Pret A Manger Employee Reviews

its ok
Team Member (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 October 2018
it is an ok job to start with, i believe the best of the same kind you can see around, the best part is the free food, sometimes is a lot of work but bearable
Modern day slavery
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Orpington2 October 2018
They expect you to follow six key points of production and have passion in making items. When you follow this they then moan that you are to slow and need to hurry up as everyone in a Pret kitchen says choppy choppy which is the worst thing beause it only makes you less motivated.
Pros
Met some great friends
Cons
Depression. Anxiety. Dread to go to work
Fun wokrplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 September 2018
Good for a first job, full training provided. Fresh products, people from all over the world, many opportunities for development. Everything depends from general manager if shop is nice to work in.
Pros
free lunches
lo que más me gusto
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Londres ( Reino Unido)25 September 2018
trabajar en esta empresa a sido gratificante, he aprendido muchas cosas, como trabajo en equipo, dotes de liderazgo, valores personales, un idioma... y sobre todo que con esfuerzo se consiguen resultados.
ambiente lavorativo flessibile
Barista/Team member star (Former Employee) –  londra17 September 2018
grazie a questo lavoro ho potuto approfondire la mia esperienza nel campo del costumer service, stando a stretto contatto con tantissime persone provenienti da paesi diversi.
Pros
cibo e bevande gratis
Cons
30 min di pausa per 8 ore lavorative
ambiente di lavoro armonioso e sereno
manager della cucina (Former Employee) –  Londra15 September 2018
Ho lavorato in questa catena per poco più di 6 mesi, mi sono trovata benissimo, cordialità e armonia nel lavoro !
Ci tornerei senza pensarci!!
Pros
pasto sul posto di lavoro, giorno libero settimanale a volte anche due
Cons
nessuno
Amazing
Team Member Star (Former Employee) –  St. Andrews, Fife12 September 2018
I learned how to deal with customers compassionately and patiently, while also being efficient. My manager was kind and understanding which made working here pleasurable.
Pros
always extra shifts
Cons
sometimes would be expected to close then open the next day
Great work experience
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 August 2018
I worked here for big experience week in July 18.

I found it very useful, I learnt how to operate the till and served customers. This was really good and enjoyable
Sometimes great, sometimes awful
Team member; barista; hot chef (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 August 2018
I've worked with Pret on and off for about a year, in 4 different stores all in different environments. I enjoyed the buzz within stores, the sounds, smells and great atmosphere for customers. I liked the fact that Pret take so much pride in the quality of their products, it's how they achieve this that I disagree with.

I found that the management, especially team leaders, were highly critical and didn't understand the concept of re-training if you made a mistake; instead of explaining what went wrong and how to do something a different/better way, they would stop you and completely go over everything, but would be so condescending doing it that you wouldn't take on board what they had said, and would often punish you, whether it was to take away your bonus or make you spend more time doing mediocre "training" on an iPad.

The culture within the company speaks of growth and personal development, but all they seem to do is try to create robots that operate at 100mph and have no personality.

I've seen a TMT (trainer) shouted at because he hadn't turned the kitchen radio on (it was broken), I've been shouted at because I wasn't fast enough on coffee, all because after 5 years of being a barista in other chains, and independents, I refuse to re heat milk as it is disgusting and burns it. Apparently a few seconds to empty a jug or periodically rinse it is illegal and I deserve to be shouted at. The team leader that time then threw a tantrum and started cleaning every jug saying that if i was that bothered I shouldn't be a barista, I should work as a potwash.

The amount
  more... of times I was expected to stay on after my Rota'd hours UNPAID mounts up to almost a full week of work. If you refused to they would take your bonus and sometimes issue disciplinaries. Yet, if the shift is delayed because someone had a late break or we are short staffed or something didnt get done at the right time, it's the team leaders fault! They often spend hours doing the banking, I've worked as a team leader at other companies and banking 6 tills takes 45 mins to an hour, not 3 hours!

One of the only saving graces to working here is the above average salary, the bonus (if you get it that week) and the free food and paid break.

