Pure Gym Employee Reviews

Very Hostile
Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester21 November 2019
I only say this, because with my experience working there I felt as if I was working rent to rent.

The rent due dates where inconsistent, I was not made aware of this making working here less enjoyable.
Very well
Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames18 November 2019
Very good place to work. The gym is very big. Got Different rooms for different kind of work outs and different kind of machines. Is very well designed
Confusing
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire7 November 2019
Very difficult to make money as they only way is it be a personal trainer and bring in clients I think you should get paid for the classes you do. Was a good place just poor pay and backward shifts
Not the Best
Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Eccles, Greater Manchester28 October 2019
As an entry level job into the industry it’s ok but comes with a lot of cons that outweigh the pros.

Firstly the pay is ridiculous and unsustainable even if you don’t live by yourself, £500 a month is the amount you have to Pay Pure in rent which is almost the same as rent for a house/ apartment.

Secondly the members of staff and the gym members themselves will dictate whether you will stay or leave. I got along with every PT except for one who acted like she was the manager when she wasn’t, she bullied other members of staff and spread rumours and gossip about staff & gym members.

Finally the cleaning of the gym. While on shift you are required to clean the gym floor to maintain good etiquette and overall cleanliness, while I agree with helping a little bit, the gym has no punishment for those who don’t clean after themselves which then falls to us to do it. I’ve pulled muscles and almost injured myself during this process which is a joke but still nothing changes.

Pure gym can be a good work place if you get the right balance of a good team, great members and a constant flow of clients but realistically that will never happen.
Pros
Free Gym membership
Cons
Everything else
Positive and professional environment.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne25 October 2019
The management and personal trainers are all great to work with and the facilities/equipment are modern and well maintained. PureGym is a great place to work and train at.
I think it was a good and helpful experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Belfast20 October 2019
Overall good learned a lot 9f new things while at the gym, the equipment is always clean and safe which I think is a big factor, was a good experience
very relaxed place to work
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds16 October 2019
A typical day is very busy but also very relaxed, music in the office. people are overall very friendly although the higher management could do with playing a more active role in the day to day processes in each department as these cause major problems
Fun workplace
Personal Trainer and Gym Instructor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow15 October 2019
Very difficult to make enough money- income is not guaranteed so difficult to budget. Work with good people and good management. Learn a lot about personal trining.
Love the place
Assistant Gym Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh11 September 2019
I love the culture of this job and gives a good sense of job satisfaction. The work / life balance is great as it doesn't feel like work when you enjoy what you are doing.
Pros
culture
Cons
salary
It’s going to be ok...
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 August 2019
As someone who is new to working in gyms my excitement and enthusiasm has dipped over the last 2-3 months.
I have learnt a lot in terms of instructing/coaching/training members & clients and have enjoyed most of my shifts. I have found recently business wise my online business is doing better at picking up clients versus being in the gym. The PTs I work with we’re all friendly and welcoming but when it came to asking advice tax/insurance/difficult clients or members etc (when I was new to the PT world) it’s was hard getting any advice or even a response.

My cons are based mainly at the PureGym I work at, when equipment breaks (mainly because members are not using it safely/properly) it’s the PTs who get blamed for not completing thorough checks or when you have classes that run back to back you are pulled for not completing hourly toilet checks but the one that irritates me the most is when members are rude or complain etc the GM/AGM never sticks up for you or defends you. It can feel like you are paying rent to be somewhere that’s has no respect for staff. You can assume most members won’t understand the pay structure so they feel they can complain regularly or demand more.

I do plan to leave before my licence fee is due, I’m happy that I’ve worked in a gym for the experience and will probably happier once I leave.
Great bunch of guys, no career progression
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Scotland7 August 2019
This is my 2nd stint at Puregym, and on a whole, it's been a mostly enjoyable experience. Love the guys I work with but it's almost impossible to move into the management side of the company.

Be prepared to work anti-social shifts - you'll work anywhere between 6am and 10pm and this applies to Xmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. This place doesn't close at all and only guarantee you a single day off - Xmas Day.

