River Island Employee Reviews

Fun and nice enviroment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland21 September 2017
Lovely place to work and the discounts you get is amazing. If you enjoy fashion then river island would definitely be the place to work for you. However extra hours available are limited if looking for over time at any point.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Not many hours
Fun Workplace with very Friendly Staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester18 September 2017
A typical days work at River Island would involve nay different tasks and challenges, for example throughout the day you could go from serving customers and helping them buy a suit, to merchandising the shop floor and adapting it in order to maximise it effectiveness.
Productive, reasonable and a fun environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol18 September 2017
Working at river island was one of the best experiences i have had the environment is positive and the staff members are amazing to work with. the management are very supportive. the hardest part of the job was getting there i lived far from the place and that was the only disadvantage for me.
Pros
free uniform (items from the store)
Cons
lived far away
Good workplace, kept busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester17 September 2017
Good workplace, easy work, okay pay but it's very easy work, great part time job for students.

Constantly got things to do even when it's quiet so you're always kept busy.
Pros
40% off
Cons
Working in retail, tedious work
Fast Pace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whiteley, Hampshire14 September 2017
The work at River Island was very fast pace and there was always something going on. The management we nice and fair and were always there to help out anyone who was struggling. the hardest part of the job with hauling rails of clothing around all day.
Pros
Clothing discount
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Ok work enviroment
Footwear Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol City Centre, Bristol14 September 2017
Found people who work there are really friendly, great clothing and shoes, team worm, it's a great company to work for, it's a mixture of culture to work in.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
long hours on your feet
Mediocre
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Woking13 September 2017
I would tyically collect the delivery and begin tagging the items and lay them out on the shop floor. It was my first experience with customers and complaints. My main issue was the management because it seemed as though she was very patronising, referred to me with names that I never said I was happy to be called by. Most of those who worked there were very friendly and would make the work enjoyable but others were the polar opposite of my personality and some things said were misconstrued as hostile. The hardest part of the job was being asked to do things without being explained how to do them and been expected to know things even though it had been my first paid job. The best part of the job was the people i worked with because they made it enjoyable.
Pros
free uniform
Cons
the job was repetitive
Very productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire12 September 2017
I liked being constantly occupied and working hard for my money. I liked working with different staff and getting to know new people and I like fashion.
Pros
Getting to meet new people and good wage
Work/life balance not good
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear8 September 2017
Really good to work for but work / life balance is not good, good discount and salary good. Very hard work especially busy times. Uniform allowance good.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Hard work
Fun place to work
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs6 September 2017
They are fun to work for and with, have lots of care and compassion for its staff and customers. its a fast paced environment where you meet new people and faces everyday
amazing fun and friendly work place.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire5 September 2017
Working in river island is amazing, they have so many opportunities to give. You are praised for your hard work if something doesn't go as straight forward you are asked if there was something you could improve on before every shift starts you receive constructive and positive feedback. not to mention the amazing 40% discount! you are made part of the family as soon as you join the team, you are able to meet amazing costumers who become regular people that come into the store. they support you in every situation even if its outside of work.
Pros
discount and hourly pay.
Cons
monthly pay.
Horrific
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2017
they take students and then bully them to do all the work while management relaxes. They do not appreciate the staff and always try to overwork you. Not a good experience
Pros
discount
Cons
no time to breath.
productive fun worlplace
opperations (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2017
A busy day at work and never left doing nothing. there is always something that needs to be done and having a good team of managers and peers around you really helps.
Pros
never left doing nothing
Cons
Good for young people starting up
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset1 September 2017
This job fell at my feet when I was desperate for any work, they gave me more hours on my contract when I needed them. I struggled to have much time of a weekend with my family and friends because the hours of work I was contracted became more and more outrageous. I had to work every Sunday without agreeing to it,
Pros
Discount
Cons
No free weekends
enjoyable
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ealing31 August 2017
when working for River Island I gained a lot of confidence and it brought me out of my comfort zone. I also have learned a lot from the people I work with and managers and it has made me see that I can push myself more that what I have been doing.
Pros
40% off
Cons
the pay
relaxed workplace perfect whilst studying
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear29 August 2017
Flexible hours and shift patterns whilst studying.
Easy going.
Various roles.
Ability to move different stores for different roles and promotions.
All staff friendly and welcoming.
Depressing and helpless workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff28 August 2017
Pointless waste of time trap bullies despressimg incorrect pay al the time poor facilities unrefebished childish management hard labour bad pay bully people out of jobs big staff turnover
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
The whole company and management in a particular store
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 August 2017
I really enjoyed working there, not a lot of room for personal development though. My managers were nice and if you are confident with delivering customer service then this is a good role
fun environment
Stock Room & Warehouse Assistant/ Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swansea24 August 2017
really nice, environment. chilled and no ones ever angry everyone seems to enjoy working there. really nice staff and plenty of benefits thoroughly enjoying my time here.
Pros
discount
Cons
the heat
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London22 August 2017
Helped customers out and worked on he changing rooms, I learned about the different kinds of customers that entered the workplace, the staff were helpful and friendly, the hardest part of the job was when the changing rooms got busy and everything I done was enjoyable I was sad it was only a temporary job for the Christmas period.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.