Rockfish Employee Reviews

Bad management, snooty staff
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth28 July 2019
Worst place I have ever worked!!! Management were not easy to approach as they had their nose stuck up their own backsides. They employed mainly 16 year olds so they didn't have to pay them so much, tips were shared with us, the waitresses aswell as the chefs, kitchen staff and the bloody management aswell as the takeaway down the road!!! If you're 16 and a mug work here!!!!

went t
Pros
Cons
Too many to list!!!!
Awful
Takeaway (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon21 April 2019
I was asked to go in for a trial shift, and I was sent a job offer. Then told that I would receive a phone call from them the next day which never happened. I had another job offer at another workplace which I turned down due to this job offer, they well and truly messed up my employment status. I was unemployed and had only just managed to find a business willing to take me on, and then they go and pull this stunt. They use you to get a free trial shift out of you and then they ditch you without any reasoning. I recommend that no one applies here as they don't treat their employees with any respect. Also, an employee is a consistent drug user. He would brag about it to everyone in the kitchen.
Pros
Cons
Disrespectufl
Productive and fun to work there
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon31 October 2017
Great place learned a lot of new skills the staff there were great polite friendly hard working it was the best experience I have ever had they served great food great drinks just a great place to go
Fun brand to work for with perks ...
Grill chef (Former Employee) –  Exmouth, Devon8 August 2017
Fun brand to work with, decent management at a local level.
High volume, moderate pressure, late finishes for chefs.
Reasonable tips if you put the hours in, great discount when eating at any Rockfish
Pros
Decent tips, fun co workers and junior managers.
Cons
Late finishes, longish hours esp if travelling.
poor
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth27 July 2017
restaurant was short hours, staff never clear with what needed to be completed not clear with any tasks. Mainly doing jobs which where not in my restriction to complete.
Cons
short hours
For those who want long hours
Junior Sous (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon19 May 2017
loved the staff who were there a the time but the management was a problem constantly so the staff turnover was through the roof. if you want long hours through the summer this is the place but be prepared for a cold winter.
fun . good work place and professional
Sous Chef/Head Chef (Former Employee) –  torquay1 February 2017
Good professional work place hard work pays off for good work and customer satisfaction.
Best part I have learned is widening my knowledge of cooking and different species of fish
Good Food, Good People
Kitchen assistant, Seafood Chef (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth10 October 2016
To be fair i learnt a lot at rockfish, however they need to get there priority's straight, and learn abit about treating there staff fairly. on the up side the people you work with are generally all rounded good people !
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Over Worked
Fun Place to work but no benifits and mismangement is rife
Seafood Chef promoted to sous (but declined) (Current Employee) –  Torquay22 April 2016
Rockfish has very good standards and ethics inc values, however the company has a constant battle retaining consistency and staff due to lack of communication and changing peoples rota with less than 24 hours notice. I had high hopes for this new venture but sadly they cannot project on to the staff the end vision that the CEO's see, resulting in myself looking for other work.
Pros
Working for Rockfish and Mitch Tonks
Cons
Long hours, lack of communication, inconsistent rotas, patronizing managers and lack of mutual respect.
Fun workplace
Kitchen Porter/Commis Chef (Current Employee) –  Torquay, ENG30 September 2015
I've learned for example how to halve a lobster, cook a fish and how to be a cheef. My workmates has given me example, that promotion is possible if u really want to.
Productive & Fun Workplace
Cook/Chef (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, ENG27 February 2015
I first started at Rockfish I was a waitress, I would have to wait on tables, run food, clean the restaurant and prepare tables for busy services. During the August and Septembers months we were serving up to 400 customers meaning I had to be alert. I moved into the kitchen where I prepare local and sustainably caught fish, sauces, salad, batter and so on. I cook, and serve food for up to 400 customers on a busy day with the help of the rest of my team.

During my time here i have learnt how to manage my time carefully when it comes to preparing dishes, also communication with staff during a busy shift. The management are easy to talk to when having a problem and the co-workers are very easy to get along with, without stepping out of their roles within the establishment.

The hardest part of this job is finding the information needed when items change on the menus from managers. However the most enjoyable part of the job is solving problems that may arise on a daily basis and the atmosphere within the workplace.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours