Post Office Ltd Employee Reviews

Sad times now
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside28 September 2018
Used to be a great job, varied transactions, meeting nice customers and helping them. From Banking, pensions , Travel, Dvla, Passport Agency , Insurance as well as traditional postal services . You have to be interested in learning about the different services as there are a wide variety of products .
Pay is good and benefits package, unfortunately gone from a public service to a hard sales culture, be prepared to upsell on everything, even a stamp, and you will be measured on this . Personally it has spoiled the work place environment and is now a " cash cow " in selling to anybody and aggressive management to put.
Pros
Pay, Customers, Variety
Cons
Sad sales culture, cutbacks, Management ?
Fantastic place to work - when you're not franchised off
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  UK1 November 2018
Fantastic rates of pay and working hours if working for Post Office Ltd (In a 'Crown' office). Unfortunately there is no longer any stability in the Crown Offices as they are franchising off the branches, reducing standards and with no thought for the staff or customers.
The senior managers are underhand and get rid of hardworking and profitable offices without any care for the staff and their families, or for what the customers actually want.
20years ago you might have got a career with the Post Office, but not any more.
Pros
Pay and benefits. Working hours and holiday
Cons
No stability and not appreciated by the business
well organised and reliable
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff18 April 2018
very busy environment, completing all manner of post office counter work. Processing various benefits car tax, utility bills, personal & company banking, mailing and lots of administrative work. I learned customer relations, money handling & accounting and bookwork.
Management were very organised and efficient and run the post office very well. workplace culture was friendly and efficient. The hardest part of the job was detaining people's benefit books as directed by government. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people.
Pros
Well respected job in local community.
Cons
relentlessly busy from open untill close, often had to skip lunch and breaks.
ok
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  London19 September 2018
Having the responsibility of handling money, assisting customers and ensuring their few minutes in the post office is a positive trip, helping other clerk staff in the office and having a drive to pursue more each day, weighing packages and taking in returned packages by customers, ensuring they are kept in the correct places in the correct order.
Perform any combination of tasks in the post office, such as receive letters and parcels; sell postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes; fill out and sell money orders.
Being the first attentive in the office when customers need advice for licence/insurance letters, oysters, DVLA and more, helping customers withdraw their money, counting money and helping customers and staff build a mutual trust.
Pros
Security
Cons
Very Long hours
challenging and very productive
Counter Clerk (Current Employee) –  Enfield5 July 2018
its a very long day at work, serving and talking to customers all day at work whilst carrying heavy items too. the working culture is amazing, friendly nice supportive colleagues. A serious downside is you dont get to take break properly because queues get so long and manager will call you out to help.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
benefits are rubbish
No such thing as a typical day
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen19 July 2018
In the post office you have to be ready for anything. We can have extremely busy days and oddly calm days.
We have a variety of services and our customer base is extremely large. Working with different services means different situations from handling mail and ensuring customers items are delivered, to foreign currency and a variety of insurances. Ensuring customer satisfaction is the common aspect of the role.
The management will be dedicated to ensuring the customer has the best deal.
Its really enjoyable meeting so many people and getting to know your regulars, they can make your day when the pop in to pay a bill or send a card.
I had fun sereving customers
Post Office Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tetbury8 October 2018
The customers are great and always prepared to learn your name if your a new face and they always like to get to know you well as they believe they will feel more at ease with you handling their money and their banking stuff
Pros
Customers
Cons
Depending on management but in my experience it would be the manager
Very busy workplace
Counter Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ware5 January 2019
Always very busy especially at Christmas time. I have learnt a lot about money. Management are very approachable,the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people every day.
Pros
Hour for lunch
Cons
Long day
Customer service
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Upminster6 June 2018
work quickly.
Effective time management.
Able to manage finance.
To cope with peak times and being calm through tough situations.
Being friendly and welcoming towards customers.
Pros
Able to meet different customers everyday
Post Office Clerk
Post Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear13 August 2018
I always enjoyed my job as a Post Office Clerk meeting customers,helping them with their queries to a satisfactory outcome.I particularly liked the variety of the work dealing with passports,DVLA , Royal Mail,banking,you didn't know what you were going to do to help your next customer.
