Primark Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 1,097 reviews matching the search See all 5,015 reviews
Poor management
retail operative (Former Employee) –  Folkestone13 September 2018
Managers are overpaid whilst staff are underpaid creating a huge divide. One person expected to carry out the work of two or more people. Always understaffed with high staff turnover. Store manager is disrespectful and talks to all staff in a condescending tone, snapping at staff for no reason often bringing employees to tears. Staff moral is low. No perks. No appreciation for work carried out. Whatever you do is never enough. Terrible place to work
Pros
Great floor staff
Cons
Micro management
Satisfactory workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 September 2018
Management and the Primark I was in were terrible, they did absolutely nothing but refused to let staff members get a drink or got to the toilet during a quiet part of their shift. Requested days of leave were constantly declined, despite being requested during the required time frame. The managers favourite members of staff however, were treated in exception to this, they would disappear for sometimes up to an hour and no action would be taken against them.
Cons
Inflexible, rude members of staff, weekday and weekend staff treated entirely differently, low wages.
Extremely fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London11 September 2018
I really did enjoy my time at Primark, everyone on the team were super friendly, most of the customers were super friendly, it made it very easy to want to work at primark.
Good student job
Primark as a Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London7 September 2018
This job is an ideal first job but it's difficult when trying to sustain it for long. Days are long and tiring but tills are great. Essentially you need a thick skin to get through the day.
Pros
Community of staff
Good HR, Bad management
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames7 September 2018
A typical day at work involves folding clothes from 9:00 Am to 6:00 Pm in the evening and providing customer service with regards to men's department in a very busy primark store
Never work here again
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Church Street6 September 2018
Awful place to work for. I started at a newly opened primark thinking it would get better after a while. Management especially HR treat you like garbage. Spoken to like your scum, very stressful and strict.
Pros
Cons
Disrespectful stressful working environment
Fun and exciting new experience
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  York5 September 2018
The hours work well around my life outside of this company. Staff are always friendly and willing to help as much as they can. Enjoyable new experience for someone looking for a permanent job
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
lack of organisation when it comes to holidays
fun and productive
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackburn4 September 2018
The best thing abut this job is that you can learn and develop new skills along the way. there is always something you discover that you may never have known.
repetitive but easy
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent3 September 2018
I had my own department which I manage within the store. Work at Primark is fast paced, this has allowed me to develop my time management skills this has also allowed me to work under pressure with ease, I also had lots of interaction with customers. Primark also
transferred me from my home store to a store closer to my university when I moved.
Pros
variety of working hours
Cons
repetitive work
Decent
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea31 August 2018
I worked here awhile ago, Primark is a great place to work if you enjoy working in retail. Most of the people they employ though are scruffy and are always swearing in front of customers and kids
Pros
fun and always occupies you
Cons
colleagues are rude
Productive and fun colleague team
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester29 August 2018
I was part of the weekend staff and met fun colleagues who made the job very productive and enjoyable. An advantage was easy overtime shifts to work and they were always available.
Pros
Overtime shifts
Cons
Working in an unfamiliar department
Difficult and frustrating
Retail Operative (Former Employee) –  Chester24 August 2018
I was a member of the weekend staff based in the fitting rooms when I worked at Primark. My colleagues and I referred to the fitting rooms as the land of the forgotten as we were always understaffed and unsupported. Management do not treat you with respect and often pull you up over the most insignificant things, or things that aren't actually wrong. Your breaks are unpaid and the shifts are short and at awkward times. If you could not do overtime due to other priorities (such as University work for me) they would ostracise you and belittle you for it.
Pros
Good job to get you through Uni
Cons
Kind of a "Clique" environment
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Bristol22 August 2018
It's very easy to work at Primark, as for me at least usually know what I'm meant to be doing and your hours on contract are the same very week so you can easily plan holidays, etc. ahead. However it doesn't have a close community for the colleagues so personally I don't really know many other people that work at my store.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
not much of a sense of community
Horrible place to work
Retail Operative (Former Employee) –  Telford20 August 2018
Unless you are part of the clicky group of people who are in charge, this is not a nice place to work. Straight from school this was my first job and it was incredibly un-enjoyable.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Having to work there
Enjoyable but challenging
Customer Facing Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester20 August 2018
During my short period of working at Primark I would make may way there straight from college and leave late at night which seemed to be the biggest challenge. I learnt good customer service skills and how to use a till in the retail store which will be useful in future careers. I enjoyed the enviroment I worked in and the people were fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was going from college at 3 then returning home at sometimes 11pm then back up for college at 7am. This proved to be quite a struggle for me therefore i had to leave. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the new fashion items first and then meeting all the staff, it was a very enjoyable job and id recommend it to anyone.
Was nice
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton20 August 2018
Was lovely to work for. I worked 20 hrs a week on men's ware and children's department. I was on the tills. Just had problems with parking in the town.
fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston16 August 2018
fun place to work can be very busy at times, good staff, not much training or chance to climb the ladder, hours are okay always overtime going if needed
could be better
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lewisham15 August 2018
Poor management and safety for staff, do not allow you to call sick otherwise bans will be issued for overtime. Security do not take proper precautions.
Pros
pay
Cons
cant call sick, poor management, no consideration for staff
do not apply
Retail Operative (Current Employee) –  Guildford13 August 2018
worked at primark for 3 months worst experience of my life. Managers don't care and treat you awfully. ended up leaving because of mental stress from the company
Pros
easy job to get
Cons
horrible, uncomfortable place to work
Ok work place
Retail Operative (Former Employee) –  London13 August 2018
A typical work day I would report to my supervisor and they would tell me what to do which would be performing all register functions in line with company policy, working on the till, maintaining stock levels to maximise sales, promote specific lines under the guidance of management, use available information to assist in laying out the department in relation to sales,
I learned what hard work is like
The management in my opinion where rude and unfair
Colleagues made the work enjoyable
Working in the stock room was the hardest part of the job
Working on the tills was the easiest part of the job
Pros
colleagues
Cons
the managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Primark. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K