River Island Pay & Benefits reviews

Busy environment but enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland7 April 2018
Great place to work. Great benefits and you're always learning and doing things every shift. Get to pick your uniform and keep the clothes as well. Great environment.
fun
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  peterborough22 March 2018
everyone is so lovely and easy to get on with. there are many jobs to do throughout the shift which keep you going. the benifits of being a staff member are exeptional
poor management
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe18 March 2018
River island was a good place to work apart from the staff in thr high Wycombe store and management. The job is not hard but also the pay isn't great.
The worse place to work
Van driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 March 2018
If you can avoid working for river island please do so that's all I can advise you . Manager treats everyone like a animal and pay them low with long hours .
Lovely place for a student to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire14 March 2018
Absolutely loved my time at River Island, was a sales assistant over Christmas, which I recommend for anyone who wants to get experience in retail and loves fashion! I got a 40% discount and a £32 uniform allowance (you get more for the more hours you are contracted). Everyone was lovely and shifts went quickly because there was always something to do.
Pros
Good wage, lovely colleagues and management
Cons
Too many xmas temps hired so not enough hours given
Fun to work!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands14 March 2018
Fun to work. Good discount and allowances. Sick pay is poor. Good music I’m the background. Pay is good for a first or second time job. Not a career. You’ll have a good time working there if you like fashion.
Pros
The discount.
Cons
Lunch breaks
Great beginner experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
It was fun working there as my first job but it is very easy to get exploited for labour. The pay is ridiculously low compared to local stores and management was unorganised and rude.
Pros
Discount has risen
Cons
Management, Low Pay
horrible managment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Fosse Park25 February 2018
The staff were bullies making me work overtime that I couldnt do because of other things i had but threatening to take away my double pay if I didn't do it! I wouldn't work there again!
Pros
Discount and free clothes
Cons
Forced Overtime and Bullying
Fun
Retail assiant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire12 February 2018
Great company , members of staff were friendly , always pushing you to do your best , excellent benefits for working with the company. All round a great job
Productive and tiring place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire12 February 2018
Working at warehouse isn't the best, but I decided to go and work there to get some experience and get some money aswell. I think is not be right job for me so personally I would prefer working at a shop.
Pros
Break time
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 February 2018
Fairly similar regarding tasks. big disconnect between management and staff. Huge expectation on extra hours for little pay. It was a good introduction to working life.
It was a good place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire2 February 2018
Good place to work and friendly nice people to work with. Flexible times for work and low amount of staff which was not reliable for suitable or contracted times.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Low money
good place to work
Mobile Manager (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 January 2018
enjoyed it, just looking for a change. very unsociable hours, don't always feel job satisfaction because your always being pulled to help elsewhere. learnt useful skills
Pros
50% discount
Cons
unsocialable hours
Amazing place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2018
Amazing place to work depending on which store you work at.
Good place to work if you get enough hours or days so part time or full time contract . Otherwise afew hours a day twice a week isn’t enough work wise, if your wanting a good pay end of month or if you want a more full time position unless you pick up hours at anouther store.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours, not enough days of work
Fun workplace - depending on the store
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 January 2018
Worked at a River Island close to where I used to live and LOVED the staff and management there. Went to another and hated it. With RI it all depends.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Sometimes iffy management
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester16 December 2017
overall a friendly and genuine workplace, a lot of part time students and not many staff over the age of 20 but I had fond memories at my short time working here. very easy work and the managers are very professional. would love to go back.
Pros
discount and uniform bonus
Cons
9 hour contracts :(
it was okay
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex14 December 2017
the staffs at river island were not so friendly to me which made me not want to work there anymore, even though it was only a christmas period.i learned a lot of reasonable skills but always felt under pressure which i did not like
I enjoyed my time here
Recruitment Manager - Retail (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 December 2017
I enjoyed working for River Island but it was more about working for a well known brand.

I worked really hard here and unfortunately there was little praise or appreciation of my efforts.
Pros
Staff Shop
Cons
Lack of appreciation
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast28 November 2017
It was fun as I had a different range of tasks to complete throughout my shift and this was good as I was not bored all of the time- there was always something to do, and it was interesting doing things. However, when it was busy in the store it was quite stressful.
Pros
having your break the same time as someone else
Cons
breaks were very short
good for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex19 November 2017
working at river island is good if your a uni student or at college but if there as a full time career it is not the best as there is not a lot of progression and work is repetitive and boring.
Pros
staff
Cons
repetitive work, working with the public

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.