QinetiQ Employee Reviews

Productive Place
UI AUTOMATION TESTER (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire16 September 2019
Most recent I worked on a 2 month project on a WPF windows application called SAM. It was developed with Dev Express and uses the Dev express controls. I was responsible for studying and interpreting the application requirement since it’s a UI application and coming up with a standard strategy document, Test plan, requirement estimation and the BDD framework development for the UI automation of the application using specflow, C#, Appium Webdriver and Nunit.
Great Place to work
Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex8 July 2019
I have worked for QinetiQ for a long time but still recognise a great company when i see it: the work we do can be unique always interesting with great enthused teams working there. I have always been rewarded and recognised for my performance and health and Safety always comes first.
I would recommend anyone to come and work for them.
Pros
Loads, far to many just to list
Cons
Walking around work areas that are “site of Special Scientific Interest” (SSSI), see rare birds, flowers, mammals, insects.
10 July 2019

We are a special company doing special things...kind of addictive doing unique work with great people. We are all on a journey to bring more value to our country and our customers.

We are proud of our environmental record and are always looking to improve. We take our responsibilities seriously as custodians of the many SSSIs and remote habitats that we look after.

Teamwork and productive
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Amesbury7 July 2019
In my opinion I enjoyed my work experience at QinetiQ it opened my eyes and cleared my path more and learned new things and was opened to more of the engineering sectors as there loads my interest were above and beyond everyday being there for my work experience helped me a lot I would recommend it for jobs or apprenticeship.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Tutors are not stable
10 July 2019

Thank you for your opinion. We are delighted that you enjoyed your QinetiQ experience which clearly broadened and developed your skills to set you up for your future vocation. We are looking to reinvigorate our apprenticeship programme to provide a modern learning environment. QinetiQ has active apprenticeship/graduate schemes and more can be found at www.QinetiQ.com

Capability Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Halstead, Kent30 June 2019
Fabulous place to work. I only left because they closed our office.

Work life balance is encouraged.

Career development is top notch.

People are excellent.
Pros
Pragmatic management. Good career structure.
Cons
None really.
10 July 2019

Thank you very much for your feedback, we are pleased you had a really positive experience with QinetiQ. We wish you the very best for your future.

Awful. Bullying. Horrible.
Managing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Farnborough2 June 2019
A disgusting horrible bullying culture. HR absolutely appalling. I saw many staff who had given years of good service to the company belittled and discredited when the company no longer wanted them, often due to economic circumstances beyond their control. Rather than pay redundancy HR made up cases against people and destroyed them. Under Leo in particular that was a common tactic. So many cases of people suffering stress, and even deaths from stress related illnesses.
Pros
Few
Cons
Vile management.
10 July 2019

I empathise, although this is not the QinetiQ that I experience on a daily basis. Today's QinetiQ is exciting, innovative and we have a focus on well-being. Integrity is a core value which I see every day and we are encouraged to do the right thing.

top heavy managment
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Boscombe Down14 May 2019
there seems to be a lot of people who do very little and get away with it on a daily basis.

Managers are risk adverse and there are too many meaning decision making is slow and finding the correct person to talk to difficult.

Culture of laziness in places due to no reward for working hard and no punishment for working slowly. why bother when you aren't recognised.

great place to start off at learning new skills and great place to work towards retirement thanks to good schemes. potential to move up in the right places if you get lucky.

There are no difficulties and there in lays the problem. if you cant be challenged to do good work then you just coast through daily

The work is enjoyable and fun but there isn't enough of it
Pros
good share and pension schemes, easy and flexible work
Cons
pay isn't great
10 July 2019

I see that you're an apprentice and am delighted to know that you've had a great learning experience. It's great to see that you're ambitious and driven and want to grow and explore the wider QinetiQ.

We are working hard to transform our company to be much more performance driven and we've just had our 3rd year of growth. But that said we have further to go and are moving fast.

The bar is being raised along with appropriate support. The opportunities are there - aim high.

To many chiefs and not enough indians
Etc (Current Employee) –  Shoeburyness, Essex14 May 2019
Pay is disgraceful and does not reflect the work you are doing. To many management making up new rules to make the normal workers day even harder than it has to be. Management do this to warrant why they get paid so highly to sit in an office drinking tea all day.
You are also encouraged to grass up each other to warrant a really bad pay rise at the end of the year, this in turn puts all workers on edge and makes everyone distrust the next person. Also bully tactics are put into place if your face does not fit and you are reprimanded if you take holiday leave or go sick. Old school mentality across the board and becoming worse by the day.
Pros
Finish on a friday at 12:30pm
Cons
Management are a disgrace
10 July 2019

Thank you for your feedback. QinetiQ has a zero tolerance policy towards bullying and there are processes in place to address issues in confidence, where they arise. Please do use this facility being assured that this issue will be addressed robustly. QinetiQ prides itself on its fairness and there is a balanced reward package which is applied equitably across all employees. Again, there are grievance procedures to address any issues and fairness in the administration of pay and performance processes. We would strongly encourage you to use one of the many routes available to you to report this issue: speak to your manager, get in touch with HR, or call our ethics hotline to discuss the issues you are experiencing, and see how we can help to resolve your current situation.

Old Boys network culture
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boscombe Down12 November 2018
Old fashioned, old-boys' network is very pervasive in the company culture at Qinetiq, and my main reason for leaving.

If you're a woman, disabled, from any other minority background: expect to witness lots of examples of discrimination.
10 July 2019

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are disappointed to hear that you had such a poor work experience during your time with QinetiQ.

Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the forefront of our company.
Your experience is not the one we want people to feel when working for QinetiQ. We are committed to creating a diverse company with an inclusive environment where everyone can contribute and reach their full potential.
We wish you the very best for your future.

fab place
Deployment Engineer (Former Employee) –  Malvern, Worcestershire18 October 2018
great place to work,very relaxed easy going and helpful staff. as a contrator I was made to feel part of the team very quick.

It was a joy and a plesure to work there.
Pros
great staff
Cons
non
The only constant is change
private (Current Employee) –  private16 October 2018
I worked in the LTPA part of QinetiQ, this has a hangover of life as a government department and as such in the time i worked there has been subject to near constant change and overhaul to make it more profitable and run more like a business. There were many opertunities for advancement and development but only if you are willing to move around and relocate to the work, you'll often be stuck in waiting for some 'dead mans shoes' if you stay in one place.
the salary were generally just below market due to the 'downsizing' but this may change going forward as the business sustains its recent growth.
the non monetary benefits availability differs wildly site to site so be careful if you are working on a Range away from the main QinetiQ sites.
Pros
Excellent work and job satisfaction
10 July 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are pleased that you feel that you are being given the opportunity to do excellent work and are satisfied in your role. QinetiQ is growing rapidly into a successful global business and therefore must adapt to changing markets and ways of working. We are always looking to offer the best possible reward and incentives to our employees and believe we are competitive in this respect.

Exciting
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Farnborough28 September 2018
This 2 week experience allowed me to see the engineering world. As I experienced this during my school time, I new very little about what engineering can achieve. I was able to help set up a test within the noise test facility in QinetiQ. his allowed me to see how they set up the equipment to test the noise direction of an aeroplane engine. I was able to help a employee attach microphones in specific locations (which I calculated myself), through the use of a cherry picker. With engineering being one of my passions, being apart of a large test, such as that, was a great experience.
The employees that were with me through that experience were kind, and made me feel welcome.
I would like to work for QinetiQ again, and be apart of other projects.
17 July 2019

We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted that you had a great experience, and we are passionate about bringing engineering to life. Please keep in touch, as we would like to keep you up to date with our exciting career opportunities.

Worst place ever for career progression ( UK ).
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  UK21 June 2018
Any UK Offices outside of the big 'three' - Farnborough, Malvern and Boscombe are ignored for onward progression of any of their staff. In my experience expensive contractors have been employed who have either criminal records against their name or who have falsified their job applications in order to hide a myriad of 'conflicts of interest'.
Pros
All of the cleaning staff.
Cons
Too many glass ceilings.
17 July 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective with us. We recognise that career progression within QinetiQ has been a challenge over the past years. Career pathways and development plans are a current priority for us. This is for all our sites in the UK and worldwide, who we strongly value. In addition, we have a strongly embedded sense of values and code of conduct, together with robust safeguarding and vetting processes we use when engaging all our employees and contractors. We believe it is very unlikely the employment issues you have raised will have occurred, however, we take these issues extremely seriously. If you are willing to contact us directly and in confidence with further details, we will investigate them further. And we agree, our cleaning staff are great!

Revolving door management
Head of Cyber, Security & Influence (Former Employee) –  London18 May 2018
A great company with historical significance to our country. The mismanagement when going private damaged this organisation and the constantly changing management further hurts the business.
It's a shame because the staff are dedicated, intelligent and hardworking.
A steady hand at the helm would significantly boost the moral and delivery.
Pros
Heritage and dedicated staff
Cons
Managment
10 July 2019

Thank you very much for your feedback and acknowledging the great heritage of our company. We recognise there have been significant challenges following privatisation. Since 2015 we have had far greater consistency in our leadership and management teams with clear vision and direction.

We have, and continue to, invest in our company leadership and management with a number of development programmes across the business which are producing positive results in our engagement feedback.

Like you, we recognise the dedication, intelligence and hard work of our people and we are very proud of what we do and our contribution to National Defence and Security.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Great Place to learn
Enterprise build engineer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire29 March 2018
Working for QQ is a brilliant place to learn and enhance new skills. As an IT engineer the team I was with helped developed my IT knowledge as well as given me the opportunity to progress within the company
Pros
Great for development
Cons
Project time scales
Pretty dead end organisation
Acoustic engineer (Current Employee) –  UK27 March 2018
The company is laid back and stable, but that ends up meaning that you should not expect to progress in your career, especially if in an engineering or science role. Lower level managers have mostly been in-post since the days of QinetiQ being in the civil service, and are generally there by virtue of time served rather than any talent. As a result, team members do not receive the support or direction they require, and senior managers' well meaning intentions to improve the company are poorly implemented. Bad for the employees and bad for the shareholders.
Pros
Easy news
Cons
No progression
Old fashioned.
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnborough15 March 2018
The company is not ready for the 21st Century. Significant changes in organisation and process are required before they will be able to move towards their desired aim of implementing an advanced ERP system.
Good atmosphere, but a large organization
PE research contractor (Former Employee) –  UK9 December 2017
Interesting work and free thinking environment - fantastic learning environment. My team was concerned about the ratio of meetings to work, possibly academically top-heavy company., leaving research teams struggling for technicians and craftsmen.
Pros
Great Modern Environment
Cons
Lack of support craftsmen
Difficult enviroment
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire30 November 2017
The company is going through a lot of change and constantly changing direction without bringing people on side which makes it a challenging environment
Continual state of transformation
Technical Training Manager - QinetiQ Academy (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire28 November 2017
Qinetiq are in a continual state of transformation. While the executive group have a vision of the future, this is not transferred to all levels of the business.
Feels like no one cares
unknown (Current Employee) –  England11 November 2017
All I feel I should say is that this has not been an enjoyable experience for me. I would not recommend QinetiQ as a place of work. However, I would recommend QinetiQ for there great R & D department and training facilities for pilots and astronauts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at QinetiQ. Our community is ready to answer.