River Island Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 450 reviews matching the search See all 1,301 reviews
productive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London11 January 2019
was lovely working with river island worked here for just under a year staff was nice always a good vibe working with colleagues and helping customers.
Pros
staff discount 40%
Cons
no cons
Productive and fun workplace
River Island Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds6 January 2019
River island is a fun and exiting place to work , with brilliant staff discount and lovely team members. However the job is very hands on and tiring and you are on your feet through your most of the day.
Boring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire5 January 2019
Okay place to work often moved from one department to another. Alot to take in and cut my hours down from 20 to 8 which became a struggle so had to leave.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Hours
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees2 January 2019
Was a great place to work over the Christmas period, they all work so well as a team it was lovely. Was always diffeeent challenges every day which I enjoyed.
Not too bad
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield26 November 2018
Wasn't bad but was only a seasonal job which meant no job security, but in the time I was there it was good although wasn't given much of a chance to work on the shop floor in the Mens department, despite me having a background of working in a Mens store. All in all, not a bad place to work if you don't mind doing repetitive tasks like with any retail job.
Pros
Free clothing allowance, flexible hours, always extra hours going.
Cons
Late shifts, cold store room
quick and easy environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh20 November 2018
was a a quick and easy day when working nothing difficult to do simple tasks but became very tedious very quickly but as a job couldn't complain because it was simpl.
Pros
easy
Cons
Boring
New Experience
Sales Assistance (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2018
This was my first official paying job. I was given a taste of how intense retail can be. I was put in the deep end from day 1, as i was expected to manage kids area. This included attending to customers needs which required me to go stock room, putting new clothes out, returning clothes in their allocated places and doing tills.

The most difficult part of the job was doing it by myself and trying to figure out things on the job while it got very busy. This was not a one man job. I think having guidance and support was needed, but i did my best.

However, I enjoyed meeting the new people and helping customers, definitely the best part of the job. :)
Pros
New experience
Productive Company
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent28 October 2018
River Island is a productive company to work for. No matter if you're in at peak hours or not there is always something for you to do and typical day for me is on the cash desk as that is what I am contracted too. However I also spend a lot of time in the stockroom sorting out all the clothes, doing delivery and stock replenishment. At River Island I have learnt skills such as how to work the tills and also it has made me more confident talking to strangers and helping them with their shopping and be able to have a conversation with them. The management at River Island can be a little bias. I sometimes feel as if I am pushed to the side whilst the managers form better friendships with other members of staff and pay for attention to their favorites in the work place (these would often be full time staff.) The workplace culture at River Island includes members of staff being very enthusiastic about their jobs and are sometimes excited for their shift. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is meeting numerous new people everyday and being able to help them leaves a huge smile on my face. The hardest part of the job however is definitely having to deal with difficult customers however I always approach the situation very professionally and never lose my temper. If things start to get out of control I will call a manager over to help.
Cons
Not enough hours and not high enough pay
Dreadful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea23 October 2018
If I could put 0 stars I would! Bitchiest place I’ve worked. Made new staff feel uncomfortable and couldn’t wait to finish there! Awful, recommend you do not work here.
Pros
Discount
Cons
The horrible rude staff and management
Great fashion and Good hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hereford23 October 2018
I enjoyed working at River Island as a temp as i love the brand, the hours and pay were good, the hardest part of the job is the repetitiveness however the most enjoyable part is working with all cultures and fashion's and experiencing them first hand.
River Island Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth17 October 2018
Seasonal work fast high pressured environment.well run business. I worked helping with deliveries on the shop floor dealing with customers and taking payments etc.
good company
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham15 October 2018
worked years ago. review irrelevant
no need to answer
stop asking for answers. it was almost 10 years ago and companies change over the years. very silly
Shame it ended to be honest...
Sales Assistant (Temp contract) (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire14 October 2018
My time working for river island was very enjoyable. I didn't spend a minute feeling unwelcome and it felt like a giant family a lot of the time. The management team do not get enough credit, as they are some of the friendliest and most welcoming people I have met. This place taught me a lot of personal skills and how to handle certain situations in retail. Its just a shame my contract was only temporary and they ended it to hire new staff...
Good job depending on the management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
As a company, River island provides good contracted hours, a stress free environment and a fair pay. However, if you need time off its next to impossible unless you have booked it nearly a year in advance. Most mangers I have worked with have been miserable and created a negative environment.
productive
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London30 September 2018
I was a Christmas temp so I was only there for a short period of time. I cant describe it that much but overall I will say it was a very nice place to work in.
Its a very good job as I have to meet deadlines so i push myself
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2018
A typical day at work will be 4 hour shifts with no breaks but it is me just pushing myself to helping every customer,maintaining the shop floor and serving. I have learned how to use a till correctly,approach customers,maintain the floor efficiently,how to locate items in the stockroom,address male and female customers and several more things. Management in the store is very good as they build a relationship with you opposed to just telling you to do things.The culture of the workplace is very family like even though is people from different backgrounds. Its very paternalistic.The hardest part of the job is maintaining the floor as customers are very reckless in most areas of the floor. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that i get to socialise with many people.
Pros
There is a discount and i have people my age.
Cons
At times it can get boring
Fun engaging
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire26 September 2018
An average day at work consists of putting customers first and always engaging with the customers and your peers. Alongside helping customers, we also have to work together as a team to help each other
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours for students
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 September 2018
I enjoyed working for river island. All my needs were met and any issue were dealt with accordingly. All the staff were really nice and the ma segment team were fantastic as well.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Holidays weren’t always fair
Lack of progression
Sales Assistant (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London12 September 2018
Not many opportunities to take up in that particular branch. Christmas hours were awful and unfair. Pay average. Not much flexibility offered. Good uniform allowance.
Pros
Uniform allowance.
Enriching and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton City Centre, East Sussex10 September 2018
Friendly colleagues, enriching experience, taught me both how to work effectively in a team and independently. Also taught me high levels of responsibility, punctuality and communication.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

River Island Reviews by Location