QinetiQ
Coronavirus update
Information from QinetiQ:

QinetiQ Employee Reviews

United Kingdom91 reviews
I had the opportunity to work at Farnborough, then Gosport (Haslar) and finally Boscombe Down. Each role was very different with its own life. Three wonderful experiences that added to my CV 'kit bag'...
Wonderful company, excellent experience. Great opportunities to advance. I had to leave due to personal reasons but certainly enjoyed my time there. Great company.
A company with some issues. The work was interesting and enjoyable but unfortunatley the middle management seem to made up of those who had been there for time instead of there on merit. Large egos and personalities inplace of competence. Poor salaries also means you get what you pay for.
Very diverse and dynamic company.

It can be great to start a career here.

Interesting changes being made.

Some good ventures are being undertaken.

Watch out for ruts.
A variety of interesting defence challenges around the world. Motivated deep subject matter experts and interesting colleagues but at times flawed and distant leadership.
A fair review based on the culture there and the working environment. Due to changes in warfare the role and most of the site was mothballed. Other than that it was a grade 1 job.
Always a lot going on and plenty to keep you busy. It can be frustrating in some roles where overstretch is persistent.
Collaboration is strong and a team ethos is prevalent even between the different teams where everyone wants to aid successful delivery of projects.
Really nice place to work on site cafe relaxed and very enjoying wish I was there now so easy smooth and loved it if u get a chance to work here grab it both hands
A company that offers a wide range of opportunities roles, locations, environments and management abilities. the customer base is expanding so these aspects are likely to increase.
Things take a long time to happen, lot of red tape, can be very frustrating, very high level security clearance needed for even very normal jobs, can be very "Old Fashioned"
I really liked the atmosphere at qinetiq. Would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone. Everyone there just worked so peacefully and calmly there was no rushing, (except for when the fire brigade comes in).
Management was shocking and disappointing. Several mangers were bullies and made several people leave.

High level managers were clueless in their approach to managing teams.

Staff are very closed and non friendly and don't like critical comments.
I tend to start early every day, and because I do this others tend to copy. I find that being able to lead from the front with an activity like this means I have rapport with my staff. Every day we have a stand up and review the previous day and what went well and what did not, we offer help to anybody that needs it then when everybody agrees the days tasks we proceed to enjoy the day by delivering the set objectives. We do not micro manage. On Mondays other stakeholders are invited to come.

The workplace has deliverables daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly. These are tabulated and agreed with the team and the appropriate tasks are handed out. These are part of the drumbeat daily etc etc.

My team covers bidding against new opportunities to the delivering and all aspects in between.

Communication is a must and find that weekly telecoms with our customers puts us in a position that there are "No Surprises".

The team are able to cover for leave and short bouts of sickness as and when this happens as we try to multitask our skill set, we also try to have some depth regarding succession planning and the team also take on the added duty of mentoring and coaching other staff in the business. This is a culture within QinetiQ and our department contributes to this to make sure we can understand others skills within the business that we may be able to draw down on should this be necessary. This has mutual benefits

The question was what is the hardest part of the job, this aligns with the most rewarding. I find managing people and bringing out the best in them is
 - more...
after a shot experience I was introduced into the typical office life and I learnt lots about science through tours. the people are very friendly. comfortable work environment
I was employed as a temp for 2 - 4 weeks but ended up working there for 16 weeks hoping that a permanent position would become available. Unfortunately there wasn't a suitable role for me in the longterm though I was told I was unable to apply for one position that did arise since I was not an employer of the company but of the temp agency.
Lots of flag waving, however no substance in the middle management application of its own policies. Not a place for accepting newcomers. As a veteran felt like a complete outsider and after 2 years had enough, even resignation not acknowledged!
Very unreliable company where job security isn’t guaranteed in the career that you want. Tend to be pushed into a office role even though this is clearly something that you don’t want. Very unorganised management.
Most recent I worked on a 2 month project on a WPF windows application called SAM. It was developed with Dev Express and uses the Dev express controls. I was responsible for studying and interpreting the application requirement since it’s a UI application and coming up with a standard strategy document, Test plan, requirement estimation and the BDD framework development for the UI automation of the application using specflow, C#, Appium Webdriver and Nunit.
Can be a great place to work and teams can often socialise together. Staff are welcoming to new team members and are effective at forming long term friendships.

Individual contributors are shown that their efforts are appreciated. It is possible to get stuck in a rut though as with any employer, and every employee has to think about when their value and their employers value from them are inconsistent.
I have worked for QinetiQ for a long time but still recognise a great company when i see it: the work we do can be unique always interesting with great enthused teams working there. I have always been rewarded and recognised for my performance and health and Safety always comes first.
I would recommend anyone to come and work for them.
Pros
Loads, far to many just to list
Cons
Walking around work areas that are “site of Special Scientific Interest” (SSSI), see rare birds, flowers, mammals, insects.
Official response from QinetiQ
10 July 2019
We are a special company doing special things...kind of addictive doing unique work with great people. We are all on a journey to bring more value to our country and our customers.

We are proud of our environmental record and are always looking to improve. We take our responsibilities seriously as custodians of the many SSSIs and remote habitats that we look after.
In my opinion I enjoyed my work experience at QinetiQ it opened my eyes and cleared my path more and learned new things and was opened to more of the engineering sectors as there loads my interest were above and beyond everyday being there for my work experience helped me a lot I would recommend it for jobs or apprenticeship.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Tutors are not stable
Official response from QinetiQ
10 July 2019
Thank you for your opinion. We are delighted that you enjoyed your QinetiQ experience which clearly broadened and developed your skills to set you up for your future vocation. We are looking to reinvigorate our apprenticeship programme to provide a modern learning environment. QinetiQ has active apprenticeship/graduate schemes and more can be found at www.QinetiQ.com