Priory Group Employee Reviews for Healthcare Assistant

Horrendous place / Bullies
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  The Dene , Hassocks29 January 2018
This place his horrendous staff terrible management agency workers sent here with no experience , short staff hardly ever had a lunch break , No open door policy it stinks how they treat the patients here good staff leave in droves . Disgraceful uncaring . Exhausting place
CQC arrange inspections . They need too turn up un announced at this place
Pros
Non
Cons
Terribly long hours
Good team
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 November 2017
Good team to work within but obviously this varies from ward to ward hospital to hospital.
12 hour shifts days and nights.
Rewarding but challenging job.
Anti-social hours is hardest part of the job.
Great job if you enjoy always being busy with things to do.
dangerous
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middleton St. George29 September 2017
Since the priory took over affinity health care the have cut bonus's cut the staff all for profit and put employees in danger due to the staffing ladders , No support from management and I feel it is a very very sexist environment to be in
Pros
home time
Cons
no support no supevisions
something different to the everyday job
Senior Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire6 August 2017
i enjoyed working for the priory, everyday was different but now I'm ready for a change. My daily duties consist of counting money, checking in patients, carrying out medical observations, taking blood pressure, I was infection control leader.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long 12 hour shifts
Terrible place to work
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abbey House Malvern30 June 2017
Where do I start when talking about this place. Set in the lovely surroundings of the Malvern hills, this is a truly beautiful place to work. Unfortunately, along with the free meals, that's the only possitives about working here. Since the new management, Abbey House has become a very unsafe, miserable and unorganized place to work. Dangerously short staffed on the ward especially at night where only 3 staff look after over 20 men. There have been plenty of incidents where staff have had to hide in the office and call the police due to not having enough staff to control the situation. During the day, management hide away in the offices or constantly go out for cigarette breaks leaving hardly no staff to run the ward. The only time you see them is when CQC are visiting and then they make out they're on the ward all the time. Staff rota's are changed daily and your shifts are all over the place, sometimes working a day shift and then a night shift the following day. You could come in after a day off and then be told your shift has changed and you're no longer in that day. The salary is one of the worst in this sector and you only tend to get on if you're related or a friend of the ward manager.
My advice to anyone thinking about working here, look elsewhere!
Pros
Free meals, surroundings
Cons
Everything else
rewarding
Activities Co-ordinator and Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marchwood12 April 2017
The management was supportive and the so was the team. The days varied from easy to challenging but when you saw you made a difference in someone life it was a made up for the challenging days.
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport20 March 2017
My typical day at work included supporting service users on the ward with a variety of different activities to help them to recover. this was a very satisfying and rewarding job.
Dynamic and challenging workplace
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol6 February 2017
Very rewarding work, great team to work with. Good level of pay. Social events outside work. Rewarding caring for those unable to care for themselves. Pushes you out of comfort zone and gives you lots of varied skills and responsibilities. If you are happy working nights and 12 hours shifts this is perfect for you. Get days off in the week to compensate.
Pros
Days off due to long shifts, food great, pay good
Cons
long shifts, night shifts, weekends
Productive and enjoyable
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds11 January 2017
No two days are ever the same there is always something new to learn and if your not sure management are very approachable, your co-workers and residents become like your extended family. The hardest part of the job is when a resident is no longer with you, the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles and laughter from your residents it makes your spirit soar to know that you helped to bring that ray of sunshine into there lives.
Pros
Constant learning, support and good leadership
Cons
Cannot honestly think of anything that needs to be mentioned
Great team that are really making a difference
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham12 August 2015
I have worked in the Priory Altrincham adolescent ward for around 6 months now, and usually the novelty of a new job has worn off by this point but actually my job has got better as time has gone on.

Yes the days are long but they're busy and filled with new challenges, I work with adolescents at the Priory at they have given me the training and support to be able to really aid the recovery of these patients.

Being a health care assistant in the priory has been so much more than this, we are involved in MDT meetings and staff discussion groups and within this company you are treated as equal and your voice is always heard through your clinical supervision and reflection groups.

