River Island Employee Reviews

Found 1,177 reviews matching the search See all 1,299 reviews
christmas temp
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  forge glasogow11 January 2019
working as a temp on christmas was okay not alot of work to do until boxing day sale just stood there until someone needed something in a different size or any help.
Good Environment
Sales assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire11 January 2019
Everyone was friendly, understanding and hardworking. Never felt alone or like I could not approach higher members of staff for help. It was temporary Christmas work but very memorable.
productive workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London11 January 2019
was lovely working with river island worked here for just under a year staff was nice always a good vibe working with colleagues and helping customers.
Pros
staff discount 40%
Cons
no cons
fun
Operations manager (Former Employee) –  London8 January 2019
very friendly environment very clean and enjoyable very relaxed we had a staff shop that was best shop iv seen in my entire life full of river island stock at low prices
Great benefits and salary
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough7 January 2019
I loved working at River island, the work benefits were amazing, and not only that, the job wasn't too difficult - the tasks became easier with time and became second nature.
Pros
40 percent off
Productive and fun workplace
River Island Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds6 January 2019
River island is a fun and exiting place to work , with brilliant staff discount and lovely team members. However the job is very hands on and tiring and you are on your feet through your most of the day.
Not supportive management and alot of favouratism
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waltham Forest, Greater London6 January 2019
I didn't look forward to a single shift. the manager would talk about the workers to other employees, a lot of gossiping. I was never allowed a day off as someone had apparently already booked it but when I came to my shift they workers said no one is off and it was available to book, A lot of favouritism, didn't get any training so was left alone on floor for the morning as only 3 people were in in the morning. was not authorised to delete items off the till at all throughout my employment which became a huge pain when very busy and customer decided they didn't want the item and no one was available to authorise the item being deleted. the notice period however was good - one week only.
Pros
overtime availability
Cons
pay
Boring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire5 January 2019
Okay place to work often moved from one department to another. Alot to take in and cut my hours down from 20 to 8 which became a struggle so had to leave.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Hours
Busy high street retail
Gateshead- Part-Time Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gateshead5 January 2019
River Island was a great company to work for aas my first job in the retail industry, the hours were flexible, working around me as i was a full time student.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees2 January 2019
Was a great place to work over the Christmas period, they all work so well as a team it was lovely. Was always diffeeent challenges every day which I enjoyed.
friendly
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire2 January 2019
Everyday we had to make sure that the store was clean and all the rejects were out also we had to make sure that their was no one waiting at till and that if no one need serving we would go help make the store look clean, put stock out, put new prices on things if sale.learned how to use the til well and how to work well under pressure. the management team were very friendly but at the same time made sure everything was under control.the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and also having a laugh with colleagues.
Fun workplace
Driver (Current Employee) –  Manchester2 January 2019
The hardest part of the job was loading the clothes
The staff are respectful and friendly and the job is very easy for anyone it is a very fun workplace aswell
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Great i loved it there!!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Thurrock1 January 2019
A typical day at River Island for a sales advisor is pretty fast paced, you will be breifed before your shift ,every shift ( shifts were usually 4 hours long) on the stores targets and current standing. I was trained quickly and very well by fellow staff members and managers. It is a very fast paced environment especially when it is busy so be prepared to always be on your feet doing something new and helping customers to the best of your ability. Some customers were rude but just call a manager to your location and they will handle it.
I found all the staff and managers very friendly and welcoming always up to make the work day as fun and interesting as possible and not once did I feel singled out or alone. Even though i would always be asking questions or needing help I did not once feel like people were getting frustrated with me but i felt that they were very quick to help and show me. I loved working here the only reason I left was because I was moving for personal reasons but other than that I would have stayed and continued. Working for River Island Lakeside really did feel like a family xx
Pros
The staff uniform were clothes from the shop floor during that time.
Cons
Store targets could occasionally be unrealistic and hard for staff on the floor to achieve.
A good stepping stone
Sales Manager UK (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London9 December 2018
While I have enjoyed my time at River it isn't a company I see myself with long term. It could be the store I have worked in but there are still some areas the company as a whole needs to work on.

Plans change last minute with minimal communication. Communication isn't always clear. Customer service don't back stores choices and seem to lack understanding of store policies. IT support are slow and unsupportive,

I have also found where there have been massive hour and task reductions to focus on people or management with people skills have been seen as less of a priority. Being hired as a manager with people skills has meant I have been left feeling excluded and not part of the team as other management are product skill based.

Holidays have to be all booked in normally in january for the whole year but recently we had to book all of them in for November. There is then very little ability to change. You essentially have to plan your whole life a year in advance.

although career development is welcomed and can be thoroughly supported, I have found if you are not on very good terms with senior management your requests will very rarely be looked at.

The team and a number of the people are brilliant and really make the job easier. There is a sense of everyone supports each other.
Pros
team members
Cons
management
Customer relation and upselling based
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 December 2018
Have a great team I work closely with and personal understandings of products with our walk-ins and locals. I enjoy scanning in parcels, multi tasking on tills and great communication over team radios.
Pros
Great management and team work, 40% off
Cons
Part time only
productive
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London7 December 2018
I learned a lot of essential skills during my time of work here, you have to be prepared to work a lot and be turned down shifts so a specific salary is not in place
silly small contracts
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 December 2018
management is ridiculously terrible and unnecessarily strict
working hours are too short 4 hours a day not suitable for fully flex people
discount is amazing though
free uniform
Pros
discount
Cons
short contracts
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire28 November 2018
All the management team and staff work hard to make sure that stealing is as limited as possible. All the managers treat everyone fairly within the business.
Pros
Loads of overtime
Cons
Some of the staff are rude and immature
Not too bad
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield26 November 2018
Wasn't bad but was only a seasonal job which meant no job security, but in the time I was there it was good although wasn't given much of a chance to work on the shop floor in the Mens department, despite me having a background of working in a Mens store. All in all, not a bad place to work if you don't mind doing repetitive tasks like with any retail job.
Pros
Free clothing allowance, flexible hours, always extra hours going.
Cons
Late shifts, cold store room
Operations - Oxford Circus 301
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London20 November 2018
I worked here quite recently.
I got told it would be a permenant position but it was actually only 2 MONTHS!
Only got told one week before my contract ended. So I didn’t even get time to find a new job basically unemployed now. I even kept asking for a transfer to a nearer River Island and the managers take so long to do a simple thing. I never got the transfer!
The staff make you feel so unwelcome when you first come. They only train you one day then you have to do everything else by yourself! Very strict company to work for and the managers are beyone rude and swear at you which is so unprofessional! No offensive. Lack of communication!
They don’t care much about their staff. They say the positions are permenant but really they mean they are temporary and they only renew it. If they want to keep you. If not they replace you with someone else right in front of your face and tell you they have 0 hours for you!
Wouldn’t recommend this company at all
Also a lot of your pay goes back to River Island as you have to wear their clothes. They only give you uniform every three months but it’s not much only a top and jeans only up to how many days you work and depending on how much you get paid!
What a joke
Pros
Staff discount. Getting paid
Cons
Horrible managers, bad overtime hours, very boring place to work, unwelcoming staff, terrible training, horrific communication via managers, temporary positions, very strict company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.