ROCHDALE BOROUGHWIDE HOUSING Employee Reviews

Avoid if a trades person, great if you want a made up office title.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Rochdale11 March 2019
Roughly £22.5K - £26.5K for Electrical or central heating engineers.

Toxic atmosphere, constant monitoring and tracking of employees vans and mobile devices creating a state of fear and paranoia just to get a warm coffee on a cold day. Salary not in line with competition. No option of paid overtime to increase poor salary, to reliant on work life balance as the big selling point.

Management would rather bury their heads in the sand than stick their neck on the line for fear of upsetting the apple cart and being seen as actually having their own thought process or any original ideas.

More than happy to throw extra money away to sub contractors and agency workers instead of putting it into the people that have stuck with them through the rough times (which there have been plenty)

Training and advancement opportunities are limited as it is essentially repairs and maintenance of poor quality homes. Many say they have de-skilled since joining the company, including myself. Best thing I ever did was leave.
Pros
Work life balance, great place if old and ready to retire.
Cons
Salary, penny pinching, liars, management, HR etc...
Poor Team
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Rochdale9 February 2019
Worked in IT, the IT team have very poor knowledge, no technical background, no communication skills, IT managers is poor. HR are not much better. Way out of their depth. Not sure how this company survives, give it a few years and I don't see RBH sticking around. This company reminds me of being in a school, too many thick people who get away with murder.
Good for management and admin, not for everybody else
Heating engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester18 December 2018
Definite two tier employment policy with regards to how they treat the office based and repairs staff. Not interested in your thoughts/ input. Well below average salary but work life balance is good. Bit of the big brother is watching you feeling but they do let you get on with it. Higher management seems to lack authority and direction and they are constantly try to trim back anything outside the office and their fancy projects.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Well below average salary, far too many cutbacks.
Value driven, unique Mutual society with a great work force
NHO (Current Employee) –  Rochdale2 November 2018
I have worked at RBH for approx 9 year and my role has gone full circle. From being subject to redundancy to being supported through a traineeship in a brand new team to subsequently gaining full time employment as a housing officer. And I love it! No day is the same! If you want to work somewhere with a unique mutual aspect, value driven with a great ‘feel’ about the place this is the place to look. Committed to developing existing employees with exciting opportunity’s to grow and lead an exciting career all Whilst having such a positive impact on customers in the Rochdale borough - we really do offer great places to live and work! Apply without hesitation if making a positive difference is important to you!
Pros
Work life balance, development opportunities, great people and facilities
Too much management not enough staff
Unimportant (Former Employee) –  Unimportant26 March 2018
Poor management and fail to listen. Lack of staff forced long sometimes impossible workloads.
Best thing i ever did was find a new job.
Cuts cuts cuts all about saving money on ground level but dont think twice about rewarding the higher scales. A workplace needs staff or managers that are prepared to roll their sleeves up. From my experience there wont be a RBH in 5 years !!!!
Pros
Cons
Overworked
Committed to providingv a good service
Senior Customer Involvement Officer (Former Employee) –  Boroughwide4 October 2017
A good company to work for. It is the largest Housing Mutual in England and is the UK’s first tenant and employee co-owned mutual housing society, with over 13,500 homes throughout the local area.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
Nil
secure job with decent benefits
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester5 September 2017
My typical day involves repairing tenants plumbing faults.
No 2 days are the same.
I enjoy meeting people.
I dont have any major complaints.
I get on well with my colleagues and am a respected member of staff.
Pros
good overall package. holidays, pension, medical etc
Cons
lower than average salary
Ok place to work
Plasterers (Current Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester3 August 2017
Messed me about at the beginning but then started to improve after a couple of month. I'm coming to the end of my contract and have took me off from what im ment to be learning and put me in Jobs that have no meaning for me
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Temporary job
Temporary Contract - Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester18 March 2017
Worked there for 3 months, lovely team, staff and management.
Varied work, although not varied enough for me.

Lovely canteen.

People were very helpful and approachable.
Work Summary
Heating and Plumbing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester3 December 2016
I have worked for RBH now for three years, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company and would recommend this company to others.
fun and professional
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rochdale1 November 2016
was a good way in building my confidence up and meeting new people and working in a large group and team work in a very professional environment with deadline.
Great working environment and friendly colleagues
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sandbrook Park Rochdale26 October 2016
Busy role helping tenants with repairs, rent payments, problems within their community. Learnt telephone and customer service skills. Was a team player.
Pros
Free parking, excellent facilities.
Cons
Long hours on the telephone.
good work life balance
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochdale11 July 2015
Great place to start a career in housing. Lots of benefits for employees but not a huge amount of advancement.
I have found my experience to be a positive one.
Pros
Wlb, benefits, Good Values
Cons
Poor advancement, Poor Senior Leadership
local housing manager
Local housing manager (Former Employee) –  middleton10 June 2015
A typical day would involve dealing with customers complaints either by e mail or by telephone contact.I would also monitor workloads and ensure that team members were meeting their key performance indicators.I would attend court hearings involving rent arrears and anti-social behaviour cases.On a daily basis I would deal with tenancy enforcement issues.I ensured that the team was happy in the job and working effectively.The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with children safeguarding issues as I was the nominated safeguarding officer for the townships vunerable adults and children.this involved some very difficult and sensitive cases.The job was most enjoyable when resolving a customers problem to their satisfaction.
Funplace lovely team
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, ENG7 June 2015
I worked here for 3 months on a temporary contract
my duties were to type the jobsheets for the contractors
such as the plasters, joiners ect and then later in the day
book the hours to the job
I like typing and there was a lot of that involved in the job
the management and the staff were lovely how a workplace team should be!!!!!
This was a housing assosiation and I ve never worked for one
before so I learn how to do job tickets and how inportant they were
and I worked for a big company which was a change from what Imm use to
Pros
good hours
Cons
They only give 12 week contracts
Good Place to work for those motivated in the sector
Trainee Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Old Post Office, Rochdale29 December 2013
A typical day at work (as a trainee) would be to check your e mail and diary for urgent messages / tasks which need completing; turn on your phone and check for messages; start taking incoming phone calls, usually from tenants. Phone calls could include straightfoward rent payments or more complicated issues regarding debt, payment plans, confused status regarding housing benefit and the bedroom tax.

I found the co-workers to be largely helpful and pleasant and have no complaints as to my treatment on a personal level. However I did find the work to be complicated and I would have liked more training in terms of the DSS / Benefit Services as their regulations ultimately governed the relationship between tenants and staff at RBH. I felt I was being asked to engage with the general public too soon.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to communicate with tenants over issues for which I had received adequate information. I also enjoyed preparing and filing documents and making sure that the right documents were distributed to the right tenant or staff member.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Lack of training with regard to certain issues