Reading Borough Council

Reading Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom53 reviews
I worked with Reading Borough Council as a Contractor on a project through my own private limited company so I cannot comment on Reading Borough Council as an employer
fun and productive place to work. meet a variety of service users daily. every job is different to a degree. lovely team to work with daily and work around each other to get the job done.
New Directions - Adult Learning Service/Community College for Reading Borough Council. I worked there for 10 years and absolutely loved it. Great colleagues, super students.
As Careers Advisor/Employment Advisor I would be helping students and member of the public who were job seekers to find training, volunteering or work in the Reading area. I could be working at various college, council and community locations seeing people for drop in service or by appointment.

Workplace culture was focused on helping our students and others to move forward and achieve their goals.

It was great when a student or job seeker came to see me with good news about passing an exam or getting a job etc. Most difficult part of my job was helping people to get back their positivity after job application rejections.

I was proud to be part of the wider council and helping to make a difference (hopefully) to the residents of Reading.

Only left because I was moving out of the area.

Would thoroughly recommend.
Staff encouraged to obtain professional qualifications for career progression. Managers control training budgets which is utilised according to staff training needs.
Pros
environmental friendly officers
Cons
weak leadership
I have worked for Reading Borough Council for 20 years and my salary has HARDLY INCREASED.
Also as a teaching assistant we are often over looked and we carry out work with some of the most challenging children.
Pros
Hopefully a good pension
Cons
No opportunity
Aside from the learning aspect of this apprenticeship which is done by a separate body, it's been pretty poorly run by managers, with front line staff taking the reigns to give me experience.
The facilities and systems are terrible, though as a plumber I'm out on site most of the time: office unclean, technology old and so much red tape.

There's probably one normal employee for every 3 jobsworths, who aim simply to make other people's lives worse. Outliers to this council culture are promptly destroyed through gossip and defamation.

For getting experience on your cv and as a stepping stone to something better: the council is fine. As a career? Maybe give it a miss- unless you're one of the select few of the bourgeoisie in senior management: I'm looking at you, chief exec!!
Far to stressful
Not enough staff to cover services

Constant demand on time

only one person (me) to answer all phone call enquiries

little flexibility from management
Pros
Cons
long hours to keep work up to date (no overtime pay)
General assistant 0 hour contract good job shame about the red tape at RBC .Did one shift as my login number to get paid didn't work after several emails I got fed up because no-one could fix it .so I left I work my shift in July didn't get paid for the 1 shift I did until October and that only after .I sent a letter to head of payroll at the RBC it's a shame as I enjoyed my shift but terrible management
Help clients and carer staff. serve drinks and food, lay tables. take part in activities.Talk to clients, help where could, enjoyed meeting people, serving the community.Also helped in the office doing Administration work for the Manageress, Learnt to be more confident, and didn't find no hard part of any of the work required.
My journey with RBC has been varied - at times positive and supportive but currently there is no stability.
Many years ago i was supported to develop, by being offered a lot of training opportunities. Since budget cuts these have ceased to exist and now the organising feels disjointed and disconnected with it's staff.
Fostering is very rewarding, but to many obstacles put in your way.
It's a 24/7 job with very little support. The people who are there to support you are usually the ones putting obstacles I your way.
Pros
Seeing little faces experience new things and having fun.
Cons
Paperwork.
When doing my work experience , I felt that had learned how to deal with child in a whole new way , non off staff was rude , and they made sure that I had felt apart off the group , they made that I had learned the ins and out off all parts off childcare , with all different ages , the hours was flexablw
Pros
That if there was enough good I'd be given some
work with great people and interesting days, lots of different roles, two days are never the same as different enquiries come in. some post have flexible hours to suit around employers
I have recently decided to change my career path and retired from being a Black Cab & Private Hire driver for both Reading & Wokingham Borough Council
Providing administrative support to professionals to ensure school attendance is kept high. Biggest success moving from a paper file management system to an electric management system.
Assisting the local authority to give grant aid to voluntary and community organisation, this involved budget management along with managing premises.
Plenty of flexibility available. Great working environment. Good pension scheme. Plenty of career potential. Working from home option. 9 day fortnight working pattern available.
Pros
Annual Leave
Cons
Excellent place to work. Learned a great deal about both administration and the statutory process. Great working environment, structure provided to ensure that set deadlines are met.
I really enjoyed my time at RBC and really love how fast pased it can be in the work place, everyone is so focused yet so helpful when needed. I was looked after by my manager and had a good working realationship with staff!!
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Nothing to complain about !!!
After my accident which ended my career as a plumber management gave me the opportunity to build on my office skills.I learnt how to deal with customers both internally and externally. I dealt with enquiries both in writing and over the phone. However this was not a perm position as there was not a vacancy available.
I loved my training as a plumber and was devastated that I could not continue with my chosen career.
It was part time, usually classes were in the evening.
I learned how to become a qualified tutor of British Sign Language and gained two qualifications.

The management was clear and supportive.

The workplace culture was inclusive, informative and innovative.

The hardest part of the job was all the extra hours needed to prepare for lessons.

Most enjoyable part was interacting with the students, watching them grow in knowledge, experience and developing professionally.
Pros
A good place to develop professionally
Cons
A lot of extra hours needed for preparation that is not paid for.