Primark Employee Reviews

enjoyable but also demanding
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire20 September 2018
typical weekends are very busy and constantly fast paced, there were more social aspects that were nice to have grown in over the year i had been there.there are however very little benefits and sometime working in all the sociable hours in the weekend.
Pros
made good friends, enjoyable work
Cons
extremely demanding work at times
good money
Temporary retail sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex20 September 2018
Primark is a stable environment to work in if you need the money and would like a simple job. it is not hard to get into and after a while you get the hang of it, you will make many amazing friends there.
Pros
good pay
Cons
rude staff
fun,exiting and fast pace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire20 September 2018
working at Primark is a fast pace job at times however the staff and amazing and fun to work with. at Primark the managers are always friendly and helpful they will help you with anything you need weather you are new to the job or have been there for a while
Pros
flexiable hours
Primark
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hammersmith19 September 2018
As this was my first job, i went in with high expectation that I would enjoy my shifts but the Management teams on the shop floor were incredibly rude and unsympathetic. Management will treat you like a robot and will openly swear at colleagues. Workplace culture was amazing and I got on with everyone i worked with as they are near enough my age. I learnt customer service skills and how to deal with complaints. I was also till trained as I wanted to gain more confidence talking to customers.
Pros
Cons
horrible
Productive and fast paced workplace
Sales Operative / Tills (Former Employee) –  Bolton18 September 2018
I enjoyed my employment time at Primark never had any complaints the staff were helpful, understanding and friendly. The environment was fast paced which I enjoyed and pay was always above minimum wage.
sales
Primark Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe18 September 2018
Although I worked as a work experience they made me run around for free. Giving a job to do 24 hours a day which was stressing
I looked like a right nonce in there uniform because I didn't heart primark
Interesting and Tayloristic
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hammersmith17 September 2018
A typical day on the shopfloor at Primark tends to be somewhat unpredictable and at times monotonous. I am often required to switch from department to department in order to make sure that one department is not too messy and is presentable to customers. Stock is normally distributed in the mornings when its quieter and then I normally am put on tills.

During my time at Primark I have learnt the following ; Ability to balance multiple tasks, the ability to work under pressure, developed a sense of understanding and compassion when dealing with certain customers, the capability of completing a group task in a given time period, efficient ability to use till.

Management in Primark varies from supervisor and manager but it is mostly tightly managed and Tayloristic. Department structure is often determined by a supervisor.

The hardest part of the job would be the monotonous cashier tasks which get repetitive quite quickly.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping customers that need assistance and being acknowledged for it.
Pros
Discounts, friendly colleagues
Cons
Hard to get overtime
Enjoyable Workplace.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Doncaster17 September 2018
A typical day at work at Primark is normally really busy, my role is put out close which can be a bit of a challenge when the shop floor is really busy. The shop is usually full of shoppers, o matter what time of day it is or on the weather. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the rest of my colleges on the fill team, we all get along really well and have built strong friendships.
Pros
Really good pay, free work tops and same hours of work everyweek.
Cons
Can't always get overtime.
Great Place To Work !!
Customer Service Assitant (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire14 September 2018
Friendly staff
Adjustable hours
Really enjoyed working there
Helpful approachable staff if you have any problems
One of the nicest places i have worked, just a shame it was a temp job :(
Poor management
retail operative (Former Employee) –  Folkestone13 September 2018
Managers are overpaid whilst staff are underpaid creating a huge divide. One person expected to carry out the work of two or more people. Always understaffed with high staff turnover. Store manager is disrespectful and talks to all staff in a condescending tone, snapping at staff for no reason often bringing employees to tears. Staff moral is low. No perks. No appreciation for work carried out. Whatever you do is never enough. Terrible place to work
Pros
Great floor staff
Cons
Micro management
Okay place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire13 September 2018
I can think of worse places to work but you don't feel a great sense of achievement and find it ends up being a chore just go to work here and then waiting to go home. Even if you put the extra effort in and that extra mile it tends to go unnoticed so you often feel what's the point. There isn't a easy progression ladder unless you are in with the right crowd and circles. The training is far and few and you will find you will just learn on the job through help from other staff or just from your own mistakes. It was a great job to get me through collage and university but it's not some where you want to stay for a long time as you will get bored and frustrated.
Alot of staff seem to have a can't be bothered attitude which seems to fall from the top of the tree down.
Hardest part of the job feels to be just turning up and the most enjoyable is going home.
Poor management
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside12 September 2018
Found them difficult to work under- stroppy if you wouldn’t do extra shifts, stay late etc. Rest of staff were very cliquey too, stuck with the people from their floor et.
Satisfactory workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 September 2018
Management and the Primark I was in were terrible, they did absolutely nothing but refused to let staff members get a drink or got to the toilet during a quiet part of their shift. Requested days of leave were constantly declined, despite being requested during the required time frame. The managers favourite members of staff however, were treated in exception to this, they would disappear for sometimes up to an hour and no action would be taken against them.
Cons
Inflexible, rude members of staff, weekday and weekend staff treated entirely differently, low wages.
Really good money for Under 21's
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth12 September 2018
I have worked in a few Primark stores for a number of years and each store runs completely differently. I loved one store I worked at as the staff were all friendly and management were very helpful. However, I worked in another store which was the complete opposite.

Its quite a tedious job but the pay is good for under 21's (£7.38) as opposed to minimum wage elsewhere.

Usually opportunities to get overtime if needed but not guaranteed. Overall an ok place to work.
Pros
Pay, Overtime, Easy job, short shifts
Cons
Tedious, Treated badly by customers
Not Satisfactory
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey12 September 2018
- working on tills and helping on shop floor not much work to do
- learnt how to operate a till machine
- management are not easy to talk to
- lonely and favouritism occurs a lot
- working long hours with little breaks
- going home earlier
Pros
discount at xmas
Cons
boring job
Busy work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tottenham Court Road11 September 2018
Very busy work environment. A range of different customers from all over the world. Fast paced working environment. Very busy during the day and evening.
Extremely fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London11 September 2018
I really did enjoy my time at Primark, everyone on the team were super friendly, most of the customers were super friendly, it made it very easy to want to work at primark.
Good stabile job lots of hours and always overtime
Supervisor (Customer Service) (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire8 September 2018
Good place to work and the people you work with will be friends forever some time you get a large work load and moved to different places with in the business to suit its need but it give you better experiance as you get to know the business well
Good student job
Primark as a Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London7 September 2018
This job is an ideal first job but it's difficult when trying to sustain it for long. Days are long and tiring but tills are great. Essentially you need a thick skin to get through the day.
Pros
Community of staff
Robotic industry
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Gateshead7 September 2018
Suck the life out of you. No fun aloud. Was actually told not to smile by a manager once as it looks as though we were chatting behind tills. Joke company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Primark. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K