Quarriers

Quarriers Employee Reviews

United Kingdom57 reviews
good place if you like befriending as a volunteer
learned more about learning difficulties such as dyslexia. I also learned a wee bit about how quarriers was formed as a home in quarriers village near kilmacolm.
sacked due to other staff members lies
worked for the company for 9 years was fine at first until I received a nomination for a Quarriers award. Other staff members were jealous, a staff member made up a story about me and after the investigation I was sacked. I was also reported to the SSSC but they said to me I was still fit to practice. Watch your back if you speak out about anything you wont be there long. Team leaders don't support you its too much hassle for them.When you report other Staff members abusing clients they say to you I will deal with it but that's the last you hear anything about it caring staff get hassle ones that don't care get all the praise. New members of staff working in projects without doing the proper training. Some staff members enjoy spending the service users money spending £100 per week on groceries to support 1 person.
Pros
Great Clients
Cons
managment over friendly with certain staff members
Dont go here
When things were good management happy when I pointed they're mistakes out life was made difficult don't go here clients brilliant brighten your day hard but worthwhile work
Relaxed and easy going
I was a Volunteer so I can't comment on Salary and Job Advancement.
But overall ,it was great experience working with dedicated people who were very supportive.
Poor structure
The Corporate structure results in the poor management (as recognised frequently in Inspection reports) not supporting support workers, with the consequence services are often not meeting their potential and staff frequently have low morale and no job satisfaction.
Avoid! Avoid! avoid!
Not enough staff on duty on shifts! I was left to support 3 Service users alone at various times,Service users not getting the full package that they are entitled too,Backstabbing Staff,Management a joke.HR you contact them it’s they same a joke they don’t do nothing about Any issues you have! Worse post I have ever held! Avoid!!!!
Poor place to work
Staff are given little help to deal with anti-social behaviour of service users at this particular residency, causing a great deal of stress and worry. Salary is extremely poor given the hours worked.
Excellent and more
Quarriers is an excellent place to work at. I have worked for this company for over eight years, and it is a loving place. People treat each other with respect, and the management is super kind, they have protocol and procedures for everything, and they take into account what the staff says. Quarriers is such a thriving, happy place, and I wish it stays that way. The only negative thing is sometimes the management promote whoever they are friends with the most preventing others from getting a chance. but apart from that, Quarriers is the best place I have ever worked at.
hampered by clueless management and lack of support
poor man management ,no support ,poor communication from team leader upwards. work extra hours unpaid, a management team that only consider themselves wages and saving company money.
Pros
work with some great caring support workers, . service users will give you hours of enjoyment and retain your sanity
Cons
clueless organisation
Bad management
Worked for
Quarrier’s for 5 years really enjoyed the first 4 years. Progressed in the job etc and has a great experience

Terrible work culture , staff over

Worked and stressed afraid

To complain. Guilted into working king hours afraid they may be penalised for not

Doing so.

All smoke and nitros
Poor team leader /management
Sleep over very stressed:
Team leader was selfish and very

bad organisation

Very bad communication

Shift goes very stressful

When we try to ask for any help team leader always him /her refused to listening us
16 January 2020
Thank you for your email.

We are keen to offer staff the chance to talk to us about their experiences, good and bad and as such I would be happy to discuss any concerns that you might have.

My personal opinion
I have worked there for 5 years my first 4 years were Amazing I had so many opportunities to progress and love my job couldn’t imagine doing anything else.
Until I whistle blew and since then it has Been awful i now dread going to work.

The management are friends with all the wrong staff

, Totally unprofessional

I always dreamed of working for Quarriers and not it’s a nightmare
25 November 2019
Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear that your recent experience has not matched the majority of your time with us. I would be happy to try and help you deal with this issue and I can be contacted directly on 01505 616033.

Alistair Dickson, Head of HR
Care Workers were underpaid for the amount of responsibility they had in their job
As an administrator, I felt that the living wage was adequate for the tasks that I undertook but there was a feeling of low morale amongst the care workers resulting from a high turnover of staff and low pay.
Thank you for your email.

As a charity, Quarriers have to ensure that any pay awards are affordable but for the second consecutive year we have implemented a payrise for support workers which is 25p above the Scottish Living wage. Our support workers currently receive £9.25 (2019 rate). In addition our turnover rates remain low, however I would urge you to advise any of your colleagues who may have issues to either speak with their line manager or contact me directly on 01505 616033.

