River Island Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 219 reviews matching the search See all 1,299 reviews
Great benefits and salary
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough7 January 2019
I loved working at River island, the work benefits were amazing, and not only that, the job wasn't too difficult - the tasks became easier with time and became second nature.
Pros
40 percent off
Busy high street retail
Gateshead- Part-Time Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gateshead5 January 2019
River Island was a great company to work for aas my first job in the retail industry, the hours were flexible, working around me as i was a full time student.
productive
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London7 December 2018
I learned a lot of essential skills during my time of work here, you have to be prepared to work a lot and be turned down shifts so a specific salary is not in place
silly small contracts
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 December 2018
management is ridiculously terrible and unnecessarily strict
working hours are too short 4 hours a day not suitable for fully flex people
discount is amazing though
free uniform
Pros
discount
Cons
short contracts
Not too bad
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield26 November 2018
Wasn't bad but was only a seasonal job which meant no job security, but in the time I was there it was good although wasn't given much of a chance to work on the shop floor in the Mens department, despite me having a background of working in a Mens store. All in all, not a bad place to work if you don't mind doing repetitive tasks like with any retail job.
Pros
Free clothing allowance, flexible hours, always extra hours going.
Cons
Late shifts, cold store room
Decent
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London10 November 2018
River island is also a job that tests your patience, it requires you to have to deal with frustratesd customers as well as frequently being asked the same questions, it can get very tiring and painful being on your feet for a long amount of hours. They pay isn’t that great, the hours are a set contract, which is a bit annoying but can be rewarding cause it helps you plan your week right.
Pros
60% discount & able to Take clothes which is your uniform
Cons
On your feet too long
Enjoyable
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London SE1616 October 2018
I have learned some experience at this job in this country
management was nice all staff were understanding level of good communication.
all over i was happy working with them.
Pros
short houres
Cons
not enough communication.
fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hull City Centre, East Riding of Yorkshire16 October 2018
Working at River Island was a very enjoyable and fun environment to work in, with good management and good staff to work alongside. My hours were very flexible for me and they are a very understanding place to work.
Pros
discount, new friends
good place to work
shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 October 2018
loved working here when I was younger but it didn't suit my family life. I needed flexible hours which they couldn't provide. work was very repetitive also
Pros
staff discount!
Cons
Good job depending on the management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
As a company, River island provides good contracted hours, a stress free environment and a fair pay. However, if you need time off its next to impossible unless you have booked it nearly a year in advance. Most mangers I have worked with have been miserable and created a negative environment.
productive
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London30 September 2018
I was a Christmas temp so I was only there for a short period of time. I cant describe it that much but overall I will say it was a very nice place to work in.
Amazing discount
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2018
Amazing discount and benefits, work life balance perfect. 39 hours per week after breaks and lunch therefore works out to be 45 hours. progression not so good.
Fun and productive workplace
Part-time Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen City24 September 2018
It's a good place to work at. There is always something to do on most days and I manage to get along with everyone. Another amazing thing is the free uniform and the staff discount.
Pros
Free uniform and staff discount
Cons
not a lot of extra hours
Lack of progression
Sales Assistant (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London12 September 2018
Not many opportunities to take up in that particular branch. Christmas hours were awful and unfair. Pay average. Not much flexibility offered. Good uniform allowance.
Pros
Uniform allowance.
Good
Stock Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool22 August 2018
The pay was good and the staff very friendly and helpful, always gave me plentiful hours and helped me whenever I needed it. Easily accessible by bus, train, or car.
Great job whilst in education
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wigan20 August 2018
Great job over the years for people in education. During my time there the pay always promises to be more than the minimum and you get great discount. The team are great to work for, depending on your attitude to work this is a great place and family to be a part of.
Pros
discount, team work
Nice place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear16 August 2018
Worked here 3 years and enjoyed it immensely. Made a lot of new friends and the managers were relaxed and laid back. Was able to get extra hours if needed.
Pros
40% discount and free clothes every 3 month
Boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London9 August 2018
Managers are unpleasant and mean, pay is embarrassing minimum wage has gone up and they pay under 18s £4 something and 18 and over £6.50. A typical day in river island is boring you do replenishment, stand around keep a look out in the fitting rooms and if you're needed on tills then you go on tills but it's a slow working environment.
Pros
Uniform allowence of £60
Nice, friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire23 July 2018
River Island is a great place to work with many benefits, it has nice, friendly staff/management who take care of you very well. The work hours are good as its a contracted set days/hours job.
not great
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford16 July 2018
not a great environment to work with.

staff disocunt is 40% but it is limited. So the discount can be used up very quickly. Managers have to authorise discount so this can be complicated if you just want to buy something you like and go.

Poorly paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.