River Island Employee Reviews

Fun but busy work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire29 December 2017
I liked the job but I was only a Christmas temp, the job could of given more training as I was till trained correctly but then was moved onto stock without any training atall so found it difficult especially around a busy period like Christmas
Pros
Discount on clothing
Cons
Not enough training
Depends
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  London24 December 2017
It can be terribly boring and uncomfortable, or fun and lively, depending on the people who are present and the current weather. Windows never opened.
Cons
Lack of oxygen; extreme temperatures in certain parts of warehouse.
The workplace
Part Time customer services assistant (Current Employee) –  West Thurrock19 December 2017
River Island is a friendly shop for customers to feel as they can ask anything they desire to know. However being apart of stuff their was a lot of pressure which sometimes made the job less enjoyable. The people I work with are lovely, friendly people and are a joy to work alongside with. The hardest part of the job is doing all the tasks and more you are given to do while keeping customers happy and the shop floor presentable. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping someone find an item they want. Also when in fitting rooms complementing the customers on the clothing they are trying on and boosting their confidences.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Always on the same department
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester16 December 2017
overall a friendly and genuine workplace, a lot of part time students and not many staff over the age of 20 but I had fond memories at my short time working here. very easy work and the managers are very professional. would love to go back.
Pros
discount and uniform bonus
Cons
9 hour contracts :(
it was okay
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex14 December 2017
the staffs at river island were not so friendly to me which made me not want to work there anymore, even though it was only a christmas period.i learned a lot of reasonable skills but always felt under pressure which i did not like
fun workplace
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London13 December 2017
i enjoy working at River Island it is a fun company, the management are friendly and so is the staff they make you feel at home. I enjoyed working in a fast place environment, and learning new skills For example, i work on woman's wear shop floor but i was also trained operations which is the stock room which helped the growth on my retail knowledge. i will say the hardest part of working at river island is being able to manage task whilst being in a fast pace environment.
Pros
free lunches and prices
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 December 2017
typical day involves delivery process. Good team culture and relationships. Get along with management well. Through working on delivery it teaches you step by step processes and how to keep organised. hardest part of the job is the early mornings. Most enjoyable is the workplace culture.
Pros
Cons
Early mornings
flexible and good work life balance
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  london13 December 2017
learnt end to end order fulfilment
learnt different payment gateway
good management
flexible work life
good staff relationship and fun
i enjoyed the fact that i work from home most of the time
I enjoyed my time here
Recruitment Manager - Retail (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 December 2017
I enjoyed working for River Island but it was more about working for a well known brand.

I worked really hard here and unfortunately there was little praise or appreciation of my efforts.
Pros
Staff Shop
Cons
Lack of appreciation
Lovely place to work
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  nireland9 December 2017
I enjoyed everyday in this job, everyday was different. What you put in you get back out. You get to know your customers enabling you to provide a more personal shopping experience. The team was fantastic! A very fun place to work.
Pros
Everyday was different
Cons
No space for development
It was a way to make ends meet but I enjoyed it.
Part Time Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth5 December 2017
I only worked a few hours early morning. I'm one of those strange people who like cleaning so enjoyed it really. I worked in the various local branches. The ladies in one branch were especially nice.
Pros
Early mornings. Lot's of work to keep me busy.
Cons
One branch the people were not so friendly
fun challenging
Sales and Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 December 2017
The company have come a long way since i joined, and it is only for the better. Its a challenging environment but in a way that will get you out of bed each day, not make you want to stay in it.
There is plenty of room for progression within the ranks of River Island.
Pros
staff incentives
Cons
can be long hours
Face paced, fun, hard work
Operations Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 December 2017
River Island was a generally good company to work for in the sense of how you can progress and develop where wanted to, you would just need to voice where you want to go and the management would help guide you to where you needed to be.

After learning everything necessary to the role they may increase your responsibilities and work load, this might be where they close their eyes to seeing how much you're working, maybe too much, in the sense of back breaking efforts not appreciated how they could be.

If I could say one thing, I'd be so grateful for the opportunity and fun I had there but also for the 6 pack of abs and arms of steel ha. However they could look after their employees, particularly management a little better. perhaps bring in more incentives and something to work for, maybe rewarded for such efforts, it takes a lot of manual labour to run a store. Draining and tiring, it was worth it for the progression opportunities, if you're ambitious enough.
Cons
Please read below
Very fast paced busy workplace but enjoyable.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 December 2017
Stock Replenishment was a must here as stock would just sell so fast, good communication with the store room team was a must as stock needed to be replenished alot. Till operation was fast paced as ques never seem to disappear especially near Christmas but fast pace and busy environments are my favorite as i don't like to be bored.
Shop floors and cash tills areas had to be kept spotless at all times and this was challenging but rewarding when we got mentions.
Pros
Never got bored
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 December 2017
Great vibe with colleagues and floor manager, love the free clothes every 2 months for uniform.
I’ve learnt a lot about customer service and styling mannequins
Pros
Stylish clothes
Cons
Poor management
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast28 November 2017
It was fun as I had a different range of tasks to complete throughout my shift and this was good as I was not bored all of the time- there was always something to do, and it was interesting doing things. However, when it was busy in the store it was quite stressful.
Pros
having your break the same time as someone else
Cons
breaks were very short
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool26 November 2017
early and late shifts, must be able to work on weekends, very sociable. lovely people, must have communication skills and a good work ethic hitting targets.
Good company processes I place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon tyne23 November 2017
I oversee the day to day running of the store across women's, men's, kids and the operations. I use relevant business and commercial information to support me making daily decisions. I stay focused on priorities and use my product knowledge to help me manage the visuals to maximise sales aswell as customer service. I always condsier customers when making decisions and regularly monitor customer service levels instore.
Pros
Good staff discount
Judgement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 November 2017
Unfortunately, i found it very judgemental working in the River Island store i was in. I felt i struggled to fit in to such a small community and didn't get a welcome i felt would have made me feel more comfortable. i feel i would help out extra in certain situations and feel i didn't get any appreciation back..
good for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex19 November 2017
working at river island is good if your a uni student or at college but if there as a full time career it is not the best as there is not a lot of progression and work is repetitive and boring.
Pros
staff
Cons
repetitive work, working with the public

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.