Primark Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 1,139 reviews matching the search See all 5,268 reviews
productive
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands10 December 2018
terrible place, dont progress unless your face fits. i dontvwant to say anything elsebabput it . everyone is different. has avdifferent opinion aboutbit
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
temporary work only
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK10 December 2018
nice temp job, helped me over the Christmas period .nice people that I worked with professional company, regular shifts and payment on time quite liked working there..
Pros
nice people that i worked along.
Cons
short term work
Fast Passed but Boring
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  NORTHAMPTON, NORTHAMPTON, UK5 December 2018
Very Boring job that drags.
The employees are nice and friendly.
Managers are 50/50.
Quite stressful for retail
Salary is low and little staff benefits
good company to work for
Retail Assistant (Nightshift) (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street East, London, UK4 December 2018
I had a very enjoyable 8 months working for them. I worked nightshift so was difficult at times but the colleagues and management helped and motivated us in these times.
long way
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2018
it was not the type of work I was looking for, I went there with a growth proposal and it did not have, despite my experience and knowledge, I did not have the desired opportunity.
Pros
Cons
long way
Enjoyable fast paced
Retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire29 November 2018
A typical day at work is to replenish stock and tidy the store. I enjoy working here as all other staff are welcoming and friendly. I would like to find the job more challenging mentally and be able to use my thinking, organisational and customer interaction skills more.
Floor assistant
floor assistant on kids wear (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire27 November 2018
I working on the kids wear department part-time while studying at university. I loved my time at this Primark, I made some amazing life long friends and got on well with most of the managers. There were a few managers that made working there very hard and belittled many of the floor staff and treated us like their little children. However, there are also amazing managers here that i have learnt a lot from and will always remember.

The customers can be very rude sometimes but if you work in a bust store like Primark; you've got to expect this.
Pros
Colleagues, the work, some managers and grow within the company
Cons
Some managers and some customers
Good
Retails Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton26 November 2018
It is a good start to work into retail. You learn alot of key skills such as tills and customer services. The pay isnt amazing. You will rarley see the manger of the store. There is no benefits from working here apart from 20% off at christmas
Good and Bad
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex23 November 2018
In the Primark i worked at my co workers were amazing without them probably wouldn't have lasted 2 years. Working on tills can be repetitive and boring but working on department is much better. The pay was good considering the job when I left i think i was on £7.60 per hour and this was the same for those aged 16-21. when you turn 21 pay rises but unsure on what that is.
Worst part of the job was the weekend staff have to work bank holidays so one year i ended up working Christmas eve boxing day and news years day.
Cons
Weekend staff have to work bank holidays e.g Boxing Day, New years day
They pay pennies and expect 150% but give nothing back
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading22 November 2018
I worked mostly night shifts which meant that it was a small team, the people were nice and even the manager i got on with, but the fact is that they expect you to do the work of 3 people for the pay of half a person and that was with the added bonus you get for working unsociable hours. Some of the team members had been there for years and were still in the same minimum wage position and the only way to move up was to try and befriend your manager. If you couldn't finish in time you didn't get to go home, even if it was the managers fault for ordering too much for the team size. They need to realise that we're people too, or at least pay a living wage. There are no rewards or bonuses or incentives.
Pros
nice team mates
Cons
everything else
Fast pased
Primark Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne21 November 2018
Friendly staff. A good place for a first time job, basic pay but great retail experience. A fast paced environment where you will carry out a variety of jobs in a short period of time.
Pros
Getting to see new stock first
Cons
Same thing day to day
Productive work place
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London21 November 2018
I've learned a good amount of retail experience as I've been working there for two years. Primark can be stressful at times when it can get busy but that's the retail life. Some of the management can be really down to earth and some may take their job too seriously, but don't let that put you off as you can make many friends and speak too many customers as this can boost your confidence up in many ways.
Pros
Work colleagues makes the day even better
Cons
Very Busy on weekends
The WORST job I have ever had
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset19 November 2018
Wouldn’t advise anyone to work here, awful work place where management actually bully staff and supervisors, treat us like dirt on the floor and expect such unrealistic things from us, also a lot of the time managers are being rude about staff members without realising who is around and listening. You could do your absolute most and it still wouldn’t be good enough. Wouldn’t waste your time even applying for a job here.
Also there are no limits when it comes to health and safety and general care in the company, boxes stacked to the ceiling and fire exits blocked. Always a mad rush to clear things when a health and safety visitor comes around and faking that boxes haven’t almost fallen on top of us numorous times due to there being so much stock ordered into the building.
Best thing I ever did was leave Primark, the place is bad for your health.
Pros
ZERO pros AT ALL
Cons
Every single thing
High intense but enjoyable workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester14 November 2018
Usually set long hour shifts but the fast paced environment of retail made it go by quicker and it was an enjoyable experience with work ranging from stacking shelves with new stock to helping customers with finding specific items or running the tills.
Productive, bubbly
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street13 November 2018
Working in Primark was very interesting everyday was different you'd get some good days and some decent days. Managers were really nice too always helpful
Pros
Pay
Fast-paced working environment, enjoyable
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester12 November 2018
Working in Primark is enjoyable and also challenging. With the vast amount of customers you meet and helping them with their questions and queries the job can be challenging and also rewarding. Rewarding in a way where you feel you have helped and enhanced someones day with your help. The staff are nice to work alongside
Pros
Regular shift work, no rota
Cons
Not many perks
not great
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames12 November 2018
First off induction was great - We was told some great facts about the company ( I personally really admired their charity work ) some great tips on good customer service and working in a retail environment - perfect !! From that moment I was looking forward and excited for the job ahead.

