River Island Employee Reviews in London

Its a very good job as I have to meet deadlines so i push myself
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2018
A typical day at work will be 4 hour shifts with no breaks but it is me just pushing myself to helping every customer,maintaining the shop floor and serving. I have learned how to use a till correctly,approach customers,maintain the floor efficiently,how to locate items in the stockroom,address male and female customers and several more things. Management in the store is very good as they build a relationship with you opposed to just telling you to do things.The culture of the workplace is very family like even though is people from different backgrounds. Its very paternalistic.The hardest part of the job is maintaining the floor as customers are very reckless in most areas of the floor. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that i get to socialise with many people.
Pros
There is a discount and i have people my age.
Cons
At times it can get boring
New Experience
Sales Assistance (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2018
This was my first official paying job. I was given a taste of how intense retail can be. I was put in the deep end from day 1, as i was expected to manage kids area. This included attending to customers needs which required me to go stock room, putting new clothes out, returning clothes in their allocated places and doing tills.

The most difficult part of the job was doing it by myself and trying to figure out things on the job while it got very busy. This was not a one man job. I think having guidance and support was needed, but i did my best.

However, I enjoyed meeting the new people and helping customers, definitely the best part of the job. :)
Pros
New experience
Amazing discount
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 September 2018
Amazing discount and benefits, work life balance perfect. 39 hours per week after breaks and lunch therefore works out to be 45 hours. progression not so good.
Fun place to work nice people
Sales associate/Women's Product Manager (Former Employee) –  London20 September 2018
Fun place to work while I was at Uni, the discount is good 50% if i remember correctly and we got free uniform! typical day is pretty much the same every day, just putting stock out keeping the shop floor tidy and standards good. My management team were amazing they were super flexible and I was able to transfer store when I needed to.
fun experience.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
Meeting the customers who walk through the door and helping them in every way we can is of course our first priority. This means finding the perfect outfit for them, or even custom ordering whatever meets their needs. Also keeping track of stock, ordering new stock, accounting, setting up a marketing campaign for our regular promotions or special deals, … is part of our daily work day.
good place to work
shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 October 2018
loved working here when I was younger but it didn't suit my family life. I needed flexible hours which they couldn't provide. work was very repetitive also
Pros
staff discount!
fun but bust
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London14 March 2018
Working at River Island for almost four years has been instrumental in the experience I’ve gained delivering exceptional and helpful customer service.
My duties ranged from assisting customers in the selection of clothing, offering guidance and suggestions to maintaining the shop floor keeping items well replenished and presentable at all times throughout the day. I was heavily responsible for this as I often worked alone or with one other person in my department.
Gaining my experience in interacting with customers, learning to build rapport and being a key part in finding solutions, has only readied me to pursue a career in what I’m truly passionate about, which is beauty
It was ok
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London23 June 2018
Discount nice people like the customers busy was fun got to meet new people who I work with. They were all nice .just need better hours and need something new
Pros
Discount
Cons
Non really long hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 June 2018
Very organised and structured, well presented and fun work environment, i reaaly enjoyed working here as it gave me the right experinces and right attitude when in the working environment
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Good job depending on the management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
As a company, River island provides good contracted hours, a stress free environment and a fair pay. However, if you need time off its next to impossible unless you have booked it nearly a year in advance. Most mangers I have worked with have been miserable and created a negative environment.
Hard working retailer
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 October 2017
•Assisted customers with product enquires and offered advice on our different product lines
•Ensured that all sales targets were continually met
•Took ownership of all stock transfers and liaised with different stores to ensure that customer’s requirements were met
•Assisted management and fellow team members to organise special promotions during sale-time
Pros
N.A
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London13 December 2017
typical day involves delivery process. Good team culture and relationships. Get along with management well. Through working on delivery it teaches you step by step processes and how to keep organised. hardest part of the job is the early mornings. Most enjoyable is the workplace culture.
Pros
Cons
Early mornings
Not for me..
Administrator (Current Employee) –  London9 May 2018
I can't make a judgement call for the whole head office as it's over 1000 employees but the department of which I worked in wasn't for me with no chance of progression.
Pros
Discount
Cons
productive and fun place to work
sales advisor christmas temp (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 July 2018
Fun interview process, kind employees and managers. I didn't get a break as my shift was only 4 hrs and a half so its understandable. Enjoyed working and would recommend others to apply for any positions they have available at the moment.
Pros
60% staff discount
Cons
none really
Best job
Senior Sales/ Footwear Specialist -Ladies- wear (Former Employee) –  London10 September 2018
Really enjoyed working here, amazing people good atmosphere, they do always seem to get the pay wrong, thats why I left, and new manager come who was not nice
productive
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London30 September 2018
I was a Christmas temp so I was only there for a short period of time. I cant describe it that much but overall I will say it was a very nice place to work in.
good
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 August 2018
gained working Experian in retail, privately owned business with well organised development opportunities, someone who enjoys clothing and fashion can climb hirer in organisation.
Great fast passed, fashion forward, inspiring Brand
Field Flagship Visual Display & Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 January 2017
Conduct daily visits to allocated Flagship stores, advising, training the area, in-store management and store teams of the company guidelines for the seasonal strategy and how they can taylor this within their stores.

Ensure window displays and visual aspects were of high standards and update with new products to match head office guidelines.

Hold weekly conference calls with stores, area managers and head office to ensure all are updated on weekly targets and up coming events or promotions to prepare for.

Train new members of the VM team.

Plan and organise new window schemes and internal visual ideas.

I gained confidence in being able to speak to all levels within the brand.
Pros
Creativity, window concepts, leadership, communication skills
Cons
long hours and lots of traveling would work over 45hrs a week
Great beginner experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2018
It was fun working there as my first job but it is very easy to get exploited for labour. The pay is ridiculously low compared to local stores and management was unorganised and rude.
Pros
Discount has risen
Cons
Management, Low Pay
Face paced, fun, hard work
Operations Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 December 2017
River Island was a generally good company to work for in the sense of how you can progress and develop where wanted to, you would just need to voice where you want to go and the management would help guide you to where you needed to be.

After learning everything necessary to the role they may increase your responsibilities and work load, this might be where they close their eyes to seeing how much you're working, maybe too much, in the sense of back breaking efforts not appreciated how they could be.

If I could say one thing, I'd be so grateful for the opportunity and fun I had there but also for the 6 pack of abs and arms of steel ha. However they could look after their employees, particularly management a little better. perhaps bring in more incentives and something to work for, maybe rewarded for such efforts, it takes a lot of manual labour to run a store. Draining and tiring, it was worth it for the progression opportunities, if you're ambitious enough.
Cons
Please read below

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.