Provident Financial Employee Reviews

Great Job!
Senior Finance Officer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire11 February 2019
Daily tasks are enjoyable, lots to learn and challenge. Surrounded by kind and supportive colleagues. Tough environment due to new Regulations but opens great opportunities.
no review
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradford7 February 2019
another company that does not exist. poor higher management , no support at branch level. out dated at the time. it has moved from self employed to employed
Avoid...
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheshire30 January 2019
The only positive was the training week which was fun, The training is nothing like the real world at Provident. They don't use the word "Targets" but they call it expectations. The Manager that was in my area was nice and friendly and the colleague I went out with the first day was nice and honest and I knew within 3 hours it was a mistake. Endless door knocking for people who avoid making payment but are clearly home. Trust me the customers that Provident supply know the rules and regulations better than anyone and it is soul destroying seeing people taking the absolute p*** out of you and the company.

Really do not work here unless you have a very very thick skin and are ready to be running around like a headless chicken day in and out.
Pros
Training Was Fun
Cons
Everything Else
Company undergoing change
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall15 January 2019
I was with Provident for 4 months and all the time I was with them was while the company was undergoing major changes. The local management were very good and cannot fault the support, however they were undergoing so many changes that the job role turned into something that was not recognizable to the one offered. Only reason I left was for a more stable job role.
Pros
Decent Package
Dont work here, they expect you to be in call 24/7
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside8 January 2019
Do not trust this company or job description, your salary will stay at 23000, it will not rise. Disgraceful non family friendly company. Management haven't got a clue what they're doing and are inconsistent
Pros
Nil
Cons
Plenty
Awful
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside23 December 2018
Where do I start with provident home credit. The very basics of the company is I resigned just recently 02/11/2018. I started off as a development manager with 9 self employed agents in 2016 not working for me but Provident. Things changed they made me redundant and re-employed me as a CEM. The worst mistake of my life. This is the worst job you will ever EVER do. No support. No common sense applied. Putting every customer in the same box. Loss of that personal touch. Voice recording every conversation with existing customers as a means to catch you out so they can bring you in on a investigation with a view to discipline you if you have said something that you shouldn't have. Long hours. works Phone never switched off. emails from head office any time of the day morning afternoon and evening. customers thinking they have a personal hotline to you requesting further lending. working Saturday's and not getting paid for them under the disguise of it's what your territory needs. business manager's who haven't got a clue telling you where you've gone wrong and these are just the good points of this position. Trust me 17 years in the business and this is as bad as it gets. Don't take this job. Speaking from years of experience.
Uncaring and lacks empathy
Cem (Current Employee) –  South14 December 2018
Lonely, no work home like balance. Only spoken too when you have done any thing wrong. 37.5 hours is a joke.
Holiday planning is dreadful
Management have no idea of the time of customers you deal with.
Bullied and lied into working 6 days
Meeting are unpaid.
Old agents paid loads more and seem to work less.
Pros
Zero
Cons
See above
Stressful and constantly changing
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland30 October 2018
Used to be a place that was enjoyable to work and somewhere you felt valued but for the last 2 years or so all that has changed and everyday brings changes without any sort of reason and staff are treated like dispensable non-worthy people with morale at rock bottom.

Provident pay well but there staff retention is poor mainly due to the constant pressure being on all levels of staff regarding sales/new customers and collections with the threat of "if we don't start to grow then we wont have a job!).

Despite working there for 9 years there is no loyalty shown to anyone and their is a constant threat hanging over you for your job.

Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Salary good
Cons
Work/life balance, threat of job being redundant, constant changes to policies and ways of working.
low morale
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland12 September 2018
Was good until re-modelling of structure. Went very wrong but could have been introduced better and lessen the predictable impact. The expectations of KPi's to be achieved are mostly unachievable, under the current trends.
Pros
reasonable salary.
Cons
No motivation from senior management
Fun place to work
Complaints SME & MI Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire4 September 2018
Nice offices and a friendly atmosphere. How you will get on is dependent on your role. At times slightly behind the times with their processes again depending on your role.

Want to know more about Provident Financial?

Ask a question
The worst company to work for!
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire9 August 2018
If you’re thinking of applying here, don’t. They give you 6 weeks of intense training and after that you’re completely on your own. No sign of support or help from any of the management, trying to get them to help is like taking candy off a baby! The management are bullies and will look down on you bad or good! it’s very cliquey and decisions are made based on managers personal opinions rather than professionalism. Team leaders just laze around all day talking in cliques rather than helping and supporting the group, if you actually do get their attention gosh it’s like you just committed a serious crime. Holidays/ time off will never be given unless they deem it extremely essential. Lunch breaks/ toilet breaks are to be the EXACT time they give, a minute over and they will note it down, of course this doesn’t apply to the management they come and go as they please. Not to mention how the company is to customers, complete loan sharks! False appts always given just to get customers off the phone. Overall just a nasty nasty place to work, the wage isn’t worth the amount of work you’re doing on a day to day fix up your management seriously and change the whole business!
Pros
£500 bonus for good work
Cons
The entire management/ work life
Horrific company to work for
BM (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 August 2018
You get paid for 40 hours but actually work an extra 20 hours a week for free and the job is a 7 day job working 12 hours a day sometimes more. No recognition for your hard work the company is all about sales and not about customers!! Total micromanagement and under pressure working environment.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no family time & under paid
Stay away from the Compliance Team
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire27 July 2018
Overworked and under paid
You are treated like a robot and expected to meet unrealistic targets
No recognition or appreciation for performing consistently and achieving targets
No room to progress, managers and teams members have horrible attitudes and only associate with people they like.
The salary is below the average you would get for a similar role. Given the importance of this role and the amount of work involved, you are seriously under paid.

