River Island Pay & Benefits reviews

Good Company
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire9 July 2018
Good company to work for, great benefits and lovely team which help you as much as they can. I have learned many new skills during my time with the company.
It was ok
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London23 June 2018
Discount nice people like the customers busy was fun got to meet new people who I work with. They were all nice .just need better hours and need something new
Pros
Discount
Cons
Non really long hours
Poor
Sales Assistant (XMAS TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Biggleswade18 June 2018
Would never work there again, horrible managers and no understanding at all.Bad management and team work, bad salary and no benefits apart from a small amount to use on clothes
Fun to work in
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne7 June 2018
This was a temp job as i was studying at college at the time so i was only a weekend worker.
Great place to work and a good staff moral.
Gained alot of experience from here.
Hard Work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire6 June 2018
A typical day at work would be working hard and long hours and getting stupid orders from inexperienced managers. The wage did not sometimes reflect the work, especially if your job was to work on delivery for six hours in the middle of summer with no fan to stay cool.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Low limit on the discount
good if you don't really care
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge4 June 2018
not an awful place too work but very shallow environment. would suit someone more into fashion that I am. fairly decent hours for retail. fun in the stockroom
Pros
generous discount and uniform scheme
Cons
very low pay
The Workplace feels like a family
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset22 May 2018
All employees have a close bond and it is a lovely family to be a part of. Everyone treats each other with respect, which is very nice in the work place. There are times when it can be hard to get along with everyone but this is rare in River Island. Salary is average and decent, however i feel there is not a large amount of room to advance in personal improvement within retail.
Pros
Family-like employees
Cons
Retail can be boring
good place to work
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Bath22 May 2018
good benefits and really good pay for retail, just get boring as it's the same thing everyday. Christmas time is crazy busy and they aren't very good with allowing holiday at certain periods of time.
Pros
good discount and pay
Cons
long hours, boring, holiday is rubbish
Love love love
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire20 May 2018
I worked at river island for a month or 2 but i guess it has its benefits. I mean free uniform after 2 consecutive shift? YEAAHHH!!! Uniform=amazing clothing from the store and its your choice. I loved working here. Safe to say its the best store ive worked for. Amazing team and amazing benefits.
Pros
Amazing Team, Benefits
Cons
Everyone is so nice and welcoming and the management is amazing
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London9 May 2018
I was only a Christmas temp while working there and I wish I was still there it was one of the best jobs I’ve ever had and loved any minute, the salary was good and the people you are working with is amazing!
Pros
Amazing staff, good discount off clothes, customers are usually nice
Cons
Depends what job role you have
Sales and Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear21 April 2018
I currently work in a sales and service role and its pointless. Staff are rude, especially if you're new as they're unwilling to help you. Management are unreliable especially with the rota it's always put up at the last minute. The shift hours are short but are weird times and hours aren't changed very often which is unfair if you have to work the late shifts every week. In terms of work life balance its hard to make plans especially when the rota isn't put up with enough time to make plans. Also they're very stingy with holidays, you can request it off but they always reject them which is unfair as sometimes I have had to cancel plans and lost money because of it, they're very unfair with students around exam time also as they don't allow holidays in May/ June. Pay is a positive however as it's above minimum wage and also discount is great but it is capped. Uniform allowance is strict as you have to buy clothes that are cheap enough to come under the allowance. Overall the role is boring but it totally depends on the job role, who's working and whether it's busy or not. The hardest part of the job is the pressure management put you under to meet sales targets, the easiest is how it requires basic skill.
Pros
Good discount, good wage
Cons
bad management, poor work- life balnce, late shifts
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire10 April 2018
good place to start off, maybe part time or during education.i enjoyed it for the most part, hourly rate isnt the best, but people there are nice and amanagers are helpful.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
hard work
Busy environment but enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland7 April 2018
Great place to work. Great benefits and you're always learning and doing things every shift. Get to pick your uniform and keep the clothes as well. Great environment.
fun
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  peterborough22 March 2018
everyone is so lovely and easy to get on with. there are many jobs to do throughout the shift which keep you going. the benifits of being a staff member are exeptional
poor management
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe18 March 2018
River island was a good place to work apart from the staff in thr high Wycombe store and management. The job is not hard but also the pay isn't great.
The worse place to work
Van driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 March 2018
If you can avoid working for river island please do so that's all I can advise you . Manager treats everyone like a animal and pay them low with long hours .
Lovely place for a student to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire14 March 2018
Absolutely loved my time at River Island, was a sales assistant over Christmas, which I recommend for anyone who wants to get experience in retail and loves fashion! I got a 40% discount and a £32 uniform allowance (you get more for the more hours you are contracted). Everyone was lovely and shifts went quickly because there was always something to do.
Pros
Good wage, lovely colleagues and management
Cons
Too many xmas temps hired so not enough hours given
Fun to work!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands14 March 2018
Fun to work. Good discount and allowances. Sick pay is poor. Good music I’m the background. Pay is good for a first or second time job. Not a career. You’ll have a good time working there if you like fashion.
Pros
The discount.
Cons
Lunch breaks
Great beginner experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
It was fun working there as my first job but it is very easy to get exploited for labour. The pay is ridiculously low compared to local stores and management was unorganised and rude.
Pros
Discount has risen
Cons
Management, Low Pay
i work for PMP recruitment
packing (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 February 2018
the last months work is very low 2 days a week so I look a foul time job to work 5 - 6 days a week I am very hard worker and very
responsible I can work day ore night

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.