River Island Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester16 December 2017
overall a friendly and genuine workplace, a lot of part time students and not many staff over the age of 20 but I had fond memories at my short time working here. very easy work and the managers are very professional. would love to go back.
Pros
discount and uniform bonus
Cons
9 hour contracts :(
it was okay
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex14 December 2017
the staffs at river island were not so friendly to me which made me not want to work there anymore, even though it was only a christmas period.i learned a lot of reasonable skills but always felt under pressure which i did not like
bad management but some good perks
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  liverpool27 September 2017
Enjoyed working with customers but not with management. they are not keen on developing people in their role. nice perks - free clothes every 4 months.
Fun place to work.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow19 July 2017
This job involved working on the shop floor and helping customers with any queries they may have. It also involved making sure that the online orders that were delivered to the shop were scanned in and given to the right customer when they arrived to collect their order.
Pros
Good pay and hours.
Cons
Could be stressful at times if the shop was busy.
Fun workplace.
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton10 July 2017
I learned a lot from this job. The skills I learned would definitely help with my next job. I learned a lot about dealing with unruly customers. I learned to be more confident and to be a leader within a team. The management was great and patient when teaching me skills like working on the tills at the cash desk. Overall, wish I could have stayed longer but I was just a Christmas temp.
Friendly
Store Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands6 June 2017
The staff were friendly and helpful and welcoming. I felt like I quickly became a member of the team. I was always given help and support if and when needed.
great work place
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff10 April 2017
great workplace with excellent team work and managers. daily incentives and many oprions of where to work on the shop floor. meet great people whilst working here,
Retail Assitant
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire26 March 2017
Very modest place to work for a first new job, very polite and caring staff.
Excellent staff discount, bright and early morning start shifts
Very dedicated staff and always busy keeping you on your toes
Great place to work for highly thankful
productive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 March 2017
A typical day at this job would be making sure shop floor was tidy and all clothing would be accurate on hangers and shelving. The hardest part of this job would be at the end of the day tidying all shop floor and stocking all rails and shelves.
work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK7 March 2017
Skill gained were working in a fast paced environment, dealing with customer enquiries and complaints, maintain the shop floor. Skills gained were time keeping; self management, working under pressure and customer service
fun, interesting
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London21 February 2017
Really nice place to work, team was very helpful in teaching and training in new things. Management was also very helpful with any situations that arose within store.
Pros
discount and clothing
New experiences
Sales floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Mansfield6 February 2017
Working with River Island was my new experience as I have never worked in a clothing store before. It taught me more about customer service and how to deal with the customers in different situations.
amazing! staff are so nice and have made some true frineds working there.
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Kikrcaldy19 January 2017
I love working for River Island, so nice staff and customers are so lovely as well! you also get to look at all the nice clothes and get the discount! River Island is a good company to work for.
Pros
Amazing staff, discount
Cons
sometimes hours go slow
Amazing Customers
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  London12 December 2016
I love working at River More For The Customers And Meeting New People No Two days Are The Same!
Helping some one step out their safety and try new things and get confident in themselves through you're help is Brilliant
Pros
Discount and customers
Cons
Pay
Fab place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford Circus7 September 2016
interesting place to work, there's never a dull moment in river island, being able to see all the new clothing lines when they first arrive is brilliant! You get clothing allowance every 3 Months to get yourself some uniform (FREE CLOTHES)!! You do have to put up with a lot of rubbish sometimes from customers but that's just what working in retail is all about.
Pros
40% staff discount
Cons
Not paid enough for the things you are expected to do
very productive
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast6 September 2016
River Island aims to make their store a clean and nice place to shop in, while working their employees hard they ensure they have fun and have the correct breaks
Pros
free uniform
Enjoyable
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London17 June 2016
Customer interaction is inevitable on a daily basis, with the sometimes high pressure nature of the job, I was able to develop my communication skills and patience.
Oftentimes work was as part of a team, management generally fell to the manager, but every member of staff was fun to work with.
Helpful nurturing team workplace
Retail Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teesside7 June 2016
Very helpful elder team members
Supervisors help newer staff stay sharp and alert
Friendly environment
It's mostly annoying not finding a retail item for a customer
retail sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames27 May 2016
I learnt about how to give good customer service and how to work in different sections of the store. My management and co-workers were very helpful with showing me what to do in each section of the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people as a lot of people started working around the same time as me so we all knew what we were going through so it was easy to talk to everyone.
Pros
Free Uniform
Cons
No breaks
Boring and miserable workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 February 2016
The co-workers and management were miserable and you couldn't have a laugh with any of them. The management put you on different sections of the shop during the 9 hours of being open. Most of the time the management would forget about the person on the door to stop shoplifters, instead of being there for 1 hour you could be there for up to 4 hours.
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

River Island Reviews by Location