Post Office Ltd Employee Reviews

Fun, safe workplace
Postal Worker (Former Employee) –  Bury3 October 2017
Working at the post office was a great first job for me. I loved working there and would recommend it to anyone! It was fun and productive and I made so many friends there but it is hard work!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Early hours
Not what i expected
Post Office Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Falkirk3 October 2017
Although i was vetted by the post office to work in their branch, i was managed by the shop owner and paid by him as well. Never received a pay slip or contract, no holidays. Pay was below national minimum wage.
Great Employer
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 October 2017
Great pay & benefits, I spent 28 years of my life there. Lots of opportunities for development & progression. great work colleagues, very interesting work
Pros
Great Benefits
Interesting & Well Loved Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Moorgate, London28 September 2017
The Post Office is the second most trusted brand in the UK and generally loved by its regular customers.

A typical day at work can be extremely diverse, obviously very much dependent on your role and the Team you are part of.

I learnt a great deal from my experience at The Post Office - both positives and negatives.

Some Managers are very forward thinking and incredibly supportive. Others are very much "old school" and averse to change and progression.

The workplace culture is mixed. There are a number of social events and activities and charitable support but there is still an overall communication issue and some Teams continue to work in silo without collaborating with others working on similar issues or projects.

The hardest part of the job is really dependent on your remit and the objectives / KPIs which you have been set. These can also directly affect bonuses across the whole business.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of people. Some employees have only ever worked at The Post Office (40 years plus in some cases!) working alongside newer employees who have worked in a more traditional, commercial environment.

The Post Office really is its own "bubble world" and I have not encountered another business like it in all of my working life.
Pros
Extremely employee focused, good pension plan, competitive salaries with a structured bonus scheme dependent on personnel grade.
Cons
Old fashioned and not forward thinking, employ too many Contractors on ridiculous daily rates with little knowledge of the business.
Rewarding but dangerous
Sub Postmistress (Former Employee) –  High Grove, Gatley25 September 2017
Loved most things about this position, especially the relationship with my customers. Unfortunately, cash attracts danger and I suffered through a lot of attempted, sometimes sucessful armed robberies.
Pros
Building Relationships, Product Growth, Rewarding Renumeration.
Cons
Long Hours including visits to wholesalers outside business hours.
Fun
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 September 2017
You get to work with a great team and the managers are very understanding. As many are being franchised a lot of jobs are being lost however the work environment is pleasent depending on your team.
Pros
Great team
Cons
High targets
tough job not all can do
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gorton Manchester21 September 2017
Get till out set for day have a brew and then open up and work as is necessary use driving licence machine,bureaux,and serve and manage as well.It was fun but you couldn't talk to each other just serve,15 minute break morning and afternoon with 1/2 lunch as well.I learned to be polite good smile and be happy and stop fraud as well.
Pros
Paid the way
Cons
long hours but worth it
Good support and friendly staff
Postmistress (Former Employee) –  Fleet, Hampshire18 September 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed working here. Best part of the job was meeting and talking to all the customers. Found the job interesting and enjoyed the variety of work. Great place to learn new skills. Good benefits for staff.
Pros
Meeting customers and variety of work
Cons
Long hours and have to work weekends
Very busy not fun to work
Post Office Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shepherds Bush, Greater London14 September 2017
Very busy every day given people there pension & unemployment benefits selling travel insurance sorting out postage ,& bags for the post man.I also used to do road tax for customer.
Pros
Good benefit
Was challenging
Post Office Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edgware Road C Station8 September 2017
I learned any gained experience been one the team working with all different cultures and been part of the company though a lot experience. Learned a lot how to deal with customer and handling cash . I worked 4 years with post office ltd
Pros
Friends
Cons
Long train journey

Want to know more about Post Office Ltd?

Ask a question
Productive and Fun
paper round (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire4 September 2017
I enjoyed working here for the 2 years I did , I had a Saturday and Sunday morning paper round and got the £8 on Sunday morning . It is good if you are a morning person and can help you become one if you find it hard to get going in thw morning . I did this when I was younger than I am now and I believe it gives you a light but good understanding when coming into work .
Pros
Easy, Christmas bonuses
Cons
Rain
Taxing but satisfactory
Advanced Customer Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire26 August 2017
Any member of staff needs their wits about them to work for the Post Office. Some members of the public have very challenging life situations and attitudes. This can make for some risky moments.
Pros
Reasonable salary
Cons
Terrible customers at times
Better after restructuring.
CVIT Driver (Current Employee) –  Boldon Colliery22 August 2017
November 2016 the Boldon Colliery depot went through it 'modernisation'. This included us coming out of the external market and a huge drop in staffing levels. While this was a time of uncertainty that process is now completed. Having worked in the Post Office and at the same depot for 15+ years, I can honestly say the depot is in the best shape it has been in a long while. The mood in the depot has changed, attitudes have changed. With the loss of large numbers of staff it seems that negative attitudes have gone with. I've seen the 1 star review for our depot and id be surprised if it is from someone currently working in the depot.

While there is uncertainty about what's round the corner for the post office, we are 10 month into the change and confidence is creeping it that the future isn't as bleak as we expected.
Pros
Wages
Cons
understaffed at present
It's interesting and enjoyable
Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedworth, Warwickshire11 August 2017
I would say it's a good job. You learn many life skills and now I know how to do a range of things. I can send off a parcel. I can give out pensions, give out cash, pay pills such as gas or rent.
Fast and boring
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 August 2017
Working at the post office was very long and hard work because the amount of papers delivered gets changed and the houses change too soo it gets a bit confusing sometimes
Pros
Get to ride a bike
Cons
Early mornings
Helpful workplace
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester9 August 2017
Everyone's very friendly and the job isn't mentally challenging, the best part about it is communicating with all the different people you see a day and helping them with their accounts etc
A great place to work
Postal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stroud, Gloucestershire8 August 2017
I loved working here, it was nice providing a service to the public and the company trained me well and were interested in my development. Learn lots about currency and things like that
Productive workplace to increase social skills
Clerk, cleaning (Former Employee) –  Saltley6 August 2017
Amazing to meet such diverse customers, this is essential as it improve social skills thus securing a better future in job oppurtuinities. Furthermore I would like to emphasise the fact that working in a post office can be difficult at many times so for me over coming a lot of these difficulties would show that I'm ready for anything coming my way.
Pros
Getting to meet such diverse customers
Cons
Short breaks
Out moded, public sector culture,
Head of Security Operations (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 August 2017
Probably the worst place I have worked with low morale and a senior management culture which allowed bullies to operate. Having said that I expanded my knowledge base considerabley
Pros
Pension
Cons
Too much emphasis on process and not output
glorified checkout operator
Postal Officer/Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scotland31 July 2017
one doesn't need much brains to do the job as its all done by computer. made for a long ,slow day at work. carried many staff members who were slow, non productive and management were not interested as it was a "bum on seat"
Pros
Cons
too slow to effect changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Post Office Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.