River Island Employee Reviews

Poor
Sales Assistant (XMAS TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Biggleswade18 June 2018
Would never work there again, horrible managers and no understanding at all.Bad management and team work, bad salary and no benefits apart from a small amount to use on clothes
Stessful enviroment with no recognition or reward
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London13 June 2018
daily overloaded with tasks in order for managers to meet targets.
catty and almost school like attitude from store manager.
terrible pay package.
made some lifelong friends
Pros
1hr break
Cons
awful managers
amazing
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 June 2018
loved every minute working with River Island, i developed a myriad of skills and i learnt how to maintain store standards and approach customers giving them a warm welcome and with such long hour shift I obtained how to look after customers and know all new fashion trends. I enjoyed every part of the job ifelt passionate working within this industry.
Pros
amazing people
A busy working environment
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall13 June 2018
it can be very draining at times but if you have a true passion for people it's an alright job but not for the long term. The job tends to turn happy people to people pretending to be happy.
Pros
40% discount.
Cons
very emotionally draining.
No empathy or consideration for workers
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Metrocentre, Tyne and Wear9 June 2018
I worked a temporary position, when it was finished I was not informed of their choice not to keep me on. After my last shift I was simply taken off the rota and removed from the facebook group.

Some mangers were kind and good to work with whereas others made me dread going in for a shift.
Pros
Uniform allowance
Cons
Lack of compassion
good
Delivery Operative (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff7 June 2018
okay place to work. can be mountainous, with repetition of task throughout the shift.
learned how to work at a fast pace n a flagship store.
culture is very fashion driven and looks matter in the job, sell the clothing as much as we can to customers.
hardest part is the repetition of the job.
best part is working for a team and having a good laugh altogether working.
Fun to work in
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne7 June 2018
This was a temp job as i was studying at college at the time so i was only a weekend worker.
Great place to work and a good staff moral.
Gained alot of experience from here.
Hard Work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire6 June 2018
A typical day at work would be working hard and long hours and getting stupid orders from inexperienced managers. The wage did not sometimes reflect the work, especially if your job was to work on delivery for six hours in the middle of summer with no fan to stay cool.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Low limit on the discount
Temporary contract
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham5 June 2018
Give very basic training about manual handling, was trained how to use the stock checking equipment had to figure it out or ask standard members of staff for help, lucky was only there a month
Pros
Cons
Whole thing
the workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London East, Greater London5 June 2018
The managers are very helpful. When giving a task they make sure you completely understand the task and stay close to you just in case you need to ask for help. I've recently learned how to do transfer Which is transferring products from one store to another. The task was explained and gave a demonstration, which was helpful. With the help given, I was able to do the task with no extra assistance.
Pros
straight forward
Cons
can be tedious
Fun
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill5 June 2018
it has very good security but the workplace the team am not very nice, not very helpful at all, and equipment you have to clean with is dirty. i wouldn't work there again
good if you don't really care
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge4 June 2018
not an awful place too work but very shallow environment. would suit someone more into fashion that I am. fairly decent hours for retail. fun in the stockroom
Pros
generous discount and uniform scheme
Cons
very low pay
Good working environment
customer assitant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth3 June 2018
Riveer Island offers an opportunity to enter the fashion industry and develop your understanding of the latest trends. In addition, River provides a nice working environment, ensuring that the technology used is up to date and easy to use.
Awful - modern day slavery
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 June 2018
No appreciation from the management, your shifts are changed whenever the managers feel like it. Managers treat you like dirt. No progression. understaffed and over worked. Management are incompetent. Discrimination is apparent.
Manager
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds30 May 2018
Alongside my studies at University, I have also taken inspiration from my involvement of work experiences, whilst working at River Island as a cashier and sales assistant. This employment has helped me develop several skills in working with figures and the ability to accurately handle, organise and analyse information. From this experience, I am more intrigued to learn about finance and accountancy. With my experience I have learnt skills such as profit production due to selling and also financial ethics.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol30 May 2018
Fun place to work, managers were amazing and were always there for when people needed support, money wasn't the best but for students etc it is the perfect job
The Workplace feels like a family
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset22 May 2018
All employees have a close bond and it is a lovely family to be a part of. Everyone treats each other with respect, which is very nice in the work place. There are times when it can be hard to get along with everyone but this is rare in River Island. Salary is average and decent, however i feel there is not a large amount of room to advance in personal improvement within retail.
Pros
Family-like employees
Cons
Retail can be boring
good place to work
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Bath22 May 2018
good benefits and really good pay for retail, just get boring as it's the same thing everyday. Christmas time is crazy busy and they aren't very good with allowing holiday at certain periods of time.
Pros
good discount and pay
Cons
long hours, boring, holiday is rubbish
Love love love
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire20 May 2018
I worked at river island for a month or 2 but i guess it has its benefits. I mean free uniform after 2 consecutive shift? YEAAHHH!!! Uniform=amazing clothing from the store and its your choice. I loved working here. Safe to say its the best store ive worked for. Amazing team and amazing benefits.
Pros
Amazing Team, Benefits
Do not work here.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire17 May 2018
What a disastrous place. unorganised, demoralising, poorly managed. You are worked like a slave for little money. Hated, hated, hated every minute and couldn't wait to get out the door fast enough. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Not one thing...
Cons
Management, Area management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.