River Island Employee Reviews

Fantastic Company with great rewards
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Canterbury12 November 2017
I loved working for River Island for the 10 years that i did. This is a fast moving retailer who is by far the best on the High Street. The only reason i couldn't return was the working hours did not suit me being a new Mum.
Pros
clothing discount
Cons
Long Days
Not enjoyable but good pay for teenagers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire11 November 2017
As a person that likes to be kept on their feet I found it extremely difficult to simply stand there and do nothing but re-hang clothes for 5 hours. The people there were not welcoming especially the managers but when you do talk to other workers you are told off making it quite lonely.
However the pay is really good and the 45% discount did come in handy and if you prefer an effortless job, this is great.
River island
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside7 November 2017
It's was 9 to 6 job ,7 days a week.I did my a one day releases at college and I learned how to us a till ,stock controller,banking and all the different materials how the garments,the manager was good and they know how to treat the staff.
Pros
Discount was good.
Cons
Sometimes they were long days.
productive
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough7 November 2017
Working at river island was a job which i enjoyed however being at a young age it was very full on with school being a priority. i wasnt till trained until 8 months of working there but other people whohad started the jobs months after me had been
Pros
discount/ clothes
Cons
always got put on the same department
overal workeperience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool5 November 2017
Overall, I very much enjoyed my time as a sales assistant at river island. the skills and knowledge I gained working for such a well established a popular company are extremely valuable to me that I can transfer to over job roles during my future working life. along with that I gained friends (staff and management alike ) that I will keep for a lifetime and it also heightened my love for fashioned and I have nothing but love for the company.
Always fun to work there
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford31 October 2017
It can be tiring sometimes and stressful and even challenging but i have i liked the experience and it has giving me more experience so i can handle pressure and still meet target even when under pressure
work place
Sales consultant (Former Employee) –  london30 October 2017
stacking shelfs everyday when i was meant to be on tills
no trust issues as i was young
always made staff stay back with out overtime pay
not a great place to work
Boring, stressful and anti-social.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  White City29 October 2017
I was put in the fitting room every shift where I just stood there for 4 hours+. A lot of staff called in sick meaning there was more pressure on me to sort out all of the clothing in the fitting room as well as take them out onto the shop floor again. At times there were only 3 staff on a busy Saturday which was ridiculous! 10 minutes before the end of a long shift, some management would ask to stay an extra 4 hours due to staff calling in sick. I was under 18 and was made to work 10 hour shifts with only one one-hour break which is against the law I believe. Pay was awful (£5.80 an hour) and no extra pay when I worked on Sundays and Bank Holidays. No commission for sales. Wouldn't recommend any one to work there had a very poor experience.
Pros
40% Staff Discount
Cons
No extra pay for working on Sundays/Bank Holidays, Ask for overtime last minute, Staff called in sick all the time meaning more pressure on the staff that are there to work longer
ok place to work
service assistant (Former Employee) –  Renfrewshire27 October 2017
ok place to work, really good when its busy during the Christmas period, but not so good when its quiet. not really got much of a team spirit either
Fun Workplace
Sales/Stockroom/Product Operative (Former Employee) –  London27 October 2017
- The team was supportive.
- The more you learn about your role the more you can apply yourself.
- A typical day at work would include going over what needs to be done in terms of priority.
Amazing!
Order Input Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hanger Lane Station22 October 2017
A great place to work. The benefits and incentives are amazing from 50% discount to company, events always happening. The working environment here is like no other. Its working environment is let down by poor management and lack of progression.
Team coordinated
Level 2 Sales Advisor/Operations Key holder (Current Employee) –  Newtownabbey, County Antrim18 October 2017
A typical day at River Island would consist of coming in the morning going through paperwork, checking emails setting up the store for the day for example walking through the shop floor and stock room finding out what needs to be completed on the day. After the shop has opened it would mainly consist of good customer service and completing tasks when customers do not need my help. The hardest part of my job would be if I do not get tasks done to perfection and the most enjoyable would have to be if I have a nice customer who I feel I have made their experience in our shop enjoyable and they walk away happy.
Fairly Repetitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking18 October 2017
The certain branch that I worked at did not have many employees which made it a very repetitive working environment. A typical shift would only entail a hand full of employees including myself. However the management can not be faulted and the existing employees are very welcoming.
Hard working
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire17 October 2017
You must work hard and the policy is not suitable for everyone. I try to manage my day life with my working life but it very hard to change what i want with what i need
Not very friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Silver link Retail Park16 October 2017
Worked as a christmas temp and the permanent staff were very rude and not nice to work with and also the pay was not very good compared to other retail businesses.
Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2017
Worked at River Island for a few years, great first proper job. Hardest part of the job is it very repetitive and the customers can be very difficult with little help from managers.
Fun work place
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire15 October 2017
Staff were nice but hours took up a lot of my time which made things stressful. Being a new worker, I was told to do a lot of jobs straight away and it became very intense quickly, especialy as it was during sales seasons.
Not the best plave to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex14 October 2017
The management in river island was not good at all, the managers had different rules for different people depending on how they felt about them. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and working with other colleagues that were on the same level as me. A typical day at work for me would be putting out rejects and recovering the floor, you were not allowed to talk to other members of staff. Also the pay at river island was not good, I was paid £5.60 per hour.
Pros
Uniform allowance
Cons
Pay, management
Very bad place
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 October 2017
River island is the worst place i have worked at and ive worked in a few other retail jobs before. The managers dont care about you weather your doing anytbing ot not. On my first two days i did no get trained to do anything at all. It waa the worst experience beacuse i wanted to learn everytbjng but everytjme i went to my manager she'd give me a small job like lining up the clothes on the racks and thats about it. They didnt tell me anything about stock rooms, how to check sizes etc.
Hated it and left staight away.
Pros
Discount
Poor Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire11 October 2017
Rude managers that believe it's one rule for them and another for everyone else. They stand around chatting whilst the lowest paid employees slave away to keep the store running. No recognition for excellent customer service.
Unable to swap shifts with other employees for any reason.
Made to come in when ill.
Pros
Free clothes
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.