Pret A Manger
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Pret A Manger Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Birmingham10 reviews
Fun place to work but very early starts and very demanding. Not bad pay and good benefits. All online training. Like most companies, a mixture of different types of management .
I had to do training at first ..and tge work force is good ..and understanding..always some one help you with anything..i love training to the tms ..online courses to complete..checking for high standard of food etc.
Pros
No paid breaks
Cons
The manager doesn’t care about you. They have some favourites people and just care what they do. I worked in a racist place where also the assistant manager was racist. The company’s policies are good but the people who work there are very bad people.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad environmental at work
The hardest part of the job its the time shif, If you have a family it's not for you.. non flexible hours. In other hands you have free meals, free uniform.
My experience with Pret A Manger was a horrible one to say the least, there is no empathy/care for employees. Management is toxic and has favourites, the temporary manager was horrible if you’re a new member they will take advantage of you. They do not give you enough time to complete tasks, too much work is given to only one person; the team leaders were rude and lazy and will not make any effort with you they are there to boss you around and make you do their jobs. I would not recommend anyone to work here unless you would like to be treated like a slave, and work with immature/unprofessional people it’s not worth the free food as that’s all they have to offer.
With previous barista/ management experience I was excited to start work at Pret. I had interview and trial shift and then was offered barista job. While on the job I understood that certain management have their favourites giving them favours and allowing them to work less then others.
If you had any problem with work or coworker, managers encouraged you not to speak out, but if you complained they do nothing. They like to sweep thing under the carpet. If you complain to head office, they will promise you support, but really do nothing about it.

Pay, they pay above minimum wage but not allowing you to accept tips. They promise you bonus which is good in quieter shops, but If you work in busy place like station, you always loose the bonus as it’s too busy to keep shop clean and immaculate at all times. So you better of working In quieter Pret, because you work less and get paid more.

The job itself very busy and energy consuming. You make coffee non stop, and their coffee calling system is more stressful than effective. They ask you to remember 10 drinks at the time. After few months of bashing out the drinks non stop I have developed triggered finger. It took five months for my finger to heal after leaving this job, but in some cases it requires a surgery to get triggered finger back to normal according to NHS. They ask baristas to be very outgoing and entertaining, to create the buzz. So if you have a quieter more introverted personality you might struggle, as you are required to put on a show all day every day, they call it Pret behaviour.

Strange thing was that Pret
 - more...
Although the job pays well for a customer service role, I found that my time here was heavily mismanaged, and that it was expected of me to frequently exceed my weekly hours.

Although some staff were very friendly and a pleasure to work with, others seemed to get a thrill from unnecessarily bossing team members around, and were generally pretty lazy.
I learnt a lot. I had opportunity to develop myself , to step up as a Barista later as a Team Leader. I gotiCQ level 3 thanks Pret. Pret a Manger really cares about his employers
Pros
Payed break time, free lunch
I enjoyed working there. Preferred working at the Pret in New Street station than solihull as it had of a more relaxed feel. Also there was a particularly vile member of staff at solihull who treated all new members of staff as slaves.
However, the rest of the staff were lovely and helpful. The pret at new street station felt almost like a family and we stuck together. Unfortunately, the manager had recently had a child so was very distracted and often didn't put us first.
Pros
free food and drink
Cons
very early starts and very late finishes
my typical day consists of many tasks from banking to administration to be honest there are never enough hours in the day to get through all the checks, monitoring the day to day running of the store over seeing staff tasks and duties by complying daily shift plans these show where staff should be and there duties for the day my own tasks are separate from invoice checks, credits grievances, ordering all stock staff rotas, safety checks there are more but I wish not to bore you I have learnt a lot at pret how to provide amazing service how to maintain sales figures how to forecast and analyse sales reports to our advantage. my staff are great but unfortunate for me prets mantra towards labour has changed at the moment there is not enough labour being used therefore putting pressure on staff members to work more than there contracts state causing morale to drop in all areas of the shop, the hardest part is forecasting weekly sales even after factoring in year on year sales trends, events and staff intuition is still your greatest attribute if you possess luck , most enjoyable part of my job are the customers and the rewards you can get through customer service its not a bad place to work but I'm 31 now and I really don't want to get stuck here you see in Birmingham there's only 4 shops chances to enhance your career are few and far between, pret pay staff very well therefore once in a position people will not leave my only options are going to move to another city my family are all in Birmingham and I wish to stay here
Pros
free lunches, customer service rewards
Cons
unsociable hours constant over use of satff causing burnout and everyday sicknesses