Poundstretcher Employee Reviews

It is ok
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clydebank17 October 2018
The good thing about working in there is having a laugh with it friends and helping the customers when they need it. The good thing about it is when u get to go home
Pros
Hafe anower
Cons
12.30 till 8.30
Was a change a good one
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington17 October 2018
I got a chance to work in a different industry I blossom with in my job role and develop my skills and experience in the sales industry and shown am good in not just my career but other job roles as well
Avoid! Underpaid, over worked. Awful company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Uk10 October 2018
The worse company I have ever worked for, avoid at all costs.
Area management last about two weeks before being replaced. Store management lasts 6 weeks before the axe is brought down on them, across all areas.
No training given at all.
Staff paid for 4 hours a week, when they work 60. Company refuses to pay the staff what they are owed.
Rat infested warehouses and expected to sell out of date stock.
Management salaried, so you work for below the minimum wage due to this.
Company will go bust soon so avoid.
Colleagues had to go to the foodbank due to only being paid contracted 4hours, when worked 60hours
Pros
The colleagues
Cons
Management, pay, training, everything
an ok place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester8 October 2018
its a good place to work for retail experience but the shop will never reach its full potential because of budget restrictions stopping managers from putting in the needed amount of staff
Fun place to work in.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire7 October 2018
Very friendly co-workers and management, it is kept very clean and the company help you to progress.

Come in and scan your fingerprint to log in, you then go to the staffroom to prepare for the day and see if any important notices. Go to store manager or assistant deputy to see what they require of you, on the first week you get shown how to operate the tills and how to scan products on the shelves. The workplace was a very kind atmosphere, if you need help other co-workers are willing to support.
The hardest part of the job is not being faced with new challenges and the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you are working for a good company and know that if I ever need support it is always there when needed.
Pros
New store to work in and very friendly staff that are willing to lend a hand.
Cons
Will not advertise, despite not doing as well as hoped, and waited for store to open before looking for a store mamager.
It's pretty good.
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe5 October 2018
I enjoy working there, would only leave for a full time job.
Customers are usually regular and fun to talk to, co workers are interesting and its like a little family.
Slave Labour
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee30 September 2018
The company hires job-seekers and doesn't pay them as the government does, and expects you to carry out 12 hours worth of work in 4.
Management doesn't care and the HR department is useless.
Pros
Cons
Poor contracts, Poor pay, Total disregard for health and safety.
Disorganised
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, Norfolk22 September 2018
Hours were dropped weekly, until 0, there was a very high change in management, lack of manners towards customers and staff from management. Very disorganised ware house.
Pros
Enjoyed my job
Cons
No hours
It is ok
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Glenrothes, Fife21 September 2018
Most hours are 4 hours a day and you work 5 days a week, I learned how to stack shelves, work tills and work as part of a team. The management is not the best but they are ok
Happy fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian19 September 2018
Poundstretcher was a great place to work as I got to learn to things as it was my first ever job, i made new friends at this work place and could also talk to my boss if something was bothering me.
Pros
Lived close to shop
Difficult
Voluntary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire18 September 2018
The boss wasn't very understanding of mental illness and even though I tried my hardest nothing was ever good enough. She always spoke down to me and it was a very harrowing experience.
challening to place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London14 September 2018
the working environment is very busy, especially on the weekend. it was quite challenging to work at Poundstretcher as we had short of staffs, therefore, there was a need to adapt to fact phased work.
Worst company to work for. Ever
Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire13 September 2018
Absolutely shocking place to work. Expected to work at least 11 hour days. Hardly any time off. Area Managers are a joke and that just stems back from head office. All idiots wirh no clue how to run a business. Not enough space to tell you how bad they really are. All backstabbing idiots who will sooner get rid of you than back you. Warehouse is a joke. They send in whatever they want and expect you to deal with it. No support whatsoever.
Cons
Terrible company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 September 2018
terrible company to work for so unorganised management was too soft on colluges, they’d play football out in the warehouse or joke around while your out on shop floor serving customer while you can hear them acting like clowns out the back. rota was always changed and never done right.was never intiled to a 15 minute break Evan though you done a 6 hour shift and are entitled to one and when you’d ask it would be a no. Management was rude and unprofessional and the store was always dirty they’d make you get down on your hands and knees and clean under all the shelving only when we had a store visit , contact was 4 hours and never any over time not worth the money
Pros
Leaving there
Cons
Not worth it
Fun Workplace
Areas of Work - Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire6 September 2018
It very Lovely place to work
Very Clean place
All Staff are nice
enjoyable part of the job we all get on very well and we give our best customer service
okay as a inbetween job
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  warwickshire3 September 2018
not the best place to work
would not go back
they need to improve there management
I didn't enjoy working there
it was an inbetween job whilst I continued to look for other placements
Run far, run fast.
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Austell, Cornwall22 August 2018
Worst company you could possibly work for. As a member of management, with four stores in a county and three members of management between them it was the worst experience I could have had. But if you love 80 hour weeks, being ran into the ground and not appriciated then this is the job for you.
Pay is hidious. Despite being a manager and salaried, they would often have to bump up my wage because I would go bellow minimum wage. Being paid at least 10k less than other stores would pay for this job.
No communication from managers above you. Expected to run and help other area's around the country and barely get expenses back.
No trust or faith in the management running stores; pictures of all work done must be sent via WhatsApp to area managers, then to regional.
Half the stuff they send in is out of date or close to. Check dates.
General staff are only given 4 hour contracts.
Expected to work your self to the bone with no motivation or budget - you have to work loads because they don't give you enough money for staff.
If you enjoy being happy and not having your soul plucked from you slowly buy the blunt tweezer of misery, then I'd do anything but this. It's not worth the money.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Not a nice shop to work at
Part time key holder (Current Employee) –  Bletchley14 August 2018
Have enjoyed working at pound stretcher until the last two months I have worked at westcroft branch and towcester but towcester closed so we were moved to bletchley I open the store in morning had to learn all management role no extra pay temp manager came in treated me like I was dirt on his shoe not a good word for all I have done off with stress at moment do not want to return.think store will close down
Cons
No lunch break only two on each day
productive and energetic
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheerness14 August 2018
Poundstretcher opened in our town in November 2017. The high street in sheerness doesn't have a lot to offer. So this was a excellent opportunity for public and myself. Poundstretcher delivers all different kinds of products, so the shop was always busy!
Fun
Till Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton17 July 2018
The workplace wasn’t well managed in my opinion, and was very long hours. I moved because I didn’t enjoy the way I was treated there nor the pay as was only £5.30
Pros
Free lunch
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Poundstretcher. Our community is ready to answer.