Pret A Manger
Pret A Manger Employee Review

Thank you, NEXT!

23 May 2019
On any given day, I was asked to work harder and faster. Management does NOT communicate with each other, let alone the team members. In my shop, the managers go outside to smoke cigarettes multiple times a day and often take their favorite team members with them. It seems as if they target certain people until that person pushed themselves to the brink of exhaustion or until someone else comes along to dislike. Gossiping and backstabbing is a major focus. Every month there seems to be a new focus. Training for me and others mostly happens at home when we are not getting paid. There is no appreciation for those who actually are acting as team members because one tiny mistake and you’re on the chopping block... or for no mistakes, but management doesn’t like you. The most common phrase I have heard from management is: “I don’t have time.” Somehow, the team members are expected to make time for everything. Also, the nationality of the manager is usually the nationality that will be hired/promoted the most. Also, if you’re management your can talk in your native tongue, but all other languages spoken by other staff members is somehow unacceptable. I started taking antidepressants and having to see a therapist because of this job. The stress and mental anguish is definitely not worth it.
Pros
Free lunch, a free water bottle and getting paid
Cons
Unorganized management, rude behavior, being made to feel like I don’t matter, daily new rules and expectations
28 July 2020
Same role
Hot Chef (Current Employee) - Victoria, Greater London
Good flexibility, fast paced. Adaptable. Always learning new things, good people, good food. Great work parties. Made lots of friends. Manager was fantastic
13 June 2020
Same role
Hot food chef (Current Employee) - Sheffield
i learnt a lot about food, barista, customers. You need to 100% follow the rules to be safe. I like the job because of the environment and friendly peoples.
2 August 2020
Same location
Team Member/Leader (Former Employee) - London, Greater London
Horrible and disgusting General manager, used his power to intimidate and scare team members, if you had an issue or problem in the job you didn't enjoy he would just tell you to leave and quit. He had favourites and spoke about employees he didn't like and was very vocal expressing that he wanted to get rid of certain team members and get a new team. Shortly after he joined the team alot of people left. Worst GM ever! Disappointed with how HR dealt with the many grievances the team made against the manager, am honestly shocked he is still GM in that Pret.
Cons
Management, lack of HR support, no integrity, politics
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.