Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom64 reviews
Compared to other authorities they are behind in some sectors but they are hoping to change this
The authority has undergone lots of changes in recent years but overall I would say this has resulted in positive outcomes. Budget restrictions owing to central government cuts has seen a reduction in the workforce. It has embraced technology using innovative IT systems and training is widely available and promoted at all levels
Treat people with disabilities like dirt
Treat people that become disabled like dirt and couldn't wait to get rid of me management treated me like I was a piece of meat finished on ill health and pay was shocking
Pros
Cons
Treated like dirt
Slow paced and lacking change
The very sector prevents change due to politics, democracy, red tape and convoluted processes making a role in change impossible.
Some people are lacking urgency and direction where as others have great ideas and plans but are not heard
Decent place to work
Enjoy working with the public .Hardest part of job is being on 24/7 call out can get busy and tiring .Nice to work in different locations and the work is varied.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Being on emergency call out
A good employer in difficult times
the authority is having to make cuts to public services all the time so job security is less good than it has been. Management is more focussed on savings and short cut solutions to cutting costs.
Cleaning operative
I've worked at rawmarsh comp for about ? months now. And in that time we only have been fully staffed 4X. Not much attempt at getting new staff to start to cover the work load from other staff. Staff are expected to pull in on other people's jobs areas while management don't do anything to lighten the load. The school is dirty due to lack of cleaning staff. More cleaning staff is needed on permanent contract and they need to have (as and when) cleaning staff also to cover illness and staff leaving. Kids eat in class open drinks soups in bins loads of plastic bottles all over the classroom. Tables chairs just sprawled all over the classroom. kids have no respect in putting rubbish in bins or just tucking a chair under the table.
Apart from that hours of work 3:15-6:15 term time only is a bonus. cleaning staff friendly most of them work hard but look out for the slackers.
Pros
Term time only hours
Cons
Lack of staff
At the time I worked there job security was very good, I don't think that's the case now. Staff were very down to earth and good to work with. Flexi working hours and good holidays.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
Work not varried
Temporary
Was a little short notice at when the job ended. I also felt like I wasn't given enough to do and was capable of alot more. There were some great people in the team but also some bickering which was uncomfortable to be around.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council?
Overstretched team
A committed local authority who strives for the best for the local population of Rotherham.
However due to continued need to cut the budget staff are often pushed beyond what would normally be expected of them.
Pros
Flexible hours
Productive Place
Nice place to work at
Worked on a voluntary basis and gained admin experience. Duties included:

• Utilising Microsoft software to tabulate and evaluate results on Excel; sending out invites to meetings using Outlook and writing reports using Word

• Handling calls, passing on messages and dealing with enquires.

• Taking minutes during meetings and setting the agenda.

• Working within a team to ensure all tasks are completed on time.
The gas team at RMBC building works dept was the best
Spent 16 years on housing repairs at RMBC.Absolutely loved my time there.Made some wonderful friends for life.Unfortunately building works is no more. How I wish we could turn back the clock.
Pros
good pay, pension scheme, flexible working
Cons
No cons
Developing
Found this Local Authority developing from the previous Ofted report which rated them poor.found that the staff were busy and cleeky there was a lack of togetherness. Felt supported by the line manager. Overall Management was not supportive
Pros
Developing working Practice in Tackling past CSE issues
Cons
staff over worked and underpaid
enjoyed the job
in the years i was there it was brill enjoyed every minute off it learnt more from here then any other place ive worked, brilliant people loved it. great place great people
Pros
happy place
Cons
not full time
Supportive, but not enough staff
Great job in principle, but not enough staff to be able to do a good job. I love being able to support people with medical needs to be rehoused to accessible housing, but there is not enough housing stock or staff to feel I can to a good job.
Pros
Great ethos and good teamwork.
Cons
Not enough staff
fun workplace
I like to help children with their struggles. such as not being able to cut up their dinner.
the management is very good.

its a typical day at work with the same things each day.
Never a dull day...
Working with young children can be challenging but I do believe with the right guidance we can give them a better outcome within education. I love learning with the kids as well as them teaching me key skills. On a day to day basis I typically help maintain the technology classrooms, get work out ready for the kids to work on, laser cut, chop up wood and acrylic needed for the practical lessons, make and prepare food in food studies with the SEN children and overall help the children within lessons acting as their teaching assistant. Coming to work is great because I love the people I work with, they are all helpful and kind to me and really make me want learn more about teaching. The hardest part of my job is not finding the time in a day to get everything done to the standard I would wish it to be.
Pros
The kids, my work colleagues.
Cons
The naughty kids at times.
great place to work supportive staff
Brinsworth is a fantastic place to work the staff are so helpful and supportive. All the staff want the very best for their pupils and will go all out to ensure they achieve.
Pros
friendly managment
Line Manager was supportive
I had a terrific group of dedicated foster carers and good line Manager. Social work colleagues worked hard and were supportive and friendly.

I really enjoyed working with the team but felt that there was a bullying culture from senior managers.
Pros
Great team
the children made this job
very busy but enjoyed working with children and families and supporing settings

poor management, communication and leadership from which led to many issues
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
poor management
Friendly, exhilarating and varied experiences.
Working as a poll clerk for Rotherham Council opened my eyes to many different peoples, places and mind sets. A typical day would involve interacting with people of different political views, walks of life and mind sets.
The hardest part of the job was keeping a level head when tensions were high as arguments and in some cases fights break out because of differences in political ideas. In such cases it is important to act quickly and remain calm in order to diffuse the situation.
Management unsupportive & HR useless
Rmbc?! Unsupportive & useless. Lack of knowledge; interest & support within the service as a whole. Childish management with no people skills or regard to anything other than being manipulative & self centred. All about ticking boxes & very little focus directed towards the young people & their wellbeing. Very much aimed towards who you know than what you know confirming that staff are just a number.
Lack of confidentiality & easily led by the snakes within the workforce. Bullies is an understatement & constant threats to big it up to Ofsted or be faced with the loss of your job. Avoid at all costs
Pros
beautiful children & annual leave
Cons
Everything else
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council Reviews by Location