Poundstretcher Employee Reviews

Poorly managed, unfairly treated
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Brislington8 May 2018
My experience in this working environment was that it was very poorly managed and I had a very bad, soul degrading experience. The staff were treated like dogs and the manager didn’t know how to run a business properly. During my time here the company had lost 5 employees due to them quoting after having enough of being treated unfairly by the manager.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Short breaks, very long shifts, poorly managed, unfairly treated
Wouldn't recommend to anyone
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands1 May 2018
This has to be the worst company I have ever worked for. There is no communication between members of staff, the job role itself is very stressful due to the amounts of work load they expect you to do. As a former member of management I have seen the under go of this store and the manager is nothing but a bully towards staff members. Forcing them to leave their job due to the way they are treated. Do not work for this company as it will drain you in ways you could never understand
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Long hours, no sense of communication, divided teams, management team is disgusting
Productive, fun workplace and builds confidence.
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 April 2018
Working with poundstretchers was a good experience as i learned alot of new things not only just about the company but also how to work with new people and build my confidence. Even on the quiet, boring days the staff always made the day fun.
Pros
Very understanding staff and managers.
Cons
Quite a quiet shop and alot of tidying to do.
Active company with little or no sense of direction
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mansfield22 April 2018
Information given in interview stages.any and all questions regarding the Poundstretcher company and/or The information wanted can be discussed further in the interview stages.
Pros
Good experience in a hands on environment
Cons
Working hours/personal life ratio is very poor
boring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester17 April 2018
when I worked at poundstrecher I was doing the same thing each putting stock out and helping customers which was ok but boring and I never got a chance to go on tills as the manger was always to busy doing other things and apparently couldn't find the time to train me on the tills when really had bags of time he just couldn't be bothered.
Pros
good hours
Cons
boring, the same each shift
Awful place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Ravensthorpe15 April 2018
I started working here in February of 2017 and enjoyed it at first, but then started to get tired of the long 12 hour shifts that were forced upon me without asking. Didn't agree and like the Boss at all.
Cons
Long hours, Forced to stay over-time
Management Area 8 - Swear and disrespectful.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North West14 April 2018
Management so poor that staff get away with theft and time wasting and nobody notices.
Little rewards. Hard work & minimum pay. Managers swear at you.
Pros
Four hours pay a week?
Cons
No sick pay. 4 hour holiday pay. No respect.
Not great
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire11 April 2018
You are nothing more than a person, they appear to work on the bases that idle threats, intimidation some could say bullying, to try and get what they want. In reality it’s sad. If they devoted half that effort into developing and coaching there people it would be a whole different company to work for.
Pros
Not a lot.
Cons
A lot.
poundstretcher
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester26 March 2018
the staff were very nice and you felt really welcome you could have a laugh when you're doing your work. When you was in that job at the end of your shift day you have to clean the store
miserable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth21 March 2018
Was forced to work at Poundstretcher by the job centre. It did benefit my people skills in Customer Service but the hours I worked interfered with my efforts to find a suitable permanent job.
Cons
minimum wage, part time
Poundstretcher
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rhyl20 March 2018
Decent job and the money was not okay. I enjoyed my time at here and learnt a lot about customer service and learnt the value of teamwork. There was always an oppotunity for overtime.
Never work here
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Austell, Cornwall20 March 2018
This is an appalling place to work the managment treat you terribly and as for the contract was promised 16 got 4 a complete waste of time avoid this place at all costs especially to work for Was a Very big mistake and the management have no clue as to what they are doing no have no manners just 100% rude would never work for the company again the managers stand around and do nothing to help they are lazy , the tills freeze constantly and is never fixed properly ... as for the shifts they change the rota without telling you and have a go when you don’t realise it and if you can’t make a shift they force you to work they also made me wait a month just for uniform and when I had holiday booked they refused to let me have it 😡 there is never a smile on the mangers face and they always pick fault in whatever we did they were never happy .... I was ashamed to work there due to the fact that 90% of the food and drink in there is OUT OF DATE so check everything in future...... to summarise this never work for them they don’t care do NOT waste your time!!!!
Boring working place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands15 March 2018
There was no team work involved very boring and hardly and work to do. The manger was very impolite and didn’t use any manners at all it was very dirty
n/a
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hulme, Greater Manchester15 March 2018
this company was a very good company to work for and i enjoyed every single shift i did as there where different opportunities like going to other stores to help them
Unenjoybale
Shelf Filler (Former Employee) –  North East Lincolnshire15 March 2018
During my time, despite only being there for eight days, I found it boring and the manager had a sarcastic tone to their voice.

Overall, I didn't enjoy the staff or the work so I haven't been back since and wouldn't go back.
Pros
Got me out of the house
Cons
I felt under pressure to perform
Not a family business just a greedy one
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewisham11 March 2018
My treatment working for this company poundstretcher was attrocious, the more you do your never rewarded for anything you do from the kindness of your own heart and management looks down on employees taking all the credit regardless of the extra effort you make, its not a friendly place like they avdertise new low rank managers are replaced daily i saw 4 hired and sacked in just over a year, unless your walking into that place a senior high manager don't waste your life trying to get somewhere as they won't even glance at your effort avoid this company like the plague
Pros
Kind bottom level staff
Cons
Ignorant top end managers, seniors directors
Just a place of work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Milford Haven10 March 2018
Got paid the bare minimum wage and was expected to do so much more than what I was getting paid to do. The manager was completely unprofessional and used to swear at me every single shift, left there after 9 months.
Ok
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Telford6 March 2018
Only get four hours a week yet I was promised 20hours. So it put me in a predicament and makes me struggle financially. The store it’s self is ok and the staff
Productive good exercise
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fallowfield, Greater Manchester4 March 2018
It’s a job. I want to work where it doesn’t feel like a job. I want to enjoy it. I like the people I work with just not the company and what they asking for.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Worth ethic
Nice workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff3 March 2018
Pleasant workplace with nice colleagues, decent working hours, close to home, quite a relaxed atmosphere. Management was pleasant, straightforward work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Poundstretcher. Our community is ready to answer.