Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University Belfast Employee Reviews

United Kingdom47 reviews
Laid back work place
Very flexible working arrangements. Good salary. Good benefits. Easy going managers and friendly co-workers. Easy application process. No interview required.
The workplace is friendly and productive
The general culture is cooperative.
The quality of management and leadership on PI / line manager

My work is not typical for a research technician - due to my background i have more responsibilities in research planning, organisation, data analysis and publication.

I particularly enjoy the variety of problem solving challenges that comes with research activity.
Good place to work in general
A busy place to work but enjoyable overall. it is nice to get foot in the door and explore a range of places or departments to work within. would recommend.
Forward and Innovative
A very modern organization at the forefront of technological innovation and research. Great workplace culture from ordinary worker to management. Class
Highly enjoyed working for Queens University and I gained a lot of experience from highly trained individuals. Management were very supportive, the range of cultures were a bonus and the work hours, pension plan and holidays were absolutely amazing.
Environnement de travail agréable
Très bonne entente entre tous les membres de l'équipe
Delivered on expectations
During my PhD project I had great support from my supervisors, and was given several opportunities to attend and present at conferences. There was a good atmosphere in the building and I did feel surrounded by intelligent, driven people. One criticism I would make is that the line of communication to me about the kind of programme requirements such as annual reviews and training was sometimes unclear or slow.
Fun Workplace
9-5 Working Hours
Good place to work.

Friendly Work Environment.

Decent number of annual holidays

Number of events through out the year for staff

Cheap movie tickets for Queens Staff
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Queen's University Belfast?
Interesting workplace
Different tasks are completed every day which keeps the job very interesting and exciting. The work environment is very fun and lighthearted which helps make the long hours enjoyable
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Hard work and long hours
Environment which focusses on student satisfaction
The university is located in the city centre and is easy to get to with public transport. Teaching is very rewarding and the work culture is geared towards student satisfaction. However, admin. issues often arise and work/life balance and job security are poor.
Nice place
In general the institute is nice to work for but unfortunately I didn't feel as though my role had been thought out enough or prepared for enough in advance. Management could therefore be better.
Flexible Work
The role is not too demanding and there is very little interference with academic study, staff are understanding if you are unable to attend events due to unforeseeable circumstances.
Temp work
Queens university of Belfast enrolment and registration team was a good place to work to earn a bit of extra cash as a student. It also provided many good transferable skills to use after university.

A typical day when working for the student helpline would include turning up and answering phones all day for any student queries with the enrolment and registration process.

workplace culture was good as we were all students.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
payroll system
productive and challenging work place environment
I also have a positive attitude that can provide a better working environment for my peers. I also would like to get experience to further my knowledge to gained ‘softer’ employability skills and specific technical skills. I also hope to accelerate personal maturity, self-awareness and ability to express my skills and achievements.
No career Progression
In the dark ages. No flexibility and very strict time keeping - can't take an hour out to bring kids to dentist must take a half day !! Very difficult to progress. Jobs lined up for someone usually.
enjoyable work with students and staff
A good place to work .
A typical day involved preparation and delivery of lectures. A lot of time was devoted to looking after the needs of part-time students. The most enjoyable part of the job was engagement with students and staff.
Pros
Students
Cons
Job Security
Enjoyable
I was Head of Events for a society ran by Queen's University from September 2017 - June 2018. I was responsible for organising events. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that management above me were aware of future planning.
Hard graft
Very hard course different to your 'typical' student life. Still worthwhile and amazing knowledge base. Good to get experience on the wards before being qualified and be able to work out what specialty you wish to work in.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Mixture of placement/uni life
No Support
No support from either supervisor throughout PhD project. Industrial partner provided little to enhance the project and showed little interest in research progress.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
no support
Good people, very frienlly staff. Interesting projects to work on. Excellent facilities. Great location close to plenty of good places for food at lunch.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Purchasing
Good
Really good company to work for. If you want to work in a company were you can be free to be creative and broaden your horizons, Queens University Belfast is the place to be.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queen's University Belfast. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4