Rethink Mental Illness Management reviews

Great place to work.
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire27 October 2019
Varied work with a close team who support each other, ongoing training and support always available. Supportive management who respect your experience and knowledge
Terrible
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Heanor, Derbyshire24 October 2019
Management are awful. They have no clue about mental health issues. Manager rude and dismissive. Deputy doesn't even want to speak to other professionals. Speak to staff inappropriately. The staff who aren't management are friendly. Night staff have been known to sleep, when its should be waking nights.
All talk, no action
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 October 2019
Management lazy and not bothered about Birmingham even though it is the second largest city in UK. Over the past 10 years or so Rethink have closed a lot of services. They can't blame funding as other charities and organisations have managed to keep some of their current services running and even get funding for new services in Birmingham.
The Charity has noble aims but its business model is out of date.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2019
RMIs front line and delivery teams are good. However the management are remote, trigger happy when it comes to reorganisation and seem to be undecided about the direction of the business. RMI are losing market share to competitors and seemingly have no real handle on why that is.

It hurts to say it but avoid this organisation
Gone downhill
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire27 July 2019
My first few years were brilliant, but the last few years were horrendous, top heavy with management, restructure after restructure, terrible pay for what you put up with mainly may I add from management, no way to work your way up the ladder. Starting at 8am in the morning and not finishing until 9pm or later. Terrible
Corporate not compassionate
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  South West21 May 2019
No support or recognition for working over and beyond contracted hours to ensure safe service delivery.
A team which lacked incentive and fragmented into separate camps.
work place politics clouded judgement with middle management
who paid lip service to their employees opinion but towed the party line.
In my time with Rethink I witnessed several excellent people leave the organization due to being either blocked or dismissed by management.
The reality of working within Rethinks systems is a different experience then the literature would have you believe .
The positives were my team and the service users.
The negatives were lack of recognition by management no incentives
Minimal support chaotic management and constantly moving/changing outcomes. No infrastructure to support staff and no sense of cohesion. Little opportunity to progress and a feeling that you were just a minion led to my resignation.
Those that stay with Rethink and think like corporate Rethink progress others leave.
Pros
Service users a compassionate and caring team
Cons
Chaotic upper management
Not a nice company!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire15 January 2019
Huge responsibility. Severe staff shortages. Training poor and inadequate. No respect & bullying tactics used by the company. Made to feel dispensable. Lots of restructures. Very much about financial gain, getting people in through the door and out again so that numbers look good.
Pros
Supporting wonderful people
Cons
Negative company and made to feel unworthy
Unfortunately an unpleasant workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 September 2018
Many staff are dedicated and care about the issues. However, many also have no idea about mental illness.

Many problems with bullying.

Managerial structure is a nightmare.

High staff turnover.

Worse wages and benefits compared to equivalent charity jobs.

Frightening lack of training, support, anything really.

Terrible IT.

Disheartening workplace culture.

Talented colleagues often overworked, underpaid and underappreciated.

Nice views at the head office.
Overwhelmingly awful
Senior Worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire27 August 2018
I've worked in health and social care for 10 years and Rethink by far has been the worst place i've ever worked.. they will do whatever they can to cover up and hide problems - no transparency what so ever here.

The 'management' here is disgusting (and if I was the CEO I certainly wouldn't brag!) It really does need a fresh CEO (and one who isn't afraid of 'positive risk taking').

On another note I have no idea what 'outcomes' they are feeding the commissioners because I saw no improvements or benefits what so ever from the 'service' they claim to provide, but it's definitely a load of rubbish whatever they're feeding commissioners. This organisation is a disgrace in my opinion..

They also attract poor in-experienced staff right from top to bottom resulting in an absolute chaotic mess!

The training is AWFUL - you will spend 1 day learning about mental illnesses i.e. what Schizophrenia actually IS (the definition) but you will be taught/trained/guided with nothing on how to actually SUPPORT these individuals and HOW best to manage their illness/symptoms or recover. Key-working is literally as far as input goes by way of support, which is terrible for a charity who claims to support people's mental wellbeing!!???

So needless to say 'recovery' is virtually impossible and doesn't ever happen.

Despite all their much bragged about research online into what people actually need they deliver none of it... where's all this so-called intervention i.e. occupational therapy/psychological input etc you talk about? And by the way, knock knock it's 2018!

