River Island Employee Reviews

Depends what job role you have
Sales and Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear21 April 2018
I currently work in a sales and service role and its pointless. Staff are rude, especially if you're new as they're unwilling to help you. Management are unreliable especially with the rota it's always put up at the last minute. The shift hours are short but are weird times and hours aren't changed very often which is unfair if you have to work the late shifts every week. In terms of work life balance its hard to make plans especially when the rota isn't put up with enough time to make plans. Also they're very stingy with holidays, you can request it off but they always reject them which is unfair as sometimes I have had to cancel plans and lost money because of it, they're very unfair with students around exam time also as they don't allow holidays in May/ June. Pay is a positive however as it's above minimum wage and also discount is great but it is capped. Uniform allowance is strict as you have to buy clothes that are cheap enough to come under the allowance. Overall the role is boring but it totally depends on the job role, who's working and whether it's busy or not. The hardest part of the job is the pressure management put you under to meet sales targets, the easiest is how it requires basic skill.
Pros
Good discount, good wage
Cons
bad management, poor work- life balnce, late shifts
Just a job
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire18 April 2018
There was not too much to complain about, the job itself wasn't over complicated, it was actually rather simple, however it was a little disappointing no one would talk to me and the management wasn't the best help either.
Fun workplace and comprehensive training
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire17 April 2018
Hours in the day shifts are usually shorter for part time staff and at frustrating times of the day e.g. 11am-5pm making a part time shift feel more like a full time shift due to the long hours. There is a really good opportunities to learn new skills such as till operation.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Odd hours
Bad place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol17 April 2018
Bad place to work. I worked in Cabot circus one and it was okay. Got you to do everything in sight when they didn’t do anything. Security is so bad as I had my birthday money nicked out my purse which the manager then told me it was my fault.
Pros
New people
Cons
No security
Made some friends but did not like working there
River island- sales advisor temp (Former Employee) –  Chester13 April 2018
I found that River Island didn't care for their employees as much as they should. And the employees were not respected by some senior staff. I found that if some new staff made a mistake this would not be taken lightly by the senior employees.
Fast paced
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 April 2018
Here I mainly worked in the fitting rooms so it was a lot of customer communication. I learned how to approach customers and how to clean the rejects. The management was not the best and the working rota was always out very last minute leaving it hard to build a social life around it. As well as this they were not very lenient when it came to holidays. It did become a difficult job when the store was busy and you may be alone but other than that it wasn't too bad.
Pros
discount
Good environment to work in!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire10 April 2018
I loved working in this store. I was only 16 when i worked here and this was my first job. everyone was so welcoming and hard working and i learnt a lot of skills working here. the training was good and i was trained on all departments of this store. highly recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
good atmosphere, good training, friendly staff members
Cons
low pay as its retail
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire10 April 2018
good place to start off, maybe part time or during education.i enjoyed it for the most part, hourly rate isnt the best, but people there are nice and amanagers are helpful.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
hard work
warehouse
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln9 April 2018
No reference given, the discount is capped and totally unfair. Management are grumpy and it is sales driven target aimed slavery. RI should not be open boxing day.
Not great
Ladies Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands8 April 2018
I left another high street brand to work at Riverisland as a Ladies product Manager. The whole company is very demanding and there are far too many roles within one store. A lot of management issues resulted from too many roles. I was personally in a store with a team of a older generation that weren't open to new ideas despite the company wanting these ideas to be used. I felt like I lost all my merchandising knowledge as the ladies product manager is in no way a merchandising role unless no one else can do the job basically. A lot of bad hours such as working till 1am and back in for 7am. really would not recommend anyone to work for them as sales or management.
Pros
great discount
Cons
bad management
Busy environment but enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland7 April 2018
Great place to work. Great benefits and you're always learning and doing things every shift. Get to pick your uniform and keep the clothes as well. Great environment.
Horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport3 April 2018
Management awful, cliche pay always messed up all the time! Annual leave never correct
Management don’t back you up
Phones never answered
Poor training
No progression
Stay clear
Your just a body to use and abuse
Pros
Uniform
Cons
They tax you on it
Fun place to work.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent2 April 2018
A typical day at work for me would be arriving and starting to process the delivery straight away. once that has been started or finished i would start to transport the clothing we have has delivered until it was all finished. My management team were lovely, easy to talk to and very good at their jobs.
Pros
Staff Discount and Uniform Allowance.
Cons
Only Lunch Breaks
River Island
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London31 March 2018
The hours I worked in river island, were very long and tiring. But I did learn a lot from the month I was working there for. I learned communication skills and teamwork skills. I didn't really speak to the management team much but they were nice to me. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the mess customers would make and dealing with the disrespectful ones. But the most enjoyable part of the job was definitely making some of the friends I had on the team, everyone was so nice to talk to. I felt as if it was like one big family.
Pros
Discounts
Horrible
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset22 March 2018
Horrible attitude from management who nbever supported on the floor. Females treated a lot better then the boys. Bully culture in here. Long and unreasonable shifts
fun
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  peterborough22 March 2018
everyone is so lovely and easy to get on with. there are many jobs to do throughout the shift which keep you going. the benifits of being a staff member are exeptional
Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 March 2018
Working at River Island is a fun and enjoyable way to develop people skills, how to approach the public and also work part of a team efficiently.
As well as gaining skills you have fun working with the team as everyone is great to work alongside.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Last minute extra shifts
Bad Management and slow if none progression
Level 2 Operations (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire21 March 2018
Typical day can just consist of most likely something mind numbing or dealing with rude customers due to most of the staff having little management as either because of cuts or so much pressure on management that they have lost interest in care of staff.

Not many skills learnt in my time, learn about ATV's UPT etc but no one ever showed progression in these fields. How to run sales and be affiant in the running of a warehouse.

Some management would be dedicated to the job and give you attention but most just were not too interested and were mainly rude due to the pressure on themselves.
Any issues or problems do get quickly resolved but unlike holidays getting check and approved you could be waiting months. The same goes your rota too.

More time spent investing in staff and boost morale within teams we as it leaves most people the opposite feeling. The more you invest in your staff the most lily they are to be loyal with the company and want to progress.
Pros
40% Discount
Cons
Rota work that always changes, lack or personal touch.
Boring and Stressful
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  White City, Greater London19 March 2018
River Island can be a very stressful job. I am currently working in the stockroom and constantly receive back problems, due to the work intensity. I also feel as those working in the stockroom do not receive the credit they deserve.
poor management
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe18 March 2018
River island was a good place to work apart from the staff in thr high Wycombe store and management. The job is not hard but also the pay isn't great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.