River Island Employee Reviews

it was okay
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex14 December 2017
the staffs at river island were not so friendly to me which made me not want to work there anymore, even though it was only a christmas period.i learned a lot of reasonable skills but always felt under pressure which i did not like
fun workplace
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London13 December 2017
i enjoy working at River Island it is a fun company, the management are friendly and so is the staff they make you feel at home. I enjoyed working in a fast place environment, and learning new skills For example, i work on woman's wear shop floor but i was also trained operations which is the stock room which helped the growth on my retail knowledge. i will say the hardest part of working at river island is being able to manage task whilst being in a fast pace environment.
Pros
free lunches and prices
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 December 2017
typical day involves delivery process. Good team culture and relationships. Get along with management well. Through working on delivery it teaches you step by step processes and how to keep organised. hardest part of the job is the early mornings. Most enjoyable is the workplace culture.
Pros
Cons
Early mornings
flexible and good work life balance
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  london13 December 2017
learnt end to end order fulfilment
learnt different payment gateway
good management
flexible work life
good staff relationship and fun
i enjoyed the fact that i work from home most of the time
I enjoyed my time here
Recruitment Manager - Retail (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 December 2017
I enjoyed working for River Island but it was more about working for a well known brand.

I worked really hard here and unfortunately there was little praise or appreciation of my efforts.
Pros
Staff Shop
Cons
Lack of appreciation
Lovely place to work
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  nireland9 December 2017
I enjoyed everyday in this job, everyday was different. What you put in you get back out. You get to know your customers enabling you to provide a more personal shopping experience. The team was fantastic! A very fun place to work.
Pros
Everyday was different
Cons
No space for development
It was a way to make ends meet but I enjoyed it.
Part Time Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth5 December 2017
I only worked a few hours early morning. I'm one of those strange people who like cleaning so enjoyed it really. I worked in the various local branches. The ladies in one branch were especially nice.
Pros
Early mornings. Lot's of work to keep me busy.
Cons
One branch the people were not so friendly
fun challenging
Sales and Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 December 2017
The company have come a long way since i joined, and it is only for the better. Its a challenging environment but in a way that will get you out of bed each day, not make you want to stay in it.
There is plenty of room for progression within the ranks of River Island.
Pros
staff incentives
Cons
can be long hours
Face paced, fun, hard work
Operations Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 December 2017
River Island was a generally good company to work for in the sense of how you can progress and develop where wanted to, you would just need to voice where you want to go and the management would help guide you to where you needed to be.

After learning everything necessary to the role they may increase your responsibilities and work load, this might be where they close their eyes to seeing how much you're working, maybe too much, in the sense of back breaking efforts not appreciated how they could be.

If I could say one thing, I'd be so grateful for the opportunity and fun I had there but also for the 6 pack of abs and arms of steel ha. However they could look after their employees, particularly management a little better. perhaps bring in more incentives and something to work for, maybe rewarded for such efforts, it takes a lot of manual labour to run a store. Draining and tiring, it was worth it for the progression opportunities, if you're ambitious enough.
Cons
Please read below
Very fast paced busy workplace but enjoyable.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 December 2017
Stock Replenishment was a must here as stock would just sell so fast, good communication with the store room team was a must as stock needed to be replenished alot. Till operation was fast paced as ques never seem to disappear especially near Christmas but fast pace and busy environments are my favorite as i don't like to be bored.
Shop floors and cash tills areas had to be kept spotless at all times and this was challenging but rewarding when we got mentions.
Pros
Never got bored
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 December 2017
Great vibe with colleagues and floor manager, love the free clothes every 2 months for uniform.
I’ve learnt a lot about customer service and styling mannequins
Pros
Stylish clothes
Cons
Poor management
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast28 November 2017
It was fun as I had a different range of tasks to complete throughout my shift and this was good as I was not bored all of the time- there was always something to do, and it was interesting doing things. However, when it was busy in the store it was quite stressful.
Pros
having your break the same time as someone else
Cons
breaks were very short
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool26 November 2017
early and late shifts, must be able to work on weekends, very sociable. lovely people, must have communication skills and a good work ethic hitting targets.
Good company processes I place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon tyne23 November 2017
I oversee the day to day running of the store across women's, men's, kids and the operations. I use relevant business and commercial information to support me making daily decisions. I stay focused on priorities and use my product knowledge to help me manage the visuals to maximise sales aswell as customer service. I always condsier customers when making decisions and regularly monitor customer service levels instore.
Pros
Good staff discount
Judgement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 November 2017
Unfortunately, i found it very judgemental working in the River Island store i was in. I felt i struggled to fit in to such a small community and didn't get a welcome i felt would have made me feel more comfortable. i feel i would help out extra in certain situations and feel i didn't get any appreciation back..
good for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex19 November 2017
working at river island is good if your a uni student or at college but if there as a full time career it is not the best as there is not a lot of progression and work is repetitive and boring.
Pros
staff
Cons
repetitive work, working with the public
busy and fun environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross, London12 November 2017
shop is always busy with different types of customers coming in and out everyday. you never stop, so you're always running around the store because there is always a customer asking for something from the back or your team member needs to be covered on the shop floor. staff are friendly and approachable. good place to work is you like to be busy and talk to alot of people,you have to be confident and know what you are talking about. if you're not then retail isn't for you.
Fantastic Company with great rewards
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Canterbury12 November 2017
I loved working for River Island for the 10 years that i did. This is a fast moving retailer who is by far the best on the High Street. The only reason i couldn't return was the working hours did not suit me being a new Mum.
Pros
clothing discount
Cons
Long Days
Not enjoyable but good pay for teenagers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire11 November 2017
As a person that likes to be kept on their feet I found it extremely difficult to simply stand there and do nothing but re-hang clothes for 5 hours. The people there were not welcoming especially the managers but when you do talk to other workers you are told off making it quite lonely.
However the pay is really good and the 45% discount did come in handy and if you prefer an effortless job, this is great.
River island
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside7 November 2017
It's was 9 to 6 job ,7 days a week.I did my a one day releases at college and I learned how to us a till ,stock controller,banking and all the different materials how the garments,the manager was good and they know how to treat the staff.
Pros
Discount was good.
Cons
Sometimes they were long days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.