River Island Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Found 35 reviews matching the search See all 1,242 reviews
amazing
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2018
loved every minute working with River Island, i developed a myriad of skills and i learnt how to maintain store standards and approach customers giving them a warm welcome and with such long hour shift I obtained how to look after customers and know all new fashion trends. I enjoyed every part of the job ifelt passionate working within this industry.
Pros
amazing people
Awful - modern day slavery
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 June 2018
No appreciation from the management, your shifts are changed whenever the managers feel like it. Managers treat you like dirt. No progression. understaffed and over worked. Management are incompetent. Discrimination is apparent.
Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 March 2018
Working at River Island is a fun and enjoyable way to develop people skills, how to approach the public and also work part of a team efficiently.
As well as gaining skills you have fun working with the team as everyone is great to work alongside.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Last minute extra shifts
Exceptionally creative and productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 February 2018
Whilst working at river island I was able to encounter and interact with a wide range individuals, this was a beneficial experience for me as I was able to further develop my communication and interactive skills. I enjoyed being part of the team within river island as they were very and welcoming, I was able to get along with all the staff and managers and walk away with an overall positive expirence
It was a fun work place but also serious at same time
River island (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 September 2017
Working in river land was a good thing for me because it help me push myself to a limit that was needed and also push up my communication skills . I was happy to work there
Cons
I didn’t have long hours because I was just a college student doing a simple work experience .
Good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham22 August 2017
Really fun job, great people and advantages, nice clothes, short shifts which can be good for some people, new music to listen to all the time, lots of people similar to yourself
Pros
Free clothes and discounts
Cons
Not a lot of pregreasion
Fun and busy place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands18 August 2017
Days are very busy but i like to be on my feet and have something to do, freindly people and good advantages. I enjoy working with colleagues and helping each other
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 August 2017
Very Active work place, you have to help a lot with different jobs during your shift, management is always easy to get along with, treat you like a proper team member, customers can be difficult and aggressive at time but you learn how to deal with them in a professional manner. You enjoy the job when you see the satisfied faces of customers and enjoy customer compliments the most.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not enough hours
River Island
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 May 2017
Good place to work at because it's fun and I have learnt a large amount of knowledge and now have experience in the customer assistance industry so I cannot thank them enough
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
productive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 March 2017
A typical day at this job would be making sure shop floor was tidy and all clothing would be accurate on hangers and shelving. The hardest part of this job would be at the end of the day tidying all shop floor and stocking all rails and shelves.
Did not like it here
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 February 2017
Did not like it here working here was like, they dont care about you, your time how much you are doing for them nothing.
Never work here again.
Pros
Cons
everything
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 February 2017
Worked as a Christmas temp but it was such a good work placement. Loved every minute of it. Everyday was different. Really enjoyed it
Great Work Culture
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 January 2017
The culture of the workplace is amazing, amazing people, amazing environment. However, management handle situations poorly, they communicate poorly and hinder the postive working experience.
Pros
work culture
Cons
management
Fun workplace
Delivery Staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 January 2017
Just get in, do your job well, respect your colleagues and get out. Follow these simples steps and you will avoid drama and getting into it with management.
Pros
Discount
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 January 2017
i get only 4 hours per shift, but even that feels soo short at times, the time flys when im surrounded with nice and friendly. the managers are really nice however we aren't allowed to bring water bottles to the front which is annoying because constantly have to run to the back for water.
fast paced environment
Sales Advisor (Christmas Temp) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 December 2016
you are taught new tasks everyday, the jobs and requirements are constantly changing so you have to be very independent and motivated! Co-workers were nice to work with that was the best part of the job!
Pros
discounted prices on retail
Cons
cut people easily, doing the same task for 8 hours
Rude staff and low pay
Level 2 Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 December 2016
- I earned just over minimum wage in a managerial role
- Management were rude to staff i.e shouting at them in public
- Poor shift management (did not who was supposed to be working when)
- Failed to sort out my tax leading to me being emergency taxed for 4 months straight
- Expect you to wear only current river island clothing but only provide 20% off for you to buy these items
- long unsociable hours
Pros
20% discount
Cons
poor pay, rude staff, long hours
Local produtivo e muito boa equipa
Vendedora (Former Employee) –  Birmingham3 December 2016
Muito boa equipa e espirito de equipa entre os colegas
Boa gerência e organização .
Amazing place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 August 2016
best experience of my life, it a shame it was a Christmas temp job however I would definitely work for them again the staff are great and easy to get along with.
Pros
40% discount, flexible hours
Cons
Nothing was amazing best expeinace ever
Varied workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham15 June 2016
Frequently offered overtime. Interesting meeting new people and learnt a lot of new skills. Would recommend as a first job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.