I'd sacrifice a paid break and a free lunch for a decent environment to work in where I'm not shouted at daily, and made to feel sub human.
Pros
Free food, staff benefits, parties, potential for a bonus
Cons
Everything else as mentioned in the review.
Fast Paced / Busy Workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London10 August 2018
Working at Pret A Manger was fun but at the same time very busy. I enjoyed my time there, but I was also very tired. The management was good, the environment was good as well. I was only working part time. Pay is good.
Fun place to work
Barista/kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne8 August 2018
although this was an experience week, i learned alot from talking to the staff and management. I worked closely with the onsite manager, barista's, and kitchen staff. The all made me feel very welcome they were all friendly and were patient with teaching me the running of the shop.
Pros
free lunch, friendly staff
Cons
only here a week
hard but enjoyable placement
Pret a manger (Current Employee) –  Week, UK26 July 2018
working at pret was a Challenge because i had never work at full time job before but i pick up things really quickly and i got on with the team. it was something different to what i would have normally done for work.
Challenging, but rewarding experience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London17 July 2018
A Pret A Manger shop is very fast-paced. This was a good challenge as individuals learn to multi-task and think decisively. The shop environment is welcoming which helps to maintain the 'buzz' that the company values. The hardest part was serving on the tills with the system that the company used, especially during lunch hours. However, with practice and patience, it became a task that you can ease into.
Friendly Colleagues, Atmosphere, Opportunities
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Gateshead14 July 2018
My time working there was very motivational for me as I was always encouraged to try something that I've never done before such as making certain types of coffees, learning different methods of doing things etc. A typical day would include changing out bins, clearing tables of rubbish and dishes/trays, cleaning the food prep areas like the kitchen and coffee making areas. General cleaning as well was a big part especially during the lunch rush and before closing. The hardest part of the job for me was maintaining a fast pace especially during peak times as customers, tables and orders needed to be tended to very frequently. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was meeting the customers that come through every day, they would get to know me and have a chat during calmer times, it was also a personal achievement of mine to work at a coffee shop.
Pros
Free Lunch, Close to frequent public transport
Cons
Located in a shopping center
Team member
member of staff (Former Employee) –  Shordich27 June 2018
I have worked there just 2 weeks and left .Horrible place they shout at you all the time for any little mistake.Also the working time is crazy from 5 am which mean you have to wake up 3am ,all the time push you to be more and more quickly treat you like a robot not a human being ,the kitchens are very small also ,everybody grab ingredients and nobody answer if you ask so when you open new box again you are in mistake.Dumb and bossy staff members.If you are not in surviving situation as I was when worked there better don't start ,only if you have to survive and this is the only one option for week or two .
Excellent
Team Member Star (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 June 2018
Good work/life balance. Good benefits. Good pay. Overall very good. I specifically enjoy the affective labour that Pret draws out from all staff. Initially it was burdensome, but then the enjoyment of working there became real.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Sometimes tedious
Terrible
Kitchen Team Member (Former Employee) –  Luton Airport13 June 2018
Worked in the kitchen for 2 weeks then walked.

Reasons for this:
- Start time is 4 am, which meant getting up at 2:30 am due to transportation.

- Overbearing management which constantly harases you over their 6 key points of production, duties that could wait until your finished preparing food, your speed needing to be better.( Hint speed comes with practice not right away)

- Kitchen is way too small for the amount of workers and everyone is always running around looking for ingredients that someone else has, if call out for it no one answers and after you open a new container you will be in for it with a team leader.

- Vast majority of co-workers are not English and always talk around you in their own language ( the idiots don't realize that you can read their body language and so can tell when their talking about you)

- If you leave a knife (serrated with no pointed tip so no risk of impalement) on your work bench to do anything such, pick something you dropped, move something on your bench or hand something to someone and team leader see's then your in trouble.

- Being lectured on how the label is a clock and so needs to be straight every time it's even slightly crooked. No you morons the label is colour coded for the time of day it was used at, the label is in fact just a static image that never changes.

- I felt like I was treated like I am an idiot by the team leaders. If I made a mistake when making a sandwich I would have to be retaught everything about it even though everything else I had done up to that point was correct.

Don't work here if
  more... you value your sanity.  less
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Pretty much everything
productive and fan place to work
Team Member star (Former Employee) –  London4 June 2018
I was lucky to find very good people there, it's a very good place to learn, in general it was a good place to work, and I think you can have a good balance of life and work there
Unorganized management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Marylebone, Greater London23 May 2018
If you don't want a lot of stress in your life, avoid this place. Unorganized management always pushes you to finish in time and a lot of time they forget to pay you out. I had to stay plus 30 minutes a plenty of times after my shift ended. Also they don't pay well the holiday hours! A lot of dumb and disrespectful employees. Very unfair company
Pros
Unorganized
Cons
Free meal
Productive and fun work place
Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  London21 May 2018
High productivity in high pressure and good incentives for the team members. Many nice night out, sense of belonging, amazing fresh food. Clear objectives, great initiatives
Pros
Fresh food
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.