Principal Hotel Company Employee Reviews

Shocking place to work
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 August 2018
Managers speak to staff like they are poor way, can’t even breath most days with out something going wrong , always short on staff , other staff always picking up extra work .

Never a thank you , if you have a problem don’t bother with HR as can’t tell them nothing they tell the manager that’s it against , then just don’t adress the problem , simple chat think it will solve the problem.

Rooms are terriable never get rid the staff that are shocking just leave them here to keep making more shocking rooms and making people’s life harder !

Bottom line poor place to work with bad wages etc
Pros
Poor lunch wouldn’t feed it a dog
Cons
Make some good work mates
the worst job !!!
Room Attendant Self checker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 August 2018
I worked there in the room attendant self checker position. I also treat the day when I went there. Management is not worth anything, it is just a warrant, arrogant. Working conditions are very bad. There are no secured tools. Nobody go to work here !!! Avoid this place !!!!!
Pros
Cons
Management team
Banqueting and conference Assistant
Banqueting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh25 July 2018
They are looking for staff when it's busy with events Christmas ,New Year and after that you have to wait for maybe some parties or marriages to get a few hours but normally there is nothing and you might end up with 0 hours per week!I stayed for 3 months at this job when It was a period with events so I had hours, some times I was working for 12 hours with only one quick 20 minute break to eat if it was anything left as they were not serving enough food for the whole staff.The head chef was rude and was yelling when we were taking the food out, we were in order like soldiers and with a simple mistake or confusion between us the Banqueting manager was rude and was yelling.The rest of the hotel had a snobbish attitude towards us because we were not part of the hotel or the bar but were only for the events.When I decided to leave and gave my notice the Manager asked me to stay and he said it will be plenty of events to work and get hours however I left but some friends that stayed there said there was nothing and they quit after me..I cannot suggest this place for work as my experience there was mostly negative!
Pros
Very good colleagues at banqueting made friends
Cons
Bad attitude from managers, chefs, not enough break time
Feel like a war camp
Laundry Manager (Former Employee) –  london5 June 2018
Do not bother to apply for this job as the role includes you working like a laundry attendant with minimum staff, Human resources department only looking for less experience so that they can pay less in wages
If you are looking for a full time position, Go away
Conference and Banqueting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Waverley Station, City of Edinburgh3 May 2018
They sell you a vacancy with "plenty of hours" and a great career, however they do not have enough events for giving enough hours to their staff members, and by enough I mean many members had 0 hours being there for a "full time position". It has been my far the worst experience I ever had in a hotel... In any other touristic country they would not even have 2 stars.
The head Chef was shouting at the waiting staff quite often, till the point that many quite the job just for him. Managers speak to you as if you were their housekeeper, they just talk but do nothing. The company would definitely work out better with many of them.
Staff is not well trained since many new members just join at the same time, and are givena very poor training.
I had many issues to book my holidays due to the lack of "old" staff members.
Pros
great team members
Cons
ridiculous amount of hours, managers see
Terrible workplace
Conference and Banqueting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh23 April 2018
Horrible management who don’t care enough to learn the names of their staff members.
No work/life balance.
Expected to work rediculous hours.
Staff members screamed at by management for no apparent reason.
Extremely high turnover due to disgusting working conditions.
Treated like dirt by every other department within the hotel.
All this for a terrible pay of £7.05 p/h.
The only positive thing is the team members you work with.