In my opinion
  more... Rethink are a dishonest 'charity' scrounging to line their own back pockets! I find them insulting, careless and greedy with no interest in providing good care and support.

Wouldn't go back - even if they tripled my salary!
Badly run
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire5 June 2018
Unsupported at last place I worked. Incompetent manager and proved right as she was asked to leave. I liked most of the staff apart from one who was taken on as she was very friendly with the managers.
Incompetent charity
Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire20 May 2018
This is a very corrupt charity.
I am aware of a few greviances that have been raised and higher management cover these up.
You are unable to trust any mangament.
In the last 12 months 6 managers have been got rid of suddenly, no explanation to the clients, which should be the most important thing.
Wiltshire Rethink especially has gone down here, the services have bad reputations with professionals and their cqc ratings all become bad.
This is an organisation to stay away from as does not look after employee wellbeing.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management and culture of charity
Registered Manager (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire24 April 2018
Poor Organisation
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Exeter14 January 2018
Poor Organisation with poor considerations to procedure, policies, legislation and training. Although this is likely service specific, whilst working with this service they were investigated leading to the closure of a number of services due to not meeting necessary requirements. A number of colleagues working here felt unprepared, unsupported, and bullied by management and other colleagues. I am hopeful that other services nationally are not this way inclined, but for my experience this was very accurate.
Ok
Community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire3 January 2018
It's a long time since I worked here so difficult to say how things are now.
It was ok when I was there, management not great but probably all changed now.
Great Caring Team of People
Assistant Mental Health Recovery Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire, UK30 May 2017
A great place to work and rewarding role. Excellent Organisation with top of the range training and CPD. Supportive Management and lovely team members who strive to meet the best outcomes for service users.
Pros
Training
Cons
Shift patterns
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Swindon3 January 2017
Never again
Registered Manager (Former Employee) –  London3 November 2016
Worst place to work ever! Paid below average to have a mountain of work dumped on you to try and 'turnaround' failing services with no support. Senior managers ask you to solve the problem but reject all of the suggestions given. Restructured twice in 12 months. Made people redundant for failing a competency test but 18 months later those jobs are still vacant, making a bad situation worse.
Pros
generous sick pay, which you will need!
Cons
Everything else
Very poor management and culture
Advocacy (Former Employee) –  South West29 October 2016
Outmoded central management with standards that look good on paper but undeliverabke in practice. Blind adherence to central core systems which are inflexible drivers impeding delivery of service in practicem: watch out all Commissioners, you are being sold a dummy.
That said, there are some really good hard working people who are 'stuck'in the system and genuinely deserve better.
Pros
Some very good people
Cons
Management and culture
Awful place to work
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon30 July 2016
High turnover of staff. No support from management team, who constantly blame front line staff for clear leadership failings. CQC special measures for one of the homes. Risk not managed well, putting front line staff at risk. No supervision. No induction. Training is awful. Pay is below industry average. Arrogant managers, with a 'like it or here's the door' bullying attitude. If this sounds like the place for you, go for it. Other services may be different, would recommend avoiding Swindon.
Pros
Some nice service users
Cons
Terrible organisation
Lack of support
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon14 July 2016
We have a chronic lack of staff, due to a high turnover. HR take around 3 months to process the paperwork. If you pull through that you've got no induction (there is a checklist but this is left to the Assistant support workers to induct new members). We leave this place because there is NO support.

Towards the end of my time here I used to go to work feeling scared and unsafe. I emailed my managers and higher up every time an incident with a service user occurred saying "I dread coming to work" and "I feel sick when I am lone working". With no reply, follow up or supervision. I took two months off sick.

Rethink head office seems full of blissfully unaware people who haven't taken into account institutionalisation, which is an unfortunate curse of the mental health industry. Rethink mental illness is a self help group that has gotten out of hand.

Social recovery heavy, no psychologist input or any biological considerations (despite their own research suggesting the comorbidity between chronic and mental illness). Management refuse to listen to suggestions, furthering the horrid feeling of under support.
Pros
Generous sick leave, which you'll need because you will get burnout or chronic stress working here
Cons
No career development. No job security. Fear for your safety without the monetary benefit.