River Island Employee Reviews

xmas temp
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston19 January 2018
Busy store located in the shopping centre, many customers visit here daily and shop for all different reasons, Staff were great and shop had a vibrant feel and look. I enjoyed monitoring fitting rooms and giving advice on chosen outfits.
awful job
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire18 January 2018
worst place I have ever work, staff are always rude and don't care about anyone but themselves, do not care if you are ill or in hospital still make you feel bad for being off
Amazing place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2018
Amazing place to work depending on which store you work at.
Good place to work if you get enough hours or days so part time or full time contract . Otherwise afew hours a day twice a week isn’t enough work wise, if your wanting a good pay end of month or if you want a more full time position unless you pick up hours at anouther store.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours, not enough days of work
Good for first job/part-time
sales assistnat (Current Employee) –  WORCESTERSHIRE17 January 2018
I began working here when I was 16. It's ideal for students/young people looking for a bit of money. However, I have worked here now for nearly 4 years and I have found it very difficult to get extra hours, resulting in me needing to look for a new job.
Fun workplace
Women's sales/product Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk17 January 2018
Check emails, confirm safe float, analyse sales and review daily targets. Walk through the floor to see what needs to be done. Ensure team get their briefs at the start of their shifts.
Team is always encouraged to have fun and communicate any concerns.
Hardest part of the job is when it's short staffed at a busy time, but everyone pulls together to get things done.
Pros
Going to different stores
river island
sales administrator, Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 January 2018
river island is a fun place to work in and to get to know the staff and people around you different days helping customers and I loved the atmosphere in the place but the downside of the job was when stress becomes a priority especially knowing how to deal with customers its very important to have a calm temper when dealing with every situation and I am good with people are being under pressure ..
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chafford Hundred, Essex10 January 2018
I am very interested in this position as it relates strongly to my vast experience in CCTV Enforcement and also my general knowledge of the Parking industry.
For the past 3 years I have been working as a cctv enforcement officer for my Ealing council authority. During my employment I have learnt how to handle various parking and operational situations professionally and efficiently using my own knowledge and any available resources.
As can be seen from my CV, I possess all the necessary industry related certification, am CRB cleared and hold numerous relevant academic qualifications. I also possess a helpful attitude, good team working skills and am prepared to put in that extra effort which makes all of the difference.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
no long hours
Fun but difficult at times
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire9 January 2018
Very fun at times, very fast paced and quite a nice environment to work in. However, it can get very difficult and demanding. Lovely people in the store to work with and learn skills with.
Pros
Amazing staff discount and uniform allowance
Cons
Awkward hours
Fun workplace - depending on the store
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire8 January 2018
Worked at a River Island close to where I used to live and LOVED the staff and management there. Went to another and hated it. With RI it all depends.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Sometimes iffy management
Busy, co operative fun workplace
Christmas staff (Former Employee) –  Victoria8 January 2018
Although this was only a Christmas position I held out some hope they would be able to keep me on as a permanent member of staff. Unfortunately as they have their full quota of staff right now this was not the case. I found this job exciting and rewarding as most of the customers were around my age group.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Christmas rush
Friendly
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London7 January 2018
hardworking and friendly, welcoming team and management. Challenging and helpful for future jobs and experiences that will come from working at river island
Down to the point
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 January 2018
Normal working day is same job for the shift, picked up basic skills which I can take into everyday life, management can be unreasonable, not much interaction between workers, shifts do become stretched compared to other jobs.
very productive and hands on
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire4 January 2018
Overall working for that company was a great experience , having first hand encounters with different mangers and customers boost your confidence and also allows you to gain key skills which can be applied in any workforce.
Pros
discount on restaurants
Cons
short notice on extra shifts
Enjoyable place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Margate, Kent4 January 2018
Spending all day on your feet! But enjoyable environment.
I covered everything from a delivery to a stock take. Able to open and close the store and handle daily takings.
I worked my from an apprentice to a trainee Manager.
Pros
Staff discount. Lovely staff
Cons
Long hours especially over the festive period
easy, boring
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scotland3 January 2018
Worked for a fair amount of time, did not enjoy my time there. often felt underappreciated. no prospects for advancement in the industry. had to be a security guard as well as pushing sales and getting gift cards and online orders, every start of a shift you get hounded to sell gift cards and get online orders, being told that you almost have to force people to get them. customers saying no three times is more than enough to understand they don't want to order items or buy a gift card. colleagues are pleasant and i met a few lovely people, unfortunately the turn over in the store i worked at was ridiculous. the sooner one person started another would leave.
Good work place
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent2 January 2018
Nice company to work for , busy store looks good at all times good work opportunities there I started as fitting room girl in 2004 and left to have children in 2013 I also went bk as a xmas temp in dec 2017
Pros
Discount
Cons
Communication
Lack of progression in Finance department
Finance (Current Employee) –  West London, Greater London2 January 2018
There is a lack of goal congruence within the company.

What manager you fall under greatly inhibits or enhances your experience.

The Finance department is an afterthought.Roles are not advertised internally. If you are looking to progress within a company, look elsewhere.
depressing and degrading
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes1 January 2018
would not recommend anyone to work there. you are simply treated as a slave, you don't get recognized for any of the things you do, but to just get dissed and told of in front of your co workers, you get threatened that you will lose your job.
Pros
Cons
mangers are rude, you get paid so little for how much work you have to do, which is a LOT, mangers talk about each other and their staff in a bad light, freedom is extremely limited, lack of respect to the temps (they get treated like they are irrelevant!
Loved working at river island
Product manager (Former Employee) –  Cheshunt, Hertfordshire31 December 2017
Fast fun challenging and great working enviroment. I also worked at the head office for 2 years in the epos department. I visited most stores around tge country implementing tills and computers, i also assistedwith audits. Then i was product manager at cheshunt for 2 years. My store became centre of excellence so we became a training store for other managers.
Pros
Staff discount
Fun but busy work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire29 December 2017
I liked the job but I was only a Christmas temp, the job could of given more training as I was till trained correctly but then was moved onto stock without any training atall so found it difficult especially around a busy period like Christmas
Pros
Discount on clothing
Cons
Not enough training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.