River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,433 reviews
Found 1,433 reviews matching the search
Very clicky and if you’re not part of it the managers look down on you, the managers were not nice towards me and one spoke to me in a stock room with no other pkeoke in a awful manner, but nothing could be done due to no other witnesses. all i can say is “bullies”
Pros
discount
Cons
as above
River island is a very thoughtful employer as they always put customers and employees before themselves especially in terms of health and safety precautions. As well as this they always want you to enjoy your time there and make you feel comfortable so you can enjoy work. They also have people from different cultural background making the work place very diverse.
Pros
Very relaxed but any work given is always complete
On Typical day would either be in the office or in site problem solving and checking progress on project . The Journey to site were usually quite long and tiresome but i did not mind .
Most enjoyable part of job was handing over completed project to the Retail team to begin the opening procedure.

Hardest part part of project was the constant damage the Retail and VM part of team did before the opening when merchandising the store and have to get the repairs done by our loyal shop fitters .

High management was hard work at times and struggled with delegation so middle management ie Project Management had to use their own discretion / Initiative. Because the department was small sometimes these things are inevitable . It was a struggle at times though

What i learned from my time at River Island is that most of the time you were on your own . Higher Management seemed to disappear when problems occurred , Support network poor at River Island where this was totally the opposite at Safeway where there was a family atmosphere.
Pros
Only pro was the discount card but i had very little use for this other than once in a while
Cons
Long hours and restrictions on expenses sometimes for longer Journeys
Great company if you seek progression through retail, however quite often tasks get given at inappropriate times. Reduction in sales team makes stores hard to manage if they only have a small team.
The people that work here have a lot of respect for each other: they are welcoming, diverse and trust you to do the job you are there to do. Unlike many corporate organisations, RI wasn't plagued by multiple layers of middle management who would spend the majority of their time (and yours) checking up on you. Here, you are expected to get on with it and how you choose to do that is largely up to you and the team you work in. Sure, there are deadlines and targets, but there never seemed to be any panic and stress over them. We always hit them and we did so with the cool, calm and collected way that made this place a pleasure to work at.
RI regularly hosted beer and pizza days, whether to celebrate a launch or welcome new people to the fold. Meet-ups would be staged there and there is a real sense that these guys want to explore the outer limits of agile ways of working and want to be at the forefront of digital thinking.
Pros
Diverse, friendly, comfortable office, respectful, not corporate
Cons
the pay is low compared to other businesses in the area.
a normal working day at river island is very busy and there is always lots of work to do, you will never find yourself stood around with nothing to do. i learned a lot of skills that I have been able to take to other jobs especially customer service and management skills. there were three managers that I worked with at this store and the floor managers were lovely and would do anything to help you, very friendly and close group of people. the hardest part of the job is SALE. when that time of years comes around its all hands on deck for everyone. the most enjoyable part is meeting new people and making friends for life
River Island was a good experience where I got to work with a lot of fun people. You are always kept on your toes and will always have something to keep you busy.
The job was very decent for the salary offered. Depending on the season can be more or less busy. That means the pressure may change but overall the role as an assistant is achievable.
Great job for someone still in school or a student. However, at times management was not great with lack of approachable manner and understanding. At times it could be stressful but at other times was slow-paced and relaxed.
competitive but enjoyable:

• Working in a fast-paced environment, taught me useful time-management I can take to any job role.

• The position enabled me to use my business abilities to assess numerical data

• Broadened my experience of working with internal and external stakeholders, working collaboratively to improve products and listening to the needs and demands of colleagues and clients.

• It improved my confidence to share ideas and knowledge with my peers, as well as being able to lead and participate in team activities

• Numeracy skills, as I would be expected to forecast sales and calculate margins.

• Great I.T skills including experience in Microsoft (word, excel and PowerPoint) used daily at the office.

• Team working skills.

• I was training new staff which were typically university graduates and years older than me, showing I can work well with everyone.
A fast-paced and challenging environment where every day is different, but a constant opportunity to learn and develop yourself. great to gain knowledge from a number of different career paths, retail, HR, Loss Prevention and Visual Merchandising.
Awful place to work in River island MK, Majority of management are bullies! (Although the odd nice ones) Grown adults picking on 16+ year olds and when brought to the attention of other management constantly dismissed and brushed under the rug even with lots of evidence, very unhealthy environment. dead end job, barely any skills required, do nothing all day long. Management stuck up like they own River Island. Some need to remeber they work in a retail store... enough said
very passive aggressive management in the IT department. very much blame culture, treating employees with disrespect as they did in India... and this is an Indian writing this.
Pros
friendly collegues
Cons
weak hr department
I enjoyed my time at River Island. It was a fun and on the whole friendly place to be. I was under the age of 18 when working there so my wage was something around £5.20 an hour, for me I didn't feel this was enough.
Las instalaciones, servicios y normas eran positivas aunque podrían mejorar en cuanto al personal, la limpieza y la gestión ambiental.
It’s okay could do better honestly managers ain’t great they don’t care need to stop talking about staff members it’s not good people are okay ............
The company grew in leaps and bounds since I was there. The work culture made it easy for me to wanting to go to work each day.

I would gladly go back there if there is an opportunity to.
Good company to work for, Friendly and some good teams to help you through what ever you are looking to do in the future. A lot to learn about the market but great leadership always shown.
I had a pleasure working for River Island. The atmosphere of the store was enjoyable and my time working there was a very positive experience. I would recommend working for this company.
Really enjoyed. Got to merchandise and experience in each area of the store; delivery, stockroom, shop floor and also tills. My manager was fantastic.
Big company so room for progression however I did feel there are a lot of people there just collecting their pay (and have done for 15+ years) it was extremely hard simply to talk to them and for the management to not come up against it! Their way was always the best. I didn’t agree.
River Island as a company are terrible, the only reason I stayed for 4 years was because I met some amazing people while working there and I was going college so it suited my time table.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.