Poundland
Information from Poundland:

Poundland Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,890 reviews
Found 1,890 reviews matching the search
good experience, friendly atmosphere, loads tasks to do in short time, stupid rules, not following any health and safety rules, perfect team, old equipment,
I don't know if it was just the store I worked in and the manager I had but this job - sales assistant - was absolutely terrible. The job when you apply is advertised to you like the best job ever, and I didn't even have an interview, I was just approached by the manager (whose staff turnover is outrageous) and told they had a contract for 12 hours, and as I was unemployed, I took it and wish I hadn't.

The only good parts of the job were the wages, the friends I made with ex-colleagues, and a fraction of customers. But that's it. As a student, I study full time and was expected to work as soon as I finished classes at 6pm and work til late. I worked 20+ hours in a weekend alone when I was only meant to work 10-12, and would easily finish 8pm-10pm most nights when I'd be put down for a 6pm finish. The manager locks the entrance so that staff cannot leave at their "finishing time", and I was made to finish other people's jobs as they would be sent home for no reason during the day.

If for some instance you could not attend work due to sickness or family bereavement, and especially in my case, being a student at university, you would be made to feel incredibly guilty even if it was out of your control.

Also, the manager would sometimes give you the day off, letting you know the night before via text, and then later you would find out they were actually using up your holiday days, to get around the hours model. Supervisors and Assistant Managers in my team were also made to work 12-14 hours with no days off and hardly any breaks, they would finish late around midnight/1am
 - more...
Pros
Pay is good but not worth it
Cons
Long hours, bad management, bad life/work balance
The staff and management here have an incredible sense of humour, but also great teamwork skills. There’s never a dull moment, as they’ll always have a task for you (which i loved). The management team really do treat you as an individual, not just someone helping them earn money. I had to leave due to personal circumstances, but I’d go back in a heartbeat!
Pros
Management, Staff, Fast-Pace
Cons
Not the best pay
The job itself. Fine but management got me opening and closing all weekends. I never got any time to myself, not even a Sunday to recharge as I was always expected to work every single weekend without fail whilst management got the weekends mostly off. Supervisors are just the back end for anything that goes wrong regardless of how much effort and hours you sink in, you still get chopped and watched on CCTV like you were a shoplifter.
Pros
None apart from the lovely customers.
Cons
Everything.
Definately felt the dread coming in for a shift knowing the fact most stores are gossip centralised and managed poorly by kids who have only just passed their GCSE’s. Managers that sit on their backsides most shifts will happily bark the orders and hand out the disciplinary processes to anyone regardless of the it wasn’t your fault. Bad pay for the work required and some even get let off with doing as little or bare work as possible. All about the clicks here.
Cons
Pitty party workplace, bad pay, senior management couldn’t run a bath.
Wouldnt work for this comoany ever again had an accident due to the companies own fault, no signs where put out to make people aware, the management are rubbish n dont no their jobs proper
Cons
Used to be a nice company to work for. Culture has changed dramatically in the last five years. No staff hours, managers expected to work many hours over contract with no bonuses or overtime. A lot of pointless store activities required which are alloted staff hours which are never enough so time has to be taken from elsewhere leaving short on tills etc. But hey, if you know the business manager well enough they'll find a promotion for you somewhere.
Pros
Reasonable pay if you stick to hours
Cons
Too many to list
Never work for this company! They sack staff off like no tomorrow. Never ending chaos of clearing deliveries, pulling in deliveries, cashing up and tidying up all with no staff but too many Indians on the tills during the day standing around doing nothing . Managers have daily ego trips couldn’t care about you! you’re just a number at the end of the day and they can find someone else tomorrow !
Cons
Bad pay, management, too much tasking, too many lazy till staff etc..
The management is terrible and seem to find fault in everything you do. Certain managers are bullies and will not stop until they get what they want. Final written warnings are given for ridiculous reasons and are pretty much given to anyone who the manager don't like. They expect so much of you but never get any hard work recognised

I wouldn't recommend working for this company to anyone. Absolute horrible place to work and you get treated like your in school.
Pros
Decent Salary
Cons
Rotating shifts, management and everything else about working for the company.
At the time I was there supervisor was condescending and not approachable. Fortunately because of this she moved on but only after I’d left. Couldn’t stand the place.
Pros
Cons
Shifts didn’t fit with public transport for early starts
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Poundland?
Bad pay but the job was okay. The people are friendly and I liked most things just not enough money. The job was pretty easy though because the people are payed back
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Pay
Your job isn’t safe and you’re easily replaced. No care for mental well-being. They will argue the fact you are unwell and blame you like you’re able to control it.
Pros
Better than the brew.
Cons
Everything.
The company and the management itself is all one big click. Store managers in most stores I’ve worked in have employed most of their own families to come and work in these stores and are shamelessly promoted and get away with doing bare minimum. Classic favouritism across the board and if you’re disliked within these stores they will do their outright best to set you up to get rid of you or bully you until you resign. Really horrible company and I can say this from my 8 years experience in the company!
Cons
Bullying from higher up, treated awfully, no thanks, biggest clicks going!
Poorly paid for the amount of work that is expected from staff. You’re not just a Sales Assistant.. you’re a cleaner, supervisor, security guard you make it all into one role with no extra pay or training. Illegal right? The manager who is responsible for the mental decline in staff has now left the company but I will be looking towards legal action. A expose programme needs to come out about these thieves.
Cons
Not a great place to work in general, so many roles in one for minimum wage!
As soon as you start you’re thrown in the deep end with zero knowledge then shouted out by management by not knowing certain areas of the job. I have a learning disability and they didn’t care even though I informed them in the interview. Still got treated like rubbish and expected too much for a first day. Only lasted couple of weeks
Pros
Cons
Bad job, treated awfully, bad pay
Really bad company that relies on the cheap labour of their own employees on zero hour contracts. How about free labour as Poundland were caught underfire a couple years back for using the job centre back to work schemes, making hundreds of vunerable people work for free. Tried to cover it up badly like it never happened. All round terrible company to work for. The pay is another level so bad.
Cons
Everything about the company
I started my job as supervisor and after about 4 to 6 month I was made up to assistant manager they were always good if you were good at your job there was always a chance to get the promotion
Pros
Always good to show if you worked hard you good always work your way for promotionard
Cons
Not that many cons prove how hard you workbut you had
Would not work for poundland again as a mature worker you have no way of progressing into any other role except for sales asisstant has they only promote people under 25 ro supervisor or managment roles so if you want to advance your in jobroles avoide this company
Pros
Cons
Bad management, vindictive supervisors
I worked for this company for 4 years and saw a few different managers pass through all of which was good to work for. A very good experience to work for this company wouldn’t hesitate to go back.
The manager couldn’t even speak English and the staff were harsh. People got away with stealing from the store all the time and products sold where cheap and ethical.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Personally working here was not enjoyable, most of the customers that come in to the store are rude. Management were rude about needing sick time off. The management are very difficult to work with as were some of my colleagues. I was not allowed to move from the till to go to the bathroom. Was forced to carry very heavy loads even though it was almost physically painful for me to do so.