Public Health England Employee Reviews

Avoid it please! Go for NHS!
Biomedical Scientist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire15 October 2018
It needs a salary fair system like NHS. To stop retention, it is not fair for a BMS that have worked for PHE for example for 10 years and then have the same salary as a new starter. No increments, just the normal 1% that everyone in the country get. Even the enhancements are much better in NHS, it is not normal to have the same rate for a bank holiday and a Sunday.
The workload is just crazy with one BMS doing the job of 3, because there is people leaving every month because of the conditions and they never get replaced. It is exhausting and leaves no time for CPD and so on... There are no opportunities to go further on the career, people stay in the same band forever.
The appraisals are a joke, how do you want us to put effort if there are no rewards or increments?! So no one does it and everyone is demotivated.
Very busy and challenging
Health care scientist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge4 July 2018
Checked the rota to see on which bench I am assigned on that day.
You have to learn to be a multitasking person and remain focus .
We are assigned at different sections of the lab almost every single day. Which I like it an enjoy .

I have learned to prioritise my time and work at all time.
I have learned soecially here how important it is team work because we apply it here 24/7 every week .

The management is good specially the duty managers . We have a 10 min handover meeting from the night shift to the day shifts staff.

Very multicultural workplace and everybody is included .

Hardest part of the work are the night shift where we do not have a lot of staff.

Most enjoyable is team work sections. All people are very good team players and make the place a nice place to work even the secretaries are wonderful.
Pros
Very good training
Cons
low salary for Cambridge area
Good work, bad career
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 April 2018
Good place to work but little in the way of advancement opportunities. Flexible hours were nice. Salary okay. Middle management were a bit cliquey and not nice to people outside clique.
Living a horrible personal "downstairs" everyday
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Public Health England Colindale21 January 2019
When I started, fresh out of university, I hoped I would get tons of experience. Everyone had heard of PHE. I dreamed to be part of it. Over 2 years that dream came crashing down. People are nice, but the workload put on us with little to no care for how much pressure people are under is appalling! The overstressed workers lead to poor morale amongst employees and eventually confrontations between the least confrontational of people. It is upsetting. But no one who has the power to change anything cares enough about it to do anything.
Appraisals are done stupidly with tick lists where nobody can achieve any of their appraisal tasks because their day to day tasks are so overwhelming! So everyone has poor appraisals! So NOBODY rises amongst the ranks and everyone is stuck! this is a terrible environment.
There is so much work that you can't get any extra training to progress as there is no time for training! you are stuck!
Nobody stays at PHE due to overworking people and hard deadlines on people. It is toxic.
Pros
Nice people - who unfortunately don't stay
Cons
Overworked so toxic environment
good work life balance
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Suffolk11 December 2018
flexible hours ,general fetching supplies,loading / unloading analyzing
robots,
stock checks .booking in via spread sheets of samples . working in an aseptic environment .
Pros
1 hour for lunch two tea breaks
Cons
authoritarian culture
Fun workplace
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 September 2018
Great place to work, nice friendly atmosphere and room for progression.
Management give chance to learn via rotation, A good sense of teamwork and development opportunities.
Good
Screening and Immunization Placement (Former Employee) –  Bristol, UK22 January 2019
This was an excellent experience. I learnt a lot and improved my skills and data collection techniques. Also taught me how to synthesize data and apply practical
Learned a lot in this position
Placement Intern (Former Employee) –  London25 July 2018
I worked here as an intern for work placement with my college course. I learned a lot of valuable information and the working environment was good. The people were very friendly and helpful too.
Pros
Free lunch
Great organisation, but detached
Interim Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury22 February 2019
The organisation is working towards great things, but it's so big and detached from itself it's so difficult to be heard. Some really good people in the organisation.
Supportive, productive and intellectually and professionally stimulating and rewarding organisation to work for
Consultant Communicable Disease Control (Current Employee) –  Nottingham8 February 2018
Workplace culture is very transparent with an ethos of working hard to reduce inequalities and improve and protect the population's health.

