Public Health England Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly enviroment
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central12 June 2018
Great place to work health and safety was excellent plenty of breaks brilliant social circle good chance of promotion and good training. Excellent facilities
Pros
Fun place to work
workplace
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bradford16 May 2018
Administration everyday task :
letters ,phones, txt,
book appointments via S1
Finance side of job - invoices to be checked and inputted
mail merges to GP, send out information to the GP of data that we had recieved for them to be able to send out invoices
The work colleges were lovely and friendly
the hardest part of my job was not being able to ever improve myself with a proper qualification that would help me move up the ladder
Cons
limited jobs part time in certain roles, .
Good work, bad career
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 April 2018
Good place to work but little in the way of advancement opportunities. Flexible hours were nice. Salary okay. Middle management were a bit cliquey and not nice to people outside clique.
Good organisation
Category Lead (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 April 2018
Good Organisation, company has exciting dynamic and complex environment.

I shaped the organisation and procurement is in forefront of transformation and alignment with business needs.
Contractor
Commercial Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 March 2018
As a contractor I found PHE to be a good place to work in general and a good career experience.
Bearing in mind this still a fairly young government organisation it operates at highly professional standard.
Pros
Professional Standards
Great People with potential
IS & IT Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London23 January 2018
Often busy with projects and BAU
learned to deal with difficult situations.
Worked with the management structure which changed frequently
Organisational culture in development due to merging of several ALB's into PHE
Difficulties with providing continued work flow due to equipment limitations and fit for purpose equipment
Working with the staff user base and providing one to one support to users
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
To much change
Interesting people and projects
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  London12 October 2017
PHE has good pay and working hours, you have to work with very talented and interesting people whom are at the top of their field. There is a good job satisfaction when working at PHE because you know that you are working towards improving people's lives.
Pros
Interesting out of office jobs
Cons
poor job security
Civil Service
Regional Finance Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds26 September 2017
Good financial organisation. Difficult to move up band, not automatic only small percentage can progress up each year, when given excellent in appraisal.
Fun and great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham28 August 2017
We researched what the publics health was like in the U.K. We had conversations with those that work there and told us what and how they contribute to helping the the health of all the people in the U.K.
Awful miserable place with non caring directors/deputy directors
Non-clinical role (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire18 August 2017
Worked here for 8 years and the place went from bad to worse. Clinical staff paid to "direct" with no apparent skills or qualifications in management, let alone strategy or directing human beings. A lot of the staff were miserable and stressed and whilst the work in itself was interesting, however hard you try, the people and process get you down. Directors/deputy directors turn a blind eye to this and stamp their feet to get what they want. Bad place to work .
Pros
Type of work interesting
Cons
Directors and deputy directors have no human qualities, of apparent management experience-they are clinical
Challenging opportunity
Buyer (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Harwell, Oxfordshire4 August 2017
I was a contractor but the pay for permanent member of staff was poor so when the option came I did not take it.

My duties included raising purchase orders for higher value requisitions after ensuring they met the regulations.
come to a meeting again.....
Various Roles (Former Employee) –  Northern England20 July 2017
Pros – good if you like going to meetings, team building exercises, over complicating statistics, rail travel to London.

Cons – over staffed and large amount of work is created by internal processes and meetings rather than the public good. 7 year pay freeze, London centred, very left leaning, and cringe worthy amounts of virtue signalling. Good also if you want to continue your academic career your colleagues can pick up after you whilst you do your own thing. Public Health England is 1/3 genuinely caring people who wish to make a change, 1/3 woolly liberals who like meetings and would be unemployed otherwise, 1/3 career types who no longer use the English language in the same context as ordinary people understand it.
Cons
lots of meetings
Supportive
Biomedical Scientist (Former Employee) –  Whitechapel then Colindale21 June 2017
Typical day at work includes grasping the primary, once you have understood this then you understand the Hain then appreciate the DSTs and possibly the third lines DSTs.
The management and team is very supportive understanding and loyal.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Work is time dependant, i.e. Hain. The earlier you start the better.
Professional place of work
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Porton Down, Wiltshire15 June 2017
Good culture of training and developing new staff.Large organisation but with a friendly atmosphere. Varied work that is both challenging and interesting.
Occasionally long hours and career progression can be slow due to government cuts and downsizing.
Pros
Good culture, development opportunities
Cons
Poor career progression
Better off working in the NHS
Biomedical Scientist- Molecular Laboratory (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 May 2017
If you're looking to become a Biomedical Scientist look elsewhere, the NHS for instance. Staff there are paid quite a bit more, therefore PHE suffers from staff retention and the employment of new staff. A while ago laboratory staff were changed to civil service staffing structure. Due to the threat of closure we chose not to change to new terms and conditions as the redundancy package was far worse. No pay rise since 2014. Low and behold they are changing the lab management to an NHS provider which has no obligation to increase our pay. As a civil servant you are required to take meaningless courses on nothing to do with your actual job, more office based courses which are compulsory and useless. Management either don't know what is going on or lie. The list goes on...
Pros
Enjoy the actual work
Cons
interesting work that is dealt with - protecting the nation's health
surveillance officer (Current Employee) –  seaton house, Nottingham24 May 2017
Health protection work is interesting and often changing. Most people are lovely to work with and the values are good. I have worked for PHE for 11 years - there have been so many changes in the job role plus the location has changed twice. I have adapted to the changes and the move.
Pros
good salary
Cons
travelling to Nottingham every day too much
High workload, lack of recognition, poor management
Biomedical Scientist (Current Employee) –  Southampton24 May 2017
The organisation as a whole is more concerned with public image than staff, which are their best asset. The pay for a BMS is less than NHS, and job adverts give the impression that pay is on a scale depending on experience. This is not the case, and you do not move up the pay scale unless you are excellent in your appraisal. Only 3% of civil servants are 'allowed' to be awarded excellent, and evidence must be approved. MLA salary is less than what you would earn at a supermarket. Plus you loose your NHS T&C and pension. There is so much bureaucracy- this is something PHE do well! Workload is High, poorly organised and very stressful. Staff are constantly dumped on & morale is exceptionally low. We are all looking for employment elsewhere. The average turn around of staff is 18 months. Get experience then leave is my recommendation.
Pros
Good for experience
Cons
Too many to write!
If you like not feeling valued, this is for you
Assistant Healthcare Scientist (Former Employee) –  London3 May 2017
The company is more interested in constantly changing the names of the departments that you are working in or moving your place of work than actually keeping staff. Nobody feels valued. Having started in June and the yearly appraisals being in May, I had to wait a whole 23 months before I got my lousy 1% pay rise. The high up management are constantly trying to feed you jargon about what the company is doing, where in reality they are lying to you and selling you out to save money. For a company that is supposed to embrace staff advancement, I wasn't allowed to train for a role above me because it wasn't required for my current role. Go figure.
Pros
Hometime
Cons
I don't have enough space to type.
No comment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 March 2017
The organisation ethos is fine but as with most jobs it is entirely dependent on your team and attitude of those senior to you
Cold and Boring
Administrator/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Porton Down, Wiltshire7 February 2017
Work area very cold.
Staff individually very helpful, but collectively appear unhappy with their workload.
As a short term contractor, I was often left with very little to do, as the permanent staff did not have time to instruct in all aspects or procedures of the job.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
It was cold