Principal Hotel Company Employee Reviews

Feel like a war camp
Laundry Manager (Former Employee) –  london5 June 2018
Do not bother to apply for this job as the role includes you working like a laundry attendant with minimum staff, Human resources department only looking for less experience so that they can pay less in wages
If you are looking for a full time position, Go away
Conference and Banqueting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Waverley Station, City of Edinburgh3 May 2018
They sell you a vacancy with "plenty of hours" and a great career, however they do not have enough events for giving enough hours to their staff members, and by enough I mean many members had 0 hours being there for a "full time position". It has been my far the worst experience I ever had in a hotel... In any other touristic country they would not even have 2 stars.
The head Chef was shouting at the waiting staff quite often, till the point that many quite the job just for him. Managers speak to you as if you were their housekeeper, they just talk but do nothing. The company would definitely work out better with many of them.
Staff is not well trained since many new members just join at the same time, and are givena very poor training.
I had many issues to book my holidays due to the lack of "old" staff members.
Pros
great team members
Cons
ridiculous amount of hours, managers see
Terrible workplace
Conference and Banqueting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh23 April 2018
Horrible management who don’t care enough to learn the names of their staff members.
No work/life balance.
Expected to work rediculous hours.
Staff members screamed at by management for no apparent reason.
Extremely high turnover due to disgusting working conditions.
Treated like dirt by every other department within the hotel.
All this for a terrible pay of £7.05 p/h.
The only positive thing is the team members you work with.

Look elsewhere!!!
Pros
Great team members (not including management)
Cons
Treated like dirt
Awful company
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh22 April 2018
I have worked in this business at all levels and this was by far the worst experience I have had the privilege of undertaking. Staff are treated like meat and are clearly expendable. Minimum wage without progression opportunities and terrible management. Look elsewhere unless you enjoy degradation. Also they advertise as giving meals on shift but more often than not this is not the case.
Pros
I am still thinking, the clients
Terrible work culture
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 April 2018
Avoid Avoid Avoid. Terrible, appalling work culture. This is the worst company you could ever work for. Definitely not recommended if you want to work in a happy environment.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Vile management and high staff turnover
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay4 April 2018
We only maintained the high star rating because they knew in advance who the AA inspectors were. Check in and ask for a wake up call, newspaper, book restaurant and have room service. All the staff are prepped to know the signs, then allocate them the best room which has been set aside just in case.
Staff are lucky to get minimum wage as they monitor toilet breaks and smoking breaks within your 30 mins you’re allowed all day. Free staff meals are lukewarm leftovers from guests breakfast. So many staff felt ill as it’s left out for upto 3 hours!
They are constantly looking to achieve profits rather than looking after staff and customer service. If there’s a genuine complaint they use a copy and paste template for every guest to fob them off and argue with them. Most of the staff were on medication from working here!
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Too many to share
hi
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Blytheswood hotel glasgow13 March 2018
i worked their for 3 months the head chef is an arrogant git he also hss control over pay etc the sweet kitchen was always a bombsite after friday saturday nights .youd have couple hours by yourself to get it all sorted impossible with the stuff left out .
Pros
other kitchen poters where good guys
Cons
arrogant chefs
Despicable place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire7 March 2018
Is a despicable and horrendous place to work. The management sucks and they treat you like rubbish especially if you are a foreign. They are mean people and they don't respect you. When you come to work in the morning no one in the management give you a good morning they just ignored you.During your day at work you just want to get out asap. You don't feel welcome, you just feel miserable. Please don't work there if you want to keep your insanety. You stay better on benefits them work there.
Not even the food is good, most of the times if you work weekends you stay without any food. My dog eat better them the staff.You have to work as a slave to see some money and to have holidays, because you have to recruit them. Even McDonald's are better then this place.
Get far far away from this place!!!!!!
Pros
Unknown
Absolute rubbish
House Porter (Former Employee) –  Blythswood Square Glasgow5 February 2018
I was employed here as a house porter after being totally overworked as a kitchen porter in the dirtiest three kitchens i have ever had the displeasure of being in. They offer you a free meal on your shift but i never ate anything there after working in their kitchens. The house porter job was good and decent at first then after a few days training you are expected to do absolutely everything.....house keeping and house porter and linen porter AT THE SAME TIME. Not worth minimum wage and definitely not worth the rubbish you get off the House Keeping manager. You are promised a contract after you pass the work"probation" period which is 3 months, but that never happens and after three and a half months of being taken for an idiot i walked out. Turn over in this place is high for a very good reason.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh27 January 2018
No day is the same, excellent team spirit not just within own department but in between other colleagues as well. Supportive and well organised. Great benefits.

Want to know more about Principal Hotel Company?