Alistair Dickson, Head of HR
Loved working with lovely service users and staff
Loved my job and loved working with some lovely service users. Sometimes a very challenging job. Most of the staff I worked with were amazing people who like myself really cared about the service users and put our hearts into our work. The management were a different breed altogether. They don’t listen to staff enough or at all. The office staff were openly talking about staff in front of other staff members which was so unprofessional and made you learn not to trust them. Any complaints or concerns about other staff were swept under the carpet due to staff shortages. The care commission would have a field day if they only knew. Parents and families of service users were having to fight to get the basic needs met of their loved ones. Listen to staff, parents and families please. Sitting in an office knowing all the guidelines and saying all the right things does not make you a good supervisor/manager. Listening to ground level staff and putting things into action are what makes a good supervisor/manager.
Thank you for your message.

At Quarriers we greatly value our staff and are keen to do all we acn to support each and every member of staff. We can have challenges in the worjkplace but I would hope that staff can feel abe to raise any concerns with the appropriate line manager or more senior manager.

Alternatively you can speak directly with either your allocated HR Business Partner or myself, I can be contacted on 01505 616033.

It is important that we give all our staff an opportunity to be heard as I know from experience that some of the best ideas originate from staff who are doing the job.
A good company to work for!
There is no typical day in my role as a support worker every day is as challenging as it is enjoyable! Supporting service users to enable them be the best they can. My employers have enabled me to complete the training courses I need to be a good support worker. We have a great team of support workers that makes going to work fun!bedt things about working is knowing I’m making a difference to the people we support!
25 November 2019
Thank you for your message, I appreciate you taking the time out to let us know that you are having a positive experience.

Alistair Dickson, Head of HR
Amazing company, training and career progression
Quarriers are a fantastic company [charity] to work for. The recruitment process is extremely vigorous with very in depth background checks etc.
This is extremely important for obvious reasons.

They pay slightly higher than other private sector companies and really value their staff. The training you receive is outstanding.

I would highly recommend Quarriers as an employer.
Pros
Above average salary, outstanding training, great working conditions.
25 November 2019
Thank you for your message, we understand the importance of safer recruitment and the value of training and it is nice to see this is appreciated.

Suport Worker
Working for Quarriers is all about ticking the boxes and not supporting Staff as well as not taking complaints seriously
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management, shifts up to 30 hours
Thank you for your message.

At Quarriers, the biggest impact our staff make is delivering positive outcomes for the people we support. Without our staff this would not be possible.

If you have any compliants about any aspect of your role I would be happy to speak with you.

Alistair Dickson, Head of HR
Deeply unpleasant experience .
Under funded, under resourced, extremely high staff turnover, cramped conditions to work in, poor quality computers, not enough computers, no staff moral, no structure - culture of fire fighting as and when issues arise. Management keen to blame staff, staff who are often under supported, inexperienced and are dealing with some clients who are in the wrong service as they are aggressive and violent but it is cheaper for the local authorities to put them in quarriers rather than give them the care they need. High staff sickness, culture of secrecy and culture of lying to clients to keep them from becoming aggressive and violent.
I could go but I'm sure you get the picture.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Lots
Thank you for your email.

At Quarriers we value our staff as without them we would not deliver the first class outcomes to the people that we support that we do.

Like any care provider we can experience staffing shortages but work hard to recruit and retain quality support workers and likewise we do not avoid having difficult discussions with local authorities where there are challenges around services.

Isolated with no support
Very poor company to work for risk assessment are very lazy often no difference from previous year although things have changed poor management especially at senior level and hr department would advise anyone to stay clear.
Pros
Nice support workers
Thank you for your message.

Reading your message I can see that you have a negative opinion of senior managers and HR staff. This is disappointing as we are all keen to meet staff and discuss any difficulties that they may be experiencing. At Quarriers we are fully comitted to all our staff and their wellbeing.

Alistair Dickson

Head of HR
Not a good company
Serious issues with management

No time for workers

No support for anyone

Lack of respect

abuse of power by many higher up

only good part was the support workers
Pros
Good workers
Cons
Poor management
Thank you for your message.

I am sorry that your experience working with us seems to have been not as we would have liked, our senior managers and HR team are available to speak with and support staff who might be experiencing difficulties.

Alistair Dickson

Head of HR
One of my favourite work places.
So many memories, met some fantastic people. Life friends. Supported some of the most amazing individuals.
Shame the management shows little if not no support for their staff. To call them rude would be an understatement.
Pros
Amazing Staff
Cons
Shocking Mangement