Poundstretcher
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Poundstretcher Employee Reviews

United Kingdom583 reviews
Management decided that their rules for breaks are above the law, when you are on tills you are there all day and are asked to put out stock at the same time, as you then cannot see the till when a customer comes to the till co-workers call you from the other side of the store rather than attend to the customer themselves.
Pros
Easy to get the job
Cons
Neglectful management, abysmal pay, clear incorrect pay not corrected, Boring when on tills due to little customers
Worst company I have ever worked for . Stay clear of this company. If you can make a good choice I would suggest never working for them ever . Decline holiday and expects to much. Pay always wrong
This company is a joke no hours management don't have a clue what there doing avoid at all costs run by kids. Only work 4 hours a week which they don't tell you very clickly if you don't fit in you won't get on with anyone. Key holders think they run the place get talked down to and made to feel like your not good enough to work in a rubbish discount store.
Cons
The higher up managers make life really hard for the regular staff, massive miscommunication, deliveries were always late and the warehouses were full of useless stock
My area manager was very rude all the time and always put all my staff down when he visited his name was bemi ever get him walk away cause you will end up depressed nothing is ever good enough for the company and they make u use and abuse staff I had a very bad experience with this area manager
Pros
Cons
Depression Work all the hours only get paid 40
Met some lovely people and I enjoyed the work but the manager was a b***h she was calling staff behind there backs, she never took responsibility for her own actions always blamed others poor poor management skills do not work with this company!
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Management is awful
I am working in Poundstretcher nearly 5 years.I do enjoy my work there. I always had flexible hours and that helps me a lot because I am mum of 3 young kids. Environment is friendly.
Worked as deputy manager, staff are fantastic we were like a family, AM was great but RM and the company was a nightmare nothing ever good enough, then ghad 2 days notice of closure and 4 days notice to pack up the entire shop, got tupeed to another company and yeah bullying was rife, career change needed.
Pros
My staff
Cons
Everything and pay is disgusting for what you have to do
It’s an okay place to work to gain experience, not really a place you can advance in. Workers are on just above minimum wage, under 18s get paid less than over 18s and they do the same jobs. Keyholders do the same as managers and get less pay. Lots of talking behind other staff members backs.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Most things
It’s not a good place to work. 4 hr contract for staff makes for little motivation to come to work. Minimum wage for everyone in the store. Avoid company.
Pros
Little
Cons
Lots
Not a good environment to work in and the staff are horrible to new workers. The workplace cooperation with staff members on the till is horrendous and most of the time there would be one staff member on a till out of 4 tills. Would not recommend working for the company.
Awful company with no ethics for employees whatsoever
As a manager I was tasked to keep all employees on a 4 hour contract and if they were not flexible to make their hours impossible ie a young mother to work early mornings so they couldn’t work and would have to leave

The worst company I have ever worked for as a manager in 25 years of retail management
Pros
Cons
Stay safe stay away
if you're young dumb and free and don't know what's next for your future or old and need extra cash then this is the job for you. Been working here for 3 months and I am already fed up with the place.

Leaving due to poor management and also was management misconduct at the interview stage. Applied for the trainee manager role but the put me down as a sales assistant. Literally you get stuck on tills. If you want to work on stock replen you get listed to doing it. No one ever once to go on tills. You have to ask for support and training. Can't even access your payslip. And they pay you less in your first month.

New store manager is a bit loud. Department manager is the only person I felt like he wants to know me as a person. Only get half hour break which goes so fast.

You get moaned at even if you're 10 seconds late.

General manger needs to sort himself out .
Pros
Easy money, flexibility with hours.
Cons
poor management, poor training, misleading job roles. No social life
Hard work and no help, get moaned at constantly, management expect you to do the work whilst they drink coffee and talk to people on the phone all day
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Everything else
I joined Poundstretcher with high hopes of progressing my retail career. You will constantly be told that this great promotion is going to be available and one of you WILL get the job, only for them to have you work at overload capacity speeds, and bring someone completely unsuitable in as your superior. Managers are brought in with as little as two weeks training, retail and store knowledge well below the average employee already in store. Management is a total disaster, wages are poor, your extra efforts won't be appreciated. One of the worst places I've ever worked!
Pros
None!
Cons
I enjoyed my time there,some long hour and nites out,but didn’t mind them,would work there again.simetimes the transport staff hep u out,if u av something to do
Pros
Good wage
Cons
I've worked for Poundstretcher on and off for around 20 years. Whereas I love my job there are often stressful moments about thing that I think could be easily improved.
Pros
Well known shop
Cons
Not enough 'new' stock
Exploit their workers to the maximum. The owners do not care about the staff in any shape or form. Poor wages, poor working conditions, health and safety hazards everywhere. Head-office only care about money and nothing else. The tills were extremely old barely even worked. Every box of stock is CAKED in dust, the toilets were over flowing which they hadn’t fixed in months. I’ve seen managers crying because they’re under sooo much stress. Evil owners

I’ve seen
Pros
Cons
Low pay, extreme stress, no safety, dirty
Poundstretcher is a ok company to work for can be challenging at times,salary isnt amy good for the amount of work you have to do as your teams are small
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Work load an salery
I was assisten manager my role was included serving to customer, dealing with the complain,stock take,stock ordering, payroll,cash ordering, H&S monthly training and cover the store manager duty while is off.
I loved my time with poundstretchers unfortunately the Buissnuss decided to close the shop due to restructure plans I loved this kind of work as the customers were very loyal and I prefer speaking upfront rather than on the Telephone as in previous Jobs
Pros
Lovely customers
Cons
Not enough hours