Pret A Manger
Pret A Manger Employee Review

Horrible

10 November 2019
Worked in the company 8 years but the way the company is run in this area is an absolute disaster. Managers are forced to cheat on results and break standards just so that the area manager looks good on paper, though he stays at home most of the days whilst the shops collapse.

Since 2018 there is so much pressure in getting the standards right however I’ve seen kitchens running on two people on night shifts and even one on day shift (where four people are required per shift) as area management does want figures to be right on paper- this could cause enormous issues if something went wrong I.e. allergens.

People are over stretched and tired since the pressure to achieve selection in stores is high but not enough labour in. I have been questioned why do I need to work 14-16 hours a day when no one is asking to yet being told going on underperformance if I over spend on hours.

Over 200 people have pret in this area since last year, as well as 8 managers and assistant managers in 8 shops, so numbers speak on their own.

We as managers aim to make our teams happy and safe however the over stretching on labour just made us cover the gaps over and over not realising the biggest gap was within us unable to have a normal life or humanity due to the amount of hours being psychologically forced into work.

I have met great people and higher management in this company but there is an unacceptable level of fear culture up here in Edinburgh, where people believe they won’t actually be okay if they quit their job if unhappy. It’s 2019 and if your employer raises you to be scared
 - more...
18 May 2020
Same role
General Manager (Former Employee) - Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
loved pret, amazing team and company, the time spent empowering the team was outstanding. I worked for 2 amazing managers who really looked after me, I was very sad to leave.
26 February 2020
Same role
General Manager (Former Employee) - London
I worked for Pret for 25 years and progressed from Team Member up to General Manager and beyond. I would recommend Pret to anyone for its outstanding training, development and work environment
15 September 2020
Same location
Front of House Leader (Former Employee) - Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh
Like in any job there were pros and cons, but let me tell you this: it’s perfect for single people, with 0 responsibilities and basically willing to be working even from their days Off if the business needed it or agree to be cut hours otherwise.
I met great people during my stay with the company as well as bullies.

Good pay but the amount of stress and anxiety given are overwhelming and alarming.

People gossip a lot behind your back and always, always pass duties from one to another, the most often to the newest staff Member which is hardly nice.

Pros
Free food and sometimes nice colleagues.
Cons
90% of the time.