Rethink Mental Illness Management reviews

Featured review
Rethink Mental Illness selected this as a representative review
Change for the better is evident
In the course of a year here at Rethink there has been a massive amount of change within our team, which has sometimes made it hard to see or feel change and direction. I am happy to say that this is now improving ten fold and the sense of motivation, commitment and just passion to get change happening and make Rethink Mental Illness a great place to work is visible every single day!!
7 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback about your time here at Rethink. All feedback we receive is used to help us improve what we do, so we really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us.

Rethink Mental Illness
Professional, recovery focussed, dynamic and enjoyable.
Wow! I have learned so much in such a short time about mental health and how to empower others recovery! The staff team are really great at what they do and well supported by the management team. There is a comprehensive induction and lots of further training and development opportunities for people.
Through support and supervision Recovery Workers are encouraged to be creative in our approaches when identifying solutions with people engaged in the service, this allows us to develop truly person centred care packages involving peoples own likes, hobbies and aspirations.

As with all shifts in this sector, the shifts can be long and demanding but rewarding!

I really feel that I am getting the support and training to further my own development and career opportunities.
Pros
Excellent training and development
Cons
Long shifts
Well Supported&Productive
Great place to work,excellent communication cold were all very supportive & great backup from Local Management.
However HR Department was inept.Good prospects,everyone had a good opportunity to discuss case loads& I was always listened to & everyone was treated equally.We were encouraged to help each other & help both in the office & in the field,so that we could always get help either from a colleague of Manager.Everyone was very approachable & you could rely on their support &if need discretion.
26 February 2020
Thank you for your positive words about your time here at Rethink. All feedback we receive is used to help us continue to improve what we do. If there is anything you feel could be improved we could encourage you to complete your exit interview if you haven't done so already. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us.

World’s Worst Job
If I could have given 0 stars I would have. Worked as support staff for years and was treated like dirt on the bottom of management’s shoes. Found out they were hiring their friends and paying them much higher rates. HR did nothing. Only plus was my fellow support workers but management slowly but surely pushed us all out. If you value your mental health DO NOT work here.
7 February 2020
We’re sorry to hear about your experiences with us at Rethink Mental Illness. We would encourage you if you haven’t already, to complete an exit interview or contact our HR team so that we can gather any feedback and address any concerns and issues. We do get lots of positive feedback from our leavers too, and all the feedback we receive helps us to improve what we do.

If you would be happy to talk to us please do get in touch with our HR team on 0121 522 7111.

If your face fits
I worked at Rethink for many years in various roles. It was good for the 1st few years but then management staryed to slowly change and long standing work colleagues left due to the harsh treatment by management. Others were forced out due to having mental health problems themselves. Several members of staff were sacked as they had become obstacles for the management as they didn't agree with the way the charity was operating and becoming unsafe for the staff and service users.
28 January 2020
We’re sorry to hear about your experiences here at Rethink Mental Illness. We would encourage you if you haven’t already, to complete an exit interview or contact our HR team so that we can gather any feedback and address any concerns and issues. We do get lots of positive feedback from our leavers too, and all feedback we receive is used to help us improve what we do.

Management!!
Place is lovely however if you are not friends with managers then you will be pushed Out! Claim you are not qualified enough and Use your own mental health to bully you out of the job. Managers get you to do there jobs for them and are lazy.
28 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback, we’re sorry to hear about your experiences here at Rethink Mental Illness. We would encourage you if you haven’t already, to complete an exit interview so that we can gather any feedback and address any concerns and issues. We do get lots of positive feedback from our leavers too, and all feedback we receive is used to help us improve what we do.

Rethink Mental Illness
Terrible culture, from top down.
The organisation was dysfunctional and focused on internal management relationships. Nepotism was rife. Poor client outcomes and out dated practice, more suited to the 1980s style of care. It felt Revenue based rather than outcome based. Full of hot air but no tangible outcomes. A provider of services rather that a campaigning charity. AVOID.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Bullying and nepotism
8 January 2020
We’re sorry to hear about your experiences here at Rethink, as you know we ask all leavers to complete an exit interview so that we can gather any feedback and address any concerns and issues. We would encourage you if you haven’t already, to complete the interview or contact our HR team to discuss further. We do get lots of positive feedback from our leavers too, and all feedback we receive is used to help us improve what we do.

Great place to work.
Varied work with a close team who support each other, ongoing training and support always available. Supportive management who respect your experience and knowledge
8 January 2020
Thank you for your positive words about your time here at Rethink. All feedback we receive is used to help us improve what we do, so we really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us.

Rethink Mental Illness
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rethink Mental Illness?
Terrible
Management are awful. They have no clue about mental health issues. Manager rude and dismissive. Deputy doesn't even want to speak to other professionals. Speak to staff inappropriately. The staff who aren't management are friendly. Night staff have been known to sleep, when its should be waking nights.
All talk, no action
Management lazy and not bothered about Birmingham even though it is the second largest city in UK. Over the past 10 years or so Rethink have closed a lot of services. They can't blame funding as other charities and organisations have managed to keep some of their current services running and even get funding for new services in Birmingham.
The Charity has noble aims but its business model is out of date.
RMIs front line and delivery teams are good. However the management are remote, trigger happy when it comes to reorganisation and seem to be undecided about the direction of the business. RMI are losing market share to competitors and seemingly have no real handle on why that is.

