PORTSMOUTH CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Portsmouth City Council
Student Social worker (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire2 June 2018
It was a good organisation, I learnt so much during my placement year. The team was very supportive and I gained upon the statutory duties of social work.
reablement assistant
Rehab & Reablement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire14 May 2018
very rewarding, however the service was fairly new and was very quiet so most of the day spent sitting in the civic offices bored with nothing to do. our time was managed
great place to work
Financial Controller (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth19 April 2018
great place to work, perfect flexible work/life balance, good benefits from portsmouth city council, only issue is that there parking if you have a car however, good public transport near.
Pros
peopel
Cons
non
Poor management
Employment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth2 March 2018
Good schemes and love the job but is poorly managed and a lot of uncertainty in regards to job security. No chance for career progression and hours are being changed and are not as flexible as when I joined
Good environment and supportive team
Independent Domestic Violence Advocate (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire26 February 2018
Having left local authority employment and returned makes you realise what is important and what you take for granted from an employer. I have personally had a very positive experience. Good pay, pension and working conditions and ongoing training. Thumbs up from me! If you don’t like it go to the private sector
Pros
Processes, good working environment and training
Cons
People moaning about doing their job
Great Place to work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire18 February 2018
Great Management ethic and have met some great people during my time here. Only reason I am leaving is due to wanting to do contract work. Despite this I would come back
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
The Bully Culture
Independent Domestic Violence Advocate (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth4 February 2018
If Your Face Doesn't Fit!!!

What a shame. My work colleagues are a credit to the council. Management is the bad apple. The team are the best there is however the manager is an egoistic self grandising bully. Wake up PCC and sort out the problem!
Pros
Work colleagues and salary
Cons
Officious central based work place
Community Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  City of Portsmouth, Hampshire17 January 2018
A good employer.
Working at PORTSMO
Pros
Cons
Environment
unethical toxic environment and oppressive bullying work culture.
Civil Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth18 October 2017
Having worked for portsmouth city council I experienced an environment that can only be described as unethical and toxic.dog eat dog would be another term .it really was a playground gang mentality where if your face didn't fit you would find yourself an outsider regularly subjected to bullying behaviour from not only your workmates but management also.working for portsmouth city council is by far the WORST working experience I have had to endure.I would not recommend working for portsmouth city council as there is a very real bullying and harassment regime that is prevalent in that particular workplace.hard work and honesty is not rewarded but bullying and dishonesty is.Portsmouth city council is already a corrupt and broken establishment.....that is run and inhabited by incompetent pondlife and bottom dwellers.
Pros
good salaries.
Cons
oppressive, bullying and toxic environment.
pleasing
Garden Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire15 October 2017
it was a very good work environment and the staff was really helpful and respectful to everyone needs.
the work very demanding but extremely satisfying and enjoyable.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
seasonal
Great job
Park Warden (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth12 October 2017
This was a great job with nice people to work with , worked collecting money from tennis courts and bowling green, plus going from different parks in Portsmouth locking and making sure the buildings were secure
Pros
Working outside with the public
Cons
None that i can think of
Be respectful, kind and considerate of your clients
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southsea, Hampshire23 September 2017
If you work well and are open and honest you will benefit from job satisfaction and a good team to work with. The work is challenging both physically and mentally, particularly within dementia care. Regular training is required to maintain standards of care. A lot of this can be done online, but mandatory training such as moving and handling must be tested and refreshed in person with use of equipment such as active and passive hoists, slidesheets and rotundas as well as using the guiding principles.
Pros
Friendly team, good pension and rewarding
Cons
The work is tough and wages are low
Love the job
Technical Officer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire6 September 2017
Absolutely love the job I do and the interactions I have with the public and with internal staff. Unfortunately some managers are not personable and can speak to you like your worthless. HR weren't massively helpful in resolving the issue.
Pros
Short core hours
Cons
Bullying
Difficult job, difficult times.
Wellbeing Worker (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire31 August 2017
I was lucky enough to work for the Council pre austerity cuts and worked within a dynamic and creative team delivering quality interventions to the people of Portsmouth. However during my time at the Council we were subject to some appalling management decisions which resulted in several colleagues leaving. After coming through this, the Team became subject to consultation and was eventually merged with other services as part of a cost cutting exercise. I feel this exercise failed, not only the people working within the team, but the very people we were employed to support. We were made several promises regarding pay and progression within the new team, none of which came to fruition and resulting in me leaving as a pay cut meant that I would not earn enough to cover childcare costs.
Pros
Annual leave entitlement
Cons
Austerity cuts
Very Stressfull
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth14 August 2017
Very stressfull place has a time limit of around 6 years.
Dealing with emotional situations can be draining and upsetting at times.
frustration of situations as well when unable to comply with things.
Pros
Money not too bad had restaurant
Cons
Long Hours
Great employer but its facing hardline cuts to all services.
Infrastructure Engineer (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire13 July 2017
Portsmouth City Council is a great employer but with the current cuts to government sector organisations they are finding it difficult to maintain a stable working environment and provide job security.

During my time at Portsmouth City Council i gain a vast amount of experience in a wide variety of different IT subjects and applicable area's.

The hardest part of the job was to perform projects or upgrade systems with restricted to no funding available.

I enjoyed nearly all aspects of the job as there was so much to learn an do.
Pros
Great location, Friendly Coleauges, Work Variety
Cons
24/7 standby requirements, No career advancement
Awful
Green & Clean (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire20 June 2017
Horrid conditions. Wouldn't provide any cooling whilst working in a tower block where the windows wouldn't open during a heat wave. Management never checked on employees which lead to the majority skiving off leaving the few others to pick up the work load.
far to much work for so little money
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Civic Offices, Portsmouth15 May 2017
antiquated procedures, poor management, very poor training cold and small workspace.
best thing about the job is the people that work there are friendly
worse thing is they expect you to know all the rules and regs without any training
It was a productive place and very interesting, different activities involved
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth9 May 2017
Working at Portsmouth City Council was a productive day because each day they gave something different for me to do and somewhere different for me to go. These activities and places were not all the same, and they were interesting to go to because I learned new things about the professionals and what their different job roles were. I enjoyed this job because I was able to go around to different areas around Portsmouth and meet new people.
Pros
active, always busy, productive, communication
Used to be great until all the cuts
Housing (Former Employee) –  Civic Offices4 May 2017
This used to be a great place to work and then all the cuts, redundancies and pay freezes came in. No room for advancing or promotion. Stuck on a pay band and job for life. Used to have great training but budget cut. Lots of output and no input. Management let the team down. People great to work with and fun times. Pension good.
Pros
Pension
Cons
No room for promotion or payrise. Bad management