Poundland Employee Reviews

Found 1,569 reviews matching the search See all 1,594 reviews
Don’t do it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire14 October 2019
Money is rubbish, hours are bare minimum, management are clueless and dont care about the workforce, everyone is out for themselves, unorganised and outdated, feel sorry for anyone who works there.
Pros
No good pros
Cons
Too many
Don't Bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hitchin, Hertfordshire12 October 2019
Management is awful, there's backstabbing between different employees, no one helps each other, not good at organizing, they don't get on with anyone in store.
Co-workers are nice and understanding.
Shift patterns are weird, constantly feel stressed about whether you're doing alright when on your own.
Pros
Staff Shop Benifit
Cons
Managment
completely depends who you work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire12 October 2019
Really does depend who you work for, can be good can be bad work life balance, but all above you will get a balance.
Hard to get progression as its completely who you know not how good you are.
Did not like it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield12 October 2019
Not a great job I’m afraid i was a subject of bullying for ages and management did nothing was blamed for things that was not my fault also being scheduled in on days where I said I couldn’t work then they harass your phone to come in and a possible disciplinary hearing avoid .
So bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire12 October 2019
Worst place I have ever worked. The working culture within this company is utterly poor. Everybody is disposable and you’re told this on day one. Management simply do not care about you and your mental health. You are literally told that you are easily replaceable. Wages are awful, thats even if they remember to pay you correct. Avoid like the Wellingborough store like a plague!
Pros
Cons
Awful job in general, Avoid!
Used for free labour by poundland
Shelf Stacker (Former Employee) –  Kent12 October 2019
Did a work placement for them and sent from the job centre. Was always told I was doing a great job up until when I asked for a contract they wouldn’t give me one so I gave them 2 months free labour for nothing! Disgusting
Don’t be fooled by the pound.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poundland12 October 2019
Such a bad place to work. No support from either management or supervisors. Strict rules and guidelines yet pay minimum wage and expect the world from you. Not even allowed to go to the toilet without being questioned about something. Just avoid this awful employer I’ve moved onto a better company which pays more and I’m treated 10 times better.
Pros
Getting to leave on close shifts
Cons
absolutely everything.
It was different
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Leyton Mills11 October 2019
Interesting job, main focus was always bags for life and the product focus, training was hmm. it just wasn’t for me.

Regardless met some nice people.
Constant threats and bullying
Retail manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom10 October 2019
Always had threats and bullying tactics, couldn't have a personal life as was expected to work over contracted hours on a daily / weekly basis with no thanks at all, very unprofessional as bad language was often used even with telephone conversations
Gold Street Northampton Store, treated so badly
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Gold Street10 October 2019
Management team are all bullies and treat staff like rubbish. They punish the staff for the same things they do and claim that managers are allowed. I left with crippling anxiety and depression because of this company...ran by grown man children who are power mad. They pile too much far and away pressure on staff then humiliate them when it gets too much. Shame on you Poundland
Pros
Good staff, payday
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, no leaving on time, bullies and man children.
fast paced and busy
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  London10 October 2019
my experience at poundland really made me something since it is the busiest i have been and constant dedication to customer service made me really work for customers and i learned so much about it that i am really good at it now.
Believe the reviews
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, Suffolk6 October 2019
The management are absolute rubbish. They dont care about their employees the slightest bit and will only care when they need something e.g overtime shifts covering. The hours are bad, unreliable specially on minimum wage and still get treated like vermin. Wouldn't recommend as a place to work.

The women on the Poundland documentary said “everyday is a different day in Poundland.” No it’s really not ha.
Pros
Good staff, store close to home.
Cons
Management unprofessional, no skills, same thing every day and no thanks for it.
Problematic company that doesn’t know what customers want.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea, Essex6 October 2019
As a worker I won’t say too much but working here is a nightmare. The company doesn’t know what they want to do with themselves. They switch up rules everyday. If you don’t ask every customer to buy unhealthy chocolate at the checkouts or those awful “bag for life” then you will be pulled in for a disciplinary. Regardless of how much work you do on the shopfloor. This behaviour is apparently unacceptable for some bizarre reasonings.

Managers were just as incompetent and ran the place like a training camp. Not allowed to be social and not allowed to be yourself. Don’t bother mentioning you have any mental issues to them as they will not take this into account and proceed with their sergeant major attitudes towards vulnerable staff who carry them through their days.
Cons
Everything, bad company, absolutely no clue!
Awful place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grimsby5 October 2019
Bullying from staff and management and a really unpleasant place to work. All the company was bothered about was targets and not staff well being. Would never recommend anyone to work there and you would never shop there again .
Wouldn’t recommend !!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkshire UK4 October 2019
Worked for this company a few years back now absolutely awful company to work for , terrible managers with no morals!
Your Rota’s are changed weekly or sometimes daily but was told at interview they would be monthly in advance.
So therefore you can’t plan your life at all!! You go home to go sleep and return .
Lots of lifting and deliveries even if you have trouble and no help from managers sitting in back rooms talking about staff behind their backs clear bullying not allowed to talk etc.. basically a prison! low staff morale .
Would never work there again , not even if you paid more and gave me good hours !
Pros
Was local in walking distance ! That’s it.
Cons
All of the above.
Dog workplace
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Blackpool4 October 2019
Worst place I ever worked management are a joke treat you like a dog promises never kept I hated it there and other people treating you like you’re dirt on the end of their shoes.

They make you feel like a criminal for ringing in sick and try manipulate you to coming in to do a shift. Not worth the stress Poundland is the reason I’m grey haired. 3 staff have signed off sick at our store and I wonder why..
Pros
Good staff although most were lazy
Cons
Management.
Morons
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  MK4 October 2019
Run by morons. Good staff get over worked while the lazy ones get away with murder because they have been there a lot longer. Management scared to tell staff off and the male management spend most of the time perving on younger women. Unacceptable and poor workplace !!
Bad bad bad
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire4 October 2019
Poor management. Over worked, no staff on floor and poor pay no benefits! No recognition of good solid work done unless you’re willing to work 200 days straight and you might get a thank you or a well done in the end. AVOID!
Cons
Bad management, no recognition, expect you to work 15 days in a row without day off. No thanks.
bad management, many changes in weekly schedule
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey4 October 2019
worker canteen, toalets and all spaces for employe are very dirty, you have too many things to do in a short time, managers and supervisors cannot decide which work is the most important,
too many misunderstandings,sometimes you only work 3 hours a day.
Work experience
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow4 October 2019
I was only on work experience in Poundland I was put in Poundland by my work coach, I enjoyed it but I didn’t understand much. I got very confused I was unsure on what i needed to do