Primark Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 604 reviews matching the search See all 5,194 reviews
Productive, bubbly
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street13 November 2018
Working in Primark was very interesting everyday was different you'd get some good days and some decent days. Managers were really nice too always helpful
Pros
Pay
Borinf
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2018
The supervisors are rude. The managers do not like to tell you what you are doing well and what you should be doing better. The only good thing is that we have fixed shifts
Pros
Fixed contract hours
Cons
Rude management
3 Stars
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 November 2018
Primark is a great place to work if you are a student and you're looking for relatively easy work. Shifts are usually 4 hours per day and you are expected to stand for the full 4 hours. Some 8 hour shifts were available on weekends, which is what I did, however standing on your feet for 8 hours was painful and made me dread going in. It's easy to get in trouble and one thing done wrong means you cannot progress within the company. It is a good place to meet other students and I have made some lifelong friends from working there.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Long hours with no breaks
Great first job!
Retail Assistant Sales Floor Cash Desk (Former Employee) –  Walsall1 November 2018
I loved working here! Made lots of good friends and managers and supervisors are really friendly and understanding, the only downside is its minimum wage and you don't get a discount.
Pros
Management, colleagues, flexibility, extra hours
Cons
No discount, low pay
Alright for a teenager
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire31 October 2018
I started there in 2015 left in September 2018 after working as a shop floor retail assistant for the entire period.

The hours are the same every week and there's pretty much always overtime available - especially in the school holidays which was great being a Sixth Form student myself at the time.

The pay is slightly above the minimum wage and is the same for all aged 16-21 which was one of the main reasons I didn't change jobs during this period.

Working on the shop floor is incredibly busy and stressful and customers can be exceptionally rude. Also management were never brilliant and sometimes knew less about issues than the shop floor staff did!

Breaks were long and you were guaranteed to get them.

Staff were friendly but there was a definite division between full-time and part-time staff.
Pros
Set hours, better pay than average, long breaks
Cons
Management a bit rubbish
Generally a nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 October 2018
It's a busy shop, you are going to be busy! If you think you can turn up, stand around for 4 hours and go home you are wrong!

Praise is lacking. You'll get told when you're in the wrong but will not receive praise for going above and beyond.

Some managers are great to work with, some not so much. The supervisors are incredibly cliquey and have no worries about sleeping with various members of staff!!

Overtime is always available
Pros
Overtime. Xmas discount
Cons
Low morale
Good place to work but bad pay
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westfield Shepherds Bush19 October 2018
The hourly rate is not great. Have learned a lot about the retailer. If you are working in London, they should give us London living wage, however they do not.
stressful
Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Stevenage16 October 2018
only worked one day a week but even though the hours were short it dragged, how everyday was the same, it was always really hot, always stressful. good place to shop just not to work in.
Repetitive and boring job
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith, Greater London16 October 2018
I worked at primark part-time for less than 2 years. It can be boring and repetitive.
You socialize a lot with your colleagues.
Costumers don't have any consideration.
Not all the managers are orribile, but some of them don't have any managerial skill.
Recommended if you are studying and looking for a part-time job, but leave if you have the chance!
Pros
Overtime available
Cons
Management, salary, costumers.
Enjoyable workplace for me personally
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City, Greater London16 October 2018
A typical day at work was not too hard nor was it too easy. Working at Primark allowed me to develop my skills and become a better worker overall. Furthermore, the staff were very friendly and attentive which allowed me to settle in fairly quickly. A drawback is that if you're looking for benefits from the job then you may be left disappointed. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with angry customers or working Christmas period as it got very demanding and fast paced. The most enjoyable part of the job was my colleagues who were very helpful and kind which helped with the job.
Pros
Good working environment, kind staff
Cons
Barely any discount apart from Christmas time
Bad management, made to feel like a criminal
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bath11 October 2018
Okay so the job in itself isn't all bad, however certain things annoy me, never ever praised no matter how well you do, you could put in all the hours on the earth and you wouldn't get a thank you, no matter what you do right it'll always be small things you do wrong that'll get noticed. You're constantly asked what you're doing as if you're not working which distracts you from your work, cameras are everywhere and your till is spot checked every shift and a bag search every day (Primark don't have an ounce of trust for there employees) made to feel like a criminal, deliveries are generally large and clog up fire exists daily which is a constant threat to health and safety, management are generally very young and don't seem to communicate, as such I generally get a clog up of requests from different managers, also alot of the time managers seem to be in a meeting and nowhere to be found, no discount for employees other than 4 months of the year and even then it's only 10%. The air con is never on, not even in the height of summer, I could ramble on but I'll stop there, I believe Primark need to rethink their policies as many seem old and completely outdated.
Pros
Other staff members are great, good customers, time flies by, easy enough work
Cons
All the above and more
Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading11 October 2018
Primark really is a hit or miss. Depending on your department you could have an amazing manager or an awful one. The pay is very good and the hours are flexible.
Pros
Gets you paid
Cons
discount only at xmas
Flexible and good team
Nightshift retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow8 October 2018
Very flexible as I’ve changed hours/contracts and also transferred stores, they are very accommodating and it was a good wee team, you also get 20% ontop of your wage for working nightshift
Fun but tedious
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlton, Greater London3 October 2018
fun but very tedious place. not much variety and challenge within job.
some managers were very nice. no overtime was forced upon you. overall a decent place to work
Pros
pay and long Lunch breaks
Not the best
Sales Assistant, Kingston, United Kingdom (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames2 October 2018
if you want to make money just to make it primark is the place. coworkers were the highlight of my job. overtime hours were ridiculous. alot of promises nothing being done.
Pros
nice people
Cons
everything
Primark
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth26 September 2018
It paid fair considering the minimum wage, managers were very strict and didn't allow any interaction with other colleague. Customers are very rude, to a level I had never seen before and I was honestly quite shocked.
Pros
Uniform is alright
Cons
No staff discount
horrible staff disgusting management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham fort22 September 2018
I worked at Primark for a little over 2 years. In my opinion it is the worse place i have ever worked, the staff are rude and speak in a rude manor, the management is clueless and have no idea what is going on in the store. The supervisors talk down to staff, and do anything to keep the managers on side. The managers have no respect for members of staff and is constant gossiping and making inappropriate comments about certain staff members, they have their favourites and pick and choose who gets certain jobs to complete. Some staff are lazy and ignorant have no manners and choose to make friends at work rather then focusing on the customers. The shop floor is always a mess and recovery is never complete and they stand round chatting for hours. Any issues raised to management gets passed around the store instead of being resolved. AVOID.
Pros
Cons
not enough overtime, poor management
enjoyable but also demanding
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire20 September 2018
typical weekends are very busy and constantly fast paced, there were more social aspects that were nice to have grown in over the year i had been there.there are however very little benefits and sometime working in all the sociable hours in the weekend.
Pros
made good friends, enjoyable work
Cons
extremely demanding work at times
Really good money for Under 21's
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth12 September 2018
I have worked in a few Primark stores for a number of years and each store runs completely differently. I loved one store I worked at as the staff were all friendly and management were very helpful. However, I worked in another store which was the complete opposite.

Its quite a tedious job but the pay is good for under 21's (£7.38) as opposed to minimum wage elsewhere.

Usually opportunities to get overtime if needed but not guaranteed. Overall an ok place to work.
Pros
Pay, Overtime, Easy job, short shifts
Cons
Tedious, Treated badly by customers
Alright
Retail Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Nottingham30 August 2018
This was just a job to get money in my pocket when I was a young teenager. They don't seem to be very understanding of mental health, however, they are the best company I've worked for as of yet.