River Island Employee Reviews

Not for someone looking for full time hours
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Bullring, West Midlands1 March 2018
Back of house work.
Stockroom
Lack off jobs to do.
Sitting around waiting to be told what to do as everything you did was based off what the managers of that section wanted done on that specific day.
Hardest part of the job was looking for things to do when everything had been completed so they do not give you a challenge.
The most challenging thing would probably be moving stock round to how they want it because they are quite picky.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the friends I made there, and also the customers I was able to speak to.
Pros
Free uniform, team mates.
Cons
Short hours, not a lot of commutation from managers.
i work for PMP recruitment
packing (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 February 2018
the last months work is very low 2 days a week so I look a foul time job to work 5 - 6 days a week I am very hard worker and very
responsible I can work day ore night
Toxic
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield27 February 2018
Was my first job but easily one of my worse. The managers were horrible and just gave out instructions even if there were inconvenient to the workers. I would never want to work there again.
horrible managment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Fosse Park25 February 2018
The staff were bullies making me work overtime that I couldnt do because of other things i had but threatening to take away my double pay if I didn't do it! I wouldn't work there again!
Pros
Discount and free clothes
Cons
Forced Overtime and Bullying
Exceptionally creative and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 February 2018
Whilst working at river island I was able to encounter and interact with a wide range individuals, this was a beneficial experience for me as I was able to further develop my communication and interactive skills. I enjoyed being part of the team within river island as they were very and welcoming, I was able to get along with all the staff and managers and walk away with an overall positive expirence
its ok as a first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London24 February 2018
Decent first job for people in school or college. You learn basic customer service but will need a more serious job to develop your skills in this area as the job is repetitave and does not require much
Productive and a save environment to work in
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead24 February 2018
When working at RiverIsland there was never a when there was nothing productive to do within my shifts. I have learned many retail skills which has benefited me with future jobs. The culture within the work place was well respected. The most hardest part of the job was trying to balance out college work with work. The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved in a team and experiencing a work environment.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Fun
Retail assiant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire12 February 2018
Great company , members of staff were friendly , always pushing you to do your best , excellent benefits for working with the company. All round a great job
Productive and tiring place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire12 February 2018
Working at warehouse isn't the best, but I decided to go and work there to get some experience and get some money aswell. I think is not be right job for me so personally I would prefer working at a shop.
Pros
Break time
Dont waste your time
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire11 February 2018
Horrible management, overall get treated like **** and constantly expected to do overtime. okay for getting by but definitely not somewhere you'd want to stay and keep as a career. Managers talk to you like you're stupid but if they need something doing its all rainbows and unicorns!
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Horrible management.
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 February 2018
Fairly similar regarding tasks. big disconnect between management and staff. Huge expectation on extra hours for little pay. It was a good introduction to working life.
Former employee
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford10 February 2018
Worked as retail advisor in the Bedford branch back in 2003 when min was £3.60ph for under 21's, I have never had a job that was as encouraging as River Island was.
If I could go back I would in a heartbeat, if they see potential in you they helped you to shine.
I absolutely loved all the running around!
Pros
Great career progression
Cons
Not enough working hours
each day is different
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London9 February 2018
Every day in River Island is different. It is a very exciting, fast paced workplace and you will learn something new every single day that you are there.
Fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire8 February 2018
Quite busy at times but manageable and the majority of people were friendly. However some of the managers were very rude and bossy and makes no attempt to be friendly.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woking7 February 2018
Using initiative to merchandise, replenish and promote stock in a way that best advertises the selections to result in a higher turnover of sales.
Helping in the stockroom with all the deliveris.
River Island
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 February 2018
I enjoyed my time at River Island and enjoyed members of the staff. I was sad when they could no longer provide me with anymore hours after the Christmas period.
Pros
staff, management
Overall was enjoyable, good atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 February 2018
I worked 4 hour shifts which usually consisted of me working fitting rooms and keeping the shop floor clean. My skills of working with the public were greatly enhanced
Enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  london2 February 2018
The staff are very friendly and it is an enjoyable place to work. however customers can be irritating as they think they know it all and are very messy.
It was a good place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire2 February 2018
Good place to work and friendly nice people to work with. Flexible times for work and low amount of staff which was not reliable for suitable or contracted times.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Low money
Energetic and welcoming team.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent1 February 2018
Always new skills learnt every day. Clothing allowane could be larger. Management team were very welcoming and were always willing to help. Family feel to the team.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Not allowed to swap shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.