I enjoyed being part of a team, working together.
Pros
Variety
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shirebrook, Derbyshire29 May 2018
Working at the post office is a good job. I enjoyed it because the staff were friendly and was offered a competitive salary, an easy job to learn and provide you with essential skills.
hard work, under pressure, reliable and consistent
Customer Service Consultant / Travel sales (Former Employee) –  Blackfriars, southwark station4 February 2018
I have worked for this company for 28 years and have seen many changes for the company to now become profitable.
It has good benefits if you work hard and can work under pressure.
It has enabled me to be flexible from full time to part time , so that I could bring up my children.
It was flexible with hours to stay on and help the team, likewise when I needed to take time off .
I managed staff and was a solid member of the team who I helped daily with my skill set, especially the newer members,
I covered my managers absence, not just on annual leave but often for weeks at a time.
I enjoyed helping and understanding the customers needs which could be very demanding and varied.
I also continued training and qualified in excellence customer service and travel sales whilst working.
I love to learn and become comfortable, enabling me to help others.
Pros
reliable salary with 6 weeks annual leave, new changes
Cons
not knowing when the next office was up for franchise.
Labour-intensive
Courier (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull24 October 2018
Delivering mounds of papers and advertisements is no easy feat. One must be able to endure the weight. Very little interaction with management, whether that is a good or bad thing is up for debate.
Flexible Working
Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 October 2018
Flexible working: working from home. Good working conditions. Senior and lead teams visible and approachable. Good work culture with friendly staff. .
variety of transactions
Post Office Counter Clerk (Current Employee) –  Southend-on-Sea, Essex18 December 2018
When its busy, this is a great place to work. You never know what transaction your going to get next and dealing with some of the public is always a challenge, but when you can sort out their problems/concerns and they leave with a smile and thanks its worth it.
In quieter times the team can discuss issues that have arisen and we can swap feedback on any problems or concerns
Pros
god teamwork
Cons
less footfall
Heavy workload with learning curve
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex5 April 2018
The post office such a large variety of services that it takes years to feel comfortable with any position in the company. There are a number of potentially dangerous repercussions with the law for mistakes made, but very little in the way of incentive to working alongside those risks. With the lack of government funding the hours are being cut from the business, but more is being asked of the employees with less time to accomplish it.
Much of my time in the post office has forced me to work 6 day weeks, cancel planned holidays, and sometimes work without breaks because of staffing issues that aren't resolved as a priority amongst higher management. In comparison there has been very little to be considered positive to hand in hand with the negative.
Christmas is always the hardest time of year in the job, but oddly is the most enjoyable because the customers can be the best part of the job provided you are great with customer service.
Pros
Customers are loyal
Cons
Too much is asked of staff for too little return
Stressful but interesting
Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kiddderminster14 December 2017
This job was interesting but very stressful as you have a lot of money sat right next to you. The typical day would be getting into work getting your till out which is assigned to you and get yourself logged in. then you would make sure that everything is set up correctly and you had enough stamps and other products that you sold. The work culture is relaxed but also could be very stressful if something went wrong. The management is good. The hardest part of the job is having anywhere between £5 k to £15 k next to you in the till. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the customers that came in to the Post Office.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 July 2018
interesting, good, enjoy going to work, nice people, good work life balance, good brand on CV, enjoy going to work, large team, supportive, good social life
Learning and responsibility
Postal Officer (Former Employee) –  London11 March 2018
Every day was different, and every customer was different. Loved the variety.
A very unique job, every day was a learning day, either from the workplace, or the customers.
Managers who worked their way up in the job were easier to work for, but the post office started bringing in managers from outside the job, and the culture was very different. It made it an "them and us culture". Some personalities worked with us, but some were a bit of a jobsworth.
The hardest part of the job was when they changed the way things were done, but didn't pass the message on.
Enjoyed working with my colleagues, met some interesting people over the years, and most of the customers had interesting stories to tell.
great people
Project Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire30 November 2018
The people in my department make the job. working with a range of people of different ages, skills and backgrounds.
as part of the business relocated from Barnsley a few years ago there is now a long commute for many.
everyone is friendly and helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Post Office Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.