To start with my manager and supervisor were very kind , helpful and approachable - no issues there whatsoever !!

Typical day - tidying clothes that customers have messed up - over and over again. They will destroy a perfectly nice pile of tops for a certain size ... then decide actually they don't want it and throw it on top. Same with items in packaging - they pull everything out ... then just leave it on the floor for other guests to walk over. ( Why ?? )
I had a customer who had 3/4 jumpers and decided she no longer wanted them - found her way to me just to ask if I can put them back where she got them from ( on a different floor )
Getting stock out the back to put on the shop floor - That was OK , you often have to move other stock to make room and annoyingly have to over pack the rails just to clear it from the back.( something that really irritates me as a customer myself as it's harder to look through for sizes )
Tills - Just what you would expect - smile , small talk - next !
Putting all the returns back on the shelves - can get a little boring, I took my time and strolled around each area.
Staff - just miserable ,, I went in with a positive attitude and being around them just drained me to the point where I couldn't be bothered !! They don't smile - They don't work as
  more... a team , They don't want to talk , They clearly don't want to be there !!
Were told on our induction to have a positive attitude , to be helpful , all the things you would expect and need in retail ( the staff on my floor had none of that ) A customer asked someone on tills about a certain size coat , she glared at them and told them to find someone else ( customer came to me and said about her bad attitude - I witnessed it myself and had to agree )
It's like the staff have lost all will to live and forgot about good customer service ... it's pretty sad they don't have an ounce of kindness towards another person !!

Disappointed staff discount is only 10% and can only use it 4 times a year - not worth it really !!

Bags are checked on the way out - security guards are very friendly and never made it awkward.
Pros
nice manager
Cons
repetitive
friendly and helpful environment
Primark Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Slough11 November 2018
i love working at primark with all the lovely helpful environment and everyone helps you out and we dress up sometimes for example for haloween we all dressed up and came to work and it was really fun and really motivated all of us.
Pros
no stress
Cons
tired after work
good environment to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire4 November 2018
I enjoyed primark as collegues were nice but management had issues. Lack of communication and it was understaffed which created so many problems but other than that it was a nice experience.
Pros
Good friends can be made
Cons
Management was quite bad
3 Stars
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 November 2018
Primark is a great place to work if you are a student and you're looking for relatively easy work. Shifts are usually 4 hours per day and you are expected to stand for the full 4 hours. Some 8 hour shifts were available on weekends, which is what I did, however standing on your feet for 8 hours was painful and made me dread going in. It's easy to get in trouble and one thing done wrong means you cannot progress within the company. It is a good place to meet other students and I have made some lifelong friends from working there.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Long hours with no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Primark. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K