River Island Employee Reviews

good place to work for a first job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth City Centre, Devon10 October 2017
the customers are lovely and a few people that work in the river island store. the most enjoyable thing about river island is getting 40% discount on clothes if you work in there. the hardest part of the job would have to be hitting the target sales.
Pros
good working times
Cons
no free time on weekends
Best thing is staff discount
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 October 2017
Management don't seem to care about workers much - no support with days off/being ill.

The only perk is staff discount and free uniform.

You'll be lucky to get a day off given to you or even to go home if you're unwell.
Tedious
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil5 October 2017
It was a great first job but the management i had made things very difficult with the manager and assistant manager not being very helpful. Salary was decent along with benefits.
Hard work but rewarding...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 October 2017
I spent the large proportion of my days working at RI either on the shop floor or in the back sorting out stock. It was very tiresome at times but rewarding as I really enjoyed helping customers find exactly what they were looking for. The culture of the workplace was fun and lively at times but also very goal driven and focused. The hardest part of the job was definitely working during the holiday season such as the Christmas period. The influx of customers definitely keeps you on your toes the entire shift!
Eyeopening
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Finchley3 October 2017
Working in River Island through the busy Christmas period, I learnt how to deal with very busy and chaotic situations, ensuring that I am working efficiently to provide customers with great service but to also be aware of my time management. Working at customer services I also learnt how to maintain a professional and patient attitude when dealing with distressed customers to keep a calm environment for shoppers. I also worked on all departments including: ladies wear, footwear and accessories, which gave me an insight on gaining the skill of product knowledge.
rubbish
Sales advisor- I started (Former Employee) –  Exeter2 October 2017
Get treated like rubbish by management. You don't get the break your required to have legally. Staff are stuck up and think they they can treat the younger staff like rubbish
Pros
Clothes balance
Cons
rubbish shifts
boring, no training
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  hurtle1 October 2017
I hadn't done retail before and they gave me no training so I didn't know what I was doing, plus they knew that I didn't have retail experience before
Not an enjoyable job
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire30 September 2017
I like the job but it’s not worth the money and effort I put in it. I don’t get enough time off and I feel like I work all week. The hours are rubbish and I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work there unless they don’t want a career
Pros
50% discount
Unpleaseant place to work
Sales Advisor (Christmas temp) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2017
I did not enjoy this job, the managers were very inconsistent and would always give you conflicting information. I was never sure of my hours and it was a very unstable place to work.

There was no teamwork nor chances to advance your career.
bad management but some good perks
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  liverpool27 September 2017
Enjoyed working with customers but not with management. they are not keen on developing people in their role. nice perks - free clothes every 4 months.
Sales Advisor
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex25 September 2017
Dealing with day to day customers advising on clothing or footwear, ensuring the displays where clean tidy and looked inviting to the customer eye, ensureing clothing was sized tidy so easy to find.
Looking out for customer needs and inspiring them into change, look at something they may not normally buy and creating a sale as sending the customer away happy.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire24 September 2017
The working environment was very productive. The management within the business is at a very good state, employees within the business are aware of what to accomplish during a specific time period
Pros
good working environment
Cons
high expectations
Horrible atmosphere management are wierd and fake
Sales Advisor- Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire24 September 2017
Worked here for 5 months and I was so miserable. The management were awful oh and useless they'd walk around with this piece of paper dictating breaks.. And you'd see them stood about talking and not working they were nasty characters also no people skills or personality they were so false
Store manager was miserable never acknowledged anybody unless you were part of her click, terrible environment not allowed to have a drink of water only when on your break!!!their reasoning was people took the mick getting drinks!!!!
Pros
Discount clothes
Cons
Long hours rubbish pay
It was a fun work place but also serious at same time
River island (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 September 2017
Working in river land was a good thing for me because it help me push myself to a limit that was needed and also push up my communication skills . I was happy to work there
Cons
I didn’t have long hours because I was just a college student doing a simple work experience .
work long hours not enjoyable
Christmas temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 September 2017
long hours , pressured to work overtime even when you tell them your a student. benefit of work uniform and discount however if your new they seemed annoyed that you bothered asking
Very busy but low pay
Full time Sales Assistant (Level 1) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 September 2017
River island is a fantastic place to work to gain customer service experience, its ideal if you are studying or wanting to work part time but i wouldn't recommend working here permanently for a long length amount of time.
Fun and nice enviroment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland21 September 2017
Lovely place to work and the discounts you get is amazing. If you enjoy fashion then river island would definitely be the place to work for you. However extra hours available are limited if looking for over time at any point.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Not many hours
Fun Workplace with very Friendly Staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester18 September 2017
A typical days work at River Island would involve nay different tasks and challenges, for example throughout the day you could go from serving customers and helping them buy a suit, to merchandising the shop floor and adapting it in order to maximise it effectiveness.
Productive, reasonable and a fun environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol18 September 2017
Working at river island was one of the best experiences i have had the environment is positive and the staff members are amazing to work with. the management are very supportive. the hardest part of the job was getting there i lived far from the place and that was the only disadvantage for me.
Pros
free uniform (items from the store)
Cons
lived far away
Good workplace, kept busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester17 September 2017
Good workplace, easy work, okay pay but it's very easy work, great part time job for students.

Constantly got things to do even when it's quiet so you're always kept busy.
Pros
40% off
Cons
Working in retail, tedious work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.