Post Office Ltd Employee Reviews for Branch Manager

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Heavy workload with learning curve
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex5 April 2018
The post office such a large variety of services that it takes years to feel comfortable with any position in the company. There are a number of potentially dangerous repercussions with the law for mistakes made, but very little in the way of incentive to working alongside those risks. With the lack of government funding the hours are being cut from the business, but more is being asked of the employees with less time to accomplish it.
Much of my time in the post office has forced me to work 6 day weeks, cancel planned holidays, and sometimes work without breaks because of staffing issues that aren't resolved as a priority amongst higher management. In comparison there has been very little to be considered positive to hand in hand with the negative.
Christmas is always the hardest time of year in the job, but oddly is the most enjoyable because the customers can be the best part of the job provided you are great with customer service.
Pros
Customers are loyal
Cons
Too much is asked of staff for too little return
Good employer
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethnal Green, Greater London26 January 2018
Everyday is different
New things everyday
Full Management help
Friendly and Caring
When I was not authorized to use AEI machine
Work Time Learning
Pros
Free Lunch and flexible hours
Production fun based team ethic
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Haringey, Greater London19 June 2017
My responsibilities include, leading and managing a staff team of eleven to drive sales performance whiles offering excellent customer service.
The branch offered a range of services in line with it's layout. It contained a main counter area, a bureau de change position, a financial services office and a self service area for customers to handle their transactions without staff assistance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to understand and assist customers with their queries and problems.
Pros
frequent in- house coaching/ job training for all staff
Cons
working long hours at short notice
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Aldershot18 April 2017
I effectively lead the team to ensure that the profitability of the Post Office is maximised through driving
sales opportunities and exceeding customer satisfaction expectation, whilst operating effeciently and
managing loss within the set policies, including compliance and security measures at all times.
I am responsible for ensuring profitability of store, contrilling losses to target, controllable costs to
target, leadership of team, legal compliance, security and risk disciplines, store standards, accuracy of
monthly balance, recruitment and induction of Post Office staff.
A Productive Workplace
Branch Manager (OIC) (Former Employee) –  Walsall, ENG21 June 2015
Your typical 8 hour day, serving the general public to the services that are offered by Post Office Ltd, while working with the Sub-Postmaster. Given the area in which the branch was located, we had to deal with unsavory characters who failed to recognise the working relationship between members of staff and the general public, relying on our abilities to resolve conflict through win-win scenarios most of the time. However if the situation arose where a person presented themselves as a nuisance, they were requested to leave. Failing this, they would be led out by either the Sub-Postmaster or myself, unless a criminal offense occurred, in which case the Police would have to deal with the situation at hand.

I learned the nuances of Customer Services, that can be applied to any role that deals with the general public. That offence is taken, never given and to compose yourself as a professional at all times, regardless of the situation and your personal feelings on matters.

My primary role was to deal with financial matters relating to Post Office Ltd, as well as customer relations. Managing what time I had while working for Post Office Ltd, balancing paperwork to advance proceedings within the branch while also serving customers on a daily basis.

In the first year at Post Office Ltd, I was trained the technical aspects behind the job such as procedures with paperwork and the unique operating system in place. The main point I took away from working in my role at Post Office Ltd was to also approach encounters with staff in a similar way to encounters with customers and
  more... to respect your peers within the company. If any problem presented itself, our primary focus was how to resolve the problem. In the aftermath of any incident occurring; discussing with my colleagues and management on how to prevent any similar problems presenting themselves in the future and working with those who had made any errors to help them recognise their mistake for future reference.

The hardest part of the job was separating work and home life, as the job was a part of my family, so it was always there, but that in itself made working there enjoyable as my family was there to help me when I made any mistake.This aided me in perceiving how I should conduct myself as a professional, with this being my first job, I had the up most support from my family.
Pros
Workplace near my home
Cons
Had to work within the confines of a 'fortress' counter.
Can be stressful as staff has been reduced
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Newbury, ENG10 May 2015
Working with the general public can be trying at times. I have learnt a lot about how to deal with unions, it can be difficult to motivate colleagues as the unions will not allow the branch managers to give individual targets.
Pros
working for a large government company
Cons
hard targets to meet on reduced staffing
Productive and much needed community position.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Oldham, ENG16 October 2014
A typical working day for a full time member of staff at Post Office Counters Ltd, was long, especially at busy times of the working month, working with the public from 8.30am until 5.30pm, with the job then continuing after the office was closed.
It was a continual learning environment, as times changed, especially the introduction of Post Office own computerised systems and the ever altering systems and styles from the Government relating to social services, financial entitlements of customers, introduction of new ways of taxation of vehicles etc (the list is endless), which both the organisation and the staff within it had to be very flexible along the way.
Co-workers all had to be responsive to this ever changing environment, or the office would not have run smoothly and effectively, and perhaps this was one of the hardest aspects of a managerial role within this position.
The hardest part of this role that I found, was that sometimes, no matter what was done, there were occasions when you couldn't help a customer, although you had tried to the best of your ability.
Working the majority of my time within Oldham town centre (I did also work at other branches within the North West), it was vitaly important to be aware of the needs and requirements of the diverse community.
I found my role most enjoyable, when customers on a whole received a friendly and efficient service, along with helping individuals with their needs, if we could as a team. The Post Office is a vital part of the community, however, I realised when I left this position to start my family, that this
  more... was not cohesive (on a full time level) with a young family.  less
Pros
Busy and ever changing
Cons
Sadly full time working hours did not fit with nursery childcare facilities

Want to know more about Post Office Ltd?

Ask a question