Pret A Manger
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Pret A Manger Employee Reviews in Edinburgh

Edinburgh10 reviews
Like in any job there were pros and cons, but let me tell you this: it’s perfect for single people, with 0 responsibilities and basically willing to be working even from their days Off if the business needed it or agree to be cut hours otherwise.
I met great people during my stay with the company as well as bullies.

Good pay but the amount of stress and anxiety given are overwhelming and alarming.

People gossip a lot behind your back and always, always pass duties from one to another, the most often to the newest staff Member which is hardly nice.

Pros
Free food and sometimes nice colleagues.
Cons
90% of the time.
For that kind of money they expecting from you to much. Avoid this company at any cost to much pressure and shortage of staff worst company I being worked for :(
I've worked in hospitality for 20+ years and pret is definitely one of the easier jobs I've had over the years and although you do have to work hard and to a good pace I'm given more than ample time to complete all given tasks. There's plenty opportunity for progression if your prepared to put in the effort. I get on well with management and staff and so long as you work hard then there shouldn't be any problems.
Never enough people at the shift to do the job they ask to do(which is millions). They wan't team members to be not human, basically, smile like an idiot all times, not have human needs( going to toilet, drinking water, rest). Being not well is seen as being a weakness but....look, we all are human and we get sick or not well at times. Even though I had a nice first years at this company, something happened and the changes in the Edinburgh area made it worse... The management style became hardcore slavery implementation in every day. I would recommend to run away from this company as far away as you can if you wan't to keep your sanity, your self respect, your mental health and your private life intact.
Please look for another place, the benefits that this company offers are not worth all the trouble and bullying you will have to go through. The money they pay(looks good on paper) is not enough for the work amount you do . The Mystery shopper bonus now is almost impossible to get because you will always be short of staff and will be in a lot of stress and the tasks that you have to do will be impossible to be done in a normal human way. You will have to give all your blood and energy and will finish your shift sucked dry and will not have any wish to do anything you usually like to do after work.

The good thing: Pret has given me....well, 2 things- Experience and I met amazing people who are still my friends and will always be. No other good things, even though free food sounds good, you get fed up with it over time so I wouldn't say it is a good thing.

P.S. years ago
 - more...
Worked in the company 8 years but the way the company is run in this area is an absolute disaster. Managers are forced to cheat on results and break standards just so that the area manager looks good on paper, though he stays at home most of the days whilst the shops collapse.

Since 2018 there is so much pressure in getting the standards right however I’ve seen kitchens running on two people on night shifts and even one on day shift (where four people are required per shift) as area management does want figures to be right on paper- this could cause enormous issues if something went wrong I.e. allergens.

People are over stretched and tired since the pressure to achieve selection in stores is high but not enough labour in. I have been questioned why do I need to work 14-16 hours a day when no one is asking to yet being told going on underperformance if I over spend on hours.

Over 200 people have pret in this area since last year, as well as 8 managers and assistant managers in 8 shops, so numbers speak on their own.

We as managers aim to make our teams happy and safe however the over stretching on labour just made us cover the gaps over and over not realising the biggest gap was within us unable to have a normal life or humanity due to the amount of hours being psychologically forced into work.

I have met great people and higher management in this company but there is an unacceptable level of fear culture up here in Edinburgh, where people believe they won’t actually be okay if they quit their job if unhappy. It’s 2019 and if your employer raises you to be scared
 - more...
Terrible place to work
Everyone stressed

Arguments overworked

Have to beg for a break

no one stays. poor training .abrubt people

Poorly managed short staffedstaffed
Stressful job no time for proper training it's looking super on the paper and internet but in reality it's something totally different . cutting hours in most shops
the team is amazing, and it is good to have a laugh. However, very early starts and you are pressured to perform from the minute you arrive to them unite you leave with sometimes additional work to do. Management do not care for you, which leaves you feeling replaceable, even if you are the hardest working person it is not good enough or more is expected
Really good place to work, I've met really good persons on this company.
Sometimes the rota is not that good. But I fully recommend!
Pros
Good rate, free meals
Cons
Rotas
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Pret A Manger?
Very hard working job. I was working in the kitchen. You need to wake up early in the morning around 4:00am to get on time to your shift.
You have a limited time to do your job everyday but this time limit is a joke.

You have thousand of standards to respect, but it's impossible to finish on time if you follow all of them. So everyday you need to decide if you are going to finish on time or if you want to follow all the standards. Of course, the pressure of the leaders is always there and you cant lose 1 minute. Sometimes I felt scared to go to the toilet and waste my time.

The managers were not organized, a lot of times, they give me the next rota just the day before the week starts.

Also, expect to do a lot of task above your salary.
Pros
Free lunch, salary and bonus
Cons
No Organization.