Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Fantastic hospital to work in
Specialist Clinical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Nuclear Medicine4 March 2018
The hospital is fully equipped to deal with all the demands of modern medicine. My department had state of the art equipment, and was a lovely and productive place to work in
Satisfying job
RECOVERY NURSE/ANAESTHETIC NURSE (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 February 2018
Caring for patients after operations in recovery. Maintain airways till patient able to breathe independently. Care for patients to a very high standard,
Pros
Patient care
Cons
No support and no opportunities
new hospital
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  anaesthetics26 July 2017
The new QEUH is a beautiful building, although it has insufficient parking for the amount of patients, visitors and staff that have to park there every day. The piece of land that it occupies is directly opposite a sewage decontamination plant and an industrial park where there is a fish canning factory and other businesses.

A typical day at my work involves trying to find a parking place that I don't need to pay for; proceeding to get into the building, head to my department, get changed and get my theatre ready for the day ahead. This involves stocking up, cleaning, retrieving any machinery, pumps etc that I may need, having the team brief, collecting the patient before 0850 and starting the procedure. I am responsible for ensuring all paperwork is complete and correct before any procedure goes ahead - including names, dates of birth, allergies etc.

The workplace culture is dependant on the management. The management on the whole are very good and also partake in practical work, rather than solely office/administration based. This enhances their understanding of possible difficulties we are experiencing and can assist us in ways we can improve situations.

The hardest part of the job is making sure everything runs to schedule. As an Anaesthetics nurse, it is my duty to have the patient fully checked over and in the anaesthetic room, ready to be anaesthetised by 0850. However, some surgeons and anesthetists do not arrive on time and this impacts the entire day as it is not just the first patient's procedure that may run late, it is all of them.

The most enjoyable
  more... part of the job is the people I get to work with. They are lovely, friendly and polite. Also meeting the patients before their surgeries and explaining procedures to them, chatting and generally calming them down.  less
Pros
good, friendly team, many learning opportunities
Cons
bad parking, long hours, frequent late finishes
not a pleasent place of work.
Porter (Former Employee) –  A&E1 February 2017
unfortunetly i cant speak too much about my former place of work.I am still bound by a confidentiality clause even after i have left.Management in the QEUH can be very arrogant and dismissive of any input you may have regarding better ways to help in the movement of patients and other aspects of the job.The most enjoyable part is a sad aspect of the place,it was finishing time.I learned nothing in this building.It was left to porters to try and educate our superiors but to no avail.
Pros
helping the general public and patients as much as i could.
Cons
Bad management.