River Island Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Decent job with minimal progression available.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh19 January 2018
Good part time job however they are not very career orientated and are more focused on the day to day running of the shops. Good staff hours are not bad
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chafford Hundred, Essex10 January 2018
I am very interested in this position as it relates strongly to my vast experience in CCTV Enforcement and also my general knowledge of the Parking industry.
For the past 3 years I have been working as a cctv enforcement officer for my Ealing council authority. During my employment I have learnt how to handle various parking and operational situations professionally and efficiently using my own knowledge and any available resources.
As can be seen from my CV, I possess all the necessary industry related certification, am CRB cleared and hold numerous relevant academic qualifications. I also possess a helpful attitude, good team working skills and am prepared to put in that extra effort which makes all of the difference.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
no long hours
Fun but difficult at times
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire9 January 2018
Very fun at times, very fast paced and quite a nice environment to work in. However, it can get very difficult and demanding. Lovely people in the store to work with and learn skills with.
Pros
Amazing staff discount and uniform allowance
Cons
Awkward hours
depressing and degrading
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes1 January 2018
would not recommend anyone to work there. you are simply treated as a slave, you don't get recognized for any of the things you do, but to just get dissed and told of in front of your co workers, you get threatened that you will lose your job.
Pros
Cons
mangers are rude, you get paid so little for how much work you have to do, which is a LOT, mangers talk about each other and their staff in a bad light, freedom is extremely limited, lack of respect to the temps (they get treated like they are irrelevant!
Fun but busy work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire29 December 2017
I liked the job but I was only a Christmas temp, the job could of given more training as I was till trained correctly but then was moved onto stock without any training atall so found it difficult especially around a busy period like Christmas
Pros
Discount on clothing
Cons
Not enough training
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 December 2017
typical day involves delivery process. Good team culture and relationships. Get along with management well. Through working on delivery it teaches you step by step processes and how to keep organised. hardest part of the job is the early mornings. Most enjoyable is the workplace culture.
Pros
Cons
Early mornings
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 December 2017
Great vibe with colleagues and floor manager, love the free clothes every 2 months for uniform.
I’ve learnt a lot about customer service and styling mannequins
Pros
Stylish clothes
Cons
Poor management
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast28 November 2017
It was fun as I had a different range of tasks to complete throughout my shift and this was good as I was not bored all of the time- there was always something to do, and it was interesting doing things. However, when it was busy in the store it was quite stressful.
Pros
having your break the same time as someone else
Cons
breaks were very short
Judgement
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 November 2017
Unfortunately, i found it very judgemental working in the River Island store i was in. I felt i struggled to fit in to such a small community and didn't get a welcome i felt would have made me feel more comfortable. i feel i would help out extra in certain situations and feel i didn't get any appreciation back..
good for students
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex19 November 2017
working at river island is good if your a uni student or at college but if there as a full time career it is not the best as there is not a lot of progression and work is repetitive and boring.
Pros
staff
Cons
repetitive work, working with the public
busy and fun environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross, London12 November 2017
shop is always busy with different types of customers coming in and out everyday. you never stop, so you're always running around the store because there is always a customer asking for something from the back or your team member needs to be covered on the shop floor. staff are friendly and approachable. good place to work is you like to be busy and talk to alot of people,you have to be confident and know what you are talking about. if you're not then retail isn't for you.
Not enjoyable but good pay for teenagers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire11 November 2017
As a person that likes to be kept on their feet I found it extremely difficult to simply stand there and do nothing but re-hang clothes for 5 hours. The people there were not welcoming especially the managers but when you do talk to other workers you are told off making it quite lonely.
However the pay is really good and the 45% discount did come in handy and if you prefer an effortless job, this is great.
River island
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside7 November 2017
It's was 9 to 6 job ,7 days a week.I did my a one day releases at college and I learned how to us a till ,stock controller,banking and all the different materials how the garments,the manager was good and they know how to treat the staff.
Pros
Discount was good.
Cons
Sometimes they were long days.
overal workeperience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool5 November 2017
Overall, I very much enjoyed my time as a sales assistant at river island. the skills and knowledge I gained working for such a well established a popular company are extremely valuable to me that I can transfer to over job roles during my future working life. along with that I gained friends (staff and management alike ) that I will keep for a lifetime and it also heightened my love for fashioned and I have nothing but love for the company.
Always fun to work there
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford31 October 2017
It can be tiring sometimes and stressful and even challenging but i have i liked the experience and it has giving me more experience so i can handle pressure and still meet target even when under pressure
Fairly Repetitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking18 October 2017
The certain branch that I worked at did not have many employees which made it a very repetitive working environment. A typical shift would only entail a hand full of employees including myself. However the management can not be faulted and the existing employees are very welcoming.
Not very friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Silver link Retail Park16 October 2017
Worked as a christmas temp and the permanent staff were very rude and not nice to work with and also the pay was not very good compared to other retail businesses.
Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2017
Worked at River Island for a few years, great first proper job. Hardest part of the job is it very repetitive and the customers can be very difficult with little help from managers.
Not the best plave to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex14 October 2017
The management in river island was not good at all, the managers had different rules for different people depending on how they felt about them. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and working with other colleagues that were on the same level as me. A typical day at work for me would be putting out rejects and recovering the floor, you were not allowed to talk to other members of staff. Also the pay at river island was not good, I was paid £5.60 per hour.
Pros
Uniform allowance
Cons
Pay, management
Poor Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire11 October 2017
Rude managers that believe it's one rule for them and another for everyone else. They stand around chatting whilst the lowest paid employees slave away to keep the store running. No recognition for excellent customer service.
Unable to swap shifts with other employees for any reason.
Made to come in when ill.
Pros
Free clothes
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

River Island Reviews by Location