Holiday's are few and far between - being self-employed you don't get paid anyway, but trying to arrange shift cover is a stressful task as it means other PT's working extra shifts to cover you and vice-versa. I've had 6 days off all year as I couldn't find cover for a morning shift.

Career progression is pretty much a non-event - it seems to be who you know rather than what you know. As one of the more experienced PT's who knows the company inside out and have been successful at running two PT businesses, I've been declined on a number of occasions for AGM/GM positions that come up. However, I've seen less experienced colleagues been given these positions. Plus PureGym tend to recruit their managers from outwith the company.

I would say PureGym is a good company to begin your career at, but if you're more experienced, do not use them to "enhance" your career/business.
Perfect
Personal Trainer and Fitness structor (Current Employee) –  Derby8 July 2019
It helps that the mangemt are superb at derby . Great help and always willing to listen and understand . In this industry you get out what you put in . Work hard and the rewards are great .
Pros
Free marketing while on shift
Cons
Uniform
Poor management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge7 July 2019
Ok so you will be promised the earth in terms of support but you will be lucky to get a brief chat.

The favourites will do poor cleaning tasks and lounge about but get away with it whilst you try harder to promote the values setout by pure gym.

Turnover is high for a reason and simply poor managment and lack of care towards staff, save your time and money and go elsewhere.
Pros
Free use of gym.
Cons
£250 Admin signing up fee+ you dont get paid for hours you work for the gym, but thats if you go rent free.
Job Review
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 April 2019
Good place to work, good support network if you are starting out. Had issues with number of staff to cover shifts as a lot left in a short period of time. It meant the remaining four gym staff were working double or triples shift to cover empty slot and did not get paid.
Senior Coach
Gym Instructor and Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London21 February 2019
Organising classes
Training for new classes
Cleaning and Maintaining equipment
Health Checks for customers
Standing in for DGM when they weren't at the gym
Pros
Variety at the job
Cons
Breaks in between classes
Demanding Workplace
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  West Bromwich, West Midlands20 February 2019
Salary is good but hours can be demanding. Can start as early as 6am and finish as late at 10pm. An overall day will include a 5 hour shift and training clients around your shift times. Expect to clean equipment, teach classes, tidy up gym floor and communicate with members in order to build your PT business. Do not believe anyone who says there’s no money to be made in PureGym. Because there is, and I’ve made a lot of money working here however it’s not sustainable. The hours you work are very demanding and you can expect to work long days. Clients won’t come easy as you will have to build your business in order to become a busy trainer. There’s only so long you’ll be able to work here until you either burn out or get fed up of the place.
Pros
Good pay, manage your own hours, unlimited earning potential
Cons
Long days, bad management, bad communication
good
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Belfast3 February 2019
pure gym was god too work for but working for yourself was stressful because you didn't know what your standard wage would be for that week as you get paid by clients you get yourself
Exploitative and non-productive use of your time
Self Employed Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  London16 January 2019
If you are an aspiring or even an experienced Personal Trainer. I would strongly urge you to STAY AWAY from Pure Gym. The bald truth is that there is absolutely NO market for PT's at Pure Gym. Quite frankly I find it hard to believe that the corporate structure of Pure Gym do not know this seeing as they market their gyms as "no frills" They use the cover of "self-employed" Personal Trainer to get out of paying for staff and get you to instruct their FREE fitness classes, which is a major selling point for many members who join the gym

If you feel you absolutely have to work there then make sure you have a least 6 months salary saved up AND have a part-time job or you will be staring poverty in the face real soon.

Don't be taken in by the bs that you can earn 20,000+ you'll be lucky to earn half of that
Pros
You can work out for free, relative freedom to set your own hours (once you have completed your mandatory shifts that is)
Cons
Almost everything else, little chance to make money
Easygoing environment
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Granton, City of Edinburgh14 January 2019
Since I arrived there I got approached to all the staff very easy.
Everyone is very friendly to me and that motivate me to give my best in every shift.
Productive and fun workplace
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 January 2019
Very good opportunities to expand your business. Friendly atmosphere. Great location. Great equipment. Flexible hours. Open 24 hours seven days a week.