Look elsewhere!!!
Pros
Great team members (not including management)
Cons
Treated like dirt
Awful company
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh22 April 2018
I have worked in this business at all levels and this was by far the worst experience I have had the privilege of undertaking. Staff are treated like meat and are clearly expendable. Minimum wage without progression opportunities and terrible management. Look elsewhere unless you enjoy degradation. Also they advertise as giving meals on shift but more often than not this is not the case.
Pros
I am still thinking, the clients
Terrible work culture
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 April 2018
Avoid Avoid Avoid. Terrible, appalling work culture. This is the worst company you could ever work for. Definitely not recommended if you want to work in a happy environment.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Vile management and high staff turnover
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay4 April 2018
We only maintained the high star rating because they knew in advance who the AA inspectors were. Check in and ask for a wake up call, newspaper, book restaurant and have room service. All the staff are prepped to know the signs, then allocate them the best room which has been set aside just in case.
Staff are lucky to get minimum wage as they monitor toilet breaks and smoking breaks within your 30 mins you’re allowed all day. Free staff meals are lukewarm leftovers from guests breakfast. So many staff felt ill as it’s left out for upto 3 hours!
They are constantly looking to achieve profits rather than looking after staff and customer service. If there’s a genuine complaint they use a copy and paste template for every guest to fob them off and argue with them. Most of the staff were on medication from working here!
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Too many to share
hi
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Blytheswood hotel glasgow13 March 2018
i worked their for 3 months the head chef is an arrogant git he also hss control over pay etc the sweet kitchen was always a bombsite after friday saturday nights .youd have couple hours by yourself to get it all sorted impossible with the stuff left out .
Pros
other kitchen poters where good guys
Cons
arrogant chefs
Despicable place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire7 March 2018
Is a despicable and horrendous place to work. The management sucks and they treat you like rubbish especially if you are a foreign. They are mean people and they don't respect you. When you come to work in the morning no one in the management give you a good morning they just ignored you.During your day at work you just want to get out asap. You don't feel welcome, you just feel miserable. Please don't work there if you want to keep your insanety. You stay better on benefits them work there.
Not even the food is good, most of the times if you work weekends you stay without any food. My dog eat better them the staff.You have to work as a slave to see some money and to have holidays, because you have to recruit them. Even McDonald's are better then this place.
Get far far away from this place!!!!!!
Pros
Unknown
Absolute rubbish
House Porter (Former Employee) –  Blythswood Square Glasgow5 February 2018
I was employed here as a house porter after being totally overworked as a kitchen porter in the dirtiest three kitchens i have ever had the displeasure of being in. They offer you a free meal on your shift but i never ate anything there after working in their kitchens. The house porter job was good and decent at first then after a few days training you are expected to do absolutely everything.....house keeping and house porter and linen porter AT THE SAME TIME. Not worth minimum wage and definitely not worth the rubbish you get off the House Keeping manager. You are promised a contract after you pass the work"probation" period which is 3 months, but that never happens and after three and a half months of being taken for an idiot i walked out. Turn over in this place is high for a very good reason.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh27 January 2018
No day is the same, excellent team spirit not just within own department but in between other colleagues as well. Supportive and well organised. Great benefits.
Needs improvement
Front Office (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire22 January 2018
Not provided with tools required to succeed in role. Disorganised line manager, high turnover of staff, poor training and development. Poor standard of upkeep of rooms. Care more about profit than guest service.
Pros
Other than salary, none
Cons
Too many to mention
Modern slavery
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Oxford spires Hotel15 January 2018
For minimum wage you'll be expected to do ALL SORTS of job. Making food, cleaning, picking trays, reception jobs & security job. Unless you are British or Romanian, don't apply for night porter job. Whilst I was there, I saw a big discrimination between ethnicities. I got dismissed because of overworking which caused my feet to swell and bleed so needed to take off for 3 days & voila. Hard job not appreciated, they just want people to keep working on probation so they won't pay much and no workers right. I'd rather wash toilets than this.
Fabulous place to work
Events Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 January 2018
Working here made my career. I loved every minute of it although working long hours. The people here became more of my family than colleagues. There is room for progression if you put the work in. Working in hospitality you come across all kinds of different situations and this place definitely prepared me for other things. The principal values are great, something they actually follow through on rather than other hotel groups that just ignore everything it stands for. I would definitely recommend working here.
Pros
Lunch, discounts on stay. Employee of the month
Not good
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom27 November 2017
After all the hoops they made me jump through just to get a part time casual position at the end of it, I was literally bullied out of my job and walked out in floods of tears one day and just never went back.
Awful experience.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Too many
They exploit staff to make company richer
Spa Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 November 2017
Absolutley no regard for employees welfare. All this hotel chain cares about is making money, at the expense of the hard working under-paid team of staff. Loyal members of staff were given no inscentives or payrise. Biggest turnover of employees i have ever seen in all my working years. Management an absolute shambles. Spa itself was very tired and treatments were booked in with no time to breath inbetween, let alone clean or use the toilet. Very dissapointed as the hotel has a reputation in Wales, but if customers knew how the staff were treated i'm sure they'd be very shocked indeed. Was underpaid many times and recently found out it was because the manager wanted to make the books balance. Outrageous behaviour and totally wrong.
Cons
Too many to say
bad in every way
Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 October 2017
mangers don't do their work, instead they palm it off onto others to do- and that's from everywhere, not just the kitchen.
You're expected to work longer than your sifts on the rota, so if you have pans at 6pm, and your shift ends at 4pm , best phone the Mrs and say your only going to be back for 9:30pm

with regards to functions, well, best assume the unexpected because sale people dont put everything down on paper-and itsalways your fault.

no equipment, no staff and wait a minute.... no recruitment either???
where have all my tips gone?? i've got £6 a month each month since starting from tips. not worth it working silly hours and paying full wack on parking

this is just the tip of the ice burg fellas...
Pros
Cons
long hours and bad working conditions
It is horrible to work here like room attendant.
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh6 July 2017
Disgusting Hungarian housekeeper supervisor and her manager. All of them are rude for this reason, most of the room attendant doesn't want to work in this Hotel and every day has to hire other people to do that job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Principal Hotel Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1