Rethink Mental Illness Employee Reviews

Not a nice company!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire15 January 2019
Huge responsibility. Severe staff shortages. Training poor and inadequate. No respect & bullying tactics used by the company. Made to feel dispensable. Lots of restructures. Very much about financial gain, getting people in through the door and out again so that numbers look good.
Pros
Supporting wonderful people
Cons
Negative company and made to feel unworthy
Excellent organisation to work for
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  West Midlands4 October 2018
I have worked at Rethink Mental Illness for 15 years in various roles and have been fully supported and encouraged to develop. An excellent employer with a great team!!
Unfortunately an unpleasant workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 September 2018
Many staff are dedicated and care about the issues. However, many also have no idea about mental illness.

Many problems with bullying.

Managerial structure is a nightmare.

High staff turnover.

Worse wages and benefits compared to equivalent charity jobs.

Frightening lack of training, support, anything really.

Terrible IT.

Disheartening workplace culture.

Talented colleagues often overworked, underpaid and underappreciated.

Nice views at the head office.
Amazing job role - Average organisation
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire28 August 2018
The actual job role (I was mental health recovery worker) is amazing. This is about as front line as it gets in mental health work & if you’re born afraid of a bit of hard work, genuinely want to help others and don’t mind working with those with severe mental illness and those who are in crisis point, then it is amazing. The work you can do & the change you can help inspire in other people’s lives is brilliant and so rewarding.

However, this is unfortunately hindered by the organisation. I experienced the organisation to be quite “Cliqhey’ - if you did not get on with certain staff or agree with their style of working then you where in trouble. Managers have Definetly got favourites who have their ear and you either do what they say or you’re in trouble. There’s Definetly a gap between the front line staff and service managers, AD’s and upwards.

Rethink as a wider organisation seem brilliant - time to change is fab, great website, great information. Rethink however need to practice what they preach with
Regards to well-being at work - staff members with lived experience of mental health are encouraged to work at ReThink but I found that it isn’t supported well. The administrative side of this is done (Wrap plans
Etc...) so boxes are ticked but there seems little understanding on day to day issues for staff members with mental health & this is a real shame.

Pay is also quite poor compared to what work you do.
Pros
Very rewarding job role
Cons
Low pay, lack of support from managers
Overwhelmingly awful
Senior Worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire27 August 2018
I've worked in health and social care for 10 years and Rethink by far has been the worst place i've ever worked.. they will do whatever they can to cover up and hide problems - no transparency what so ever here.

The 'management' here is disgusting (and if I was the CEO I certainly wouldn't brag!) It really does need a fresh CEO (and one who isn't afraid of 'positive risk taking').

On another note I have no idea what 'outcomes' they are feeding the commissioners because I saw no improvements or benefits what so ever from the 'service' they claim to provide, but it's definitely a load of rubbish whatever they're feeding commissioners. This organisation is a disgrace in my opinion..

They also attract poor in-experienced staff right from top to bottom resulting in an absolute chaotic mess!

The training is AWFUL - you will spend 1 day learning about mental illnesses i.e. what Schizophrenia actually IS (the definition) but you will be taught/trained/guided with nothing on how to actually SUPPORT these individuals and HOW best to manage their illness/symptoms or recover. Key-working is literally as far as input goes by way of support, which is terrible for a charity who claims to support people's mental wellbeing!!???

So needless to say 'recovery' is virtually impossible and doesn't ever happen.

Despite all their much bragged about research online into what people actually need they deliver none of it... where's all this so-called intervention i.e. occupational therapy/psychological input etc you talk about? And by the way, knock knock it's 2018!

In my opinion
  more... Rethink are a dishonest 'charity' scrounging to line their own back pockets! I find them insulting, careless and greedy with no interest in providing good care and support.

