River Island Employee Reviews

okay job
Women's product manager (Former Employee) –  England8 May 2018
the discount is good, you get uniform every 3 months. not a big enough uniform allowance for women considering you have to wear River Island clothes every day, 5 days a week and the women clothes are twice the price of mens.
higher management are hit and miss, some are great, some not so much.
very little recognition in smaller stores.
very high theft rate and very little trust in employees which lowers morales.
Pros
good discount
Cons
overtime, management
Fun workplace.
Full Time Sales Associate, Bullring (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 May 2018
I worked for River Island as my first retail job & really enjoyed it. It was a busy, fast paced store which helped make the time go fast & the whole team was really friendly.
Lovely place of work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 May 2018
Lovely place to work worked there for three years and was given many opportunities to enhance my skills and knowledge in retail. Lovely people to work with.
Good first job
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Southampton3 May 2018
I found river island to be the perfect first job or part time job for students. It allowed a good work/life balance which is essential at that point of your career.
Pros
Sociable
Cons
Retail
not a great place and not great manaement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater30 April 2018
demanding without any input, poorly managed and not a very nice place to work.
The management are not very welcoming, not very experienced and don't put in much to guide their people.
Pros
Some nice clothes
Cons
Horrible people
really interactive and positive work place.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands30 April 2018
i start work at 10 o'clock on a Saturday morning as i only work there part time. i spend about 4hours there on a shift as they are the hours given too me. however i do end up working later if needed.
Pros
discount, friendly staff and more hours given
Cons
set times for shifts.
Relaxed and positive
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby30 April 2018
A good, relaxed place of work with friendly management and colleagues. Working here enabled me to increase my customer service levels whilst also improving cash handling skills.
youthful job
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Merseyside29 April 2018
For a part time job River Island wasn't bad. youthful and fun environment amongst other work but poor management. Quite demanding of staff but not particularly unfair in general.
Pros
40% off clothing
Cons
Assistant manager had zero people skills.
productive and fun
Warehouse Operative (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street27 April 2018
Delivery management
• -Stock control
• -Stock security
• -In store customer service
working as a team and completing tasks at a fast pace in a busy environment.
Depends what job role you have
Sales and Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear21 April 2018
I currently work in a sales and service role and its pointless. Staff are rude, especially if you're new as they're unwilling to help you. Management are unreliable especially with the rota it's always put up at the last minute. The shift hours are short but are weird times and hours aren't changed very often which is unfair if you have to work the late shifts every week. In terms of work life balance its hard to make plans especially when the rota isn't put up with enough time to make plans. Also they're very stingy with holidays, you can request it off but they always reject them which is unfair as sometimes I have had to cancel plans and lost money because of it, they're very unfair with students around exam time also as they don't allow holidays in May/ June. Pay is a positive however as it's above minimum wage and also discount is great but it is capped. Uniform allowance is strict as you have to buy clothes that are cheap enough to come under the allowance. Overall the role is boring but it totally depends on the job role, who's working and whether it's busy or not. The hardest part of the job is the pressure management put you under to meet sales targets, the easiest is how it requires basic skill.
Pros
Good discount, good wage
Cons
bad management, poor work- life balnce, late shifts
Great perks, no atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol19 April 2018
Brilliant perks in the job but there was no atmosphere within the store. There was no team work in the particular store and not a lot of help from the manager. Lovely clothes though and depending on what hours you work, there would be a monthly budget to buy clothes with.
Pros
clothes discount
Cons
no motive
Just a job
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire18 April 2018
There was not too much to complain about, the job itself wasn't over complicated, it was actually rather simple, however it was a little disappointing no one would talk to me and the management wasn't the best help either.
Fun workplace and comprehensive training
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire17 April 2018
Hours in the day shifts are usually shorter for part time staff and at frustrating times of the day e.g. 11am-5pm making a part time shift feel more like a full time shift due to the long hours. There is a really good opportunities to learn new skills such as till operation.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Odd hours
Bad place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol17 April 2018
Bad place to work. I worked in Cabot circus one and it was okay. Got you to do everything in sight when they didn’t do anything. Security is so bad as I had my birthday money nicked out my purse which the manager then told me it was my fault.
Pros
New people
Cons
No security
Made some friends but did not like working there
River island- sales advisor temp (Former Employee) –  Chester13 April 2018
I found that River Island didn't care for their employees as much as they should. And the employees were not respected by some senior staff. I found that if some new staff made a mistake this would not be taken lightly by the senior employees.
Fast paced
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 April 2018
Here I mainly worked in the fitting rooms so it was a lot of customer communication. I learned how to approach customers and how to clean the rejects. The management was not the best and the working rota was always out very last minute leaving it hard to build a social life around it. As well as this they were not very lenient when it came to holidays. It did become a difficult job when the store was busy and you may be alone but other than that it wasn't too bad.
Pros
discount
Good environment to work in!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire10 April 2018
I loved working in this store. I was only 16 when i worked here and this was my first job. everyone was so welcoming and hard working and i learnt a lot of skills working here. the training was good and i was trained on all departments of this store. highly recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
good atmosphere, good training, friendly staff members
Cons
low pay as its retail
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire10 April 2018
good place to start off, maybe part time or during education.i enjoyed it for the most part, hourly rate isnt the best, but people there are nice and amanagers are helpful.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
hard work
warehouse
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln9 April 2018
No reference given, the discount is capped and totally unfair. Management are grumpy and it is sales driven target aimed slavery. RI should not be open boxing day.
Not great
Ladies Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands8 April 2018
I left another high street brand to work at Riverisland as a Ladies product Manager. The whole company is very demanding and there are far too many roles within one store. A lot of management issues resulted from too many roles. I was personally in a store with a team of a older generation that weren't open to new ideas despite the company wanting these ideas to be used. I felt like I lost all my merchandising knowledge as the ladies product manager is in no way a merchandising role unless no one else can do the job basically. A lot of bad hours such as working till 1am and back in for 7am. really would not recommend anyone to work for them as sales or management.
Pros
great discount
Cons
bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.