Pret A Manger Employee Review

View all Pret A Manger reviews

Sometimes great, sometimes awful
Team member; barista; hot chef (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 August 2018
I've worked with Pret on and off for about a year, in 4 different stores all in different environments. I enjoyed the buzz within stores, the sounds, smells and great atmosphere for customers. I liked the fact that Pret take so much pride in the quality of their products, it's how they achieve this that I disagree with.

I found that the management, especially team leaders, were highly critical and didn't understand the concept of re-training if you made a mistake; instead of explaining what went wrong and how to do something a different/better way, they would stop you and completely go over everything, but would be so condescending doing it that you wouldn't take on board what they had said, and would often punish you, whether it was to take away your bonus or make you spend more time doing mediocre "training" on an iPad.

The culture within the company speaks of growth and personal development, but all they seem to do is try to create robots that operate at 100mph and have no personality.

I've seen a TMT (trainer) shouted at because he hadn't turned the kitchen radio on (it was broken), I've been shouted at because I wasn't fast enough on coffee, all because after 5 years of being a barista in other chains, and independents, I refuse to re heat milk as it is disgusting and burns it. Apparently a few seconds to empty a jug or periodically rinse it is illegal and I deserve to be shouted at. The team leader that time then threw a tantrum and started cleaning every jug saying that if i was that bothered I shouldn't be a barista, I should work as a potwash.

The amount
  more... of times I was expected to stay on after my Rota'd hours UNPAID mounts up to almost a full week of work. If you refused to they would take your bonus and sometimes issue disciplinaries. Yet, if the shift is delayed because someone had a late break or we are short staffed or something didnt get done at the right time, it's the team leaders fault! They often spend hours doing the banking, I've worked as a team leader at other companies and banking 6 tills takes 45 mins to an hour, not 3 hours!

One of the only saving graces to working here is the above average salary, the bonus (if you get it that week) and the free food and paid break.

I'd sacrifice a paid break and a free lunch for a decent environment to work in where I'm not shouted at daily, and made to feel sub human.
Pros
Free food, staff benefits, parties, potential for a bonus
Cons
Everything else as mentioned in the review.

Other Pret A Manger Employee Reviews

Very bad!
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 October 2019
Toxic work environment where you work really hard for minimum reward. Poor pay working 60 hour weeks to live. Not worth hurting your health. Badly managed, bullying environment.
HQ - Corporate bullies live here
Head office (Current Employee) –  Victoria, London, Greater London21 October 2019
This used to be a great place to work and mostly the people are great people but becoming more and more corporate.
The benefits aren’t that great you might get free lunch but good luck trying to get a pay increase or even paid fairly for your level. People don’t seem to get promoted unless you are a bully or belittle your team members. The place is toxic.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Bullies, low pay, politics, sexism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.