River Island Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Not for someone looking for full time hours
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Bullring, West Midlands1 March 2018
Back of house work.
Stockroom
Lack off jobs to do.
Sitting around waiting to be told what to do as everything you did was based off what the managers of that section wanted done on that specific day.
Hardest part of the job was looking for things to do when everything had been completed so they do not give you a challenge.
The most challenging thing would probably be moving stock round to how they want it because they are quite picky.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the friends I made there, and also the customers I was able to speak to.
Pros
Free uniform, team mates.
Cons
Short hours, not a lot of commutation from managers.
Fun
Retail assiant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire12 February 2018
Great company , members of staff were friendly , always pushing you to do your best , excellent benefits for working with the company. All round a great job
River Island
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 February 2018
I enjoyed my time at River Island and enjoyed members of the staff. I was sad when they could no longer provide me with anymore hours after the Christmas period.
Pros
staff, management
xmas temp
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston19 January 2018
Busy store located in the shopping centre, many customers visit here daily and shop for all different reasons, Staff were great and shop had a vibrant feel and look. I enjoyed monitoring fitting rooms and giving advice on chosen outfits.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester16 December 2017
overall a friendly and genuine workplace, a lot of part time students and not many staff over the age of 20 but I had fond memories at my short time working here. very easy work and the managers are very professional. would love to go back.
Pros
discount and uniform bonus
Cons
9 hour contracts :(
it was okay
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Essex14 December 2017
the staffs at river island were not so friendly to me which made me not want to work there anymore, even though it was only a christmas period.i learned a lot of reasonable skills but always felt under pressure which i did not like
bad management but some good perks
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  liverpool27 September 2017
Enjoyed working with customers but not with management. they are not keen on developing people in their role. nice perks - free clothes every 4 months.
Fun place to work.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow19 July 2017
This job involved working on the shop floor and helping customers with any queries they may have. It also involved making sure that the online orders that were delivered to the shop were scanned in and given to the right customer when they arrived to collect their order.
Pros
Good pay and hours.
Cons
Could be stressful at times if the shop was busy.
Fun workplace.
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton10 July 2017
I learned a lot from this job. The skills I learned would definitely help with my next job. I learned a lot about dealing with unruly customers. I learned to be more confident and to be a leader within a team. The management was great and patient when teaching me skills like working on the tills at the cash desk. Overall, wish I could have stayed longer but I was just a Christmas temp.
Friendly
Store Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands6 June 2017
The staff were friendly and helpful and welcoming. I felt like I quickly became a member of the team. I was always given help and support if and when needed.

Want to know more about River Island?

Ask a question
great work place
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff10 April 2017
great workplace with excellent team work and managers. daily incentives and many oprions of where to work on the shop floor. meet great people whilst working here,
Retail Assitant
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire26 March 2017
Very modest place to work for a first new job, very polite and caring staff.
Excellent staff discount, bright and early morning start shifts
Very dedicated staff and always busy keeping you on your toes
Great place to work for highly thankful
productive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 March 2017
A typical day at this job would be making sure shop floor was tidy and all clothing would be accurate on hangers and shelving. The hardest part of this job would be at the end of the day tidying all shop floor and stocking all rails and shelves.
work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK7 March 2017
Skill gained were working in a fast paced environment, dealing with customer enquiries and complaints, maintain the shop floor. Skills gained were time keeping; self management, working under pressure and customer service
fun, interesting
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London21 February 2017
Really nice place to work, team was very helpful in teaching and training in new things. Management was also very helpful with any situations that arose within store.
Pros
discount and clothing
New experiences
Sales floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Mansfield6 February 2017
Working with River Island was my new experience as I have never worked in a clothing store before. It taught me more about customer service and how to deal with the customers in different situations.
amazing! staff are so nice and have made some true frineds working there.
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Kikrcaldy19 January 2017
I love working for River Island, so nice staff and customers are so lovely as well! you also get to look at all the nice clothes and get the discount! River Island is a good company to work for.
Pros
Amazing staff, discount
Cons
sometimes hours go slow
Amazing Customers
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  London12 December 2016
I love working at River More For The Customers And Meeting New People No Two days Are The Same!
Helping some one step out their safety and try new things and get confident in themselves through you're help is Brilliant
Pros
Discount and customers
Cons
Pay
Fab place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford Circus7 September 2016
interesting place to work, there's never a dull moment in river island, being able to see all the new clothing lines when they first arrive is brilliant! You get clothing allowance every 3 Months to get yourself some uniform (FREE CLOTHES)!! You do have to put up with a lot of rubbish sometimes from customers but that's just what working in retail is all about.
Pros
40% staff discount
Cons
Not paid enough for the things you are expected to do
very productive
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast6 September 2016
River Island aims to make their store a clean and nice place to shop in, while working their employees hard they ensure they have fun and have the correct breaks
Pros
free uniform

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.

River Island Reviews by Location