Wouldn't go back - even if they tripled my salary!
Well supported by management, always had regular supervision, always left to get on with your caseload, regular training.
Senior mental health recovery worker (Former Employee) –  West and North Dorset14 August 2018
Out and about driving to clients and supporting them, regular contact with CMHTS about the people we supported, regular training helped me keep up to date with how things were changing within mental health, completion of paperwork on a regular basis. Hardest part was the driving when the weather wasn't very nice. The most enjoyable part was watching the people you support achieve the goals that they had identified.
Badly run
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire5 June 2018
Unsupported at last place I worked. Incompetent manager and proved right as she was asked to leave. I liked most of the staff apart from one who was taken on as she was very friendly with the managers.
Good
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire2 June 2018
Ideas and heart is in the right place but it is difficult to put into practice with little guidance as the job is a demanding role.
Staff were friendly
Pros
Helping others, free parking
Cons
Unsociable hours
Incompetent charity
Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire20 May 2018
This is a very corrupt charity.
I am aware of a few greviances that have been raised and higher management cover these up.
You are unable to trust any mangament.
In the last 12 months 6 managers have been got rid of suddenly, no explanation to the clients, which should be the most important thing.
Wiltshire Rethink especially has gone down here, the services have bad reputations with professionals and their cqc ratings all become bad.
This is an organisation to stay away from as does not look after employee wellbeing.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management and culture of charity
Registered Manager (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire24 April 2018
Poor Organisation
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Former Employee) –  Exeter14 January 2018
Poor Organisation with poor considerations to procedure, policies, legislation and training. Although this is likely service specific, whilst working with this service they were investigated leading to the closure of a number of services due to not meeting necessary requirements. A number of colleagues working here felt unprepared, unsupported, and bullied by management and other colleagues. I am hopeful that other services nationally are not this way inclined, but for my experience this was very accurate.
Ok
Community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire3 January 2018
It's a long time since I worked here so difficult to say how things are now.
It was ok when I was there, management not great but probably all changed now.
challenge
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Current Employee) –  rednal birmingham3 November 2017
very rewarding and very challenging at times
supporting residents on a daily basis to continue with daily living with support from you when they reqiure the need
helping them achieve their goals
escorting them where they want to go if family cannot and seeing them happy
Pros
seeing people you support happy
Good ideas about change
Head of Operations (Former Employee) –  National10 September 2017
Big ideas about change but slow moving within this.
Great services in some areas
What it stands for is great and you really are apart of something big
Passionate and committed team
Associate Director Marketing and Communications (Current Employee) –  vauxhall, london, Greater London30 May 2017
The teams at Rethink Mental Illness are dedicated and passionate about what they do, and single-minded in their goal to improve life for people who are seriously affected by mental illness. It is a busy working environment, and ambition always outstrips capacity, but the team culture is very positive, supportive and creative. There is a very positive recruitment policy for people with lived experience of mental illness. The hardest part of the job is saying 'no'!
Pros
dedicated, passionate team and a hugely relevant issue
Great Caring Team of People
Assistant Mental Health Recovery Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire, UK30 May 2017
A great place to work and rewarding role. Excellent Organisation with top of the range training and CPD. Supportive Management and lovely team members who strive to meet the best outcomes for service users.
Pros
Training
Cons
Shift patterns
Awesome
Mental Health Promotion and Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Essex22 May 2017
Such a great company. Excellent manage dent and team work. Was able to manage my own diary and given much flexibility. Great continuous learning about mental health.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
weekend work
Friendly workplace
Senior Projects Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands29 April 2017
Rethink is a good company to work for but at present there is no room for progression. I originally worked in the finance department and moved over to ICT department for more experience but would now like to progress back in Finance.
Cons
No progression opportunities
Fantastic service user support
Nurse Team Leader (Former Employee) –  East Midlands7 April 2017
Provide a variety of services, both residential and Day services, for people with severe and enduring mental health problems and support them to recover
Pros
Patient care
Cons
Career progression minimal
Nice workplace but no career prospects
Senior Psychological practitioner and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northumberland13 January 2017
I deliver CBT interventions and supervise, train and mange staff.
I am the Primary Care IAPT lead.
I am currently studying an MBA (distance learning) alongside my role. I have learned how to be diplomatic and manage other's effectively.
The hardest part of the job is working in a pressurised environment with a challenging client group with complex mental health difficulties.
The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling like I am making a different for clients and my staff.