River Island Employee Reviews for Sales Advisor

Good place to work as a student
Sales Advisor in a retail and fashion store (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham25 June 2018
A great environment to work in as you get to learn the latest fashion trend.

Staff are trained to be more customer focused and are trained on how to offer alternatives to customers when they could not find what they wanted from the store.
amazing
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2018
loved every minute working with River Island, i developed a myriad of skills and i learnt how to maintain store standards and approach customers giving them a warm welcome and with such long hour shift I obtained how to look after customers and know all new fashion trends. I enjoyed every part of the job ifelt passionate working within this industry.
Pros
amazing people
Awful - modern day slavery
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 June 2018
No appreciation from the management, your shifts are changed whenever the managers feel like it. Managers treat you like dirt. No progression. understaffed and over worked. Management are incompetent. Discrimination is apparent.
good place to work
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Bath22 May 2018
good benefits and really good pay for retail, just get boring as it's the same thing everyday. Christmas time is crazy busy and they aren't very good with allowing holiday at certain periods of time.
Pros
good discount and pay
Cons
long hours, boring, holiday is rubbish
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear9 May 2018
Working for this brand was a good way of learning about the world of retail. I was constantly kept busy and developed many skills whilst working there.

Opportunities to further your career are available, and the employee discounts are amazing!
Made some friends but did not like working there
River island- sales advisor temp (Former Employee) –  Chester13 April 2018
I found that River Island didn't care for their employees as much as they should. And the employees were not respected by some senior staff. I found that if some new staff made a mistake this would not be taken lightly by the senior employees.
poor management
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe18 March 2018
River island was a good place to work apart from the staff in thr high Wycombe store and management. The job is not hard but also the pay isn't great.
fun but bust
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London14 March 2018
Working at River Island for almost four years has been instrumental in the experience I’ve gained delivering exceptional and helpful customer service.
My duties ranged from assisting customers in the selection of clothing, offering guidance and suggestions to maintaining the shop floor keeping items well replenished and presentable at all times throughout the day. I was heavily responsible for this as I often worked alone or with one other person in my department.
Gaining my experience in interacting with customers, learning to build rapport and being a key part in finding solutions, has only readied me to pursue a career in what I’m truly passionate about, which is beauty
Dont waste your time
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire11 February 2018
Horrible management, overall get treated like **** and constantly expected to do overtime. okay for getting by but definitely not somewhere you'd want to stay and keep as a career. Managers talk to you like you're stupid but if they need something doing its all rainbows and unicorns!
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Horrible management.
Fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire8 February 2018
Quite busy at times but manageable and the majority of people were friendly. However some of the managers were very rude and bossy and makes no attempt to be friendly.
Amazing place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2018
Amazing place to work depending on which store you work at.
Good place to work if you get enough hours or days so part time or full time contract . Otherwise afew hours a day twice a week isn’t enough work wise, if your wanting a good pay end of month or if you want a more full time position unless you pick up hours at anouther store.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours, not enough days of work
Fun workplace - depending on the store
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 January 2018
Worked at a River Island close to where I used to live and LOVED the staff and management there. Went to another and hated it. With RI it all depends.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Sometimes iffy management
very productive and hands on
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire4 January 2018
Overall working for that company was a great experience , having first hand encounters with different mangers and customers boost your confidence and also allows you to gain key skills which can be applied in any workforce.
Pros
discount on restaurants
Cons
short notice on extra shifts
easy, boring
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scotland3 January 2018
Worked for a fair amount of time, did not enjoy my time there. often felt underappreciated. no prospects for advancement in the industry. had to be a security guard as well as pushing sales and getting gift cards and online orders, every start of a shift you get hounded to sell gift cards and get online orders, being told that you almost have to force people to get them. customers saying no three times is more than enough to understand they don't want to order items or buy a gift card. colleagues are pleasant and i met a few lovely people, unfortunately the turn over in the store i worked at was ridiculous. the sooner one person started another would leave.
fun workplace
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London13 December 2017
i enjoy working at River Island it is a fun company, the management are friendly and so is the staff they make you feel at home. I enjoyed working in a fast place environment, and learning new skills For example, i work on woman's wear shop floor but i was also trained operations which is the stock room which helped the growth on my retail knowledge. i will say the hardest part of working at river island is being able to manage task whilst being in a fast pace environment.
Pros
free lunches and prices
Cons
Very fast paced busy workplace but enjoyable.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire4 December 2017
Stock Replenishment was a must here as stock would just sell so fast, good communication with the store room team was a must as stock needed to be replenished alot. Till operation was fast paced as ques never seem to disappear especially near Christmas but fast pace and busy environments are my favorite as i don't like to be bored.
Shop floors and cash tills areas had to be kept spotless at all times and this was challenging but rewarding when we got mentions.
Pros
Never got bored
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool26 November 2017
early and late shifts, must be able to work on weekends, very sociable. lovely people, must have communication skills and a good work ethic hitting targets.
Boring, stressful and anti-social.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  White City29 October 2017
I was put in the fitting room every shift where I just stood there for 4 hours+. A lot of staff called in sick meaning there was more pressure on me to sort out all of the clothing in the fitting room as well as take them out onto the shop floor again. At times there were only 3 staff on a busy Saturday which was ridiculous! 10 minutes before the end of a long shift, some management would ask to stay an extra 4 hours due to staff calling in sick. I was under 18 and was made to work 10 hour shifts with only one one-hour break which is against the law I believe. Pay was awful (£5.80 an hour) and no extra pay when I worked on Sundays and Bank Holidays. No commission for sales. Wouldn't recommend any one to work there had a very poor experience.
Pros
40% Staff Discount
Cons
No extra pay for working on Sundays/Bank Holidays, Ask for overtime last minute, Staff called in sick all the time meaning more pressure on the staff that are there to work longer
Very bad place
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 October 2017
River island is the worst place i have worked at and ive worked in a few other retail jobs before. The managers dont care about you weather your doing anytbing ot not. On my first two days i did no get trained to do anything at all. It waa the worst experience beacuse i wanted to learn everytbjng but everytjme i went to my manager she'd give me a small job like lining up the clothes on the racks and thats about it. They didnt tell me anything about stock rooms, how to check sizes etc.
Hated it and left staight away.
Pros
Discount
productive workplace.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wigan11 October 2017
On a typical day I would arrive for my shift at 8am, and have my bag checked for regular inspections and then lead on to let members of staff know that I have arrived, I was in the stock room most of the time, unpacked job lots of clothes, handbags along with other accessories. I would then go on to label them with there price tags and insert a security tag on each item and then each item had to be put in there correct places ready to go out on the shop floor, I did this for several weeks before being moved onto the shop floor in the men's department, which I greeted customers and frequently asked each individual customer If they need any help, i had a device which helped me locate different items in the stock room to let customers know if we had the item in which they wished to have.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

River Island Reviews by Location