READING BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Working at RBC
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire9 February 2018
I really enjoyed my time at RBC and really love how fast pased it can be in the work place, everyone is so focused yet so helpful when needed. I was looked after by my manager and had a good working realationship with staff!!
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Nothing to complain about !!!
Sad to leave
Apprentice Plumber (Former Employee) –  Reading31 January 2018
After my accident which ended my career as a plumber management gave me the opportunity to build on my office skills.I learnt how to deal with customers both internally and externally. I dealt with enquiries both in writing and over the phone. However this was not a perm position as there was not a vacancy available.
I loved my training as a plumber and was devastated that I could not continue with my chosen career.
Dated Management
Housing advice officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 December 2017
Really hideous management team with no people management skills and a reputation for bullying behaviour particularly in housing they are very open that employees are replaceable.

No emphasis on Work life balance and the most hideous place I have worked.
Fabulous
P/T Workforce Development Team Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire31 July 2017
Good people, very helpful, good training and supportive within a team setting and very busy. This was evolving all the time into different ways to be efficient.
Pros
Free tea and coffee and friends for life
Cons
Cant remember
Gradually going downhill
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Reading27 April 2017
Not the best company to be working for at the moment, and pay increases & training are virtually non existent. Management is failing in most areas and cuts are making staff moral hit an all time low.
Enjoyable, lots of different experiences daily, plenty of initiatives everyday and love caring for children.
Early Years Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Tilehurst, Berkshire27 April 2017
I've been working there for nearly 12year, it's a lovely workplace and I enjoyed working there. I decided that I'd like to broaden my new experiences and new different challenges for. I feel it's time for me to do something new and different. I have skills in caring for people and I like care for them & helping them. I would like to do something like that.
Pros
Part-time. Close to home. Flexible
Cons
Small communication barriers sometimes
local authority public sector
Facilities/Security reception (Former Employee) –  Reading27 March 2017
I worked mainly in the security office and helped the porters from time to time. The departments I worked for were going through some challenges and changes but I believe things have improved massively since I was there. My senior manager maintained the utmost professionalism at all times and listened to feedback responsively and seems to have acted on it.
Pros
Excellent senior management
Cons
Some departments would benefit from more positive work culture
Good Experience
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire6 March 2017
Good experience gained of different sectors.

There is a lack of investment in staff training/advancement.

Relaxed environment, although fast paced at times and various challenges- but colleagues are more than willing to help.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
lack of staff investment
Behind with the times
Health & Activity Develpment/Gym Management (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire10 February 2017
Upper Management are stuck in their ways, closed to fresh ideas & thinking outside the box. Do not utilize staff skills or knowledge for best results.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lack of motivation and poor culture
A friendly workplace
Streetcare Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire2 February 2017
I had previously worked in Social Care at Reading Borough Council and got a good reference, so I was contacted by Streetcare for this position. I was responsible for the administration of bin collections. This meant that I had to log all reports on Excel, liaise with the collection team and answer any queries from local residents. I was also responsible for tracking abandoned cars, contacting the owners if possible and organising for them to be towed away if necessary.

This job required a good eye for detail, problem-solving skills and good customer service. It was quite a colourful environment, as the collection crew were quite rowdy at times, but I didn't mind, as I liked the people I worked with.
Pros
Friendly, helpful colleagues
Cons
Resident complaints
Leisure Attendant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 January 2017
Have gained a lot of knowledge and experience from this place. Loads of courses to go on but rarely any progress to progress
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Long days
Full of energy
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Reading27 October 2016
As a professional Hackney Carriage Taxi driver I have revolved around many different types of people from a number of different backgrounds, people with disabilities, people with little or no English speaking skills overcoming any difficulties that may have risen. This job is always full of energy meet new people every day from all types of fields.
Pros
Start break and end time anytime
Cons
Some days may consist long hours
regular employment with uniform, holiday pay and sick leave
driver/sweeper (Current Employee) –  Reading25 October 2016
The landscape is changing at RBC. Shift patterns have been altered and have made the job stressful and difficult for those with families and social lives.
Pros
a sense of pride in work achieved
Cons
unworkable shift patterns
Inclusive and professional
Tutor of British Sign Language (Former Employee) –  New Directions, Reading4 July 2016
I worked only two evenings per week.
I learned to become a qualified teacher of adults.
Management was very supportive and encouraging.
The co-workers were very supportive.
The hardest part of the job was the preparation but it was enjoyable as was teaching my subject.
Pros
A very creative, supportive and developmental time.
Cons
It did not become long enough hours
fun place to work
Youth Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG11 November 2015
I loved working with the young carers in reading, facing tough decisions on a daily basis along with the normal stresses and strains of a young child in reading today,
Pros
get to eat whatever foods were on the menu for that week!
typical angry resident complains
investigating suspense account occurences (Former Employee) –  reading22 June 2015
They have a really nice building now, sometimes things don't go to plan A or plan B and this is plain to see. You have to say to these people well done guys you turned things around.
Pros
the building is nice
Cons
low pay
not bad place to work
Part time Lifeguard/Leisure attendant (Current Employee) –  Reading6 June 2015
the politics within the company are a joke. if you're a casual attendant and you apply for a full time position, you could do the best interview ever, but if your face doesn't fit, you will not get the job. this has happened to me.i have been working there as a casual for 3 years now, i was told i couldn't improve my interview, yet i couldn't get the job over someone that has never worked in leisure, and doesn't have the required qualifications for the job.
Pros
pays well
Cons
politics are rediculous
Productive and pleasent workplace
Drainage/Highways Operative (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG12 May 2015
started work at 8 and finished at 4 so nice time to start and finish work, nice to meet people, learned new skills through corses I was put on, work colleges were friendly to work with. The hardest part of the job was working outside in winter and the most enjoyable was left alone to do my days work.
Pros
hours of work
Cons
had to start earlier
Work force great
Voids Technical Ooficer (Current Employee) –  Reading, ENG2 May 2014
Good place to work with a dedicated work force striving to give tenants an exceptional service with limited resources.
Pros
Great dedicated work force.
Cons
lack of funds.
Many in the community were pro-active
Senior Youth & Community Worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG28 November 2013
A very challenging role and environment and being able to empower, some individuals and sections within the community, was very rewarding.