I have aspiring goals to go into therapy and when discussing this with my team they encouraged me to pursue this. The priory have given me the opportunities to enhance my experience and given me the tools for further careers which is rare in many large companies. The priory encourage you to continue learning and striving for career development.

Working on a mental health ward with adolescents is very demanding and can often be draining. The team I work with are some of the nicest, down to earth people- who all support eachother when the days are hard. The atmosphere between staff in my job is productive but also one where you can have a laugh and a breather from a hectic shift. And on the occasion when you do have a problem that can be handled in the team the management and other staff are always there to help and support you.

Honestly one of the nicest places to work.
Pros
Opportunities to progress
Cons
Long busy days/ Sick pay not available
Official response from Priory Group
21 September 2015

Thankyou for your review- Its great to hear your feedback. We are really pleased that you are enjoying working at the Priory Hospital Altrincham.

Caring Committed Supportive Workforce
Lead Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, ENG28 July 2015
I have been with the company for several years and although there were indeed teething problems I am fully committed to the Priory philosophy.

The team I work with, regardless of how high the turnover may be, are always supportive and friendly and adaptable. The Priory does a fantastic job of employing those with a 'can do' attitude, which is one of the most important aspects of working within this environment. Even the most challenging of days can be made bearable with this kind of team around you.

Working in a secure environment can prove challenging. Although this may be "the hardest part of the job" in the eyes of some, for me it provides the strongest feeling of acheivement and personal reward when the team and myself successfully manage challenging situations effectively and assist our service users along the path of their recovery in their time with us.

The money is always an area for debate and the starting wage is indeed not fanatastic for the new and less experienced, which rings true for almost all professions these days, however there are opportunities to progress and increments in wage following the end of each tax year. Also working weekends and less sociable hours provide further enhancements to your wage packet.

Currently in my hospital we have a strong management team around who are all approachable, helpful, knowledgeable and will move mountains to assist their workforce. The senior management team is second to none and I can't offer enough superlatives to our new hospital director who has galvanised the hospital team and given them a greater sense
  more... of direction.

I highly recommend working within the priory to all who may be interested in a career in healthcare. The opportunities to progress are plenty and when you find the correct environment for you, you'll be happy to stay for a long time.
Pros
Supportive team, flexible working hours, rewarding job, continually changing incentives to retain experienced staff
Cons
Not the best pay for less experienced staff.
Good comapny to work for
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  ENG11 June 2015
Get experience learnt a huge amount from this job. The manager was great and the co workers were also great. Atmosphere was enjoyable to work in.
dreadful place to work; chaotic and poorly staffed
health care assistant (Former Employee) –  ....27 December 2014
A typical day at work here would involve only 2 hca's on the floor to about 30 patients. There was no training other than a 1 day induction course. Half of the HCA's seemed to possess a far better understanding of mental health than the nurses. The other half were not interested in working in mental health and just attended for an easy job. Concerns voiced were always ignored and swept under the carpet, making for a work environment beseiged by resentment and misunderstandings. I learned here how not to manage a department when in a management role; this was a great example of that. Regretful.
Very interesting place to work in
Senior Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Etham4 June 2014
Working at Priory is a very interesting the job here gives me job satisfation. Caring for the elderly who cannot do things for themselves like before allowing them to enjoy thieir life gives me so much satisfaction.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Good experinece and excellent staff
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, ENG7 February 2014
The hardest part of the job is when you cannot help your patients recover from their illness as it maybe a uncurable illness. Also working with families that do not appreciate when good work is being done to ensure that their family member in hospital is being well looked after, rather they concerntrate on the negeatives.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know your patient through stories that they may tell you or reading care plans and also delivering the best care possible so that they may recover or so that they may be happy during their time in hospital.

Experience in care has made me to learn the different illness that are out there that I never knew existed. And it has given me more understanding e.g. some patients can be difficult to manage, not because they want to but becasue it is a part of their illness.
Pros
Free Lunch and Good salary
Cons
N/a