River Island Employee Reviews

Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 February 2018
Fairly similar regarding tasks. big disconnect between management and staff. Huge expectation on extra hours for little pay. It was a good introduction to working life.
Former employee
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford10 February 2018
Worked as retail advisor in the Bedford branch back in 2003 when min was £3.60ph for under 21's, I have never had a job that was as encouraging as River Island was.
If I could go back I would in a heartbeat, if they see potential in you they helped you to shine.
I absolutely loved all the running around!
Pros
Great career progression
Cons
Not enough working hours
each day is different
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London9 February 2018
Every day in River Island is different. It is a very exciting, fast paced workplace and you will learn something new every single day that you are there.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire8 February 2018
Quite busy at times but manageable and the majority of people were friendly. However some of the managers were very rude and bossy and makes no attempt to be friendly.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woking7 February 2018
Using initiative to merchandise, replenish and promote stock in a way that best advertises the selections to result in a higher turnover of sales.
Helping in the stockroom with all the deliveris.
River Island
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 February 2018
I enjoyed my time at River Island and enjoyed members of the staff. I was sad when they could no longer provide me with anymore hours after the Christmas period.
Pros
staff, management
Overall was enjoyable, good atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 February 2018
I worked 4 hour shifts which usually consisted of me working fitting rooms and keeping the shop floor clean. My skills of working with the public were greatly enhanced
Enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  london2 February 2018
The staff are very friendly and it is an enjoyable place to work. however customers can be irritating as they think they know it all and are very messy.
It was a good place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire2 February 2018
Good place to work and friendly nice people to work with. Flexible times for work and low amount of staff which was not reliable for suitable or contracted times.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Low money
Energetic and welcoming team.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent1 February 2018
Always new skills learnt every day. Clothing allowane could be larger. Management team were very welcoming and were always willing to help. Family feel to the team.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Not allowed to swap shifts.
fun friendly workplace
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield31 January 2018
a fun friendly environment to work in everyone was very nice days were structured and flexible working hours management really nice and understanding good training
good place to work
Mobile Manager (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 January 2018
enjoyed it, just looking for a change. very unsociable hours, don't always feel job satisfaction because your always being pulled to help elsewhere. learnt useful skills
Pros
50% discount
Cons
unsocialable hours
Retail Advisor (Former Employee) –  London28 January 2018
It was the people that made this job fun! We were all similar ages and used to have a laugh. The shop was always vibrant and upbeat, and was a nice place to be
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks25 January 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed working here. Managers were lovely and very helpful, existing staff very welcoming. Learnt effectively to work in retail and although at times was stressful, overal a great experience.
Sales advisor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 January 2018
A very challenging job as I was in charge of overall shop demands. Seeing as I generally work on slow days, the customer flow was calm, but because I was responsible for more than just customer service, I was always busy
Decent job with minimal progression available.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh19 January 2018
Good part time job however they are not very career orientated and are more focused on the day to day running of the shops. Good staff hours are not bad
xmas temp
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston19 January 2018
Busy store located in the shopping centre, many customers visit here daily and shop for all different reasons, Staff were great and shop had a vibrant feel and look. I enjoyed monitoring fitting rooms and giving advice on chosen outfits.
awful job
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire18 January 2018
worst place I have ever work, staff are always rude and don't care about anyone but themselves, do not care if you are ill or in hospital still make you feel bad for being off
Amazing place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2018
Amazing place to work depending on which store you work at.
Good place to work if you get enough hours or days so part time or full time contract . Otherwise afew hours a day twice a week isn’t enough work wise, if your wanting a good pay end of month or if you want a more full time position unless you pick up hours at anouther store.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours, not enough days of work
Good for first job/part-time
sales assistnat (Current Employee) –  WORCESTERSHIRE17 January 2018
I began working here when I was 16. It's ideal for students/young people looking for a bit of money. However, I have worked here now for nearly 4 years and I have found it very difficult to get extra hours, resulting in me needing to look for a new job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.