River Island Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

good company
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham15 October 2018
worked years ago. review irrelevant
no need to answer
stop asking for answers. it was almost 10 years ago and companies change over the years. very silly
Good job depending on the management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
As a company, River island provides good contracted hours, a stress free environment and a fair pay. However, if you need time off its next to impossible unless you have booked it nearly a year in advance. Most mangers I have worked with have been miserable and created a negative environment.
productive
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London30 September 2018
I was a Christmas temp so I was only there for a short period of time. I cant describe it that much but overall I will say it was a very nice place to work in.
Its a very good job as I have to meet deadlines so i push myself
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2018
A typical day at work will be 4 hour shifts with no breaks but it is me just pushing myself to helping every customer,maintaining the shop floor and serving. I have learned how to use a till correctly,approach customers,maintain the floor efficiently,how to locate items in the stockroom,address male and female customers and several more things. Management in the store is very good as they build a relationship with you opposed to just telling you to do things.The culture of the workplace is very family like even though is people from different backgrounds. Its very paternalistic.The hardest part of the job is maintaining the floor as customers are very reckless in most areas of the floor. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that i get to socialise with many people.
Pros
There is a discount and i have people my age.
Cons
At times it can get boring
Fun engaging
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire26 September 2018
An average day at work consists of putting customers first and always engaging with the customers and your peers. Alongside helping customers, we also have to work together as a team to help each other
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours for students
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 September 2018
I enjoyed working for river island. All my needs were met and any issue were dealt with accordingly. All the staff were really nice and the ma segment team were fantastic as well.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Holidays weren’t always fair
Lack of progression
Sales Assistant (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London12 September 2018
Not many opportunities to take up in that particular branch. Christmas hours were awful and unfair. Pay average. Not much flexibility offered. Good uniform allowance.
Pros
Uniform allowance.
Enriching and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton City Centre, East Sussex10 September 2018
Friendly colleagues, enriching experience, taught me both how to work effectively in a team and independently. Also taught me high levels of responsibility, punctuality and communication.
fun experience.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
Meeting the customers who walk through the door and helping them in every way we can is of course our first priority. This means finding the perfect outfit for them, or even custom ordering whatever meets their needs. Also keeping track of stock, ordering new stock, accounting, setting up a marketing campaign for our regular promotions or special deals, … is part of our daily work day.
productive day
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol28 August 2018
I enjoy meeting new people ,helping out with the customers what they may need help with. also cashing up at the end of the day. Helping out other members of the team , making sure stock is out on shop floor to a high standard.
Not too bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran16 August 2018
It was a long time ago but it was OK. Only a temp job and plenty of hours then. Didn't get kept on but it was no big deal. Managed fairly well but they could have been nicer.
productive
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 August 2018
I really enjoyed working here it was fun and everyday I had a challenge that helped me improve. The staffs and management are really nice and if I could I would go back and work there again.
Part-Time Job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North East4 August 2018
I have worked at River Island, part-time for almost 4 years whilst completing my A-levels and degree at university. It's a great job to have as I am only contracted 8 hours per week which was fine when I had a lot of studying/exams to do but can also request extra shifts when I was not as busy (in the holidays).
Brilliant place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire31 July 2018
A welcoming environment and a great place to work. Great training is given and a variety of future opportunities offered. I learnt a lot at River Island due to the patience of the management team. Really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Welcoming management team
Cons
n/a
ok job.
River Island Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands30 July 2018
Ok job, management can be temperamental and often can be spoken down to. workplace culture was very friendly and all staff were nice to work with. overall ok
Fun Workplace
Sales Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Grimsby25 July 2018
On a typical day at work (i.e a Saturday) I will have a team briefing with one of the managers giving us our targets to meet for that day. I will then be told where in the shop I will be working on today, for example, the cash desk or on the fitting rooms. We, as a team always keep in mind the customer experience from the moment they enter the shop to the moment they leave and this is plays an important part to gaining customer loyalty.
The management are great, they are open to help you with any queries or concerns you may have.
Pros
Discount on shop items.
Nice, friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire23 July 2018
River Island is a great place to work with many benefits, it has nice, friendly staff/management who take care of you very well. The work hours are good as its a contracted set days/hours job.
not great
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford16 July 2018
not a great environment to work with.

staff disocunt is 40% but it is limited. So the discount can be used up very quickly. Managers have to authorise discount so this can be complicated if you just want to buy something you like and go.

Poorly paid
Average Company to Work For
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire12 July 2018
A typical day at work is mainly keeping clothing standards high as well as prioritising customer service. The job can become tedious at times and frustrating as there's hardly any opportunity to progress further in the business.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Short Hours
Good Company
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire9 July 2018
Good company to work for, great benefits and lovely team which help you as much as they can. I have learned many new skills during my time with the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

River Island Reviews by Location