Quba & Co

Quba & Co Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews
Complete lack of management, grateful to the managers of other stores for their assistance, but otherwise just left to run store with the other new sales assistant. If you care about your safety do not recommend, no access to fire exit in stock room, so much stock in there it is beyond a joke and head office don't listen when you ask them to send less. Mostly end up working on your own and footfall can be really low at times making for some pretty boring days. Be ready to be given a lot less hours than you were offered at interview.
Love working here, great fun team and amazing manager. Great range of customers throughout the year, have loved getting to know the regular customers.
Was expected to run store as no manager and company didn’t want to pay out for one. Only support was from other store managers who were understanding and tried to help as best they could. Area management and head office either had no idea what they were doing or were busy emailing all stores telling them how bad they’re all doing. Will try to forget I ever worked here.
Having worked In retail for 25 + years I can honestly say Quba is like no other business.
Quba is a company so stuck in the past with how it is ran that sadly it’s future seems bleak, and everyone who works there is aware of this.

They still believe that bullying store teams and piling on pressure to already stretched managers is a way of making good business. In a time when self worth is so valid head office and area management think threats and accusations are the best way to make money.

If you are looking for a career within a successful encouraging retail environment you’ll be more likely to get it by claiming benefits than working for this company
A truly horrendous place to have sadly wasted so much of my energy!

Store teams and managers are second rate citizens with no say or influence no matter how hard or long they work for the company.

You are worth more than working somewhere like Quba, I promise!
In a typical day I got to interface with a variety of suppliers and everyday vendors that come under quba. Very transparent and friendly organisation.
They sack employees who is extremely I'll. Do not care about staff. They bully staff. Expect staff to do everything and if you disagree then they find a way to get rid of you
This has possibly been the worst company I have ever worked for; the pay is shocking; the treatment of staff is terrible, and you get no compensation or bonuses for doing extra work for the company. A normal workday is very boring, seems like there is a lot that could be done but once you get it done there’s nothing left, and you just sit around. Customer satisfaction is also very low and the management within the company is terrible, the way cash is handled and also the way the company use their budgets is horrible. Bullying is very common within the company towards staff, the clothing allowance is also very unfair. There is definitely no positivity within the company and WOULD HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND!!
Really stressful environment to work in! They put so much pressure on the stores and people who work in them. Head office and senior management are rude and pile on stress to understaffed stores who can’t do anymore. Really sad as people I worked sith were lovely. Mystery they can get away with what they do.
Pros
People I worked with.
Cons
Head office. Staff treatment. Terrible pay. Zero hrs contracts.
Quba COULD be a company that's great to work in if it's run right and treats its staff with respect. This unfortunately isn't the case.

Not enough budget is given out, so stores can't afford to keep staff members on. Doesn't matter how much loyalty or effort you put into the company for however many years, that means nothing to them since they still drop your hours like a rock. Didn't feel valued here because they can dispose of you when its convenient for them, not giving one thought for you at all. Clothing quality isn't good sometimes, and more times than should, is dealt with customers complaining about faulty stock. You're not allowed to give refunds without permission from HO because they clearly don't trust their own staff. This made awkward situations with disgruntled customers if HO didn't answer their phone/messages. HO don't realise that their own policy has a negative affect and therefore customers don't buy their product! Bullying within the company is VERY obvious. Managers get pressured by higher up if their stupidly high and not realistic targets aren't met. And despite our best efforts to push sales, being overworked and understaffed, it's never good enough. HO are so out of touch with stores and don't give any help to those who take the complaints at face value. Customers are more likely to go to a store that has good quality clothing and treats its staff with respect. If customers knew the half of what goes on, they wouldn't shop here! Expect a zero hour contract and minimum wage. No progression within the company, no extra pay if you're expected to open/close/run
 - more...
If the intention of this brand is to close down then they are doing a fab job! Staff morale is depressing, constant cuts to stores. Head office are out of touch with store staff! Quba and co don’t understand the reason they aren’t doing well is due to their treatment of staff.
Zero hr contracts say it all really.
Quba Sails is an awesome store to work for, great merchandise and a well structured company.
Easy work day diary.

Good upskilling of staff.

Energising and fresh managers.

Positive workplace culture.

