Primark Employee Reviews in Newcastle upon Tyne

Strict but fun
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 August 2018
Working here has its pro and cons. The staff are wonderful and I get on with the majority of them. However, management are a different story. My supervisor is strict especially when she is in a mood, which makes my shift drag. As I am split across two floors on a weekend, I tend to prefer one floor to another, mainly because of my supervisors. Working here has helped me to develop my skills in retail, and I enjoy working on a till. I do sometimes feel victimised by management as they stop people talking to me, but I cant do anything about that. On the whole though, primark is an ok place to work as the pay is good.
Pros
Pay and friendly staff
Cons
productive and lovely place to work
Retail Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear16 May 2018
i have worked at primark over the christmas period ,and i loved been park of the primark team,i met alot of lovely co workers the managment and supervises are always there to help you ,it is a great place to work .
fun, friendley, fast pased
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne1 April 2018
working in Primark is a very fast pace place but with the help of all your team you always get through it as all of them are really friendly and will help you where they can if you get stuck. has to be the best jobs I've ever had!
Members of staff were the only reason I stayed so long
Retail Assistant (20hpw contract) (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 March 2018
I have worked there for the past two years and find the behaviour of management abhorrent and on the border of offensive with their treatment to staff, but other members of staff made working there bearable
Pros
A single 10% discount once a year(excluding reduced items)
Repetitive and Boring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne19 February 2018
Expected to do far more than what you get paid minimum wage to do, some of the workers are nice, most are miserable, probably due to how boring and repetitive the job is. Only positive is that the job is very simple but then again, that just makes the day drag. Also very strict with holidays.
Pros
making friends
Cons
boring
Easy but tiring, a bit monotonous
Temporary Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 January 2018
It was an easy job, everyday was the same. I worked there over Christmas so i wasn't given any of the major roles but i mostly enjoyed my time there. I worked in the stock room which could be quite tiring as you had to lift boxes, push trollies, fill the shop floor etc, but time went fast if you focused on what you were doing. The management are all really nice and understanding, however you could tell there was some favouritism.
I would definitely recommend working there.
Pros
most of the people i worked with
Cons
there was some cattiness from some members of staff, but you have to ignore that and just get on with the job
N/a
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear30 January 2018
the staff at primark are friendly and the only reason ive stayed there that long the on the other hand are the reason i want to leave,that and because of the budget theres no overtime to april meaning im living paycheck to paycheck barly getting by
feels like family
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear19 January 2018
great place to work.
great people and great environment.
you don't realise how good of a place it is until your no longer there and now I'd give anything to be back.
Primark
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear14 December 2017
I like working at primark as it is fun and you get 10% off items there. I have made a lot of friends and I have been very hardworking and have earn a couple of wows off customers. Staff are friendly, place is tidy and run smoothly. Security are friendly also.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Bad customers
work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear10 November 2017
i quite enjoyed working at primark, it was a busy fast paced envrionment and i learnt a lot about customers and working on tills. i didnt enjoy the hours
Fun
Retail Operative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 September 2017
Primark is a nice place to work as they have many other staff members which are easy to get along with. Days can be very busy especially during the Christmas period but at other times it can be very quiet. Always kept busy with stuff to do and it's a nice job to be in.
Would recommend
Till Operator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle North, Tyne and Wear25 August 2017
Nothing negative to say!
Great place to work if you like being busy, this is the job for you.
Friendly staff, plenty of overtime available if required.
Pros
Very busy, time goes very quick
Cons
No staff discount
good if you want part time work
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne18 August 2017
if you just want a part time job then Primark is ideal. you do your 4 hours a day 5 days and week and that's that. working on the tills or the floors, the staff on your floor are friendly once you become familiar with them and you can have a good laugh.

overtime is available one week then taken away the next to the extent that managers offer staff time off at short notice to suit the company. overtime defiantly cant be relied on if you need to work more hours. the only benefit of working for Primark is getting weekends off when on a weekday contract.

uniform tops are provided by the company and you will be told that you must wear black shoes/trainers and will be questioned by supervisors and management if you aren't, then other members of staff will wear what they like with nothing ever mentioned. very frustrating!

the managers don't spend enough time of the shop floor, looking at how difficult it can be to keep it tidy ect and they have unrealistic expectations of the staff because of this.
Pros
weekends off, good laugh with staff
Cons
unreliable overtime and little support from management
Couldn't be happier
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear5 August 2017
I love working here. I've been here for about a year and honestly it's helped my grow as a person and taught me so many skills. The staff are easy to get on with and care about each other. It's easy to get overtime and we get paid more then min wage. However with the types of customers we deal with I do think a pay rise would be appreciated. I'm 18 and with the over time as I'm only weekend staff and I do about 60+ hours a month and I love it.
Pros
Staff friendly, availability, breaks
Cons
Horrible customers
Good work ethic
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear5 July 2017
While working for this company I recieved a great welcoming followed by a great social life. Work life was also positive which produced a great job culture.
fast-paced, enjoyable, hard work
Till Operative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear11 June 2017
Lots of tasks to get done, can be extremely tedious when not on the tills. Most enjoyable part of the job is serving customers at the tills. The least enjoyable is doing returns and pickups i.e. picking up shoes and placing in correct place.
Pay is good, though, there are no benefits for staff whatsoever.
Ok for a starting point.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne27 April 2017
I took this job when I started Uni so it was only temp, but I didn't enjoy it so much. Busy times were hard and there was continuous mess to tidy up. Other colleagues didn't seem to pull their weight so I was left with a lot of the work.

No benefits of working here really, no discounts for staff and you end up spending all of your money seeing all the stuff there every day!

Hardest part - been given too much to do.

Enjoyable part - nothing really!
Pros
Easy to get to
Cons
Very busy and messy!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 February 2017
Friendly environment
Good Management
High paced customer throughput
Listen to the staff
Good Location
Good Employees
Day goes quickly due to workload which is great
Been here 10 years and love it
Pros
Goood Environment
Cons
Limited Shift Patterns
sales asisstant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear26 January 2017
its a very busy work environment, involves interacting with customers and putting stock out. there is not many full time contracts most contracts are 20 hours.
A company with no ethics
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 January 2017
The shop only cares about money and nothing else. The staff are not valued whatsoever, resulting in poor morale and lack of motivation. Management are in majority not very useful, all they do is walk around on their phones.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Primark. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K