Public Health England

Public Health England Employee Reviews

United Kingdom70 reviews
Productive, thoughtful workplace
Working across the administration departments I am pleased to work a variety of helpful, positive people in a collaborative environment and would recommend the institution as a place to work.
Relaxed and convenient
Flexible and relaxed working hours
Very difficult to advance pisition

Very friendly and welcoming.

Good onsite facilities

Enjoyable work I learned alot
I loved my PHE job so much. Best managers I ever had in my life.
Great colleagues, supporting you at all time. I had to leave PHE due to low salaries.
Pleasant atmosphere, helpful staff on training.
Good working environment, excellent computer facilities.
enjoyable staff. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the work load in the 1st few days, but when the training was over it became simple. Flexible working hours excellent restaurant on site.
Productive and fun place to work
Great Learning and development opportunities. There is a work balance life. It is a very friendly working environment. An opportunity to for a career development.
efficent and effective work environment
I arrive at work before nine in the morning and I am .very punctual.
After arriving I head up to the lab, put on my lab coat and sanitize my hands. The next thing I do is start on the daily tasks and jobs that have deadlines and need to be completed.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
heavy work load
N/a
I'm only currently working at Public Health England and a temp on a 6month fixed term contract via a recruitment agency but I will say I am really enjoying my time here, everyone is so easy going and friendly and helpful.
Public health England executive agency civil service.
Work life balance good work from home. No stress loads of training good place to work people are friendly polite helpful no micro managing let you get on with your work very positively busy. PHE highly recommended.
Poor management made it a really bad experience
Bullying and victimisation runs through the veins of senior management and HR
A lot of union reps working hard on cases that they'll never resolve.

Employment tribunal taken out by a senior consultant was actually won and the organisation advised to review policies and train management.

Great if you have a good management team...not so good if unfortunate to work in a poor team or directorate.
Pros
Excellent learning and development opportunities
Cons
Poor management and bullying culture
challenging but rewarding
An array of opportunities to develop public health expertise
Pros
breadth of experience
Cons
inconsistent management
Secure work place.
Secure work place and very competitive salary in comparison to industry average.
Being public service organisation there is highly organised structure with all sort of procedures , rules, for every facet of work and behaviour.

Very diverse culture in terms or educational level and being scientific organisation many highly educated ( PHDs, MS) .
Good company and people
Big company good to work for and pleasant staff across the board. Although communications between teams and managers needs much improving . Hopefully this is picked up and will see change
productive and fun working environment
No one day is the same, supportive colleagues. management is visible so you always feel supported. The environment is fast pace. PHE embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity
Pros
great location
Cons
current building work at Welling House
Interesting and rewarding
I had plenty of opportunity for learning and working within a supportive team and with managers. Career progression is limited and salaries are pretty much frozen but that's public sector at the moment.
Pros
Flexible working, friendly colleagues
Cons
Limited progression
n/a
Best thing was being able to work from home frequently. Worse thing was no parking. Other people in the office were nice and friendly.................
very well off company
It's a very well organised company and runs Project SEARCH very well the managers Paul Laidler and Lynne Foster are very dedicated to Project SEARCH and that Project SEARCH is a great way of getting young adults with learning difficulties into full-time paid employment.
Good people
making the public healthier and reducing differences between the health of different groups by promoting healthier lifestyles, advising government and supporting action by local government, the NHS and the public
protecting the nation from public health hazards

preparing for and responding to public health emergencies

improving the health of the whole population by sharing our information and expertise, and identifying and preparing for future public health challenges

supporting local authorities and the NHS to plan and provide health and social care services such as immunisation and screening programmes, and to develop the public health system and its specialist workforce

researching, collecting and analysing data to improve our understanding of public health challenges, and come up with answers to public health problems
Great organisation, but detached
The organisation is working towards great things, but it's so big and detached from itself it's so difficult to be heard. Some really good people in the organisation.
Good
This was an excellent experience. I learnt a lot and improved my skills and data collection techniques. Also taught me how to synthesize data and apply practical
Living a horrible personal "downstairs" everyday
When I started, fresh out of university, I hoped I would get tons of experience. Everyone had heard of PHE. I dreamed to be part of it. Over 2 years that dream came crashing down. People are nice, but the workload put on us with little to no care for how much pressure people are under is appalling! The overstressed workers lead to poor morale amongst employees and eventually confrontations between the least confrontational of people. It is upsetting. But no one who has the power to change anything cares enough about it to do anything.
Appraisals are done stupidly with tick lists where nobody can achieve any of their appraisal tasks because their day to day tasks are so overwhelming! So everyone has poor appraisals! So NOBODY rises amongst the ranks and everyone is stuck! this is a terrible environment.

There is so much work that you can't get any extra training to progress as there is no time for training! you are stuck!

Nobody stays at PHE due to overworking people and hard deadlines on people. It is toxic.
Pros
Nice people - who unfortunately don't stay
Cons
Overworked so toxic environment
good work life balance
flexible hours ,general fetching supplies,loading / unloading analyzing
robots,

stock checks .booking in via spread sheets of samples . working in an aseptic environment .
Pros
1 hour for lunch two tea breaks
Cons
authoritarian culture
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Public Health England. Our community is ready to answer.