River Island Employee Reviews

Found 1,127 reviews matching the search See all 1,242 reviews
good place to work
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Bath22 May 2018
good benefits and really good pay for retail, just get boring as it's the same thing everyday. Christmas time is crazy busy and they aren't very good with allowing holiday at certain periods of time.
Pros
good discount and pay
Cons
long hours, boring, holiday is rubbish
Love love love
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire20 May 2018
I worked at river island for a month or 2 but i guess it has its benefits. I mean free uniform after 2 consecutive shift? YEAAHHH!!! Uniform=amazing clothing from the store and its your choice. I loved working here. Safe to say its the best store ive worked for. Amazing team and amazing benefits.
Pros
Amazing Team, Benefits
Do not work here.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire17 May 2018
What a disastrous place. unorganised, demoralising, poorly managed. You are worked like a slave for little money. Hated, hated, hated every minute and couldn't wait to get out the door fast enough. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Not one thing...
Cons
Management, Area management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grays12 May 2018
- Set shifts
- no day is the same as tasks vary depending on where you're needed
- good pay
- good management
- although sometimes very busy, it is a nice atmosphere to work in
Pros
Set shifts so you always know what you're doing & can plan the rest of your week
Cons
Not too much overtime
firm but fair
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria10 May 2018
it is a very balanced life to work ratio, the management are firm yet also fair. since working there i have excelled in my customer serves skills and people skills. the most enjoyable part of the job is when we meet our targets.
Pros
balanced life
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear9 May 2018
Working for this brand was a good way of learning about the world of retail. I was constantly kept busy and developed many skills whilst working there.

Opportunities to further your career are available, and the employee discounts are amazing!
Not for me..
Administrator (Current Employee) –  London9 May 2018
I can't make a judgement call for the whole head office as it's over 1000 employees but the department of which I worked in wasn't for me with no chance of progression.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everyone is so nice and welcoming and the management is amazing
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London9 May 2018
I was only a Christmas temp while working there and I wish I was still there it was one of the best jobs I’ve ever had and loved any minute, the salary was good and the people you are working with is amazing!
Pros
Amazing staff, good discount off clothes, customers are usually nice
Excellent
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chester9 May 2018
My review was river island is a great company rule abiding strict but they make you aware in advance so when you work you can’t complain as you have been pre warned work hard or leave is how I believe it is as there is someone who wants to do that same job just better.
okay job
Women's product manager (Former Employee) –  England8 May 2018
the discount is good, you get uniform every 3 months. not a big enough uniform allowance for women considering you have to wear River Island clothes every day, 5 days a week and the women clothes are twice the price of mens.
higher management are hit and miss, some are great, some not so much.
very little recognition in smaller stores.
very high theft rate and very little trust in employees which lowers morales.
Pros
good discount
Cons
overtime, management
Fun workplace.
Full Time Sales Associate, Bullring (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 May 2018
I worked for River Island as my first retail job & really enjoyed it. It was a busy, fast paced store which helped make the time go fast & the whole team was really friendly.
Lovely place of work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 May 2018
Lovely place to work worked there for three years and was given many opportunities to enhance my skills and knowledge in retail. Lovely people to work with.
Good first job
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Southampton3 May 2018
I found river island to be the perfect first job or part time job for students. It allowed a good work/life balance which is essential at that point of your career.
Pros
Sociable
Cons
Retail
not a great place and not great manaement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater30 April 2018
demanding without any input, poorly managed and not a very nice place to work.
The management are not very welcoming, not very experienced and don't put in much to guide their people.
Pros
Some nice clothes
Cons
Horrible people
really interactive and positive work place.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands30 April 2018
i start work at 10 o'clock on a Saturday morning as i only work there part time. i spend about 4hours there on a shift as they are the hours given too me. however i do end up working later if needed.
Pros
discount, friendly staff and more hours given
Cons
set times for shifts.
Relaxed and positive
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby30 April 2018
A good, relaxed place of work with friendly management and colleagues. Working here enabled me to increase my customer service levels whilst also improving cash handling skills.
youthful job
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Merseyside29 April 2018
For a part time job River Island wasn't bad. youthful and fun environment amongst other work but poor management. Quite demanding of staff but not particularly unfair in general.
Pros
40% off clothing
Cons
Assistant manager had zero people skills.
productive and fun
Warehouse Operative (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street27 April 2018
Delivery management
• -Stock control
• -Stock security
• -In store customer service
working as a team and completing tasks at a fast pace in a busy environment.
Depends what job role you have
Sales and Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear21 April 2018
I currently work in a sales and service role and its pointless. Staff are rude, especially if you're new as they're unwilling to help you. Management are unreliable especially with the rota it's always put up at the last minute. The shift hours are short but are weird times and hours aren't changed very often which is unfair if you have to work the late shifts every week. In terms of work life balance its hard to make plans especially when the rota isn't put up with enough time to make plans. Also they're very stingy with holidays, you can request it off but they always reject them which is unfair as sometimes I have had to cancel plans and lost money because of it, they're very unfair with students around exam time also as they don't allow holidays in May/ June. Pay is a positive however as it's above minimum wage and also discount is great but it is capped. Uniform allowance is strict as you have to buy clothes that are cheap enough to come under the allowance. Overall the role is boring but it totally depends on the job role, who's working and whether it's busy or not. The hardest part of the job is the pressure management put you under to meet sales targets, the easiest is how it requires basic skill.
Pros
Good discount, good wage
Cons
bad management, poor work- life balnce, late shifts
Great perks, no atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol19 April 2018
Brilliant perks in the job but there was no atmosphere within the store. There was no team work in the particular store and not a lot of help from the manager. Lovely clothes though and depending on what hours you work, there would be a monthly budget to buy clothes with.
Pros
clothes discount
Cons
no motive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.