Pret A Manger Employee Reviews

its crushing your soul
Team Member - Full Time (Current Employee) –  London13 November 2018
Basically it's a nice place where to work but since management in this branch wasn't very professional the work life was a bit chaotic. CEO is great! Most of my colleagues attitude made me start thinking that they are actually there for money, lazy and no passion at all. I enjoyed my job but not my colleagues.
Pros
Free meals, coffee
Fast and Fun workplace
Team Member, Barista (Former Employee) –  London23 November 2018
Great organizational culture, awesome training system. Everything is so standardized, structured and convenient. Great salary. Everyone is respectful and friendly. I loved working at Pret!
So so
Team Member Star (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire3 December 2018
Worked at Pret in the midlands for a year before relocating for a few months in London. Started as a team member before becoming Team Member star, working there can be hard at times especially during summer as you would have to wear a uniform, with the shirt tucked into your jeans at all times even in really warm weather. It was enjoyable for the most part, and you got free food and hot drinks on your shift which was nice. The best part of working there is the weekly bonus, if you succeed the mystery shopper then you get £1 for every hour you worked that week which was quite a lot if you did a lot of shifts! Speaking about shifts it varied for me, at times I wasn't given enough shifts with only around 25 hours, and then at other times I'd have to work 50 hours so not really consistent.

The worse thing about working in the midlands pret wa I was promised the role as a barista for a long time (6 months) and even though was only a team member star, for most of my shifts I was in charge of the coffee and making all the coffees even though I wasn't being paid or trained as a barista or even coffee specialist!
Pros
Free lunches, weekly bonus
Cons
uniforms, progress or advancement takes a long time
Sometimes great, sometimes awful
Team member; barista; hot chef (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 August 2018
I've worked with Pret on and off for about a year, in 4 different stores all in different environments. I enjoyed the buzz within stores, the sounds, smells and great atmosphere for customers. I liked the fact that Pret take so much pride in the quality of their products, it's how they achieve this that I disagree with.

I found that the management, especially team leaders, were highly critical and didn't understand the concept of re-training if you made a mistake; instead of explaining what went wrong and how to do something a different/better way, they would stop you and completely go over everything, but would be so condescending doing it that you wouldn't take on board what they had said, and would often punish you, whether it was to take away your bonus or make you spend more time doing mediocre "training" on an iPad.

The culture within the company speaks of growth and personal development, but all they seem to do is try to create robots that operate at 100mph and have no personality.

I've seen a TMT (trainer) shouted at because he hadn't turned the kitchen radio on (it was broken), I've been shouted at because I wasn't fast enough on coffee, all because after 5 years of being a barista in other chains, and independents, I refuse to re heat milk as it is disgusting and burns it. Apparently a few seconds to empty a jug or periodically rinse it is illegal and I deserve to be shouted at. The team leader that time then threw a tantrum and started cleaning every jug saying that if i was that bothered I shouldn't be a barista, I should work as a potwash.

The amount
  more... of times I was expected to stay on after my Rota'd hours UNPAID mounts up to almost a full week of work. If you refused to they would take your bonus and sometimes issue disciplinaries. Yet, if the shift is delayed because someone had a late break or we are short staffed or something didnt get done at the right time, it's the team leaders fault! They often spend hours doing the banking, I've worked as a team leader at other companies and banking 6 tills takes 45 mins to an hour, not 3 hours!

One of the only saving graces to working here is the above average salary, the bonus (if you get it that week) and the free food and paid break.

