River Island Employee Reviews in London

Depends
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  London24 December 2017
It can be terribly boring and uncomfortable, or fun and lively, depending on the people who are present and the current weather. Windows never opened.
Cons
Lack of oxygen; extreme temperatures in certain parts of warehouse.
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 December 2017
typical day involves delivery process. Good team culture and relationships. Get along with management well. Through working on delivery it teaches you step by step processes and how to keep organised. hardest part of the job is the early mornings. Most enjoyable is the workplace culture.
Pros
Cons
Early mornings
flexible and good work life balance
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  london13 December 2017
learnt end to end order fulfilment
learnt different payment gateway
good management
flexible work life
good staff relationship and fun
i enjoyed the fact that i work from home most of the time
I enjoyed my time here
Recruitment Manager - Retail (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 December 2017
I enjoyed working for River Island but it was more about working for a well known brand.

I worked really hard here and unfortunately there was little praise or appreciation of my efforts.
Pros
Staff Shop
Cons
Lack of appreciation
Face paced, fun, hard work
Operations Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 December 2017
River Island was a generally good company to work for in the sense of how you can progress and develop where wanted to, you would just need to voice where you want to go and the management would help guide you to where you needed to be.

After learning everything necessary to the role they may increase your responsibilities and work load, this might be where they close their eyes to seeing how much you're working, maybe too much, in the sense of back breaking efforts not appreciated how they could be.

If I could say one thing, I'd be so grateful for the opportunity and fun I had there but also for the 6 pack of abs and arms of steel ha. However they could look after their employees, particularly management a little better. perhaps bring in more incentives and something to work for, maybe rewarded for such efforts, it takes a lot of manual labour to run a store. Draining and tiring, it was worth it for the progression opportunities, if you're ambitious enough.
Cons
Please read below
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 December 2017
Great vibe with colleagues and floor manager, love the free clothes every 2 months for uniform.
I’ve learnt a lot about customer service and styling mannequins
Pros
Stylish clothes
Cons
Poor management
busy and fun environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross, London12 November 2017
shop is always busy with different types of customers coming in and out everyday. you never stop, so you're always running around the store because there is always a customer asking for something from the back or your team member needs to be covered on the shop floor. staff are friendly and approachable. good place to work is you like to be busy and talk to alot of people,you have to be confident and know what you are talking about. if you're not then retail isn't for you.
work place
Sales consultant (Former Employee) –  london30 October 2017
stacking shelfs everyday when i was meant to be on tills
no trust issues as i was young
always made staff stay back with out overtime pay
not a great place to work
Fun Workplace
Sales/Stockroom/Product Operative (Former Employee) –  London27 October 2017
- The team was supportive.
- The more you learn about your role the more you can apply yourself.
- A typical day at work would include going over what needs to be done in terms of priority.
Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2017
Worked at River Island for a few years, great first proper job. Hardest part of the job is it very repetitive and the customers can be very difficult with little help from managers.
Very bad place
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 October 2017
River island is the worst place i have worked at and ive worked in a few other retail jobs before. The managers dont care about you weather your doing anytbing ot not. On my first two days i did no get trained to do anything at all. It waa the worst experience beacuse i wanted to learn everytbjng but everytjme i went to my manager she'd give me a small job like lining up the clothes on the racks and thats about it. They didnt tell me anything about stock rooms, how to check sizes etc.
Hated it and left staight away.
Pros
Discount
Hard working retailer
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 October 2017
•Assisted customers with product enquires and offered advice on our different product lines
•Ensured that all sales targets were continually met
•Took ownership of all stock transfers and liaised with different stores to ensure that customer’s requirements were met
•Assisted management and fellow team members to organise special promotions during sale-time
Pros
N.A
Cons
Best thing is staff discount
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 October 2017
Management don't seem to care about workers much - no support with days off/being ill.

The only perk is staff discount and free uniform.

You'll be lucky to get a day off given to you or even to go home if you're unwell.
Unpleaseant place to work
Sales Advisor (Christmas temp) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2017
I did not enjoy this job, the managers were very inconsistent and would always give you conflicting information. I was never sure of my hours and it was a very unstable place to work.

There was no teamwork nor chances to advance your career.
work long hours not enjoyable
Christmas temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 September 2017
long hours , pressured to work overtime even when you tell them your a student. benefit of work uniform and discount however if your new they seemed annoyed that you bothered asking
Very busy but low pay
Full time Sales Assistant (Level 1) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 September 2017
River island is a fantastic place to work to gain customer service experience, its ideal if you are studying or wanting to work part time but i wouldn't recommend working here permanently for a long length amount of time.
Horrific
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2017
they take students and then bully them to do all the work while management relaxes. They do not appreciate the staff and always try to overwork you. Not a good experience
Pros
discount
Cons
no time to breath.
productive fun worlplace
opperations (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2017
A busy day at work and never left doing nothing. there is always something that needs to be done and having a good team of managers and peers around you really helps.
Pros
never left doing nothing
Social friendly workplace
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  London14 August 2017
A Typical day at work:

My day to day role tasks are constantly changing due to the nature of the role. From supplier meetings, to managing fit sessions and preparing for sign offs - my days are very varied

What have I learnt?

River Island has taught me how to build great working relationships both with suppliers and work colleagues. Along with organisation and the ability to multi task efficiently, as well as build my skills to be a respected Manager.

Workplace culture:

- River Island is very social, with work parties to employee benefits.
A day in the life of a sales assistant at River Island
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 July 2017
A typical day at work starts with signing in for my shift then go trough a deployment with the managers to look at reviews and what needs to be done for the day. Serve customers and tidy up as necessary and replenish the shop floor as and when required.
The end of the day can sometimes be hard as well as recovery because all items needs to be checked, tidied up and restocked.
Dealing with customers on a daily basis and offering the best service.
Pros
flexible hours and a generous discount on clothing and uniforms
Cons
dealing with difficult staff members

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.