RNLI

RNLI Employee Reviews

United Kingdom84 reviews
Great reason to go to work
Try to get out to the coast to the stations when ever you can really makes the job, good training in ERP provided, a bit ex Navy but ok overall, decent budget too.
Great workplace and rewarding
Wonderful working environment and thoroughly rewarding. Providing support to a great lifesaving institution that gets no government support, and is a wonderful community organisation.
Family Like Environment
Training is long, detailed and intense, but once completed it gives you the ability to practise and perform lifesaving techniques on a daily basis giving everybody a confidence in their ability. Due to the friendly environment that is established from day 1. The RNLI are always happy to help come together to solve issues by working together as one unit.
Toxic Environment
Beset with issues but reliant on historical good will to maintain their supporter base. Very much rewarding of sycophancy over substance which has resulted in the better, skilled staff leaving and leaving them with a skills void which is easily seen in the difficulties staff have had in maintaining volunteer relationships.

Frequently funds were misused by management for personal gain but this was very much the norm and not challenged,. Salary was good although recently they have reduced many wages and the pension is world class.
Brilliant employer
Can honestly say it was an absolute pleasure to work for the RNLI. Supporters (customers) were all lovely, colleagues really include you from the get-go, management are clear in what they want and understanding if you have any problems, I had no problems whatsoever from them - I only wish I had worked there full time instead of on secondment!
Volunteering is gerat for you.
Feel very rewarded and loved. this is a voluntary role.. it offers good reliable training and good personal gain. brilliant organisation to work in and solid life experience.
Fun place to work
I enjoyed working at the RNLI, wish I had never left there, the job and people that were there were lovely, I left for a permanent job, if offered the chance I would go back there
Over staffed
Too many in charge walking about not making decisions and getting paid a lot to do this. Lots of public money wasted, needs exposing. Middle management overpaid
Easy but stressful
The RNLI was a happy and easy place to fit in to however the role I worked in was stressful, fast paced and overly unorganised. Despite this working for the charity gave me positive vibes whenever resolving an incident.
productive and hard working
I worked there for 3 years for Interserve I liked it, would go back if I could. Very clean very good management sometimes if it was busy then it could be stressful but that goes with most jobs.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
Busy and engaging
Built solid relationships with the coastal teams. Thoroughly enjoyed working with such welcoming people focused on making a difference to peoples lives.
Good Team Enviroment
The workshop is divided into Teams.Some of the work was working with my colleagues but other work relied on me setting my own pace to complete work. There were targets but they were achievable. The Management were very supportive
Working as a crew member is fun and can be rewarding
Working as a crew member is fun and can be rewarding, you can choose to attend multiple training courses to develop new transferable skills. Would highly recommend joining.
Volunteer
Volunteer role as crew. Excellent group of volunteers. Management are approachable and fair, crew welfare is paramount & also health & safety. Although role is unpaid as a volunteer- all out of pocket expenses are always reimbursed
Slow to change
The pace of the organisation is very slow. Senior Management should be looking at the best way to deliver the service but seem more interested in building their "empire" rather than focusing on the tasks to deliver
Rnli
I am currently a branch box collector in Bangor north wales looking after and sorting out charity boxes for this great cause.

Besides this I am also part of the committee that organises, fundraisers for and runs Moelfre Lifeboat Day once a year

Both of these roles have been absolutely amazing, working with great people for a great cause, everyone in the charity has a hirstoeu with the charity and everyone’s history is unique which makes the charity even more amazing.
Productive and fun
Become part of a family where you work close with one another to ensure the beach is safe for the public. Learn many life skills that will benefit you throughout your life.
stressful but can be fun
stressful but can be fun
full training is given and paid for

high level of fitness is required throughout the season (the workouts can be really fun)
Rapidly changing national charity supporting volunteer crew and seasonal lifeguards
National LIfesaving Charity founded in 1824. UK and Ireland coverage with over 200 lifeboat stations and seasonal lifeguarded beaches. Headquartered in Poole with approximately 1000 staff on a large campus which includes the residential RNLI College and sea survival centre.
Volunteer
Worked in the shop as a volunteer and everyone was really welcoming and happy to show you the ropes. A real community feel. I loved spending my Saturday mornings by the sea.
Worthwhile cause
Great work colleagues and a great cause. Flexible working options and you can manage your own diary. The volunteers are amazing and make the role enjoyable and worthwhile.