I'd sacrifice a paid break and a free lunch for a decent environment to work in where I'm not shouted at daily, and made to feel sub human.
Pros
Free food, staff benefits, parties, potential for a bonus
Cons
Everything else as mentioned in the review.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Eldon street13 November 2018
Pret is one of the most organized world companies I have ever worked for. I have never had any issues regarding job time shifts, holidays time, absence day requested. I can not assure you carrer advancement in a short time ( I am working in this company since 1 year and I am still in the same position as in my beginning)
Excellent
Team Member Star (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 June 2018
Good work/life balance. Good benefits. Good pay. Overall very good. I specifically enjoy the affective labour that Pret draws out from all staff. Initially it was burdensome, but then the enjoyment of working there became real.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Sometimes tedious
great people, great customer hard work ethic
General Manager/People champion (Current Employee) –  Peterborough17 October 2018
amazing company, great people. loved every minute with Pret. made amazing friends and had great training and support, i have learnt alot from this company,a dn am sad to be wanting to leave.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
its addictive
Costumers come first
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  London11 October 2018
Pret as a company loves its costumers
Costumers come first.
If you want to work in Pret you have to be quick and openminded
Benefits are good; free lunches, 50% discount if you buy food from another Pret
You get paid weakly which is good
You also will get paid with a bonus if your shop will pass the mystery shopper visit
Sumary
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 November 2017
Days at work are fun but can become very stressful caused by unexpected events. I have grown as a person massively and have built my career from strength to strength. Pret's culture is all about passion and innovation, to be proud of.
The biggest challenges are the day buy day un expected events an the hight staff turn over.
THE most enjoyable are definitely the people who day by day make Pret to be what it is now, one of the biggest and most successful business model in the restaurants industry.
benefits
Cons
work life balance
crazy about standards
barista/hot chef (Current Employee) –  Angel Station24 April 2018
One of the best places to work in hospitality. The number of benefits you will get from this company are numerous: from a paid break to free food. Also parties, pension plans, great opportunities to relocate...It is also a place about standards and high productivity, so do not expect a quiet environment. Be ready to work hard and have fun.
Fun wokrplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 September 2018
Good for a first job, full training provided. Fresh products, people from all over the world, many opportunities for development. Everything depends from general manager if shop is nice to work in.
Pros
free lunches
Fun place to work
Barista/kitchen assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne8 August 2018
although this was an experience week, i learned alot from talking to the staff and management. I worked closely with the onsite manager, barista's, and kitchen staff. The all made me feel very welcome they were all friendly and were patient with teaching me the running of the shop.
Pros
free lunch, friendly staff
Cons
only here a week
Slave's company
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 October 2018
Company, where you are working as a slave. They pay more than other, similar companies, but expect that people wil be doing double job, always under preasure and humiliation. If someone can't finish job on time has to stay longer, for free. Common practise is to give someone job to do, just a couple of minutes before end of shift and after telling that "you couldn't finish on time, because you are to slow" As well, telling new pople that they are stupid because don't work enough fast or don't know something.
Pros
Free food.
Cons
Preasure, humiliation, unpaid work.
Fast Paced / Busy Workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London10 August 2018
Working at Pret A Manger was fun but at the same time very busy. I enjoyed my time there, but I was also very tired. The management was good, the environment was good as well. I was only working part time. Pay is good.
Friendly Colleagues, Atmosphere, Opportunities
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Gateshead14 July 2018
My time working there was very motivational for me as I was always encouraged to try something that I've never done before such as making certain types of coffees, learning different methods of doing things etc. A typical day would include changing out bins, clearing tables of rubbish and dishes/trays, cleaning the food prep areas like the kitchen and coffee making areas. General cleaning as well was a big part especially during the lunch rush and before closing. The hardest part of the job for me was maintaining a fast pace especially during peak times as customers, tables and orders needed to be tended to very frequently. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was meeting the customers that come through every day, they would get to know me and have a chat during calmer times, it was also a personal achievement of mine to work at a coffee shop.
Pros
Free Lunch, Close to frequent public transport
Cons
Located in a shopping center
Best between food shop chains
Barista (Former Employee) –  London22 February 2018
Free clean and neat uniforms, food and drinks, for you everyday.
Flexibility to settle down your time, shift and location at the interview.
Payrate is better than any other food/coffee shop chain, possibility to get promotions quickly if you work hard, also the pay is weekly, which is good if you need to catch up with your expenses.
The job can be in some shops busy over any expectations, so be ready to roll up your sleeves and work really hard in some times of the day.

Most of the staff is just arrived to London, so be ready to share their emotions and find a lot of interesting people.
They try for good means to keep all together happy, so you got parties, team drinks and stuff.
It is a customer service with a fun-based culture, so whichever is your mental state, you have to be happy and smile.
Quite unhappy about the mystery shopper whole thing, you lose your bonus most of the time and it's not your fault, even if you did a perfect service and that is not encouraging you to do better.

You can find the good manager that is adult, understanding and conscious to have a nice time through your shifts and duties, but you can also suddendly be under the powerkid that is mainly rude, ignorant and frustrated, unable to control the situation, setting up your rota to damage your personal life just for fun, or shouting at you in front of the others, bringing you quickly at the point that you're forced to leave the company or ask a transfer to another shop.

I really like the idea of Pret, but there are still some problems that can ruin entirely your experience.
Pros
Free lunches, uniform, very good HR management, weekly payments
Cons
Powerkid rude lower management, overpressure on work, mystery shopper random
great team
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Tottenham Court Road9 April 2018
They pay the holyday, nice manager, great people in the team , posibility to share break, good benefits, nice environment, I didn't like because was to far of my home
Pros
free lunches
Fun and easy
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3 Station11 November 2018
Pret a manger is a good company to work for but if you want improve your skills in other areas than retail you might have some problems with it.
Overall in my opinion it's a great company for a first job
It teach you good customer service and organisation skills.
Pros
Bonus free food
Cons
Small area to improve
Team member
member of staff (Former Employee) –  Shordich27 June 2018
I have worked there just 2 weeks and left .Horrible place they shout at you all the time for any little mistake.Also the working time is crazy from 5 am which mean you have to wake up 3am ,all the time push you to be more and more quickly treat you like a robot not a human being ,the kitchens are very small also ,everybody grab ingredients and nobody answer if you ask so when you open new box again you are in mistake.Dumb and bossy staff members.If you are not in surviving situation as I was when worked there better don't start ,only if you have to survive and this is the only one option for week or two .
Modern day slavery
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Orpington2 October 2018
They expect you to follow six key points of production and have passion in making items. When you follow this they then moan that you are to slow and need to hurry up as everyone in a Pret kitchen says choppy choppy which is the worst thing beause it only makes you less motivated.
Pros
Met some great friends
Cons
Depression. Anxiety. Dread to go to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pret A Manger. Our community is ready to answer.