River Island Employee Reviews

Found 1,182 reviews matching the search See all 1,304 reviews
productive
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London7 December 2018
I learned a lot of essential skills during my time of work here, you have to be prepared to work a lot and be turned down shifts so a specific salary is not in place
silly small contracts
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 December 2018
management is ridiculously terrible and unnecessarily strict
working hours are too short 4 hours a day not suitable for fully flex people
discount is amazing though
free uniform
Pros
discount
Cons
short contracts
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire28 November 2018
All the management team and staff work hard to make sure that stealing is as limited as possible. All the managers treat everyone fairly within the business.
Pros
Loads of overtime
Cons
Some of the staff are rude and immature
Not too bad
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield26 November 2018
Wasn't bad but was only a seasonal job which meant no job security, but in the time I was there it was good although wasn't given much of a chance to work on the shop floor in the Mens department, despite me having a background of working in a Mens store. All in all, not a bad place to work if you don't mind doing repetitive tasks like with any retail job.
Pros
Free clothing allowance, flexible hours, always extra hours going.
Cons
Late shifts, cold store room
Operations - Oxford Circus 301
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London20 November 2018
I worked here quite recently.
I got told it would be a permenant position but it was actually only 2 MONTHS!
Only got told one week before my contract ended. So I didn’t even get time to find a new job basically unemployed now. I even kept asking for a transfer to a nearer River Island and the managers take so long to do a simple thing. I never got the transfer!
The staff make you feel so unwelcome when you first come. They only train you one day then you have to do everything else by yourself! Very strict company to work for and the managers are beyone rude and swear at you which is so unprofessional! No offensive. Lack of communication!
They don’t care much about their staff. They say the positions are permenant but really they mean they are temporary and they only renew it. If they want to keep you. If not they replace you with someone else right in front of your face and tell you they have 0 hours for you!
Wouldn’t recommend this company at all
Also a lot of your pay goes back to River Island as you have to wear their clothes. They only give you uniform every three months but it’s not much only a top and jeans only up to how many days you work and depending on how much you get paid!
What a joke
Pros
Staff discount. Getting paid
Cons
Horrible managers, bad overtime hours, very boring place to work, unwelcoming staff, terrible training, horrific communication via managers, temporary positions, very strict company
quick and easy environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh20 November 2018
was a a quick and easy day when working nothing difficult to do simple tasks but became very tedious very quickly but as a job couldn't complain because it was simpl.
Pros
easy
Cons
Boring
Average
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside19 November 2018
As i have also worked for Topshop/arcadia its easiest to compare the two. Whilst both very similar i felt River Island was a much less relaxed environment.
sociable
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 November 2018
Being a job mainly for students, at the time i was working here it was highly convenient, which made working it around my education easy. with constant social interaction with customers it can be draining however, it is also rewarding helping someone find something they need and your the cause for their happiness.
Pros
discount
Cons
N/a
Decent
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London10 November 2018
River island is also a job that tests your patience, it requires you to have to deal with frustratesd customers as well as frequently being asked the same questions, it can get very tiring and painful being on your feet for a long amount of hours. They pay isn’t that great, the hours are a set contract, which is a bit annoying but can be rewarding cause it helps you plan your week right.
Pros
60% discount & able to Take clothes which is your uniform
Cons
On your feet too long
New Experience
Sales Assistance (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2018
This was my first official paying job. I was given a taste of how intense retail can be. I was put in the deep end from day 1, as i was expected to manage kids area. This included attending to customers needs which required me to go stock room, putting new clothes out, returning clothes in their allocated places and doing tills.

The most difficult part of the job was doing it by myself and trying to figure out things on the job while it got very busy. This was not a one man job. I think having guidance and support was needed, but i did my best.

However, I enjoyed meeting the new people and helping customers, definitely the best part of the job. :)
Pros
New experience
Cons

Want to know more about River Island?

Ask a question
Wouldn't recommend it
Local Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire31 October 2018
When I first started here it was a great place to work, very friendly environment, very flexible, management see potential in people and work to your strengths. Since then there has been a big turnaround in staff, including nearly all support teams managers and has completely changed the atmosphere and focus on support.

The focus is entirely on stats now and implementing ITIL. Management are too busy to think and have become very irrational. They're too busy being busy rather than trying to fix problems.

Users have now become frustrated with the service they are receiving because everything is changing in ways that aren't user friendly and they aren't given enough information to understand.

There is a very big 'them and us' divide between teams, so it's very hard to work together. People always keep details in secret to try to remain superior

There is no real progression anymore because a lot of roles have been combined into one job to make some people overworked.

People who worked for the company in IT for several years have been leaving over the last 4 years and being replaced with people the new management worked with in previous companies, with their practices being implemented with them.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management
Productive Company
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent28 October 2018
River Island is a productive company to work for. No matter if you're in at peak hours or not there is always something for you to do and typical day for me is on the cash desk as that is what I am contracted too. However I also spend a lot of time in the stockroom sorting out all the clothes, doing delivery and stock replenishment. At River Island I have learnt skills such as how to work the tills and also it has made me more confident talking to strangers and helping them with their shopping and be able to have a conversation with them. The management at River Island can be a little bias. I sometimes feel as if I am pushed to the side whilst the managers form better friendships with other members of staff and pay for attention to their favorites in the work place (these would often be full time staff.) The workplace culture at River Island includes members of staff being very enthusiastic about their jobs and are sometimes excited for their shift. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is meeting numerous new people everyday and being able to help them leaves a huge smile on my face. The hardest part of the job however is definitely having to deal with difficult customers however I always approach the situation very professionally and never lose my temper. If things start to get out of control I will call a manager over to help.
Cons
Not enough hours and not high enough pay
It was a bubbly and hardworking, caring environment.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull26 October 2018
I loved working at River Island the manger was very fair always treat the employees equally. My opinions we’re listened too. I always got paid on time and it was definitely worth the 9 to5.
Pros
Meet new people, learn new things.
Learning
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes24 October 2018
Working at River Island was a great experience for me as I got the opportunity to learn new things starting from inbound, inventory, outbound, invoices, scan gun, etc.
Dreadful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea23 October 2018
If I could put 0 stars I would! Bitchiest place I’ve worked. Made new staff feel uncomfortable and couldn’t wait to finish there! Awful, recommend you do not work here.
Pros
Discount
Cons
The horrible rude staff and management
Great fashion and Good hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hereford23 October 2018
I enjoyed working at River Island as a temp as i love the brand, the hours and pay were good, the hardest part of the job is the repetitiveness however the most enjoyable part is working with all cultures and fashion's and experiencing them first hand.
River Island Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth17 October 2018
Seasonal work fast high pressured environment.well run business. I worked helping with deliveries on the shop floor dealing with customers and taking payments etc.
Enjoyable
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London SE1616 October 2018
I have learned some experience at this job in this country
management was nice all staff were understanding level of good communication.
all over i was happy working with them.
Pros
short houres
Cons
not enough communication.
fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hull City Centre, East Riding of Yorkshire16 October 2018
Working at River Island was a very enjoyable and fun environment to work in, with good management and good staff to work alongside. My hours were very flexible for me and they are a very understanding place to work.
Pros
discount, new friends
amazing enviroment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire16 October 2018
Learn lots about fashion industry a good environment.
learn about customer service as the company pride themselves on good customer service
an overall enjoyable place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.