River Island Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Bad place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol17 April 2018
Bad place to work. I worked in Cabot circus one and it was okay. Got you to do everything in sight when they didn’t do anything. Security is so bad as I had my birthday money nicked out my purse which the manager then told me it was my fault.
Pros
New people
Cons
No security
Fast paced
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 April 2018
Here I mainly worked in the fitting rooms so it was a lot of customer communication. I learned how to approach customers and how to clean the rejects. The management was not the best and the working rota was always out very last minute leaving it hard to build a social life around it. As well as this they were not very lenient when it came to holidays. It did become a difficult job when the store was busy and you may be alone but other than that it wasn't too bad.
Pros
discount
Good environment to work in!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire10 April 2018
I loved working in this store. I was only 16 when i worked here and this was my first job. everyone was so welcoming and hard working and i learnt a lot of skills working here. the training was good and i was trained on all departments of this store. highly recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
good atmosphere, good training, friendly staff members
Cons
low pay as its retail
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire10 April 2018
good place to start off, maybe part time or during education.i enjoyed it for the most part, hourly rate isnt the best, but people there are nice and amanagers are helpful.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
hard work
Busy environment but enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland7 April 2018
Great place to work. Great benefits and you're always learning and doing things every shift. Get to pick your uniform and keep the clothes as well. Great environment.
Horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport3 April 2018
Management awful, cliche pay always messed up all the time! Annual leave never correct
Management don’t back you up
Phones never answered
Poor training
No progression
Stay clear
Your just a body to use and abuse
Pros
Uniform
Cons
They tax you on it
River Island
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London31 March 2018
The hours I worked in river island, were very long and tiring. But I did learn a lot from the month I was working there for. I learned communication skills and teamwork skills. I didn't really speak to the management team much but they were nice to me. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the mess customers would make and dealing with the disrespectful ones. But the most enjoyable part of the job was definitely making some of the friends I had on the team, everyone was so nice to talk to. I felt as if it was like one big family.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lovely place for a student to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire14 March 2018
Absolutely loved my time at River Island, was a sales assistant over Christmas, which I recommend for anyone who wants to get experience in retail and loves fashion! I got a 40% discount and a £32 uniform allowance (you get more for the more hours you are contracted). Everyone was lovely and shifts went quickly because there was always something to do.
Pros
Good wage, lovely colleagues and management
Cons
Too many xmas temps hired so not enough hours given
Fun to work!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands14 March 2018
Fun to work. Good discount and allowances. Sick pay is poor. Good music I’m the background. Pay is good for a first or second time job. Not a career. You’ll have a good time working there if you like fashion.
Pros
The discount.
Cons
Lunch breaks
Fun Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London14 March 2018
It is high street fashion store where you get involved with great fashion and people.The other best part it was in one of the biggest mall of London so the customers were varied.
fast paced work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london12 March 2018
monotonous day, always in charge of changing rooms

displays and shop floor organisations changed every day

management was strict and not as easily approachable
Great Place To Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast9 March 2018
The River Island shops sell a diverse range of clothing and accessories for both men and women. The main emphasis is on casual clothing, however they do stock smarter garments for both sexes.
Great beginner experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
It was fun working there as my first job but it is very easy to get exploited for labour. The pay is ridiculously low compared to local stores and management was unorganised and rude.
Pros
Discount has risen
Cons
Management, Low Pay
great place to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester2 March 2018
When i was working there the management was fun and the work colleagues were always helpful and kind. The pay was different to what we were told but it didn't matter because of all the overtime we were asked to do.
Pros
great pay
Cons
constant overtime
Toxic
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield27 February 2018
Was my first job but easily one of my worse. The managers were horrible and just gave out instructions even if there were inconvenient to the workers. I would never want to work there again.
horrible managment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Fosse Park25 February 2018
The staff were bullies making me work overtime that I couldnt do because of other things i had but threatening to take away my double pay if I didn't do it! I wouldn't work there again!
Pros
Discount and free clothes
Cons
Forced Overtime and Bullying
Exceptionally creative and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 February 2018
Whilst working at river island I was able to encounter and interact with a wide range individuals, this was a beneficial experience for me as I was able to further develop my communication and interactive skills. I enjoyed being part of the team within river island as they were very and welcoming, I was able to get along with all the staff and managers and walk away with an overall positive expirence
its ok as a first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London24 February 2018
Decent first job for people in school or college. You learn basic customer service but will need a more serious job to develop your skills in this area as the job is repetitave and does not require much
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 February 2018
Fairly similar regarding tasks. big disconnect between management and staff. Huge expectation on extra hours for little pay. It was a good introduction to working life.
Former employee
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford10 February 2018
Worked as retail advisor in the Bedford branch back in 2003 when min was £3.60ph for under 21's, I have never had a job that was as encouraging as River Island was.
If I could go back I would in a heartbeat, if they see potential in you they helped you to shine.
I absolutely loved all the running around!
Pros
Great career progression
Cons
Not enough working hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

River Island Reviews by Location