Pret A Manger Employee Reviews for Barista

Decent Team, Hard to work for
Barista/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tottenham Court Road18 September 2019
The amount of times I’ve had to throw myself in front of my team and some random drunk person. There’s not much security. People always stealing. Sometimes things are made harder than they should be as
Stressful, not worth
Barista (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London16 September 2019
Pret is a waste of time! We work like slaves, don't get paid living wage, bonus system is broken when mystery shopper has a bad day we pay for it. Managers sit in office bossing us around like animal!
Very poorly run company.
I learned a lot specially the language!
Barista (Current Employee) –  Oxford Circus Station9 September 2019
I’m very happy to be barista at Pret A Manger, my colleagues they help me a lot specially for the language and now I’m more confident and I think that now I feel good when I need to help the customer or the other people
Don't go in pret
Barista/Waitress (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 August 2019
Worst ever work experience in London.
If you love your self don'twork for them
They dont care about noone
And everyone want to escape, even the manager, so pls dont go
Abuse in position! Not paid for positions
Coffee Barista (Former Employee) –  London South East, Greater London8 August 2019
I worked on coffee in the morning and was not paid a raise after training. My graduation was moved to other date all time so I dont receive raise. I complain, now they move me to late shift closing coffee area. Manager and leaders lie to us have favourits. I was bullied out of shop. I quit job dont ever want to work there again. Unfriendly company!
Micromanaged slave work
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  london, united kingdom12 July 2019
I expected slave work to be in the past but at Pret A Manger you are treated like dirt!!! Since the expension we work harder for less many benefits are cut and team members leave.
waste of time
Barista (Former Employee) –  High Street Cheltenham11 July 2019
very busy coffee shop, no work/life balance, staff calling sick every day so every day was short in staff, no pay for doing extra hours,unexperience and unprofesional managment,
Pros
free lunch
Cons
everything else
stimolante e amichevole
Barista (Former Employee) –  Londra9 June 2019
ambiente dove si può crescere velocemente dimostrando le proprie capacità
Porażka
Barista (Former Employee) –  Stansted Airport26 May 2019
Pracowałam w tej firmie ponad 2 lata, na początku wydawało się spoko, póki nie przejdziesz 12ttgodniowego treningu, później zaczynają się schody, menagerowie i leaderzy traktują Cię jak smiecia, dla nich jesteś tylko numerem, robią z dzieci asystentów-którzy nie umieją zarządzać, personel jest w ogromnym stresie, często ludzie dzwonią na sicka bo BOJĄ się przyjść do pracy, mają bóle na tle nerwowym, menagerowie najpierw Wydrą się na Ciebie a później każą stać na kasie i się uśmiechać, często między zmianami nie wychodzi 12h przerwy a jak prosisz o zmianę znów zostajesz wysmiany, kiedy idziesz na rozmowę do generalnego menagera (o warunkach, jakie panują) to nic z tego sobie nie robi i to TM jest wtedy najgorszy, przykre jest też to że head office nie widzi problemu i się nie zainteresuje tym że w bardzo krótkim czasie odeszło bardzo wielu długoletnich pracowników że stanowisk, dla najgorszego wroga nie życzę żeby tam trafił!!!!
Pros
Brak
Cons
Częsty brak bonusu, zła organizacja, źle traktowanie wszystko na nie
Stancante
Barista (Former Employee) –  Londra3 May 2019
Ho lavorato per un anno per Pret a Manger, 8 mesi in cucina e gli ultimi 4 come barista.
In cucina è veramente massacrante ma di buono c'è che si lavora con la musica e sempre con almeno altre 3 persone. Ma è stressante e come tale si creano problemi coi colleghi.
Come barista si vive meglio.
Pret soldiers
Barista (Former Employee) –  London2 May 2019
You’re not a human in their eyes, more like a slave. The management rubbish, they doesn’t care for you.
They’re not listening, just reply...
no opportunity, no life.
Pros
Non
Cons
everything
Constantly understaffed
Barista/Team Member (Current Employee) –  St Albans18 April 2019
Worked in this company for a year.Typical day at work would be clearing tables,working on tills,coffee machine,making hot and cold food.This company promises you pay above minimum wage,but they will slave your for every extra penny,that they pay you.Manager constantly cutting hours,to get their bonus(managers only).So we are always understaffed.They have high standards to ask you to smile constantly and have everything perfect at all times,but by cutting hours some staff are forced to work for 3 people or so fast,that you are literally catching your breath and running a marathon from the minute you start to shift to the end of it.Constantly being dehydrated at work,because you are not allowed to keep your water bottle while working(often felt thirsty and having headaches).Sometimes didn't even have time to go to bathroom properly.And I have been used to hard work in busy places my whole life as I worked in fast paced food industry for more than 10 years.They have mystery shopper bonus,but lately it was also a fail as they will ask you allergen related question and you have to direct them to Team leader or manager so technically they will take over and you loose your chance for outstanding service bonus,which you can get if your service is excellent(100£ or 200£).The best part of this place was my colleagues,that I worked with.When I started,some of them were so experienced and working many years-I learned a lot from them.But through this one year at least 8 long term staff has left,few of them working 5 years at least because of manager,that doesn't care about their staff,doesn't  more... appreciate their hard work and and if she have personal dislike,she will sack you and find reasons how to get rid of you.I literally can't tell if my review is based on company overall or just this manager,but she surely has ruined my view at company,because I felt like I have been working so hard and literally multitasking to another level,where you are left on tills alone,quickly running to clear tables,wash china and trays,clean toilets,run to kitchen to make soups,come back make coffee,do the delivery,make sure you food display has proper amount of food available for sale,bake hoot food and above all the serve customers at the same time and manage to prepare to close shop,where you have to wash every table and chairs-sofas,floor,bin stations,toilets etc.