Primark Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Alright if you dont have friends or a partner
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton21 June 2018
If you want to work full time you have to finish at 9pm non negotiable because they dont care about you and you are replaceable. They are always hiring but would prefer to give someone else the job instead of giving you more hours
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Management dont care about lowest employees
Horrible management
Customer Retail Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street21 June 2018
The work load at Primark is beyond inhumane. Managers expect new workers to be working at fast speeds by the second shift. Managers use customer assistants as slaves with no regard to their well-being. They are spoken to like dogs. It is terrible. The health and safety at the Marble Arch store is disgusting. The store's AC is not effective at all, causing workers to be working in their own sweat.

Managers do not know how to treat people fairly. HR team at primark are there for show. Terrible job.
Pros
It is a job.
Cons
Long hours, long unpaid breaks, bad managers
Not the worst but not the best
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent19 June 2018
I worked for Primark for 4 years and the work is simple but repetitive. The best part about the company is the people - most people are given specific shift patterns, therefore you work with mostly the same people every day, which allows you to form friendships that transcend the workplace.

There is no staff discount except for during 2 weeks around Christmas. The only other perk/benefit is that you can choose to pay into a pension and overtime is readily available.

In my particular store, the only problems I encountered were with the ever-changing management team (some managers were more approachable than others) and the constantly-moving displays.

I can honestly say that working here, I only ever felt appreciated by the management team about 3 times in the 4 years I worked there.
Pros
Christmas discount, simple work
Cons
Poor management, repetitive job, lack of appreciation.
Interesting workplace for my first work placement.
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  London19 June 2018
I went to Primark during my GCSE work placement. The pace was fast yet the team has welcomed me.

I worked in the home department, where I supplied the products on the shop floor. I also handled the returns, where I placed the returned products back to the correct place.
All round good job
Sales Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent18 June 2018
Worked here as a teen and enjoyed the work involved. Good job progression and great stocking up as you get to see new arrivals. Helping customers to find items and offering advice was enjoyable.
Cons
No staff discount
Very Unorganised
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds17 June 2018
Management, supervisors and staff do not communicate effectively and things usually don't go to plan and causes stress to staff and customers which then results in the customers complaining about the service they received but the management and supervisors still continue to not do anything about it and continue to wonder why they lose business and why they get more bad reviews than positive.
Pros
Plenty of overtime available
Cons
Very low pay rate, unorganised, lack of communication
Okay for a job between college
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basildon13 June 2018
Was great to begin with fitted around my college hours but now I’m looking for something more exciting, not really a place you can advance in, not enough opportunities.
Pros
Cons
You end up staying way longer than you expect to.
fun place to work in
retail operative (Current Employee) –  Harrow on the Hill, Greater London13 June 2018
primark is a good company to work for if you want to progress but when you are a retail operative the pay is not good at all and workload is a lot
you do meet new people
Pros
free uniform
working at primark
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire12 June 2018
personally i didn't enjoy working here. the atmosphere wasn't any good, you was never appreciated for what you did, a few of the management team were very lazy and didn't help you even though you asked several times.
Productive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London12 June 2018
Its a fun friendly place to work in and you do end up making lots of friends. Its an easy job but standing on your feet can make it difficult. it does get boring doing the same thing over and over again but you have plenty of customers with different questions.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant - Shop floor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 June 2018
Good place to work in general with convenient work hours and work allocation. The best aspect of this job is the environment surrounding you with vibrant colleagues who provide you with an uplifting energy during your day.
Fast paced environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester11 June 2018
Friendly staff and coworkers
Understanding managers
Opportunity for overtime offered to weekend staff
Fast paced environment, can be stressful
Easily laid out shop floor
Good breaks scheme
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Liverpool7 June 2018
A typical day at work is working on the tills and helping customers with choosing products. I have learned many retail skills and learned many new skills. It is a fun place and work.
Productive and fun Workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe2 June 2018
A typical day at work at Primark was enjoyable. All the staff were lovely and the job felt mostly rewarding, and helped me to develop my skill set and gain experience working in retail.
Pros
Good break allowances
Cons
Low pay per hour
Great place to work!
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colchester1 June 2018
Everyone is very friendly and it is a very comfortable place to work. I learnt excellent customer service and essential health and safety precautions applicable to any workplace.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Very hot during the summer due to lack of air con
A great place to work
Sales Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire1 June 2018
Lovely colleagues, loved my department, got on well with supervisors and managers , can be large deliveries but regular breaks coordinated with how many hours worked.
Productive and fun place to work.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire31 May 2018
Although primark is busy, hot and stressful to shop in working there is great.
I worked in Primark for 2 years, you will need good people skills in order to build close relationships with your team and managers.

The shifts go very very quickly as you are always busy, you make friends for life.

If you’re up for a busy atmosphere this is the job for you.

Sometimes Managment aren’t so understanding of shift changes for exams, college work etc. But you just have to be headstrong and state what you need.
Pros
Exciting atmosphere
Cons
Managment do not understand shift changes.
Standard Work Environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire29 May 2018
Management was friendly and helpful. The environment was very friendly and hard working. Also, a very sociable environment where everybody would converse and greet each other. No matter the role the person held.
Pros
Friendly, Helpful, Sociable
Cons
Short-breaks
Busy, hectic at times,good humoured colleagues
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth24 May 2018
Multi tasking, tills, recovering and tidying merchandise, delivery.
Great diversity of customers never a dull moment. important to work methodically and leave your area as tidy as possible, for colleagues to take over, as most work part time.
Pros
colleagues very friendly
Cons
Distinct divide between management and actual workforce
Unfortunately, a bad memory for me.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast23 May 2018
Primark was my first paid job, and I arrived eager and willing to learn. I left dejected and angry. The customers aren't that bad, they're the same that you'll find anywhere. The management on the other hand, are incompetent and arrogant.
Pros
The salary isn't bad
Cons
Completely moronic management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Primark. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K