It hurts to say it but avoid this organisation
Gone downhill
My first few years were brilliant, but the last few years were horrendous, top heavy with management, restructure after restructure, terrible pay for what you put up with mainly may I add from management, no way to work your way up the ladder. Starting at 8am in the morning and not finishing until 9pm or later. Terrible
Good place to start if new to mental health
Useless inductions, long long dbs process. As I waited 2 months for dbs, I then found out the manager had not even sent it off. Night staff, go to sleep. When should be awake. Some staff had two jobs and used the waking night positions at night to sleep. Management have no interest in the staff, no job fulfillment but easy money if that's how you like to work. Took
Pros
Free meals
Cons
No advancement in positions
Corporate not compassionate
No support or recognition for working over and beyond contracted hours to ensure safe service delivery.
A team which lacked incentive and fragmented into separate camps.

work place politics clouded judgement with middle management
who paid lip service to their employees opinion but towed the party line.
In my time with Rethink I witnessed several excellent people leave the organization due to being either blocked or dismissed by management.

The reality of working within Rethinks systems is a different experience then the literature would have you believe .

The positives were my team and the service users.

The negatives were lack of recognition by management no incentives

Minimal support chaotic management and constantly moving/changing outcomes. No infrastructure to support staff and no sense of cohesion. Little opportunity to progress and a feeling that you were just a minion led to my resignation.

Those that stay with Rethink and think like corporate Rethink progress others leave.
Pros
Service users a compassionate and caring team
Cons
Chaotic upper management
Not a nice company!
Huge responsibility. Severe staff shortages. Training poor and inadequate. No respect & bullying tactics used by the company. Made to feel dispensable. Lots of restructures. Very much about financial gain, getting people in through the door and out again so that numbers look good.
Pros
Supporting wonderful people
Cons
Negative company and made to feel unworthy
Unfortunately an unpleasant workplace
Many staff are dedicated and care about the issues. However, many also have no idea about mental illness.

Many problems with bullying.

Managerial structure is a nightmare.

High staff turnover.

Worse wages and benefits compared to equivalent charity jobs.

Frightening lack of training, support, anything really.

Terrible IT.

Disheartening workplace culture.

Talented colleagues often overworked, underpaid and underappreciated.

Nice views at the head office.
Amazing job role - Average organisation
The actual job role (I was mental health recovery worker) is amazing. This is about as front line as it gets in mental health work & if you’re born afraid of a bit of hard work, genuinely want to help others and don’t mind working with those with severe mental illness and those who are in crisis point, then it is amazing. The work you can do & the change you can help inspire in other people’s lives is brilliant and so rewarding.

However, this is unfortunately hindered by the organisation. I experienced the organisation to be quite “Cliqhey’ - if you did not get on with certain staff or agree with their style of working then you where in trouble.
Managers have Definetly got favourites who have their ear and you either do what they say or you’re in trouble. There’s Definetly a gap between the front line staff and service managers, AD’s and upwards.

Rethink as a wider organisation seem brilliant - time to change is fab, great website, great information. Rethink however need to practice what they preach with

Regards to well-being at work - staff members with lived experience of mental health are encouraged to work at ReThink but I found that it isn’t supported well. The administrative side of this is done (Wrap plans

Etc...) so boxes are ticked but there seems little understanding on day to day issues for staff members with mental health & this is a real shame.

Pay is also quite poor compared to what work you do.
Pros
Very rewarding job role
Cons
Low pay, lack of support from managers
Overwhelmingly awful
I've worked in health and social care for 10 years and Rethink by far has been the worst place i've ever worked.. they will do whatever they can to cover up and hide problems - no transparency what so ever here.

The 'management' here is disgusting (and if I was the CEO I certainly wouldn't brag!) It really does need a fresh CEO (and one who isn't afraid of 'positive risk taking').

On another note I have no idea what 'outcomes' they are feeding the commissioners because I saw no improvements or benefits what so ever from the 'service' they claim to provide, but it's definitely a load of rubbish whatever they're feeding commissioners. This organisation is a disgrace in my opinion..

They also attract poor in-experienced staff right from top to bottom resulting in an absolute chaotic mess!

The training is AWFUL - you will spend 1 day learning about mental illnesses i.e. what Schizophrenia actually IS (the definition) but you will be taught/trained/guided with nothing on how to actually SUPPORT these individuals and HOW best to manage their illness/symptoms or recover. Key-working is literally as far as input goes by way of support, which is terrible for a charity who claims to support people's mental wellbeing!!???

So needless to say 'recovery' is virtually impossible and doesn't ever happen.

Despite all their much bragged about research online into what people actually need they deliver none of it... where's all this so-called intervention i.e. occupational therapy/psychological input etc you talk about? And by the way, knock knock it's 2018!

In my opinion
 - more...
Badly run
Unsupported at last place I worked. Incompetent manager and proved right as she was asked to leave. I liked most of the staff apart from one who was taken on as she was very friendly with the managers.
Incompetent charity
This is a very corrupt charity.
I am aware of a few greviances that have been raised and higher management cover these up.
You are unable to trust any mangament.

In the last 12 months 6 managers have been got rid of suddenly, no explanation to the clients, which should be the most important thing.

Wiltshire Rethink especially has gone down here, the services have bad reputations with professionals and their cqc ratings all become bad.

This is an organisation to stay away from as does not look after employee wellbeing.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management and culture of charity
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rethink Mental Illness. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6