(the area is huge).I have learned,how to travel in time here.Like I said I don't mind working hard apart from that You always end up late to finish your shift,which nobody pays for and if you leave unfinished ,you will get sacked or given note of concern.This lovely manager will give you note of concern for smallest things,that you do wrong,so prepare to be perfect or robot.She has also taken my bonus,when I arrived at tills 2 minutes late and never taken it from people,that she favours more for the same time of lateness.Never paid my minutes after I had to stay after my working hours,or she would go telling,that am bad staff.She lied about Christmas period holidays,when she told me no one is allowed to go on holidays,but 5 people was.Ended up few people working including me during the busiest season of the year,some of the got sick from overworking.Also finally let me to get trained on coffee for coffee start specialist during Christmas season(because she had no one else to work) and literally did not provide any training,because she was to busy for that.After Christmas period ended.when I asked If I can be promoted to barista,declined-said I not good enough for that-don't want to pay you more.So did not train me at all and expects master coffee specialist straight away.Just felt like I have been used to patch up her Christmas period time.Finally gone to all staff,that ever had some dislike with me and promoted them to write abusive and false letters about me,because I reported Christmas understaffed period to head office.The last straw,that I have had enough,is allowing for 11 months of the service I am there taking free coffee before I start to work and suddenly I have to pay for that.Why are you allowing it and then decide to not allow it anymore? and just for me,because the favorite staff she still allows it and even to give food outside their food allowance for girlfriends,family etc. Because of this she has yet again got me in trouble for creating situation,where she allows something,writes a complain,that I am doing something against her will and denies ,that she have ever said,that she allowed in first place.She doesn't care about nothing unless it's dollar signs in her eyes.Everyone,who she feels threatened by or have different opinion about something-she will eliminate.She is a boss,not a leader.  less
Pros
free food, paid brakes, weekly bonus
Cons
Bad managment
Sugar-coated slavery
Barista (Former Employee) –  London15 March 2019
The worst company I've ever worked for. Dishonest. Exploitative. Discriminatory. The HR depertament is a joke and the general managers or operation managers are either highly psychopathic or incompetent.
Fast paced
Barista (Former Employee) –  Southampton12 March 2019
A fast paced working environment where there is always something to do
Friendly work colleagues from all around the world
Good pay and bonus scheme with mystery shopper
It's like a restaurant. It serve fresh food and give the overleft sandwiches to the charity every night. It is a big and profitable company
Coffee Barista (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 January 2019
There is extra working hours .
Free food on your work time.
50% discount on everything you want to buy
Mystery shopper bonus every week( we might loose if we didn't hit).
High customer services standard and very friendly atmosphere.
Team work a s lots of fun and buzz.
Twice a week we have a big party. Summer party and Christmas party. Also every last Friday of a month we going to pub for free drinks.
I learnt how to work in a busy atmosphere, how to handle problems and give the best customer service. Also to make a hot drink with in a minute and so on.
The hardest part of the job is when it's busy time everyday at breakfast 8a.m to 10a.m and 12.30p.m to 14.pm we need to serve 1 customer in 1 minute so I need to be very fast and remember all hot drinks in first call first serve bases.
Pros
Free lunches and 50% discount in everything, bonus
Cons
When we loose the bonus
Fast and Fun workplace
Team Member, Barista (Former Employee) –  London23 November 2018
Great organizational culture, awesome training system. Everything is so standardized, structured and convenient. Great salary. Everyone is respectful and friendly. I loved working at Pret!
dificil
Barista (Former Employee) –  londres21 November 2018
un empresa con mucho estándar y con mucho clientes con poco comprension con la dificultad del trabajo
basic skills
Barista (Former Employee) –  London6 November 2018
It was a lovely place to work, amazing people, energetic environment, lovely customers.
customer service realy quick.
Not realy well pay comparing with your key roles.
Pros
Nice team
Cons
bad programs, night shifts, early start (like realy early)
ambiente lavorativo flessibile
Barista/Team member star (Former Employee) –  londra17 September 2018
grazie a questo lavoro ho potuto approfondire la mia esperienza nel campo del costumer service, stando a stretto contatto con tantissime persone provenienti da paesi diversi.
Pros
cibo e bevande gratis
Cons
30 min di pausa per 8 ore lavorative
Sometimes great, sometimes awful
Team member; barista; hot chef (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 August 2018
I've worked with Pret on and off for about a year, in 4 different stores all in different environments. I enjoyed the buzz within stores, the sounds, smells and great atmosphere for customers. I liked the fact that Pret take so much pride in the quality of their products, it's how they achieve this that I disagree with.