I recommend to stay away especially since they almost made several members of different departments redundant in Bradford recently and intend to complete a further review. It just emphasises the lack stability for the company and its future!
Pros
NCP nearby
Cons
Long, stressful days, high targets, extremely low pay, low morale
Poor management
CEM (Former Employee) –  Pwllheli, Gwynedd7 July 2018
If you apply for this job be prepared for long hours ie 45 to 50 hours a week with no overtime paid. Also they expect you to work Saturday until 2pm.
Management is absolutely poor they have no life experience whatsoever. Use of own vehicle and travelling is about 1200 miles a month excluding the distance to your first call and last call to home which I my case I was losing approx 1000 a month so in reality I was travelling over 2000 miles a month but only being paid for approx 1000 miles.
This job is all about sales so don't believe what your told about collections although that is part of it.
Keep your distance and look for another job I'm so glad I'm out of it after 6 months
Pros
Cons
Management, long hours, mileage and wear and tear on your own vehicle
Customer Experience Manager (Current)
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom16 June 2018
Almost a year from the change over and I hate my job. Everything is about sales and ons, they think if they call them expectations it's not a target but it's just a target by a different name.

Scripted door step interactions, recommend a friend and offers are essentials, every offer every week, personal interaction gone. Targeting people twice a week with offers. Phone calls/ texts done on a Thursday when offers downloaded (to plant the seed) and reminder on doorstep for the voice recording.

I am one of the few part timers and we don't exist for this company. Paid for 20 hours a week but the phone must be on 24/7, weekly team meetings over 30 miles away that are complusory and no consideration given to the impact it has on your contracted hours. 1 to 1 mangers meetings done monthly on your day off. Already working 24.5 hours this week (no overtime pay) and had my business manager on this morning wanting to know why I'm not going out today (Sat) to do call backs on customers who weren't home yesterday. I have 10 call backs but my area is rural so it would take me at least 3 hours to do them, she wasn't happy when I told her I had plans for the day and couldn't do it, apparently we have to try and catch them out as they won't be expecting it.

Getting the leave you want is almost impossible, compulsory working on bank holidays (although I believe this is more a problem in my area) causing more call backs and unpaid overtime.

Weekly naming and shaming of individual performance. All individuals performance information shared with the team, number of collections, amount
  more... collected, number of sales and amount sold, number of new customers, percentage of customers with offers given a loan that week, percentage of voice recordings, everyone knows your performance.

Personal safety, not high on the agenda, I've been bitten by a dog and had a man expose himself to me, mangers slow to respond to your call, incedent report completed but nothing done. I still go to both customers house's but left to me figure out how to deal with the problem.

I love 95% of my customers, I've seen it all with them, births, deaths, marriage's, separations, new jobs, redundancy, diagnoses, the small achievements and the big. I've held their hands while they've cried after burying their mother and son in the same week, held their hands while they've tried to wrap their head around their cancer diagnosis, performed first aid when they've taken a seizure and bit their tongue, made tea when their contractions started, brought them bread, milk, coal when they couldn't leave the house, watched their children grown and delighted in their smiles when they see you coming.

Provident was a good company and I will cherish friends and memories I've made along the way but it is now a company that exploits the needy with crippling interest rates, a company that wants customers in debt to them for life, a company that won't invest in advertising and competition, most companies that want to out do their competitors will under cut them, make themselves the cheapest, not Provident. When an individual can walk away £40 million richer it's a company solely based on lining the pockets of those at the top, shareholders and manager's.

Actively seeking other employment.
Cons
No overtime pay, on call 24/7, high interest rates, scripted interactions, sales focused
Under pressure Constantley
Home Loans Agent (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 June 2018
The management always want you to do more, which I did every week work over my hours. But then when it came to my probationary interview nothing was ever going to be good enough for my manager. I knew my job fully and I cannot understand why I was released.
No Customer Care
Customer Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire14 April 2018
Job title suggests customer care but that doesn't exist, it is still "a loan company afterall".
You get maybe 4 days of being told what to do, no proper structured training plan and if you make mistakes you are spoken to like a child and told to stop it and threatened with disciplinary and management action.
Management do not like being told that their training or ways of working do not work, and nothing is done when you ask for help or making suggestions for improvement.
Awful shift pattern as there is more emphasis on late shifts, and management don't bother working after 6pm yet you are expected to work until 8pm.
Trying to book time off is a joke, if you manage to send your email before anyone else wanting the same time off then your in luck otherwise forget about the time you want off.
Team leaders and management do not work after 6pm or on Saturdays or bank holidays which you always have to work.
Feedback is given in the form of either shouting or making you feel inadequate and in the open team where the whole floor can practically hear what is being said to you, quite embarrassing indeed!
It is not a fun place to work, it is very stressful.
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Very bad
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire9 April 2018
No support when you needed it, when weather is so bad you can’t drive you are still expected to go
Out and collect. You work more hours than your wage reflects
Provident Bradford
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire5 April 2018
Just do not do it.
Staff care more about applying make up and getting food orders than the job.
Very childish/immature working enviroment.
Training is non existant.
Shift patterns and trying to book time off horrendous.
No ethics at all, a small step away from being loan sharks.
Learnt nothing.
The hardest part of the job was to stop the person showing you how to do a job floating off for a chat with colleagues (mainly about food!)
There was no enjoyable aspect to the job.
Extremely Cliquey.
Not What it used to be
Senior BI Manager Consumer Credit Division (Current Employee) –  Bradford5 March 2018
When I Joined provident it was the best place I had worked. This was the case for 6-7 years. In the last 18 months or so, the culture has changed so that Provident is no longer a nice place top work.
Pros
Plenty of benefits
Cons
Poor, oppresive culture