Pret A Manger Employee Review

View all Pret A Manger reviews

fun and sociable workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Luton17 October 2019
working at pret was good as the pay is great and the job is very easy to pick up. my colleagues were always great and i always felt welcome here. bonuses are amazing, lots of holiday time and they are understanding of illness.

Other Pret A Manger Employee Reviews

Not all places are fun
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Camden Town, Greater London15 November 2019
I've worked in some kitchens from pret now after 3 months working there, and any of then made me want to keep working there, in fact only made me wanna quit even more. I'm very unhappy with this company would not recommend anyone to work there...
Disappointed
Barista (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 November 2019
With previous barista/ management experience I was excited to start work at Pret. I had interview and trial shift and then was offered barista job. While on the job I understood that certain management have their favourites giving them favours and allowing them to work less then others.
If you had any problem with work or coworker, managers encouraged you not to speak out, but if you complained they do nothing. They like to sweep thing under the carpet. If you complain to head office, they will promise you support, but really do nothing about it.
Pay, they pay above minimum wage but not allowing you to accept tips. They promise you bonus which is good in quieter shops, but If you work in busy place like station, you always loose the bonus as it’s too busy to keep shop clean and immaculate at all times. So you better of working In quieter Pret, because you work less and get paid more.
The job itself very busy and energy consuming. You make coffee non stop, and their coffee calling system is more stressful than effective. They ask you to remember 10 drinks at the time. After few months of bashing out the drinks non stop I have developed triggered finger. It took five months for my finger to heal after leaving this job, but in some cases it requires a surgery to get triggered finger back to normal according to NHS. They ask baristas to be very outgoing and entertaining, to create the buzz. So if you have a quieter more introverted personality you might struggle, as you are required to put on a show all day every day, they call it Pret behaviour.
Strange thing was that Pret
  more... ask you to read and sign a lot of training programmes with their standards, but in reality staff and managers don’t follow the standards (especially the hygiene standards such as washing hands), they only follow standards when area manager is around.
Managers always messed up with the pay, mostly underpaying you. So if you work for Pret, keep track of the hours. You end up chasing your pay afterwards. Also keep track of the pension contribution they pay you, I had to chase them to pay all the amount they deducted from my pay. They did pay in the end months later.
Some manager crossed the line by using phrase like ’work my slaves’ and on several occasions manager was casually pinching staffs bottoms as if it was ok, but it is not ok.
Another annoying thing was that they promote use of foreign languages, so if you only speak English you might struggle, as most people speak foreign languages and they don’t care that some people feel isolated and left out, since most employees are foreign. If you mentioned that to manager, you get reply ‘Are you paranoid that they talking about you?’

Now the good things: you get paid break and free lunch. You also get paid, not always correct amount but at least get paid every week. And you get holiday pay, but then law requires them to pay you. Also you can take all sandwiches home after finished work. Another good thing is that you can have unlimited coffees, so if you like coffee like I do that’s a bonus.

It is almost like Pret once was a great company but then became too big to keep control and order, as they have everything on the paper, but very little in reality.

Personally I would not recommend to work for Pret to a friend. But that’s just my observation based on working in two different Pret shops.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.