I found that the management, especially team leaders, were highly critical and didn't understand the concept of re-training if you made a mistake; instead of explaining what went wrong and how to do something a different/better way, they would stop you and completely go over everything, but would be so condescending doing it that you wouldn't take on board what they had said, and would often punish you, whether it was to take away your bonus or make you spend more time doing mediocre "training" on an iPad.

The culture within the company speaks of growth and personal development, but all they seem to do is try to create robots that operate at 100mph and have no personality.

I've seen a TMT (trainer) shouted at because he hadn't turned the kitchen radio on (it was broken), I've been shouted at because I wasn't fast enough on coffee, all because after 5 years of being a barista in other chains, and independents, I refuse to re heat milk as it is disgusting and burns it. Apparently a few seconds to empty a jug or periodically rinse it is illegal and I deserve to be shouted at. The team leader that time then threw a tantrum and started cleaning every jug saying that if i was that bothered I shouldn't be a barista, I should work as a potwash.

The amount
  more... of times I was expected to stay on after my Rota'd hours UNPAID mounts up to almost a full week of work. If you refused to they would take your bonus and sometimes issue disciplinaries. Yet, if the shift is delayed because someone had a late break or we are short staffed or something didnt get done at the right time, it's the team leaders fault! They often spend hours doing the banking, I've worked as a team leader at other companies and banking 6 tills takes 45 mins to an hour, not 3 hours!

One of the only saving graces to working here is the above average salary, the bonus (if you get it that week) and the free food and paid break.

I'd sacrifice a paid break and a free lunch for a decent environment to work in where I'm not shouted at daily, and made to feel sub human.
Pros
Free food, staff benefits, parties, potential for a bonus
Cons
Everything else as mentioned in the review.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.

Pret A Manger Reviews by Location