Lots of legwork 🙁

Lovely customers.
Completely and utterly ridiculous. I worked at Quba for a year. At the time in store manager was fantastic but the rest of the company is horrendous. The amount you are expected to do alone is unfair and unsafe (restock the store with customers in, the door always has to be open come rain,shine or snow! I don’t even want to think about how many things might have been stolen while I was busy with other customers or retrieving something from the stock room) The stock level is overwhelming, not only does the store end up looking like a jumble sale but the stock room is deadly, boxes upon boxes all full and very heavy. More than once has there been times that stacks of boxes have fallen or broken under the weight of what’s in them and what has to be put on top of them as there is a huge lack of space, our fire exit was blocked for well over a year with the area manager knowing about this. ( we had literally no where else to put it as even one of our changing rooms was filled to the rafters). The lack of help from head office is abysmal, for example we thought for once we where getting help, we were allowed to move 11 boxes of old stock... but then the next week 15 boxes of sale stock came back to the store making the work from the previous week completely obsolete. So the managers are being bullied by the area manager who put my manager on probation because our figures were low IN WINTER and also advertised her job without letting her know! We also advertise for a supervisor that both me and another lady in the store had an interview for, only to be told after we both went for - more...
Pros
The girls I worked with were nice.
Cons
Everything!!!
The most horrific job I have ever had! Bullying culture within head office to stores is very prominent. Minimum pay, no organisation, bullying. Team members in store amazing though!
Pros
Team
Cons
Bullying
Didn’t enjoy one second of it. Manager was stretched to her limit with little to no help for a start. Hours were all over the place with everyone besides management on a 0 hour contract. Very near Minimum wage for everyone, despite the head office constantly trying to force employees to push sales up offering no incentive. So poorly ran, very boring work place and the quality of the clothing is horrendous for 90% of it. Wouldn’t recommend to anyone.

Only good things were the people I worked with and a slightly good uniform allowance.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Dull, underpaid, undervalued.
This company hire with a view to staff staying around 5 or 6 months. They treat the staff accordingly and get what they sow... a hugely transient staff and a horrible work culture. Management have no respect whatsoever to the staff and treat them in a disgraceful way. Zero hours contracts and minimum wage coupled with the horrendous management mean Quba are a company to avoid at any cost. They push an awful product which falls to pieces and a lot of time is spent dealing with customer complaints. Really really only apply here if you are happy to be spoken to like a piece of dirt and you have no aspirations to progress in a company. Like most people you will probably only last a few months.
Pros
Can't think of one.
Cons
Too many to list
- Zero hour contracts
- minimum wage

- Shambolic management

- Bullying culture

- Staff treated appallingly

- Poor quality product

The above sums up Quba. I could go into further detail but Quba appear to have removed many of the other negative reviews detailing exactly what it was like to work for this terrible company. Management bully and staff are treated abysmally. This really is a Micky Mouse company and you would be better signing on than working here. No staff in the store I worked stayed for longer than 4 months. This is not a coincidence!!
Pros
Cons
Management and all else
I worked here for a few months because like every other member of staff this was all I could stand. This is a disgraceful company. Zero hour contracts, minimum wage and quite frankly the worst management I have ever seen in a company. They treat staff as dispenable objects and there is a culture of fear. This is without doubt the absolute worst company I have ever worked for. Staff turnover is CONTINUOUS and as a result the atmosphere is dreadful. Days in store are spent returning items for disgruntled customers. Do yourself a favour an apply for a job elsewhere!
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Too many to list
Although only with the company a few months, it was long enough to understand the shambles that is Quba and co.
The company is beyond disorganised, staff are treated terribly and completely taken for granted.

Pay is terrible, pay reviews are non existent!

Pressurised atmosphere as the company expect unrealistic targets from stores who are understaffed and run on minimum hrs. Turnover is very high of staff, no one stays for long. Loyalty is not rewarded so what’s the point!
Pros
Store team were lovely
Cons
Poor pay, no incentives, bad hours.
We constantly got told by customers how the company used to be great! but this was a long time ago. A poisonous work culture has really depleted any worth in the brand.

At Quba no one is valued ! be it store manager, supervisor or sales assistant. Department leaders in HO are the first to call out and criticise but the last to understand or support. The company pile pressure on to understaffed stores at every opportunity

If you think at least you are payed to get treated so badly, you'd be wrong. The pay is SHOCKING! in no way competitive or in line with any other business across any industry. hours are diabolical and the company loves to hand out zero hr contracts and drop staff at last minute notice.

The atmosphere in store is one of constant worry, worry about money, about hrs and about senior management. My manager tried their best to protect staff in store but was shot down from above.

Staff turnover is absurdly high!

I wish I had worked for Quba when it was a place people actually wanted to work.
Pros
My Store manager
Cons
Stress, pressure. pay or lack off
Great business to work for, you're given plenty of responsibility and chance to bring your own merchandising and sales talent to the fore.
The staff are friendly, enthusiastic and motivated. This leads to a good energized atmosphere in the stores.

The merchandise is good quality that justifies it's price, this is proven by the way in which most customers keep returning for more, one of my customers, having traveled from Australia, was delighted with our clothing and bemoaned the fact that we have no stores over there.

You're expected to work hard and put the hours in to achieve results but in today's intensive retail industry that's the only way a business can succeed.

Being part of a hard-working and results driven business is thrilling and rewarding.

The pay is competitive and the small business atmosphere makes you feel part of a hard-working family.
Pros
Gives you plenty of responsibility