PRISON ADVICE AND CARE TRUST

PRISON ADVICE AND CARE TRUST Employee Reviews

United Kingdom4 reviews
A typical day at work would be to open the centre, make sure all money is ready for the staff and print out all reports ready for the day. I would check all emails and deal with them in order of priority. I would either be booking visitors in to the prison checking for ID and documents, booking visits in a very busy environment or serving in the tea bar. If I was offf rota I would be recruting and training volunteers, this would include interviewing, CRB and security checks and assisting them in key training. I would also make sure I kept close contact with outside agencies such as Double Impact and Sure Start.
I would learn the importance of good communication and dealing with people from all different parts of life. Everyday I learn more about prison life and the meaning of different sentencing and adhearing to all prison security procedures.

My co- workers are a pleasure to work with and we all act in a professional mannor, however we do have a good time and enjoy each others company.

The hardest part of my job is keeping an open mind and not judging the offender and family. I feel this is part of human nature but I have learnt how to seperate my personal feelings and deal with the situation in a professional mannor.

Th most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different people everyday and interacting with visitors, staff, volunteers and visitors.
Pros
meeting new people everyday
Cons
preparing food
gained experience in working with offenders within a multi-agency approach. Developed various skills. Good networking opportunities. Experience of legal visits developed.
I think that the head office runs brilliantly, their attention to detail with regard to the employees further out needs some improvement.

The support structure also needs improvement as it just didn't perform to expectations.
Pros
Training provided whenever necessary.
Cons
Expected to work 50+ hours on a 28 hr contract.
would check in visitors/service users visiting a loved on in prison, provide snacks and refreshments to all service users in the visitors centre and during visits in the prison visits hall.
provide emotional and practical support for those service users and provide a referral service.
Pros
travel expenses paid for and lunch, provided insight into the criminal justice feild and prison work
Cons
often times in day when there is little to be done