Reading Borough Council Employee Reviews

Ok love the job
Vlounteer support worker (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire7 October 2019
Help clients and carer staff. serve drinks and food, lay tables. take part in activities.Talk to clients, help where could, enjoyed meeting people, serving the community.Also helped in the office doing Administration work for the Manageress, Learnt to be more confident, and didn't find no hard part of any of the work required.
The job would be so much easier and nicer with out all the rec tape
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire27 June 2019
Fostering is very rewarding, but to many obstacles put in your way.
It's a 24/7 job with very little support. The people who are there to support you are usually the ones putting obstacles I your way.
Pros
Seeing little faces experience new things and having fun.
Cons
Paperwork.
Really good all well done , I felt safe, and that I learned a lot
Nursery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading22 April 2019
When doing my work experience , I felt that had learned how to deal with child in a whole new way , non off staff was rude , and they made sure that I had felt apart off the group , they made that I had learned the ins and out off all parts off childcare , with all different ages , the hours was flexablw
Pros
That if there was enough good I'd be given some
great people
Customer Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire12 March 2019
work with great people and interesting days, lots of different roles, two days are never the same as different enquiries come in. some post have flexible hours to suit around employers
Amazing
Hackney Carriage Driver (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire27 January 2019
I have recently decided to change my career path and retired from being a Black Cab & Private Hire driver for both Reading & Wokingham Borough Council
Admin role
Administrate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, UK2 December 2018
Providing administrative support to professionals to ensure school attendance is kept high. Biggest success moving from a paper file management system to an electric management system.
Grant Giving
Voluntary Sector Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, UK2 December 2018
Assisting the local authority to give grant aid to voluntary and community organisation, this involved budget management along with managing premises.
Fun place to work
EMPLOYMENT SERVICES OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire28 November 2018
Plenty of flexibility available. Great working environment. Good pension scheme. Plenty of career potential. Working from home option. 9 day fortnight working pattern available.
Pros
Annual Leave
Cons
Good work environment and oppotunity for training
Civil Enforcement Technician - Maternity Cover (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire25 November 2018
Excellent place to work. Learned a great deal about both administration and the statutory process. Great working environment, structure provided to ensure that set deadlines are met.
Working at RBC
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire9 February 2018
I really enjoyed my time at RBC and really love how fast pased it can be in the work place, everyone is so focused yet so helpful when needed. I was looked after by my manager and had a good working realationship with staff!!
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Nothing to complain about !!!
Sad to leave
Apprentice Plumber (Former Employee) –  Reading31 January 2018
After my accident which ended my career as a plumber management gave me the opportunity to build on my office skills.I learnt how to deal with customers both internally and externally. I dealt with enquiries both in writing and over the phone. However this was not a perm position as there was not a vacancy available.
I loved my training as a plumber and was devastated that I could not continue with my chosen career.
A really good employer and local resource to develop professionally
BSL tutor (Former Employee) –  Reading4 January 2018
It was part time, usually classes were in the evening.
I learned how to become a qualified tutor of British Sign Language and gained two qualifications.
The management was clear and supportive.
The workplace culture was inclusive, informative and innovative.
The hardest part of the job was all the extra hours needed to prepare for lessons.
Most enjoyable part was interacting with the students, watching them grow in knowledge, experience and developing professionally.
Pros
A good place to develop professionally
Cons
A lot of extra hours needed for preparation that is not paid for.
Dated Management
Housing advice officer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 December 2017
Really hideous management team with no people management skills and a reputation for bullying behaviour particularly in housing they are very open that employees are replaceable.

No emphasis on Work life balance and the most hideous place I have worked.
Educational
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire17 October 2017
Lots of administration work, learned to do minutes, not much management work, culture was very easy going. learning all about care and making it fit in with your administration role. The nice breaks and friendly people.
Pros
Lunch when like
Cons
was just training
Steady busy job
Temporary Part Time Administrator (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire2 August 2017
A good working atmosphere but with no room for progression as mine was a temporary role.
Salary is very poor, just the minimum wage but there is some flexibility with hours
Fabulous
P/T Workforce Development Team Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire31 July 2017
Good people, very helpful, good training and supportive within a team setting and very busy. This was evolving all the time into different ways to be efficient.
Pros
Free tea and coffee and friends for life
Cons
Cant remember
Gradually going downhill
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Reading27 April 2017
Not the best company to be working for at the moment, and pay increases & training are virtually non existent. Management is failing in most areas and cuts are making staff moral hit an all time low.
Enjoyable, lots of different experiences daily, plenty of initiatives everyday and love caring for children.
Early Years Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Tilehurst, Berkshire27 April 2017
I've been working there for nearly 12year, it's a lovely workplace and I enjoyed working there. I decided that I'd like to broaden my new experiences and new different challenges for. I feel it's time for me to do something new and different. I have skills in caring for people and I like care for them & helping them. I would like to do something like that.
Pros
Part-time. Close to home. Flexible
Cons
Small communication barriers sometimes
local authority public sector
Facilities/Security reception (Former Employee) –  Reading27 March 2017
I worked mainly in the security office and helped the porters from time to time. The departments I worked for were going through some challenges and changes but I believe things have improved massively since I was there. My senior manager maintained the utmost professionalism at all times and listened to feedback responsively and seems to have acted on it.
Pros
Excellent senior management
Cons
Some departments would benefit from more positive work culture
Good Experience
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire6 March 2017
Good experience gained of different sectors.

There is a lack of investment in staff training/advancement.

Relaxed environment, although fast paced at times and various challenges- but colleagues are more than willing to help.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
lack of staff investment