River Island Employee Reviews

Fun Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London14 March 2018
It is high street fashion store where you get involved with great fashion and people.The other best part it was in one of the biggest mall of London so the customers were varied.
Hard work always appreciated
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth13 March 2018
Genuine people who do their best at their jobs and care about the service they give to customers. Very much dependant on a strong manager, all branches I worked in were exceptional and each staff member cared for the service they gave. Retail management is hard going and there are very high standards to achieve in the company. A good mix of old school and new. I always loved working with long standing managers.
Pros
Great staff discount and good quality of products
Cons
long hours can be irregular based on workload
fast paced work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london12 March 2018
monotonous day, always in charge of changing rooms

displays and shop floor organisations changed every day

management was strict and not as easily approachable
Great Place To Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast9 March 2018
The River Island shops sell a diverse range of clothing and accessories for both men and women. The main emphasis is on casual clothing, however they do stock smarter garments for both sexes.
Great beginner experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
It was fun working there as my first job but it is very easy to get exploited for labour. The pay is ridiculously low compared to local stores and management was unorganised and rude.
Pros
Discount has risen
Cons
Management, Low Pay
Fub and outgoing
Shop Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  WREXHAM8 March 2018
Cleaning shop floor when opening and closing the shop.
Serving customers and making sure they have the right size in clothing and it's not damaged
Checking stock
Pros
Discount
great place to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester2 March 2018
When i was working there the management was fun and the work colleagues were always helpful and kind. The pay was different to what we were told but it didn't matter because of all the overtime we were asked to do.
Pros
great pay
Cons
constant overtime
Not for someone looking for full time hours
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Bullring, West Midlands1 March 2018
Back of house work.
Stockroom
Lack off jobs to do.
Sitting around waiting to be told what to do as everything you did was based off what the managers of that section wanted done on that specific day.
Hardest part of the job was looking for things to do when everything had been completed so they do not give you a challenge.
The most challenging thing would probably be moving stock round to how they want it because they are quite picky.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the friends I made there, and also the customers I was able to speak to.
Pros
Free uniform, team mates.
Cons
Short hours, not a lot of commutation from managers.
i work for PMP recruitment
packing (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 February 2018
the last months work is very low 2 days a week so I look a foul time job to work 5 - 6 days a week I am very hard worker and very
responsible I can work day ore night
Toxic
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield27 February 2018
Was my first job but easily one of my worse. The managers were horrible and just gave out instructions even if there were inconvenient to the workers. I would never want to work there again.
horrible managment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Fosse Park25 February 2018
The staff were bullies making me work overtime that I couldnt do because of other things i had but threatening to take away my double pay if I didn't do it! I wouldn't work there again!
Pros
Discount and free clothes
Cons
Forced Overtime and Bullying
Exceptionally creative and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 February 2018
Whilst working at river island I was able to encounter and interact with a wide range individuals, this was a beneficial experience for me as I was able to further develop my communication and interactive skills. I enjoyed being part of the team within river island as they were very and welcoming, I was able to get along with all the staff and managers and walk away with an overall positive expirence
its ok as a first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London24 February 2018
Decent first job for people in school or college. You learn basic customer service but will need a more serious job to develop your skills in this area as the job is repetitave and does not require much
Productive and a save environment to work in
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead24 February 2018
When working at RiverIsland there was never a when there was nothing productive to do within my shifts. I have learned many retail skills which has benefited me with future jobs. The culture within the work place was well respected. The most hardest part of the job was trying to balance out college work with work. The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved in a team and experiencing a work environment.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Fun
Retail assiant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire12 February 2018
Great company , members of staff were friendly , always pushing you to do your best , excellent benefits for working with the company. All round a great job
Productive and tiring place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire12 February 2018
Working at warehouse isn't the best, but I decided to go and work there to get some experience and get some money aswell. I think is not be right job for me so personally I would prefer working at a shop.
Pros
Break time
Dont waste your time
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire11 February 2018
Horrible management, overall get treated like **** and constantly expected to do overtime. okay for getting by but definitely not somewhere you'd want to stay and keep as a career. Managers talk to you like you're stupid but if they need something doing its all rainbows and unicorns!
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Horrible management.
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 February 2018
Fairly similar regarding tasks. big disconnect between management and staff. Huge expectation on extra hours for little pay. It was a good introduction to working life.
Former employee
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford10 February 2018
Worked as retail advisor in the Bedford branch back in 2003 when min was £3.60ph for under 21's, I have never had a job that was as encouraging as River Island was.
If I could go back I would in a heartbeat, if they see potential in you they helped you to shine.
I absolutely loved all the running around!
Pros
Great career progression
Cons
Not enough working hours
each day is different
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London9 February 2018
Every day in River Island is different. It is a very exciting, fast paced workplace and you will learn something new every single day that you are there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.