River Island Employee Reviews

Hard Work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire6 June 2018
A typical day at work would be working hard and long hours and getting stupid orders from inexperienced managers. The wage did not sometimes reflect the work, especially if your job was to work on delivery for six hours in the middle of summer with no fan to stay cool.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Low limit on the discount
Temporary contract
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham5 June 2018
Give very basic training about manual handling, was trained how to use the stock checking equipment had to figure it out or ask standard members of staff for help, lucky was only there a month
Pros
Cons
Whole thing
the workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London East, Greater London5 June 2018
The managers are very helpful. When giving a task they make sure you completely understand the task and stay close to you just in case you need to ask for help. I've recently learned how to do transfer Which is transferring products from one store to another. The task was explained and gave a demonstration, which was helpful. With the help given, I was able to do the task with no extra assistance.
Pros
straight forward
Cons
can be tedious
Fun
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill5 June 2018
it has very good security but the workplace the team am not very nice, not very helpful at all, and equipment you have to clean with is dirty. i wouldn't work there again
good if you don't really care
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge4 June 2018
not an awful place too work but very shallow environment. would suit someone more into fashion that I am. fairly decent hours for retail. fun in the stockroom
Pros
generous discount and uniform scheme
Cons
very low pay
Good working environment
customer assitant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth3 June 2018
Riveer Island offers an opportunity to enter the fashion industry and develop your understanding of the latest trends. In addition, River provides a nice working environment, ensuring that the technology used is up to date and easy to use.
Awful - modern day slavery
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 June 2018
No appreciation from the management, your shifts are changed whenever the managers feel like it. Managers treat you like dirt. No progression. understaffed and over worked. Management are incompetent. Discrimination is apparent.
Manager
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds30 May 2018
Alongside my studies at University, I have also taken inspiration from my involvement of work experiences, whilst working at River Island as a cashier and sales assistant. This employment has helped me develop several skills in working with figures and the ability to accurately handle, organise and analyse information. From this experience, I am more intrigued to learn about finance and accountancy. With my experience I have learnt skills such as profit production due to selling and also financial ethics.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol30 May 2018
Fun place to work, managers were amazing and were always there for when people needed support, money wasn't the best but for students etc it is the perfect job
The Workplace feels like a family
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset22 May 2018
All employees have a close bond and it is a lovely family to be a part of. Everyone treats each other with respect, which is very nice in the work place. There are times when it can be hard to get along with everyone but this is rare in River Island. Salary is average and decent, however i feel there is not a large amount of room to advance in personal improvement within retail.
Pros
Family-like employees
Cons
Retail can be boring
good place to work
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Bath22 May 2018
good benefits and really good pay for retail, just get boring as it's the same thing everyday. Christmas time is crazy busy and they aren't very good with allowing holiday at certain periods of time.
Pros
good discount and pay
Cons
long hours, boring, holiday is rubbish
Love love love
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire20 May 2018
I worked at river island for a month or 2 but i guess it has its benefits. I mean free uniform after 2 consecutive shift? YEAAHHH!!! Uniform=amazing clothing from the store and its your choice. I loved working here. Safe to say its the best store ive worked for. Amazing team and amazing benefits.
Pros
Amazing Team, Benefits
Do not work here.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire17 May 2018
What a disastrous place. unorganised, demoralising, poorly managed. You are worked like a slave for little money. Hated, hated, hated every minute and couldn't wait to get out the door fast enough. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Not one thing...
Cons
Management, Area management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grays12 May 2018
- Set shifts
- no day is the same as tasks vary depending on where you're needed
- good pay
- good management
- although sometimes very busy, it is a nice atmosphere to work in
Pros
Set shifts so you always know what you're doing & can plan the rest of your week
Cons
Not too much overtime
firm but fair
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria10 May 2018
it is a very balanced life to work ratio, the management are firm yet also fair. since working there i have excelled in my customer serves skills and people skills. the most enjoyable part of the job is when we meet our targets.
Pros
balanced life
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear9 May 2018
Working for this brand was a good way of learning about the world of retail. I was constantly kept busy and developed many skills whilst working there.

Opportunities to further your career are available, and the employee discounts are amazing!
Not for me..
Administrator (Current Employee) –  London9 May 2018
I can't make a judgement call for the whole head office as it's over 1000 employees but the department of which I worked in wasn't for me with no chance of progression.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everyone is so nice and welcoming and the management is amazing
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London9 May 2018
I was only a Christmas temp while working there and I wish I was still there it was one of the best jobs I’ve ever had and loved any minute, the salary was good and the people you are working with is amazing!
Pros
Amazing staff, good discount off clothes, customers are usually nice
Excellent
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chester9 May 2018
My review was river island is a great company rule abiding strict but they make you aware in advance so when you work you can’t complain as you have been pre warned work hard or leave is how I believe it is as there is someone who wants to do that same job just better.
okay job
Women's product manager (Former Employee) –  England8 May 2018
the discount is good, you get uniform every 3 months. not a big enough uniform allowance for women considering you have to wear River Island clothes every day, 5 days a week and the women clothes are twice the price of mens.
higher management are hit and miss, some are great, some not so much.
very little recognition in smaller stores.
very high theft rate and very little trust in employees which lowers morales.
Pros
good discount
Cons
overtime, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.