Ask a question
Needs improvement
Front Office (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire22 January 2018
Not provided with tools required to succeed in role. Disorganised line manager, high turnover of staff, poor training and development. Poor standard of upkeep of rooms. Care more about profit than guest service.
Pros
Other than salary, none
Cons
Too many to mention
Modern slavery
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Oxford spires Hotel15 January 2018
For minimum wage you'll be expected to do ALL SORTS of job. Making food, cleaning, picking trays, reception jobs & security job. Unless you are British or Romanian, don't apply for night porter job. Whilst I was there, I saw a big discrimination between ethnicities. I got dismissed because of overworking which caused my feet to swell and bleed so needed to take off for 3 days & voila. Hard job not appreciated, they just want people to keep working on probation so they won't pay much and no workers right. I'd rather wash toilets than this.
Fabulous place to work
Events Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 January 2018
Working here made my career. I loved every minute of it although working long hours. The people here became more of my family than colleagues. There is room for progression if you put the work in. Working in hospitality you come across all kinds of different situations and this place definitely prepared me for other things. The principal values are great, something they actually follow through on rather than other hotel groups that just ignore everything it stands for. I would definitely recommend working here.
Pros
Lunch, discounts on stay. Employee of the month
Not good
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom27 November 2017
After all the hoops they made me jump through just to get a part time casual position at the end of it, I was literally bullied out of my job and walked out in floods of tears one day and just never went back.
Awful experience.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Too many
They exploit staff to make company richer
Spa Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 November 2017
Absolutley no regard for employees welfare. All this hotel chain cares about is making money, at the expense of the hard working under-paid team of staff. Loyal members of staff were given no inscentives or payrise. Biggest turnover of employees i have ever seen in all my working years. Management an absolute shambles. Spa itself was very tired and treatments were booked in with no time to breath inbetween, let alone clean or use the toilet. Very dissapointed as the hotel has a reputation in Wales, but if customers knew how the staff were treated i'm sure they'd be very shocked indeed. Was underpaid many times and recently found out it was because the manager wanted to make the books balance. Outrageous behaviour and totally wrong.
Cons
Too many to say
bad in every way
Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 October 2017
mangers don't do their work, instead they palm it off onto others to do- and that's from everywhere, not just the kitchen.
You're expected to work longer than your sifts on the rota, so if you have pans at 6pm, and your shift ends at 4pm , best phone the Mrs and say your only going to be back for 9:30pm

with regards to functions, well, best assume the unexpected because sale people dont put everything down on paper-and itsalways your fault.

no equipment, no staff and wait a minute.... no recruitment either???
where have all my tips gone?? i've got £6 a month each month since starting from tips. not worth it working silly hours and paying full wack on parking

this is just the tip of the ice burg fellas...
Pros
Cons
long hours and bad working conditions
It is horrible to work here like room attendant.
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh6 July 2017
Disgusting Hungarian housekeeper supervisor and her manager. All of them are rude for this reason, most of the room attendant doesn't want to work in this Hotel and every day has to hire other people to do that job.
Worse place ever
Chef (Former Employee) –  Scotland6 June 2017
Expect far to much impossible tasks set not enough staff n the politics is unbelievable, management are awful if your face fits then your get on ok, the staff turnover is bad, someone pretty much leaves every day, worse company I've ever worked for...
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low pay, bad mangerment i could go on
Never worked here and dont want too!
Conference & Banqueting Manager (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire2 June 2017
I have never worked for this company and after my recent experience of their recruitment process, i never want too. I have found their HR department to be unorganised, rude and quite frankly abit unprofessional.
It started when I applied online for a job with them. Couple of days later I received an email saying I'd been unsuccessful. Well that's that then I thought, fair enough ,okay. However a few days after that a member of their staff rings me to invite me in for an interview. I was slighly confused but obviously agreed. Anyway they ended up calling me in for two separate interviews to see two different members of staff, regarding the same job role. They both asked me the exact same questions. At the first interview the member of staff kept me waiting for 15 minutes and then at the second one the interviewer quizzed me about one of my family members , who she apparently knows. I found it unprofessional. They said that they'd be in touch with me either way. They weren't. I had to email them twice before I got a response saying I'd been unsuccessful which turned out to be a very short, standard email with no constructive feedback. I emailed in again after I'd received this expressing my displeasure at their behaviour and how I think it's unfair that they seem to want job applicants to" jump through hoops" to gain employment with them but won't even have the decency or respect to let them know the outcome of an interview or respond to an email. Unsurprisingly, I didn't get a reply. Really put me off working for this company and won't be applying again!
office
People Assistant (Former Employee) –  London Holborn15 May 2017
a very good mix of Culture in the office and team respect.

learning experience from executive team

treated with respect

take on your opinion

getting involved in projects

kept up to date
benefits
Cons
salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Principal Hotel Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1