Colleagues are supportive, there is an excellent work life balance with an element of fun and personal development

A day in the life of a Consultant Communicable Disease Control can be very variable, exciting, challenging and rewarding all in one.

PHE Behaviours include:
work together, not undermine each other
speak well of each other, in public and private
consistently spend our time on what we say we care about
behave well, especially when things go wrong
keep our promises, small or large
High workload, lack of recognition, poor management
Biomedical Scientist (Current Employee) –  Southampton24 May 2017
The organisation as a whole is more concerned with public image than staff, which are their best asset. The pay for a BMS is less than NHS, and job adverts give the impression that pay is on a scale depending on experience. This is not the case, and you do not move up the pay scale unless you are excellent in your appraisal. Only 3% of civil servants are 'allowed' to be awarded excellent, and evidence must be approved. MLA salary is less than what you would earn at a supermarket. Plus you loose your NHS T&C and pension. There is so much bureaucracy- this is something PHE do well! Workload is High, poorly organised and very stressful. Staff are constantly dumped on & morale is exceptionally low. We are all looking for employment elsewhere. The average turn around of staff is 18 months. Get experience then leave is my recommendation.
Pros
Good for experience
Cons
Too many to write!
More oportunity
Assistant Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London3 October 2018
This place gave me lots experience with hospitality Staff. People friendly nice and with kindness. Hollidays when I needed straight away I got. I really can Day this is Good place for everyone who Love looking and express self.
Okay but could be much better
Trainee Biomedical Scientist (Former Employee) –  61 Colindale Ave, London NW9 5EQ26 August 2018
Government cuts affect all departments, not much room for progression the ceiling is quite low. The people are friendly and willing to help. The workload can be overbearing if your department suffers from cuts as there aren't enough to do the work.
Productive and friendly enviroment
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester Central12 June 2018
Great place to work health and safety was excellent plenty of breaks brilliant social circle good chance of promotion and good training. Excellent facilities
Pros
Fun place to work
workplace
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bradford16 May 2018
Administration everyday task :
letters ,phones, txt,
book appointments via S1
Finance side of job - invoices to be checked and inputted
mail merges to GP, send out information to the GP of data that we had recieved for them to be able to send out invoices
The work colleges were lovely and friendly
the hardest part of my job was not being able to ever improve myself with a proper qualification that would help me move up the ladder
Cons
limited jobs part time in certain roles, .
interesting work that is dealt with - protecting the nation's health
surveillance officer (Current Employee) –  seaton house, Nottingham24 May 2017
Health protection work is interesting and often changing. Most people are lovely to work with and the values are good. I have worked for PHE for 11 years - there have been so many changes in the job role plus the location has changed twice. I have adapted to the changes and the move.
Pros
good salary
Cons
travelling to Nottingham every day too much
Great People with potential
IS & IT Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London23 January 2018
Often busy with projects and BAU
learned to deal with difficult situations.
Worked with the management structure which changed frequently
Organisational culture in development due to merging of several ALB's into PHE
Difficulties with providing continued work flow due to equipment limitations and fit for purpose equipment
Working with the staff user base and providing one to one support to users
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
To much change
Contractor
Commercial Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 March 2018
As a contractor I found PHE to be a good place to work in general and a good career experience.
Bearing in mind this still a fairly young government organisation it operates at highly professional standard.
Pros
Professional Standards
Inclusive and rewarding
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nottingham28 February 2018
A supportive place to work, they were keen to support your career development. My role was really enjoyable and I learnt a lot within a short space of time. PHE are keen to support flexible working.
If you like not feeling valued, this is for you
Assistant Healthcare Scientist (Former Employee) –  London3 May 2017
The company is more interested in constantly changing the names of the departments that you are working in or moving your place of work than actually keeping staff. Nobody feels valued. Having started in June and the yearly appraisals being in May, I had to wait a whole 23 months before I got my lousy 1% pay rise. The high up management are constantly trying to feed you jargon about what the company is doing, where in reality they are lying to you and selling you out to save money. For a company that is supposed to embrace staff advancement, I wasn't allowed to train for a role above me because it wasn't required for my current role. Go figure.
Pros
Hometime
Cons
I don't have enough space to type.