Rolls-Royce
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from Rolls-Royce:

Rolls-Royce Employee Reviews

United Kingdom506 reviews
Good example of blue chip manufacturing company
Historic British company with interesting heritage and products. Highly process driven being the aerospace industry, offering good opportunity to learn different areas of a business without the need to move companies. Focus on culture and the work life balance, with a renewed goal of profitability and cash flow which is long overdue. This change of focus is welcomed and will stand the business in good stead moving forward.
Best company in the World without a shadow of a doubt. Safety and quality always comes first before anything. People are encouraged to better themselves in further education as well.
Good Wages.
I worked as a contractor at the Inchinnan site for just over 6 months. Wages were excellent as are the benefits if you are a full time employee. Unfortunately i had a bit of a rough ride during my time as from day one i witnessed bullying of collegues and even managers it was a toxic environment at times if it wasnt for the money i would have probably walked out. I found that a lot of the staff were long timers over 20years experience and they were the worst. They knew the system well and banded together to manipulate newer workers, contractors and again even managers. You couldn't just turn up and get on with your work without worrying you would be targeted for something. Work wise it was a very laid back atmosphere probably too laid back the company could save alot of money if they kept on top of the workers and timescales. I started at the same time as a large number of contractors who also couldnt believe what staff would get away with especially for the money you are paid. Now although my experience was mainly negative I must say that there were some really great guys in there and the work itself enjoyable when you could get on with it. Unfortunately my contract was terminated early in March due to covid-19 crisis. Although they had been given the chance to furlough us at no cost to themselves the company decided to send us home for a week and halfway through we received a call to say our contract was finished. We were not even allowed to go back to pick up our belongings from our lockers. A truly awful experience and as we were contractors the union was no where to be - more...
Pros
Excellent salary
Cons
poor management, bullying and a company that does not care about its employees.
Productive and fun.
It's a great place to work! Overall good people, competent and respectful.
Big problems with IT in general.

The RR Controls Derwent building and its surroundings are super nice.
Whilst at rolls your training is really good and you feel you are part of a family and are very proud of your workplace and the product you are producing
Manufactcturing Industry
Great to start your career as a manufacturing engineer.
Structured way of promotions - you need to write an Essay or how they call it "boarding" based on your achievements to get to the hire level. But promotional increase is not that great, so a lot of people not bothered to put an effort into that at all. Easier to change the job position inside the company and get the better deal, rather to sit and wait for promotion. Great learning courses to improve your knowledge. RR supporting studying as well. You can work and study at the University. Great apprentice opportunities if not the best in the whole country. Generally speaking I would recommend working at RR.
Unlucky
Got unlucky with my manager so had a bit of a rough ride. You have to be careful with some of the engineers as some of them put themselves on a pedestal. Didn't meet a bad soul outside of my department but sadly there was some seriously lacking management quality with my role. Lacked young blood in the office but if you go across the road to the other buildings everyone was super friendly and kind and they had a much better mix of ages and experience.
Made to feel worthwhile
A very engaging and innovative Company. They try to develope people and actively promote that emplyess should gain as much experience as possible They are very fair to work for.
Rolls Royce
An ok place to work.
Wages are really good

Not much communication between shop floor and others

Would recommend giving it a go was there3 yearsbefire igot laid off
Lots of exciting work being done
The people at Rolls make it what it is. Brilliant, driven and supportive colleagues made it a fun place to work. The exciting projects that will literally change our world are amazing to be a part of.
Interesting Experience
Started in 2012 as an IT advisor to the Business for the Windows 7 project.

Thoroughly enjoyed the different parts of the company and most of the people are just wonderful , I have worked in various parts of the Submarines but due to official secrets I cannot say anything more.
Honestly do not go to RR
You think they’d be amazing as they’re a blue chip company but believe me your in a dog eat dog work environment and people are there to shoot you in the back. Your nothing but a number
Productive and fun workplace
A very enjoyable and friendly working environment. Very inclusive workplace, treat employees equally and fair. Unlimited opportunities for progression and development.
Business driven, work hard and rewarded
Systematic and task driven roles, daily routine,
Massive Continuous improvement driven employer :)

Large department sizes, multiple managers within said department.

Work hard and you are rewarded.

Great product and company to work for, good salary, bonus' and benefits.

Wish I hadn't left, but at that point down to relocation.
Some fantastic people
Rolls-Royce has some fantastic people that are great to work with. However the organisation structure means that those working in supply chain units are usually overloaded. The company is progressive regarding flexible and part time working but there is a long hours culture.
Good working enviroment
Friendly good working enviroment,great rates of pay for the work that is expected from you and all in all it make a great differance working with a great bunch of guys
The company that condones bullying!
Diabolical management both senior and at shop floor level that refuse to open their eyes to bullying within the work place. Worst place I’ve ever worked.
Pros
Potential future
Cons
Very vindictive Bullying culture
Workplace Culture
RR has some of the best development resources I've had access to during my career. They invest heavily in people, however it is up to you to make the most of it. They try to foster a collaborative working environment and for the most part, people are supportive with a some exceptions.
Company has a strong Engineering focus, with the aim to being the best in the world whilst adhering to the highest ethical standards.
Tasks allocated and progress reviewed on a daily basis. Support and advice available via Lead Engineer. Tasks relate from testing or producing simulations of fuel controls, to writing test, similarity or waiver reports.
Most difficult part of the job relates to obtaining historical data. All is available, but due to the number of systems employed, is not readily available unless you know the systems.

Good, friendly, caring working environment.
Good
Good place to and the benefits are good. However the work can be slow going depending on the site you work on. You are driven to do well but this depends on your manager
Keep your distance from this place
Bullying culture.
Incompetent and dysfunctional senior management.

Group thinking.

People treated as commodity (significantly worsen after latest reorganisation).

Poor morale and recognition.

Too many meetings without any outcomes.

Slow-paced and disorganised.

Untruthful management.

Good place for fast trackers and career minded "bungee" managers.

Many good and hard working engineers who could deliver much more if they would be treated with respect & dignity.

Interesting & challenging engineering products, but lack of viable future direction.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rolls-Royce. Our community is ready to answer.