River Island Employee Reviews

Not too bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran16 August 2018
It was a long time ago but it was OK. Only a temp job and plenty of hours then. Didn't get kept on but it was no big deal. Managed fairly well but they could have been nicer.
Its in Hanger lane!
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  head office13 August 2018
If you like Hanger Lane, interested in cheap fashion and you live in the suburbs of west london then this is the job for you - otherwise you have hours of travel on the Central Line.

Young teams - very old family management, a strange combination. You either love it or hate it and they either love you or you are out!

Its like big brother meets love island everyday... with a bit of Ozzy Osbourne thrown in every now and then.
Pros
young inexperienced energetic teams running around
Cons
very old management - been there too long - stuck in their ways
Good job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire11 August 2018
Only worked here as a christmas temp but it is a fast paced environment, and you are worked hard. But it is a great place to work for anyone interested in fashion
Awful
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham9 August 2018
Worst place to work to ever! They want everything out of you for nothing. Managers are awful and i’d reccommend anyone to stay away from the horrid place
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London9 August 2018
Managers are unpleasant and mean, pay is embarrassing minimum wage has gone up and they pay under 18s £4 something and 18 and over £6.50. A typical day in river island is boring you do replenishment, stand around keep a look out in the fitting rooms and if you're needed on tills then you go on tills but it's a slow working environment.
Pros
Uniform allowence of £60
productive
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 August 2018
I really enjoyed working here it was fun and everyday I had a challenge that helped me improve. The staffs and management are really nice and if I could I would go back and work there again.
Part-Time Job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North East4 August 2018
I have worked at River Island, part-time for almost 4 years whilst completing my A-levels and degree at university. It's a great job to have as I am only contracted 8 hours per week which was fine when I had a lot of studying/exams to do but can also request extra shifts when I was not as busy (in the holidays).
Brilliant place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire31 July 2018
A welcoming environment and a great place to work. Great training is given and a variety of future opportunities offered. I learnt a lot at River Island due to the patience of the management team. Really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Welcoming management team
Cons
n/a
ok job.
River Island Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands30 July 2018
Ok job, management can be temperamental and often can be spoken down to. workplace culture was very friendly and all staff were nice to work with. overall ok
Fun workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus Station29 July 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help other people. A typical day at work is serving customers and helping them out when needed. The managers are very helpful and nice.
Fun Workplace
Sales Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Grimsby25 July 2018
On a typical day at work (i.e a Saturday) I will have a team briefing with one of the managers giving us our targets to meet for that day. I will then be told where in the shop I will be working on today, for example, the cash desk or on the fitting rooms. We, as a team always keep in mind the customer experience from the moment they enter the shop to the moment they leave and this is plays an important part to gaining customer loyalty.
The management are great, they are open to help you with any queries or concerns you may have.
Pros
Discount on shop items.
productive and fun place to work
sales advisor christmas temp (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 July 2018
Fun interview process, kind employees and managers. I didn't get a break as my shift was only 4 hrs and a half so its understandable. Enjoyed working and would recommend others to apply for any positions they have available at the moment.
Pros
60% staff discount
Cons
none really
Nice, friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire23 July 2018
River Island is a great place to work with many benefits, it has nice, friendly staff/management who take care of you very well. The work hours are good as its a contracted set days/hours job.
busy
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Midlands22 July 2018
River Island can be enjoyable when working as a good team. Management can be very poor and priorities change when it suits them and despite employers having a set job role, you will be placed where needed. Everyone who works there are generally nice to work with and people bond very quickly which makes it a better place to work. There is never enough staff in. There are no staff meetings to discuss any current issues and to make improvements, therefore it can get stressful when things need to be addressed. The best part of the job is 40% discount.
Pros
discount
not great
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford16 July 2018
not a great environment to work with.

staff disocunt is 40% but it is limited. So the discount can be used up very quickly. Managers have to authorise discount so this can be complicated if you just want to buy something you like and go.

Poorly paid
Productive and fun
Retail Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 July 2018
Working at River Island was very enjoyable. The staff and management were very helpful and easy to get on with. The company was also a delight to work for.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Busy
Average Company to Work For
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire12 July 2018
A typical day at work is mainly keeping clothing standards high as well as prioritising customer service. The job can become tedious at times and frustrating as there's hardly any opportunity to progress further in the business.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Short Hours
Enjoyable
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Trinity12 July 2018
River Island was a fun place to work. Management was always committed to working hard just as much as its employers which was good to see. Discount on clothes was very good.The hardest part of the job was dealing with awkward customers, but management made the process easier
Pros
Good discount.
lovely working environment
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol10 July 2018
this role had me working within the warehouse and shop floor. Helping customers with queries and keeping the store tidy. everyone was really friendly and wanted to help with any problems I faced.
Pros
time flies, meaning that it is fun
Cons
hard to know what to do when you've finished a task
great people to work with, over worked at times
Facilities Assistant - Head Office (Former Employee) –  Hanger Lane Station9 July 2018
day to day covering various areas within the department.

you do learn some processes to begin with but everything is just a repeat after that.

not the the best management to have in an head office environment.

work place culture is great outside of the department.

hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the physical work load at times.

best part of the job would be interacting with various other departments.
Pros
staff discounts, working with great people
Cons
physical demand at times, poor department management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.